[ANN] Visual Text Editor + Calendar widgets demo

[ANN] Visual Text Editor + Calendar widgets demo

Dmitry Dorofeev
Hi all,

I have some Seaside code to work with JavaScript for
HTML Area Editor  http://xinha.python-hosting.com/
and calendar http://www.dynarch.com/projects/calendar/

The online demo is at:

http://mmm.seasidehosting.st/seaside/mmm

Most interesting thing is plugin for HTML Editor which allows
to manage pictures (and other files) on a server side and include
them into HTML by the user. Image manager itself stores files on disk
(not in Smalltalk image) so files may be served by Apache directly.

I do thumnails on the fly and store information about image size/width/height etc
in ImageSegments. One ImageSegment per directory with images.

There are still room for improvements, but I hope this can be usefull for others,
May be even in ShoreComponents or in Pier ?

Let me know if anybody interested

Thanks,
-Dmitry.

Re: [ANN] Visual Text Editor + Calendar widgets demo

Lukas Renggli
> The online demo is at:
>
> http://mmm.seasidehosting.st/seaside/mmm

Wow, great to see such things and have a running demo to try it out!

Is the source available somewhere?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: [ANN] Visual Text Editor + Calendar widgets demo

Dmitry Dorofeev
Nope,

Any advise where and how to publish it ?
Seems I need some help with bundling external JavaScript
libraries and images. Or just put help text with info where to grab
external files ?

At least I need to distribute my javascript plugin for xinha, which is not
available on the Web currently.

-Dmitry.

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> The online demo is at:
>>
>> http://mmm.seasidehosting.st/seaside/mmm
>

> Wow, great to see such things and have a running demo to try it out!
>
> Is the source available somewhere?
>
> Lukas

Re: [ANN] Visual Text Editor + Calendar widgets demo

Philippe Marschall
> Any advise where and how to publish it ?
> Seems I need some help with bundling external JavaScript
> libraries and images.

I proposed and implemented a FileLibrary that would solve this but nobody cared.

Cheers
Philiipe

Re: [ANN] Visual Text Editor + Calendar widgets demo

Dmitry Dorofeev
If that allows to unzip an archive onto disk during installation,
and somehow compatible with monticello I'd like to see it

-Dmitry.

Philippe Marschall wrote:

>> Any advise where and how to publish it ?
>> Seems I need some help with bundling external JavaScript
>> libraries and images.
>

> I proposed and implemented a FileLibrary that would solve this but
> nobody cared.
>
> Cheers
> Philiipe

Re: [ANN] Visual Text Editor + Calendar widgets demo

Avi  Bryant

On May 18, 2006, at 4:02 PM, Philippe Marschall wrote:

>> Any advise where and how to publish it ?
>> Seems I need some help with bundling external JavaScript
>> libraries and images.
>
> I proposed and implemented a FileLibrary that would solve this but
> nobody cared.

Sometimes stuff has to be mentioned a few times before people notice
it.  Why not describe how to use FileLibrary to help?  People might
discover they do care after all.

Speaking for myself, I suspect that FileLibrary is something that
would be good to integrate into the base Seaside distribution, but
that I just haven't had time to look at in detail yet to know for sure.

Avi

2006/5/18, Dmitry Dorofeev <[hidden email]>:
> If that allows to unzip an archive onto disk during installation,
> and somehow compatible with monticello I'd like to see it

No, unzipping is not supported but it could be added if that is
requested. The idea is that whatever kind of files can be served right
from Seaside without the need for an other sever like apache. These
files can be reference from other files or seaside applications.
But it is Monticello (or Changeset or whatever ) compatible.

repost:

The basic idea:
- We have a new type of application (WAFileHandler) that serves static
files from libraries.
- A library is a Sublass of WAFileLibrary.
- A file is a method in a library that returns a String or a ByteArray
(or something else that understands #asMIMEDocument).
- The external filename is created by the following convention: the
selector is the filename plus the capitalized exention. So for example
#mainCss becomes 'main.css'. This allows you to reference files from
other files.
- Mimetypes are guessed by the extension.
- WAStyle/ScriptLibraries are supported too. In their case '.css' or
'.js' is added to their selectors.
- There is a config interface for all this (application type is
'Static File Library') that allows you to configure all this stuff,
even upload files.
- There are methods on the class side of WAFileLibrary that allow you
to programmaticall add files to your library (or whole directories)
- there are tests for all this

No Sessions, no weak*, no continuations, no redirects, no filesystem
access, no ...

Cheers
Philippe

RE: [ANN] Visual Text Editor + Calendar widgets demo

Ramon Leon

> The online demo is at:
>
> http://mmm.seasidehosting.st/seaside/mmm
>

> Let me know if anybody interested
>
> Thanks,
> -Dmitry.

Hey, great work, I'm also interested, love to see the source published
somewhere.  Oh, and if those are seaside components, then they're
already Pier components, the file manager already looks handy, but if
the source is published, I know for certain I'll turn that calendar into
a Magritte component.

RE: [ANN] Visual Text Editor + Calendar widgets demo

Davide Varvello-2
Dmitry,

The Visual HTML editor demo does not work very well with Firefox.
Thanks
 Davide

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Visual Text Editor + Calendar widgets demo

Dmitry Dorofeev
Try this one

http://xinha.gogo.co.nz/xinha-nightly/examples/full_example.html

if that buggy as well, then it is Javascript, which is not mine.
What exactly is wrong ?
I use it with Mozilla  1.7.12 on FreeBSD without problems.
Just quite slow :-)

-Dmitry.

Davide Varvello wrote:

> Dmitry,
>
> The Visual HTML editor demo does not work very well with Firefox.
> Thanks
>  Davide

 The http://xinha.gogo.co.nz/xinha-nightly/examples/full_example.html works fine, I can see the toolbar, but unfortnately your demo is displayed as a simple textarea with a submit button (firefox 1.5.0.3).
I attach a screen capture

Davide

winmail.dat (39K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANN] Visual Text Editor + Calendar widgets demo

Philippe Marschall
> Sometimes stuff has to be mentioned a few times before people notice
> it.  Why not describe how to use FileLibrary to help?  People might
> discover they do care after all.
>
> Speaking for myself, I suspect that FileLibrary is something that
> would be good to integrate into the base Seaside distribution, but
> that I just haven't had time to look at in detail yet to know for sure.
>
> Avi

How to use FileLibrary

What does FileLibrary do
It allows to serve static files directly from seaside without the need
for a standalone server like Apache or configure Kom. These files can
reference each other (say a CSS references an image) and can be
distrubuted the same way as normal Smalltalk code (Monticello,
SqueakMap, ...).

How to create a FileLibrary
- First create the static files and put them in some directory. From
there they can reference the other files in the same directory
normally with their filenames.
- Make sure you have a "Static File Library" that servers your files.
This is a normal entry point type that you can find in your
/seaside/config application. If you don't already have one, you can
create it if you select "Static File Library" in the type field of the
"add entry point" dialog. For the rest of this text we assume you
chose "files" as the path.
- Create a subclass of WAFileLibrary, for the rest of this text I
assume its name is MyFileLibrary.
- To add the files to your file library there are two ways.
First programmatically with MyFileLibrary class >> #addAllFilesIn: /
#addFileNamed:. For example MyFileLibrary addAllFilesIn:
'/path/to/directory/with/files' or MyFileLibrary addFileNamed:
'/path/to/background.png'.
Two via the web interface. Go to your /seaside/config application and
there click configure for your "Static File Library". Select
MyFileLibrary in the "Add Library:" drop down and click add. Then
click "configure" behind MyFileLibrary. There you can add a file by
uploading it (select the file, then click "Add")

How to integrate a FileLibrary into your existing application
Files from a FileLibrary are ingetrated the same way other static
files are integrated. They have a constant path that is
'/seaside/<Static File Library>/<filename>' so for example.
'/seaside/files/background.png'.
So for CSS and JS files you would add a link in an #updateRoot: method
whereas for images you would pass the path to an #url: method.

Note that a "Static File Library" can consist of several file library
and can even have traditional script or style libraries.

Cheers
Philippe