[ANN] Writing books with Gutemberg

Damien Cassou
Hi,

Stéphane and I have been working on Gutemberg, a tool that converts
books written using the Pier syntax to PDF documents and HTML pages.

http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~DamienCassou/Pier-Gutemberg

This project is partially supported by ESUG http://www.esug.org/.

We are proud to announce the first alpha version of Gutemberg. This
alpha version has a nearly-complete PDF exporter and a
basically-working HTML exporter.

We use Inria infrastructure to build one example book:
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoForTheEnterprise/.

The long term goal is to facilitate collaborative book editing. We
don't want to impose a web browser and an active Internet connection.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: [sbe] Re: [ANN] Writing books with Gutemberg

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Oscar Nierstrasz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Cool, but why is called "Gutemberg" and not "Gutenberg"?

that's a feature

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: [Esug-list] [sbe] Re: [ANN] Writing books with Gutemberg

stephane ducasse
:)

Stef

On Mar 6, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM, Oscar Nierstrasz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Cool, but why is called "Gutemberg" and not "Gutenberg"?
>

> that's a feature
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: [ANN] Writing books with Gutemberg

Tudor Girba-2
This sounds quite fascinating.

Two questions:
- How do I use it?
- How are you generating the PDF?

Cheers,
Doru

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [ANN] Writing books with Gutemberg

Sabine Manaa
Hi,

Is it possible to use the pdf generator without Pier?
-> creating pdfs from smalltalk?
Could that be an alternative to Artefact?

Greetings
Sabine

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [ANN] Writing books with Gutemberg

Marcus Denker-4

On Mar 6, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to use the pdf generator without Pier?
-> creating pdfs from smalltalk?
Could that be an alternative to Artefact?

For pdf it does Pier -> Latex -> PDF

But PDF generation there are options:

Artefact, for Pharo and the right thing for report generation:

PDF4Smalltalk. This is for VisualWorks and a very complete PDF implementation:

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30857/artefact.pdf

Marcus

Re: [ANN] Writing books with Gutemberg

Sabine Manaa
Thank you Markus,

I am currently using Artefact, working example:
http://rka24.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/rka1.pdf

Greetings
Sabine

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 6, 2013, at 4:39 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 6, 2013, at 4:31 PM, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to use the pdf generator without Pier?
-> creating pdfs from smalltalk?
Could that be an alternative to Artefact?

For pdf it does Pier -> Latex -> PDF

But PDF generation there are options:

Artefact, for Pharo and the right thing for report generation:

https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/30857/artefact.pdf

Marcus

Re: [ANN] Writing books with Gutemberg

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
- How do I use it?

1/ write your document in a text file using Pier syntax (for an example file, check https://github.com/DamienCassou/pier-cl/blob/master/Sample.pier)

2/ compile this document using a dedicated script (for an example, check the download.sh and compile.sh scripts of https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/PharoForTheEnterprise-english)

3/ enjoy your  HTML and PDF files

- How are you generating the PDF?

I'm reusing the Pier->LaTeX converter of the Pier-Book project (with some modifications related to the fact we have separate files as input and not a whole book structure). The LaTeX and HTML converters have a notion of style that let you decide what exactly you want to produce (e.g., the LaTeX convertor can produce both standalone LaTeX and Square Bracket Associates' LaTeX files). We can imagine that the HTML convertor could have 2 styles as well, one to produce a single HTML page with the whole book, and another style with one page per chapter.

Winston Churchill

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Sabine Knöfel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it possible to use the pdf generator without Pier?

no, the whole project relies on a Pier parser and a Pier visitor that produces LaTeX.

Winston Churchill

Re: [ANN] Writing books with Gutemberg

stephane ducasse
This sounds quite fascinating.

Two questions:
- How do I use it?
- How are you generating the PDF?

We are finishing a version first :)
For the first version you will be able to
- edit a file in pier syntax
- generate latex file -> pdf
- generate html

Now in a second step
- see if we can offer online editing
- we will add more backends

In parallel we plan to migrate some chapters to the new formats.

Stef

[...]

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [ANN] Writing books with Gutemberg

Yanni Chiu

On 06/03/13 12:45 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:

> Now in a second step
> - see if we can offer online editing

How does this relate to Pier?

> In parallel we plan to migrate some chapters to the new formats.

Some chapters of what? PBE?

Can Gutemberg files be pulled into a Pier wiki?

Re: [ANN] Writing books with Gutemberg

Stéphane Ducasse

On Mar 6, 2013, at 9:52 PM, Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/03/13 12:45 PM, stephane ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Now in a second step
>> - see if we can offer online editing
>
> How does this relate to Pier?

For the moment we extended pier syntax (originally we thought it would be too far but in fact we just introduced
one new element).
So we will probably add this element into pier.

So this means that after we should be able to edit in pier.
Now the key point is that we do not want people to be forced to edit text in pier this is why we are focusing
on plain text file first.

>> In parallel we plan to migrate some chapters to the new formats.
>
> Some chapters of what? PBE?

Yes and
Deep into Pharo.
I want everything on the web AND in nice PDF.

> Can Gutemberg files be pulled into a Pier wiki?

not fully for now because they manage Chapter and Section while in pier you create section manually as component.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can Gutemberg files be pulled into a Pier wiki?

not fully for now because they manage Chapter and Section while in pier you create section manually as component.

but we want to let users do that if they want to.

Winston Churchill

On Mar 7, 2013, at 1:21 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can Gutemberg files be pulled into a Pier wiki?

not fully for now because they manage Chapter and Section while in pier you create section manually as component.

but we want to let users do that if they want to.

yes this is why this is for the future. :)