[ANN] Zürich Smalltalk Meetup Nov 8th, 2016

[ANN] Zürich Smalltalk Meetup Nov 8th, 2016

jtuchel
There are great news about the upcoming Smalltalker’s Meetup in Zürich.

We’ve found a conference room for the evening and will start off with a “show us your project” session in a room with a big screen and start the social part after your input at a nice Australian Steakhouse.

The best thing is: we already have a first session: Michal is going to show his new Gemstone-based persistence framework for Pharo. It can be used to develop in Pharo and keep your objects stored in Gemstone.

We need your input

This new setup with a meeting room adds more value to all of us: we can now not only talk about each others’ epxeriences and porjects, but see what they’re up to and what they found.

So to make this event an even better one than before, we need people who’d like to share their ideas, their latest work on some hobby or professional project. There’s no need for a full-fledged sales pitch with fog and visual effects and such, just bring your laptop and show us what you do! The room is reserved for ca. 1 hour, so we can have, say, 2-3 presentations before we leave for beer and steaks.

So if you have something interesting to show or would like to find people to join on some early project you’re starting/planning, give us a chance to learn about it. If you’ve built some interesting tool or use Smalltalk for something very special to you, let us know and share your fascination and ideas. We’ll sure appreciate that!

But if you spontaneously decide you want to show something or start some discussion, feel free to do so. You just need to be prepared that we might have to leave the room before it’s your turn. Timeslots are limited.

It would be good if you’d pre-announce your demo to me for two reasons: first, we can see if we need to rent tho room for a little longer, but even better, your topic might attract even more people so I can post your topic and make sure people get the message.

So where and when?

We’ll meet at 7pm on Nov 8th, 2016 at

Alpha Sprachwelt AG
Stadelhoferstrasse 10
8001 Zürich

Around 8-8:30 pm we’ll walk over to the Outback Lodge where we’ve reserved a table. With Steaks and Drinks we can discuss ideas, talk about the good old times or do some spontaneous hacking. For directions to the Lodge visit http://www.outback-lodge.ch/index.php/stadelhofen

How to register? How much is it?

This is a meetup of friends, so it’s free to come, we look forward to meeting you and keeping in touch. You pay your meal and drinks, but the rest is free.

We ask you to register on our Doodle page at http://doodle.com/poll/c9c7tatwqppyhkhq

Please also indicate in a comment to your registration if you want to give a short presentation.

See you soon in Zürich!

Re: [Seaside] [ANN] Zürich Smalltalk Meetup Nov 8th, 2016

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 1:35 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are great news about the upcoming Smalltalker’s Meetup in Zürich.

We’ve found a conference room for the evening and will start off with a “show us your project” session in a room with a big screen and start the social part after your input at a nice Australian Steakhouse.

The best thing is: we already have a first session: Michal is going to show his new Gemstone-based persistence framework for Pharo. It can be used to develop in Pharo and keep your objects stored in Gemstone.

Hi,

I would love to be in Zurich, but I obviously can't :(
So... is there a way to get some more info about that "Gemstone-based persistence framework for Pharo"? And who is Michal? Last name?

Thanks,

[...]

Hi Mariano,

Would be good to have you, there's a lot to learn from your work ;-)

Michal's full name is Michal Balda and honestly I have no idea yet if and how we'll learn more about his framework. I just know he's working on several very interesting things.

If you ask: will there be any recordings or minutes? The answer is simple: if any of the attendees volunteers to take notes and blog and post or record the presentations, chances aren't too bad. I am not sure I want to or can do that at the moment...

Joachim

Am 18.10.16 um 14:38 schrieb Mariano Martinez Peck:

[...]

Michal Balda

the short answer is: not yet.

The back story is: We have been experimenting with GemStone and Tugrik at work. While Tugrik appears to work very well (even though it is new and not yet finished), I found the overall architecture (Tugrik+Mongo+Voyage) a bit complicated. Tugrik is meant to be a replacement for Voyage-Mongo but actually uses parts of its implementation and behavior. I understand that it does so to mimic Voyage-Mongo so that switching from Mongo to GemStone is relatively painless. That does not fit our use case though - we don't need a replacement for Mongo since we haven't used it in the first place. We would also like to have something that we could possibly maintain ourselves, should the priorities of Esteban or Dale change in a few years (I don't want this to sound negative, I am sure they would not drop the support just because they want to, but I understand they are very busy and for us it is a certain risk we would like to mitigate).

While playing with Tugrik I came up with a few ideas so I started a clean Pharo image with the following task in mind: find a way of getting objects from Pharo to GemStone and back, as simply as possible, without any unnecessary dependencies. In other words, I wanted to see if I could create a simpler Pharo-to-GemStone persistence solution than the existing Tugrik+Mongo+Voyage stack. As of now it's still in an early phase but I already have something that could work. For the meetup in Zürich I want to have something to show (a small demo), or, if I run into any conceptual issues, to have a topic for discussion if anyone's interested.

I won't release it publicly until I am sure it works well. But I can guarantee you that if anything exciting does emerge, this mailing list will learn about it. It will definitely not be exclusive for the people who attend the meetup. I just want to use the opportunity of the meetup to get early feedback and/or input, maybe it will trigger a discussion about important issues that I haven't thought about yet. I am not at all a GemStone expert so the possibility is there.

Michal

On 18.10.2016 14:38, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Hi,

I would love to be in Zurich, but I obviously can't :(
So... is there a way to get some more info about that "Gemstone-based persistence framework for Pharo"? And who is Michal? Last name?

Thanks,

Re: [Seaside] [ANN] Zürich Smalltalk Meetup Nov 8th, 2016

Dale Henrichs-3

Michal,

This sounds quite exciting ... I was wondering how you were getting on with Tugrik+Mongo+Voyage and now I know :)

I would be very interested in helping you in any way that I can, just let me know.

Dale

On 10/19/2016 01:01 PM, Michal Balda wrote:

Hi,
[...]

Esteban A. Maringolo
> While playing with Tugrik I came up with a few ideas so I started a clean Pharo image with the following task in mind: find a way of getting objects from Pharo to GemStone and back, as simply as possible, without any unnecessary dependencies. In other words, I wanted to see if I could create a simpler Pharo-to-GemStone persistence solution than the existing Tugrik+Mongo+Voyage stack. As of now it's still in an early phase but I already have something that could work. For the meetup in Zürich I want to have something to show (a small demo), or, if I run into any conceptual issues, to have a topic for discussion if anyone's interested.

Interesting...

Will this work in a GemBuilder fashion? (getting replicas and
forwarders), or will it work more like James Foster's Jade client for
Dolphin that is, AFAIU, a text based protocol?

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Michal Balda <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

OK, I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

BTW, for your implementation, do you use ServerBlocks [1] ? It may be handy otherwise.

Best regards,

Michal

On 18.10.2016 14:38, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
Hi,

I would love to be in Zurich, but I obviously can't :(
So... is there a way to get some more info about that "Gemstone-based persistence framework for Pharo"? And who is Michal? Last name?

Thanks,

Re: [Seaside] [ANN] Zürich Smalltalk Meetup Nov 8th, 2016

EstebanLM

On 19 Oct 2016, at 22:55, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Michal,

This sounds quite exciting ... I was wondering how you were getting on with Tugrik+Mongo+Voyage and now I know :)

I would be very interested in helping you in any way that I can, just let me know.

yes, me too :)

Esteban

[...]

Reza Razavi

Thanks for having organized a new Zurich Meetup!

In case you would still have a free slot and interest, I'd be glad to have an informal discussion regarding "Web Pontoon", a framework for web application's that, by design, allow managing/adapting their own behaviour as content. It draws on Seaside (http://seaside.st) and Pier CMS (http://piercms.com) and was published in 2010 [1].

Looking forward to catching up with you again soon,

Cheers,

Reza

http://www.linked.in/in/razavi

[1] Web Pontoon: a method for reflective web applications, http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1942790.1942791