[ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Hilaire Fernandes
Dr. Geo (aka Dr. Geometry) 12.10 for iPad is available on AppStore. It
comes in two versions: gratis and paid.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dr.-geometry/id559858173?l=fr&ls=1&mt=8

Compare to the desktop versions, it is almost feature complete: only the
script and programmed figure can not be created or edited with this
version. However, sketches including scripts are interpreted and
rendered correctly on the tablet.

*Feedbacks* and *rating* are welcome and greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

http://drgeo.eu

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Peter Hugosson-Miller
Hej Hilaire!

I've bought the paid version, and it does look pretty nice. As you ask for feedback, I thought it would be OK to post it here, apologies to all if it's not appropriate!

Never having seen the app before, I was unable to find a help or tutorial button within my personal "frustration time". May I suggest that first-time users be started up in some kind of "newbie mode"?

I wanted to show this to my kids to demonstrate what amazing things are possible with Smalltalk, but for that to work I'd need to at least seem to understand it myself ;-)

Peter.

On 16 sep 2012, at 10:30, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dr. Geo (aka Dr. Geometry) 12.10 for iPad is available on AppStore. It
> comes in two versions: gratis and paid.
> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dr.-geometry/id559858173?l=fr&ls=1&mt=8
>
> Compare to the desktop versions, it is almost feature complete: only the
> script and programmed figure can not be created or edited with this
> version. However, sketches including scripts are interpreted and
> rendered correctly on the tablet.
>
> *Feedbacks* and *rating* are welcome and greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
>
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Great achievement, congratulations !

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Hilaire Fernandes
Hi Peter,

Interactive geometry software are very specilised software, so you need
to understand how it works. Tutorial are indeed important.

My main problem is speaking language.

I have written documentation in French at
http://www.drgeo.eu/screenshot-video
I can't produce an english documentation with a good quality level.

We have some video tutorial at
http://www.drgeo.eu/screenshot-video

Some of the video are in French other in English

But I should set up a Video channel for begginer to get started, it will
be a great idea. What do you think?

Next about tutorial button within DrGeo, yes it will be a nice addition.
It is someting I need to thing about.

Thanks for your feedback

Hilaire

Le 16/09/2012 11:53, Peter Hugosson-Miller a écrit :

> Hej Hilaire!
>
> I've bought the paid version, and it does look pretty nice. As you ask for feedback, I thought it would be OK to post it here, apologies to all if it's not appropriate!
>
> Never having seen the app before, I was unable to find a help or tutorial button within my personal "frustration time". May I suggest that first-time users be started up in some kind of "newbie mode"?
>
> I wanted to show this to my kids to demonstrate what amazing things are possible with Smalltalk, but for that to work I'd need to at least seem to understand it myself ;-)

> Peter.
>
> On 16 sep 2012, at 10:30, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dr. Geo (aka Dr. Geometry) 12.10 for iPad is available on AppStore. It
>> comes in two versions: gratis and paid.
>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dr.-geometry/id559858173?l=fr&ls=1&mt=8
>>
>> Compare to the desktop versions, it is almost feature complete: only the
>> script and programmed figure can not be created or edited with this
>> version. However, sketches including scripts are interpreted and
>> rendered correctly on the tablet.
>>
>> *Feedbacks* and *rating* are welcome and greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> http://drgeo.eu

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Peter Hugosson-Miller
Yes, I think that a beginners video channel would be a great idea!

When I get to the stage of understanding things enough, maybe I'll be able to help. I have English as my mother tongue, and my sister is French, and speaks excellent English. I'm not promising anything, but it does feel important to me at the moment ;-)

Peter.

On 16 sep 2012, at 12:14, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>

> Interactive geometry software are very specilised software, so you need
> to understand how it works. Tutorial are indeed important.
>
> My main problem is speaking language.
>
> I have written documentation in French at
> http://www.drgeo.eu/screenshot-video
> I can't produce an english documentation with a good quality level.
>
> We have some video tutorial at
> http://www.drgeo.eu/screenshot-video
>
> Some of the video are in French other in English
>
> But I should set up a Video channel for begginer to get started, it will
> be a great idea. What do you think?
>
> Next about tutorial button within DrGeo, yes it will be a nice addition.
> It is someting I need to thing about.
>
> Thanks for your feedback
>
> Hilaire
>

> Le 16/09/2012 11:53, Peter Hugosson-Miller a écrit :
>> Hej Hilaire!
>>
>> I've bought the paid version, and it does look pretty nice. As you ask for feedback, I thought it would be OK to post it here, apologies to all if it's not appropriate!
>>
>> Never having seen the app before, I was unable to find a help or tutorial button within my personal "frustration time". May I suggest that first-time users be started up in some kind of "newbie mode"?
>>
>> I wanted to show this to my kids to demonstrate what amazing things are possible with Smalltalk, but for that to work I'd need to at least seem to understand it myself ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Peter.
>>
>> On 16 sep 2012, at 10:30, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dr. Geo (aka Dr. Geometry) 12.10 for iPad is available on AppStore. It
>>> comes in two versions: gratis and paid.
>>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dr.-geometry/id559858173?l=fr&ls=1&mt=8
>>>
>>> Compare to the desktop versions, it is almost feature complete: only the
>>> script and programmed figure can not be created or edited with this
>>> version. However, sketches including scripts are interpreted and
>>> rendered correctly on the tablet.
>>>
>>> *Feedbacks* and *rating* are welcome and greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> http://drgeo.eu

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Hilaire Fernandes
You can take a look at this selection of video
http://www.dailymotion.com/group/drgeo-beginner

Need to be recorded again

Hilaire

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Hilaire Fernandes
Peter,

It will be terribly useful if you describe me where you get your
frustration time.

Thanks

Hilaire

Le 16/09/2012 11:53, Peter Hugosson-Miller a écrit :
> Never having seen the app before, I was unable to find a help or tutorial button within my personal "frustration time". May I suggest that first-time users be started up in some kind of "newbie mode"?

R: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Lorenzo
Hi Hilaire,

I am going to download a simplex algorithm for linear programming from a VSE
version I developed some years ago; are you (or some other people)
interested to it, as I have found that the porting is more complex than I
have imagined.

Grazie

Lorenzo

Re: R: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Hilaire Fernandes
Ho Lorenzo,

Philip wrote about simplex algorithm for DrGeo, but he did not gave
examples of use case. Right now I can not tell if I will use it for Dr. Geo.
But it is nice you asked.

Something I will use for sure in Dr. Geo is a Computer Algebra System
(even a simple one) written in Smalltalk.
Btw, does any of you know  Boris Gaertner, he worked in a CAS system in
Smalltalk ?
http://www.bgaertner.gmxhome.de/liouville.htm

Thanks

Hilaire

Le 16/09/2012 17:04, Lorenzo Schiavina a écrit :

> Hi Hilaire,
>
> I am going to download a simplex algorithm for linear programming from a VSE
> version I developed some years ago; are you (or some other people)
> interested to it, as I have found that the porting is more complex than I
> have imagined.
>
> Grazie
>
> Lorenzo

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Stéphane Ducasse
yes I meet boris once and this is a nice person.
Ask him if he want to release his code under MIT.

On Sep 16, 2012, at 5:22 PM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Ho Lorenzo,
>
> Philip wrote about simplex algorithm for DrGeo, but he did not gave
> examples of use case. Right now I can not tell if I will use it for Dr. Geo.
> But it is nice you asked.
>
> Something I will use for sure in Dr. Geo is a Computer Algebra System
> (even a simple one) written in Smalltalk.
> Btw, does any of you know  Boris Gaertner, he worked in a CAS system in
> Smalltalk ?
> http://www.bgaertner.gmxhome.de/liouville.htm
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 16/09/2012 17:04, Lorenzo Schiavina a écrit :
>> Hi Hilaire,
>>
>> I am going to download a simplex algorithm for linear programming from a VSE
>> version I developed some years ago; are you (or some other people)
>> interested to it, as I have found that the porting is more complex than I
>> have imagined.
>>
>> Grazie
>>
>> Lorenzo

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Peter Hugosson-Miller
Hehe, AFAIK, "frustration time" isn't a proper phrase, it's just something I made up to try and describe the time it takes from starting up a new program I've never seen before, until it makes me frustrated. In the best of cases that never happens, and I must say that it's highly personal, and depends largely on my expectations at the time.

In this case, I had already decided to buy the app, not knowing if I would have a use for it, just because I like to do things to help the Smalltalk community in any way that I can. In the back of my mind I also hoped it might be something I could use with my kids, to show them a bit about geometry, maths in general, and maybe even Smalltalk. I was not expecting a beautiful, polished finish, nor much in the way of documentation, but I'd hoped that, given a few minutes of time, there would be enough clues to be found by clicking and prodding around, to be able to make it do something cool.

Sadly, during the time I had available during that first look, I didn't manage to make anything happen at all, and I felt frustrated. I fear that someone with higher expectations might have become cross at that point, and that's why I wanted to suggest a tutorial button. Now I know that I just need to go and watch those demo videos before I try next time :-)

Good luck!

Peter

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Peter,

It will be terribly useful if you describe me where you get your
frustration time.

Thanks

Hilaire

> Never having seen the app before, I was unable to find a help or tutorial button within my personal "frustration time". May I suggest that first-time users be started up in some kind of "newbie mode"?

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Chris Muller-3
Hilaire, I completely admire your dedication.  Making great software
is a long road.  Congratulations.

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 3:30 AM, Hilaire Fernandes
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dr. Geo (aka Dr. Geometry) 12.10 for iPad is available on AppStore. It
> comes in two versions: gratis and paid.
> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dr.-geometry/id559858173?l=fr&ls=1&mt=8
>
> Compare to the desktop versions, it is almost feature complete: only the
> script and programmed figure can not be created or edited with this
> version. However, sketches including scripts are interpreted and
> rendered correctly on the tablet.
>
> *Feedbacks* and *rating* are welcome and greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
>
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Hilaire Fernandes
Dmitry Golubovsky (Android) and Esteban Lorenzano (iPad) proved to be
very reliable people to work with, they also have a good sense of human
relationship. Thanks you guys.

Now I hope, to see more Android and iPad Smalltalk Pharo applications.
It will really consolidate our ecosystem.

Thanks

Hilaire

Le 17/09/2012 03:16, Chris Muller a écrit :
> Hilaire, I completely admire your dedication.  Making great software
> is a long road.  Congratulations.

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Hilaire Fernandes
Peter,

I really need to know what were your expectations during this
frustration time, so I will have a very clear indication about what and
how I should improve. You can email me privately at hilaire AT drgeo.eu

Thanks

Hilaire

Le 16/09/2012 21:23, Peter Hugosson-Miller a écrit :

> Hehe, AFAIK, "frustration time" isn't a proper phrase, it's just
> something I made up to try and describe the time it takes from starting
> up a new program I've never seen before, until it makes me frustrated.
> In the best of cases that never happens, and I must say that it's highly
> personal, and depends largely on my expectations at the time.
>
> In this case, I had already decided to buy the app, not knowing if I
> would have a use for it, just because I like to do things to help the
> Smalltalk community in any way that I can. In the back of my mind I also
> hoped it might be something I could use with my kids, to show them a bit
> about geometry, maths in general, and maybe even Smalltalk. I was not
> expecting a beautiful, polished finish, nor much in the way of
> documentation, but I'd hoped that, given a few minutes of time, there
> would be enough clues to be found by clicking and prodding around, to be
> able to make it do something cool.
>
> Sadly, during the time I had available during that first look, I didn't
> manage to make anything happen at all, and I felt frustrated. I fear
> that someone with higher expectations might have become cross at that
> point, and that's why I wanted to suggest a tutorial button. Now I know
> that I just need to go and watch those demo videos before I try next
> time :-)

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Hilaire,

I bought a copy for iOS as well.

What are the differences between the free and paying versions ?

And yes, you need a Help button with things like an overlay showing the main functions, a short tutorial (anything is better than none), a couple of demo projects and links to your website for support.

Sven

On 16 Sep 2012, at 12:01, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great achievement, congratulations !

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu
Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

> Dmitry Golubovsky (Android) and Esteban Lorenzano (iPad) proved to be
> very reliable people to work with, they also have a good sense of human
> relationship. Thanks you guys.
>

> Now I hope, to see more Android and iPad Smalltalk Pharo applications.
> It will really consolidate our ecosystem.

I really hope!
We need more success stories like that one.

> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 17/09/2012 03:16, Chris Muller a écrit :
>> Hilaire, I completely admire your dedication.  Making great software
>> is a long road.  Congratulations.

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

EstebanLM
he, thanks... it is cool and stimulating to work with you too :)

On Sep 17, 2012, at 10:21 AM, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dmitry Golubovsky (Android) and Esteban Lorenzano (iPad) proved to be
> very reliable people to work with, they also have a good sense of human
> relationship. Thanks you guys.
>

> Now I hope, to see more Android and iPad Smalltalk Pharo applications.
> It will really consolidate our ecosystem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 17/09/2012 03:16, Chris Muller a écrit :
>> Hilaire, I completely admire your dedication.  Making great software
>> is a long road.  Congratulations.

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

EstebanLM
well... I will configure a jenkins jon next days (not so easy as it looks)... and I think that will make everything a lot easier.

Le 17/09/2012 10:31, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
> What are the differences between the free and paying versions ?

You can save sketch, draw circle and parallel line.

Hilaire

Re: [ANN] iPad Dr. Geo 12.10

Hilaire Fernandes
Le 17/09/2012 10:31, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
> What are the differences between the free and paying versions ?

You can save sketch and draw circle and parallel line

I am thinkng about video tutorial like
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tr8wjxf6n9bq1n9/drgeoBigHand.ogv

Hilaire