[ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Marcus Denker-3

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Mariano Martinez Peck
mmmmmmm are we already in  1.1 alpha ???   isn't it to early ?

Best

Mariano

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

       http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/24734/PharoCore-1.1-11035-alpha.zip

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, we have a 1.0 and a 1.1 stream now (actually since the sprint in
Lille).

I'm integrating remaining critical fixes for 1.0, while Stef and the
other integrators have started working on 1.1. I don't think it's too
early at all. It allows us to keep the pace to move forward with new
stuff, while stabilizing and afterwards maintaining the 1.0 release.

Just as a reminder, here are the main goals we have set for 1.1:

- New preferences system
- Integrate Alien
- Improve code quality (e.g., make selected Lint tests pass)
- Continuous integration system

(http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Milestones)

Cheers,
Adrian

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, we have a 1.0 and a 1.1 stream now (actually since the sprint in
Lille).

Yes I know that.

I'm integrating remaining critical fixes for 1.0, while Stef and the
other integrators have started working on 1.1. I don't think it's too
early at all. It allows us to keep the pace to move forward with new
stuff, while stabilizing and afterwards maintaining the 1.0 release.

Yes, but this is done just with separating the streams in 1.0 and 1.1. What I don't know if it is ok is to put alpha to 1.1.

I mean, when you tag something with alpha it means it is almost done and there are some bugs yet. But I think the job to be done for 1.1 is far more than just a couple of bugs. Maybe I wrong.

But it sound strange to me to see a RC of one version and an alpha of the following at the same time.

Cheers

Mariano

Just as a reminder, here are the main goals we have set for 1.1:

- New preferences system
- Integrate Alien
- Improve code quality (e.g., make selected Lint tests pass)
- Continuous integration system

(http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Milestones)

Cheers,
Adrian

On Nov 7, 2009, at 20:15 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> mmmmmmm are we already in  1.1 alpha ???   isn't it to early ?
>
> Best
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/24734/PharoCore-1.1-11035-alpha.zip

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Schwab,Wilhelm K
A 1.1 alpha under construction is great.  When do underscores appear, especially in class names?  I thought I saw that creeping forward, and want to register my encouragement of any effort to have that appear in 1.1.  Ok, I'll stop nagging :)

For 1.0, I'm still stuck by the SharedQueue2 problem.  I cannot load the sequencable collection fixes into either RC image - I thought I might be able to load it into RC1-dev and then file out the needed pieces into RC1-web, but no-go :(

Bill

Yes, we have a 1.0 and a 1.1 stream now (actually since the sprint in Lille).

I'm integrating remaining critical fixes for 1.0, while Stef and the other integrators have started working on 1.1. I don't think it's too early at all. It allows us to keep the pace to move forward with new stuff, while stabilizing and afterwards maintaining the 1.0 release.

Just as a reminder, here are the main goals we have set for 1.1:

- New preferences system
- Integrate Alien
- Improve code quality (e.g., make selected Lint tests pass)
- Continuous integration system

(http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Milestones)

Cheers,
Adrian

On Nov 7, 2009, at 20:15 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> mmmmmmm are we already in  1.1 alpha ???   isn't it to early ?
>
> Best
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/24734/PharoCore-1.1-11035-alp
>> ha.zip

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Put that way, I can't argue, unless 1.1 is meant to be a very small increment??
Some of the stuff under Future Milstones sounds great, so whatever pace is realistic is fine by me.

On Nov 7, 2009, at 20:59 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> A 1.1 alpha under construction is great.  When do underscores
> appear, especially in class names?  I thought I saw that creeping
> forward, and want to register my encouragement of any effort to have
> that appear in 1.1.  Ok, I'll stop nagging :)

It shouldn't be hard to do in 1.1. I discussed with Lukas today and
one open question is whether we want to enforce _ not being a valid
assignment already in 1.0. I fear a bit that people will complain
because they have to fix their code before being able to load it into
Pharo. Does anybody see a problem with this? From the previous
discussion I understand that most people would favor the change. But
is 1.0 too early?

> For 1.0, I'm still stuck by the SharedQueue2 problem.  I cannot load
> the sequencable collection fixes into either RC image - I thought I
> might be able to load it into RC1-dev and then file out the needed
> pieces into RC1-web, but no-go :(

Can you also try to load your code into a core image? The update I did
yesterday includes the SharedQueue2 fixes. Please let us know if it
does not fix the problem.

Adrian

> Bill

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, we don't use a "pre-alpha" tag [1] but start with alpha even
though the new features are not even being worked on. I think this
makes sense because we already have a running and working system. The
important distinctions between phases we need is alpha (i.e.,
unstable, experimental and unfinished stuff can go in), beta (feature
complete but with known problems), RC, and then the final release. I
don't think we would gain anything with an additional tag.

Cheers,
Adrian

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_stage
On Nov 7, 2009, at 20:57 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, we have a 1.0 and a 1.1 stream now (actually since the sprint in
>> Lille).
>>

> Yes I know that.
>

>> I'm integrating remaining critical fixes for 1.0, while Stef and the
>> other integrators have started working on 1.1. I don't think it's too
>> early at all. It allows us to keep the pace to move forward with new
>> stuff, while stabilizing and afterwards maintaining the 1.0 release.
>>

> Yes, but this is done just with separating the streams in 1.0 and
> 1.1. What
> I don't know if it is ok is to put alpha to 1.1.
>
> I mean, when you tag something with alpha it means it is almost done
> and
> there are some bugs yet. But I think the job to be done for 1.1 is
> far more
> than just a couple of bugs. Maybe I wrong.
>
> But it sound strange to me to see a RC of one version and an alpha
> of the
> following at the same time.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

>> Just as a reminder, here are the main goals we have set for 1.1:
>>
>> - New preferences system
>> - Integrate Alien
>> - Improve code quality (e.g., make selected Lint tests pass)
>> - Continuous integration system
>>
>> (http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Milestones)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Nov 7, 2009, at 20:15 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>>> mmmmmmm are we already in  1.1 alpha ???   isn't it to early ?
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Mariano
>>>
>>> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/24734/PharoCore-1.1-11035-alpha.zip

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Adrian,

Whatever you guys think about underscores timing is fine by me.  From my own perspective, there is no "too soon" but there might be for others.

My code is unlikely to load in the core.  Since the slice fixing SharedQueue2 was marked depdendent on sequenceable collection fixes that I can't load, I'm hesitant to get overly creative.  I suppose I could try loading the web image install script into a core image to see if it runs in a reasonable time.

Bill

On Nov 7, 2009, at 20:59 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> A 1.1 alpha under construction is great.  When do underscores appear,
> especially in class names?  I thought I saw that creeping forward, and
> want to register my encouragement of any effort to have that appear in
> 1.1.  Ok, I'll stop nagging :)

It shouldn't be hard to do in 1.1. I discussed with Lukas today and one open question is whether we want to enforce _ not being a valid assignment already in 1.0. I fear a bit that people will complain because they have to fix their code before being able to load it into Pharo. Does anybody see a problem with this? From the previous discussion I understand that most people would favor the change. But is 1.0 too early?

> For 1.0, I'm still stuck by the SharedQueue2 problem.  I cannot load
> the sequencable collection fixes into either RC image - I thought I
> might be able to load it into RC1-dev and then file out the needed
> pieces into RC1-web, but no-go :(

Can you also try to load your code into a core image? The update I did yesterday includes the SharedQueue2 fixes. Please let us know if it does not fix the problem.

Adrian

> Bill

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

pay attention alpha does not mean that we will close soon.
Alpha is now the wild period where a lot will be integrated.
Bill don;t worry as soon as lukas publish a slice we will integrate it.

Stef

On Nov 7, 2009, at 8:15 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> mmmmmmm are we already in  1.1 alpha ???   isn't it to early ?
>
> Best
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>        http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/24734/PharoCore-1.1-11035-alpha.zip

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Great_news :)  Thanks!!

pay attention alpha does not mean that we will close soon.
Alpha is now the wild period where a lot will be integrated.
Bill don;t worry as soon as lukas publish a slice we will integrate it.

Stef

On Nov 7, 2009, at 8:15 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> mmmmmmm are we already in  1.1 alpha ???   isn't it to early ?
>
> Best
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/24734/PharoCore-1.1-11035-alph
> a.zip

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Bill,

On Nov 7, 2009, at 21:23 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Adrian,
>
> Whatever you guys think about underscores timing is fine by me.
> From my own perspective, there is no "too soon" but there might be
> for others.
>
> My code is unlikely to load in the core.  Since the slice fixing
> SharedQueue2 was marked depdendent on sequenceable collection fixes
> that I can't load, I'm hesitant to get overly creative.  I suppose I
> could try loading the web image install script into a core image to
> see if it runs in a reasonable time.

Yes, the slice has quite some other changes. I just picked the three
methods that were added to SharedQueue2. If you want to try out these
changes, you can load Collection-Sequenceable-AdrianLienhard.39 from
the Pharo repository into your image.

Adrian

> Bill

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Miguel Cobá
El sáb, 07-11-2009 a las 21:12 +0100, Adrian Lienhard escribió:

> On Nov 7, 2009, at 20:59 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
> > A 1.1 alpha under construction is great.  When do underscores
> > appear, especially in class names?  I thought I saw that creeping
> > forward, and want to register my encouragement of any effort to have
> > that appear in 1.1.  Ok, I'll stop nagging :)
>
> It shouldn't be hard to do in 1.1. I discussed with Lukas today and
> one open question is whether we want to enforce _ not being a valid
> assignment already in 1.0. I fear a bit that people will complain
> because they have to fix their code before being able to load it into
> Pharo. Does anybody see a problem with this? From the previous
> discussion I understand that most people would favor the change. But
> is 1.0 too early?

Not too early for new projects that always used := for assigment but
older code has _ sometimes and they could't load them in 1.0 without
modification.

It should be allowed _ assignment on 1.0 but fully forbidden on 1.1.
Also, the release notes of 1.0 should remark quite loud that the _
assigment is obsolete and should never again be allowed.

> > For 1.0, I'm still stuck by the SharedQueue2 problem.  I cannot load
> > the sequencable collection fixes into either RC image - I thought I
> > might be able to load it into RC1-dev and then file out the needed
> > pieces into RC1-web, but no-go :(
>
> Can you also try to load your code into a core image? The update I did
> yesterday includes the SharedQueue2 fixes. Please let us know if it
> does not fix the problem.
>
> Adrian
>

> > Bill

Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Adrian,

That's in

   www.squeaksource.com/Pharo/

??  I think I found it, and it loaded(!!!) :)  Time for a run, then I will retry the RC1 build.

Bill

On Nov 7, 2009, at 21:23 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Adrian,
>
> Whatever you guys think about underscores timing is fine by me.
> From my own perspective, there is no "too soon" but there might be for
> others.
>
> My code is unlikely to load in the core.  Since the slice fixing
> SharedQueue2 was marked depdendent on sequenceable collection fixes
> that I can't load, I'm hesitant to get overly creative.  I suppose I
> could try loading the web image install script into a core image to
> see if it runs in a reasonable time.

Yes, the slice has quite some other changes. I just picked the three methods that were added to SharedQueue2. If you want to try out these changes, you can load Collection-Sequenceable-AdrianLienhard.39 from the Pharo repository into your image.

Adrian

> Bill

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, we don't use a "pre-alpha" tag [1] but start with alpha even
though the new features are not even being worked on. I think this
makes sense because we already have a running and working system. The
important distinctions between phases we need is alpha (i.e.,
unstable, experimental and unfinished stuff can go in), beta (feature
complete but with known problems), RC, and then the final release. I
don't think we would gain anything with an additional tag.

Yes, I agree with you it has no sense maybe to use the pre-alpha tag. However, I was wondering, not having any tag at this moment. When most of the work of 1.1 is done, then we tag alpha, then beta...etc.

If I remember correctly, Pharo 1.0 at the very beginning didn't have a alpha tag ?   only at the last months..but during the first year, I don't remember any tag, just Pharo core XXX version.

Anyway, I don't want to discuss the life cycle. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't a mistake when putting the name to the zip.

Best

Mariano

Cheers,
Adrian

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_stage
On Nov 7, 2009, at 20:57 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, we have a 1.0 and a 1.1 stream now (actually since the sprint in
>> Lille).
>>

> Yes I know that.
>

>> I'm integrating remaining critical fixes for 1.0, while Stef and the
>> other integrators have started working on 1.1. I don't think it's too
>> early at all. It allows us to keep the pace to move forward with new
>> stuff, while stabilizing and afterwards maintaining the 1.0 release.
>>

> Yes, but this is done just with separating the streams in 1.0 and
> 1.1. What
> I don't know if it is ok is to put alpha to 1.1.
>
> I mean, when you tag something with alpha it means it is almost done
> and
> there are some bugs yet. But I think the job to be done for 1.1 is
> far more
> than just a couple of bugs. Maybe I wrong.
>
> But it sound strange to me to see a RC of one version and an alpha
> of the
> following at the same time.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

>> Just as a reminder, here are the main goals we have set for 1.1:
>>
>> - New preferences system
>> - Integrate Alien
>> - Improve code quality (e.g., make selected Lint tests pass)
>> - Continuous integration system
>>
>> (http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Milestones)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>
>> On Nov 7, 2009, at 20:15 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>>> mmmmmmm are we already in  1.1 alpha ???   isn't it to early ?
>>>
>>> Best
>>>
>>> Mariano
>>>
>>> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/24734/PharoCore-1.1-11035-alpha.zip

Re: [ANN] prebuilt 1.1 #11035

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I had a very similar failure, and began to suspect a need for explicit gc.  I added that between the loading of my packages (from the cache), and turned it loose.  However, source.squeakfoundation.org appears to be down, so it can't get that far.

Bill