[ANN] sentry.io (OSS error tracking platform) SDK

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ANN] sentry.io (OSS error tracking platform) SDK

Peter Uhnák
I guess the subject should say [ANN] too... :)

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've made an experimental SDK for sentry.io to track errors in end-user installations.

Also usable as a Logger for Beacon (which I guess should be the primary way to use this).

... and  as an extension for Debugger (basically a replacement for ShoreLine, which is too simplistic for my needs).


Inline image 1

Peter

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] sentry.io (OSS error tracking platform) SDK

Stephane Ducasse-3
Nice :)

Do you send the stack?

Stef

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess the subject should say [ANN] too... :)


On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've made an experimental SDK for sentry.io to track errors in end-user installations.

Also usable as a Logger for Beacon (which I guess should be the primary way to use this).

... and  as an extension for Debugger (basically a replacement for ShoreLine, which is too simplistic for my needs).


Inline image 1

Peter


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] sentry.io (OSS error tracking platform) SDK

Esteban A. Maringolo
Thank you. It looks really nice. I enjoy every time I see Pharo integrated with a "regular" tool for Devops.

The only thing that concerns me is whether we should have a credentials manager of some sort, I cannot stop worrying about saving the username and password in plaintext, not only for Sentry.

Esteban A. Maringolo

2018-02-07 16:20 GMT-03:00 Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
Nice :)

Do you send the stack?

Stef

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess the subject should say [ANN] too... :)


On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've made an experimental SDK for sentry.io to track errors in end-user installations.

Also usable as a Logger for Beacon (which I guess should be the primary way to use this).

... and  as an extension for Debugger (basically a replacement for ShoreLine, which is too simplistic for my needs).


Inline image 1

Peter



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] sentry.io (OSS error tracking platform) SDK

Herby Vojčík
In reply to this post by Peter Uhnák


Peter Uhnák wrote:
> I guess the subject should say [ANN] too... :)
>
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I've made an experimental SDK for sentry.io <http://sentry.io> to
>     track errors in end-user installations.

For on-premise installations of sentry as well (probably yes, just
asking to be sure - we use on-premise one, not cloud-hosted sentry.io
directly).

Herby

>     Also usable as a Logger for Beacon (which I guess should be the
>     primary way to use this).
>
>     ... and  as an extension for Debugger (basically a replacement for
>     ShoreLine, which is too simplistic for my needs).
>
>     https://github.com/peteruhnak/pharo-sentry
>     <https://github.com/peteruhnak/pharo-sentry>
>
>     Inline image 1
>
>     Peter
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] sentry.io (OSS error tracking platform) SDK

Peter Uhnák
Do you send the stack?

yes, there is also option to send variable values, but it is not implemented yet

The only thing that concerns me is whether we should have a credentials manager of some sort, I cannot stop worrying about saving the username and password in plaintext, not only for Sentry.

In case of sentry, there's also public DSN that I guess I should use instead... (I don't know if users can do anything destructive with the SDK password.)

For on-premise installations of sentry as well (probably yes, just asking to be sure - we use on-premise one, not cloud-hosted sentry.io directly).

I assume their API is the same. I've used on-premises sentry (and wrote the SDK on day zero of using sentry.... so I am still learning how it even works :))

Peter

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 9:53 PM, Herbert Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:


Peter Uhnák wrote:
I guess the subject should say [ANN] too... :)

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    Hi,

    I've made an experimental SDK for sentry.io <http://sentry.io> to
    track errors in end-user installations.

For on-premise installations of sentry as well (probably yes, just asking to be sure - we use on-premise one, not cloud-hosted sentry.io directly).

Herby

    Also usable as a Logger for Beacon (which I guess should be the
    primary way to use this).

    ... and  as an extension for Debugger (basically a replacement for
    ShoreLine, which is too simplistic for my needs).

    https://github.com/peteruhnak/pharo-sentry
    <https://github.com/peteruhnak/pharo-sentry>

    Inline image 1

    Peter




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] sentry.io (OSS error tracking platform) SDK

Ben Coman
In reply to this post by Esteban A. Maringolo


On 8 February 2018 at 03:26, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you. It looks really nice. I enjoy every time I see Pharo integrated with a "regular" tool for Devops.

The only thing that concerns me is whether we should have a credentials manager of some sort, I cannot stop worrying about saving the username and password in plaintext, not only for Sentry.

Because of the way an Image persists data, leaking passwords and api keys when sharing an Image (e.g. for troubleshooting) is a concern.
For my use case, since this api key is only sent to an ffi callout, my solution was to read the password from file into volatile memory so 
it disappears when the VM exits.  See this line....
    externalVolatileSecret := ExternalAddress gcallocate: externalSize .
here...
(of course, not my real api key)

Such a custom solution is easy, but I've thought that something similar out of the box
with a GUI tool to manage it would be valuable to many. 

cheers -ben
 

Esteban A. Maringolo

2018-02-07 16:20 GMT-03:00 Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
Nice :)

Do you send the stack?

Stef

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
I guess the subject should say [ANN] too... :)


On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 10:55 PM, Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've made an experimental SDK for sentry.io to track errors in end-user installations.

Also usable as a Logger for Beacon (which I guess should be the primary way to use this).

... and  as an extension for Debugger (basically a replacement for ShoreLine, which is too simplistic for my needs).


Inline image 1

Peter




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] sentry.io (OSS error tracking platform) SDK

Stephan Eggermont-3
Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Such a custom solution is easy, but I've thought that something similar out
> of the box
> with a GUI tool to manage it would be valuable to many.
>

Definitely

Stephan