[ANN] soek.goodies.st discontinued

Ernest Micklei
Hi,

http://soek.goodies.st was launched at November 13, 2009 to fill in the need from Smalltalk developers to have online , searchable documentation for various open source Smalltalk projects in a similar style.

At least for a few months, the site was being updated with interesting projects to explore. Having Seaside docs and code easy accessible from a browser helped me while developing applications in the past. The XStreams project even lead to a new feature, the separation of public and private classes and methods.

However, the process of updating or extending the site with new versions and other projects was limited by my own effort, time and interest. Currently, it is not possible for others to submit or even update their project (Monticello or VW Store based).

Having access to outdated docs and source code kind of invalidates the site as it is now.
Perhaps a better approach is to have developers produce, update and even host their own documentation. Something like that should be community driven to make it work.

The source code for the generator is written in VisualWorks Smalltalk, is open-source MIT licensed and is available in the Cincom Public Store (Soek-All) including the CodeHtmlHighlighting package.  Drop me an email if you need assistance to get started and feel free to improve or extend it.

The site will be accessible for a limited time on http://soek.goodies.st.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

Happy Smalltalking,

^ Ernest

Re: [ANN] soek.goodies.st discontinued

Francisco Garau
Hi Ernest - honestly, I didn't knew about this very fine project - but you explain very well the reasons that made you take the sad decision to stop the service.

It would be great if someone can integrate your simple browser into tODE. I think they could live together very well.

I completely agree with you that the documentation should be produced by the community and not a single user. The problem is that there is usually not enough benefit to those producing the documentation. Not sure how others solve the issue.

- Francisco

PS: tODE has been awarded a prize - check out its video: