ANSI Tests on Dolphin 4

Bill Dargel
I'm doing some work that will use the ANSI DateAndTime and Duration
classes (and will probably need to define a number of other temporal
classes as well). I decided to check out the ANSI Test Suite to help in
getting up to speed. Has anyone gotten the tests to run with Dolphin 4?
I thought that the tests were set up to run on all dialects, but there
appears to still be a number of specific issues. Some details below.

I started by installing the package at
http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/DOWNLOAD/pepe/Pepe-Dol-08-07.pac
into Dolphin 4. The wiki page just identifies the package as being for
Dolphin, with no mention of version numbers. Doing a PepeProgram install
of the ansi tests from the file at
http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/DOWNLOAD/pepe/ansi.pepe has a
number of problems.

It tries to define the protocolNamesOrNil and protocolNamesOrNil:
methods in ClassOrganizer, however, Dolphin 4 doesn't have any
ClassOrganizer class. I hacked in a stubbed class for Class Organizer
and got the ansi.pepe file to at least load. But other problems crop up
with methods already in Dolphin that were overwritten. The change to
ClassDescription>>protocols, messes up the opening of a
ClassHierarchyBrowser. The overriding of the existing String>>trimBlanks
method (which tries to use a not understood withBlanksTrimmed method)
causes trouble in a number of places. Trying to actually run some of the
tests has BlockClosure not understanding #ifError: used in
MainTestCase>>runCase.

Not knowing how many other problems there might be, I thought it might
be a good time to stop and ask. Is there another version of the tests
somewhere better suited for Dolphin? Or is it just that they haven't yet
been made compatible with it?

Thanks for any info,
Bill Dargel            [hidden email]
Shoshana Technologies
100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA

Re: ANSI Tests on Dolphin 4

Peter van Rooijen
"Bill Dargel" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> I'm doing some work that will use the ANSI DateAndTime and Duration
> classes (and will probably need to define a number of other temporal
> classes as well). I decided to check out the ANSI Test Suite to help in
> getting up to speed. Has anyone gotten the tests to run with Dolphin 4?
> I thought that the tests were set up to run on all dialects, but there
> appears to still be a number of specific issues. Some details below.
>
> I started by installing the package at
> http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/DOWNLOAD/pepe/Pepe-Dol-08-07.pac
> into Dolphin 4. The wiki page just identifies the package as being for
> Dolphin, with no mention of version numbers. Doing a PepeProgram install
> of the ansi tests from the file at
> http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/DOWNLOAD/pepe/ansi.pepe has a
> number of problems.
>
> It tries to define the protocolNamesOrNil and protocolNamesOrNil:
> methods in ClassOrganizer, however, Dolphin 4 doesn't have any
> ClassOrganizer class. I hacked in a stubbed class for Class Organizer
> and got the ansi.pepe file to at least load. But other problems crop up
> with methods already in Dolphin that were overwritten. The change to
> ClassDescription>>protocols, messes up the opening of a
> ClassHierarchyBrowser. The overriding of the existing String>>trimBlanks
> method (which tries to use a not understood withBlanksTrimmed method)
> causes trouble in a number of places. Trying to actually run some of the
> tests has BlockClosure not understanding #ifError: used in
> MainTestCase>>runCase.
>
> Not knowing how many other problems there might be, I thought it might
> be a good time to stop and ask. Is there another version of the tests
> somewhere better suited for Dolphin? Or is it just that they haven't yet
> been made compatible with it?

Hi Bill,

Ralph Johnson is, as far as I am aware, the one who has been working on this
most recently.

http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/ANSI+compatibility+at+CS4

tells you what he said about this last January.

Ralph, I would love to see what you have at this point, too :-).

Regards,

Peter van Rooijen

> Thanks for any info,
> Bill Dargel            [hidden email]
> Shoshana Technologies
> 100 West Joy Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105  USA

Re: ANSI Tests on Dolphin 4

Richard A. Harmon
Hi:

I just sent Donald McQueen my latest Dolphin 4.0 reworked SUnits ANSI
Tests.  He's going to send it to Ralph Johnson, and I think Donald is
attendong CS4 and will take it along if useful.

It includes a Dolphin impl. of SIF that filesin .sif files to
Packages, & Packages out to .sif, Ian's ANSI Date and Time, My ANSI
ScaledDec. using integers instead of fractions internally, etc.

Some of my test are not too good (I'm no ST guru), but all ansi
messages at least have a stub test method.  Most of these are my trys
at writing exceptions test -- did not go well (I ain't figured
except.s out fully).

Anyone is welcome to the stuff, if it is useful.

Sorry I don't post more.  I moved and no long have a computer, and get
on the net at the pub. lib.