ARM64 VM for Manjaro/Arch

Patrick Henning
Hello, I am writing to ask how I can access the beta ARM64 VM for Arch-type Linux (I am using Manjaro in particular).

Thank you!
Patrick

Re: ARM64 VM for Manjaro/Arch

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi Patrick,
    we don't have a binary version of the VM yet. We are trying to use OBS to generate the packaging for the different distributions and architectures. This is working for Arch-like distributions for x86_64 but not for ARM (v7 nor v8). I have tried today to see if it is our problem or if it is only that OpenBuildService still does not support it.

In the meantime, I have added instructions to build the VM locally from the sources already generated. You can check it there:

If still, you are not able to build it, please let me know, and I can try to pass you a binary version of it.

I want to have binary packages for most of the distributions using the dependencies locally, but we need to manage the amount of manual work.

Cheers,
Pablo

Pablo Tesone.

Re: ARM64 VM for Manjaro/Arch

Patrick Henning
Pablo, thanks so much for your help!

I was able to build the VM successfully using the linked instructions, however when I try to use it to run either a Pharo 80 or Pharo 90 image it does not work.

I think the following bits from 'PharoDebug.log' may be relevant (full contents here: https://pastebin.com/9sk400WW):

```
Notice: Your VM is too old for this image. Please download the latest VM.
THERE_BE_DRAGONS_HERE
Your VM is too old for this image. Please download the latest VM.
15 February 2021 7:20:39.020558 pm

VM: unix - aarch64 - linux-gnu - CoInterpreter VMMaker-tonel.1 uuid: 058b0675-c577-0d00-8b88-c4860272d862 Feb 15 2021
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker-tonel.1 uuid: 058b0675-c577-0d00-8b88-c4860272d862 Feb 15 2021
- Commit:  - Date:

Image: Pharo9.0.0 [Build information: Pharo-9.0.0+build.1131.sha.feef73caa03d12fe52b55f38380a0c76a0812b66 (64 Bit)]
```

and:

```
Context>>evaluateSignal:
Receiver: BlockClosure>>on:do:
Arguments and temporary variables:
arg1: SubscriptOutOfBounds: 1
tmp1: ni
Receiver's instance variables:
sender: DiskStore class>>checkVMVersion
pc: 30
stackp: 2
method: BlockClosure>>#on:do:
closureOrNil: nil
receiver: [ Smalltalk vm interpreterSourceDate >= '2019-01-05' asDate
ifFalse:...etc...
```

Do you have any suggestions for how to fix this? I am thinking perhaps the date '2019-01-05' needs to be changed somewhere before compiling.

Thank you,
Patrick

Pablo Tesone.