Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ARM64 VM for Manjaro/Arch

Patrick Henning
Hello, I am writing to ask how I can access the beta ARM64 VM for Arch-type Linux (I am using Manjaro in particular).

Thank you!
Patrick

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ARM64 VM for Manjaro/Arch

tesonep@gmail.com
Hi Patrick, 
    we don't have a binary version of the VM yet. We are trying to use OBS to generate the packaging for the different distributions and architectures. This is working for Arch-like distributions for x86_64 but not for ARM (v7 nor v8). I have tried today to see if it is our problem or if it is only that OpenBuildService still does not support it.

In the meantime, I have added instructions to build the VM locally from the sources already generated. You can check it there: 

If still, you are not able to build it, please let me know, and I can try to pass you a binary version of it. 

I want to have binary packages for most of the distributions using the dependencies locally, but we need to manage the amount of manual work. 

Cheers,
Pablo

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 2:21 AM Patrick Henning <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello, I am writing to ask how I can access the beta ARM64 VM for Arch-type Linux (I am using Manjaro in particular).

Thank you!
Patrick

--
Pablo Tesone.
[hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
|

Patrick Henning
Pablo, thanks so much for your help!

I was able to build the VM successfully using the linked instructions, however when I try to use it to run either a Pharo 80 or Pharo 90 image it does not work.

I think the following bits from 'PharoDebug.log' may be relevant (full contents here: https://pastebin.com/9sk400WW):

```
===============================================================================
Notice: Your VM is too old for this image. Please download the latest VM.
THERE_BE_DRAGONS_HERE
Your VM is too old for this image. Please download the latest VM.
15 February 2021 7:20:39.020558 pm

VM: unix - aarch64 - linux-gnu - CoInterpreter VMMaker-tonel.1 uuid: 058b0675-c577-0d00-8b88-c4860272d862 Feb 15 2021
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker-tonel.1 uuid: 058b0675-c577-0d00-8b88-c4860272d862 Feb 15 2021
- Commit:  - Date:

Image: Pharo9.0.0 [Build information: Pharo-9.0.0+build.1131.sha.feef73caa03d12fe52b55f38380a0c76a0812b66 (64 Bit)]
```

and:

```
Context>>evaluateSignal:
Receiver: BlockClosure>>on:do:
Arguments and temporary variables:
arg1: SubscriptOutOfBounds: 1
tmp1: ni
Receiver's instance variables:
sender: DiskStore class>>checkVMVersion
pc: 30
stackp: 2
method: BlockClosure>>#on:do:
closureOrNil: nil
receiver: [ Smalltalk vm interpreterSourceDate >= '2019-01-05' asDate
ifFalse:...etc...
```

Do you have any suggestions for how to fix this? I am thinking perhaps the date '2019-01-05' needs to be changed somewhere before compiling.

Thank you,
Patrick

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021, at 2:18 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
Hi Patrick, 
    we don't have a binary version of the VM yet. We are trying to use OBS to generate the packaging for the different distributions and architectures. This is working for Arch-like distributions for x86_64 but not for ARM (v7 nor v8). I have tried today to see if it is our problem or if it is only that OpenBuildService still does not support it.

In the meantime, I have added instructions to build the VM locally from the sources already generated. You can check it there: 

If still, you are not able to build it, please let me know, and I can try to pass you a binary version of it. 

I want to have binary packages for most of the distributions using the dependencies locally, but we need to manage the amount of manual work. 

Cheers,
Pablo

Thank you!
Patrick

--
Pablo Tesone.

Reply | Threaded
|

Patrick Henning
Hi again, apologies for polluting the conversation but feel free to ignore the previous message. I figured out what was going on and now everything is working as expected!

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021, at 7:30 PM, Patrick Henning wrote:
Pablo, thanks so much for your help!

I was able to build the VM successfully using the linked instructions, however when I try to use it to run either a Pharo 80 or Pharo 90 image it does not work.

I think the following bits from 'PharoDebug.log' may be relevant (full contents here: https://pastebin.com/9sk400WW):

```
Notice: Your VM is too old for this image. Please download the latest VM.
THERE_BE_DRAGONS_HERE
Your VM is too old for this image. Please download the latest VM.
15 February 2021 7:20:39.020558 pm

VM: unix - aarch64 - linux-gnu - CoInterpreter VMMaker-tonel.1 uuid: 058b0675-c577-0d00-8b88-c4860272d862 Feb 15 2021
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker-tonel.1 uuid: 058b0675-c577-0d00-8b88-c4860272d862 Feb 15 2021
- Commit:  - Date:

Image: Pharo9.0.0 [Build information: Pharo-9.0.0+build.1131.sha.feef73caa03d12fe52b55f38380a0c76a0812b66 (64 Bit)]
```

and:

```
Context>>evaluateSignal:
Receiver: BlockClosure>>on:do:
Arguments and temporary variables:
arg1: SubscriptOutOfBounds: 1
tmp1: ni
Receiver's instance variables:
sender: DiskStore class>>checkVMVersion
pc: 30
stackp: 2
method: BlockClosure>>#on:do:
closureOrNil: nil
receiver: [ Smalltalk vm interpreterSourceDate >= '2019-01-05' asDate
ifFalse:...etc...
```

Do you have any suggestions for how to fix this? I am thinking perhaps the date '2019-01-05' needs to be changed somewhere before compiling.

Thank you,
Patrick

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021, at 2:18 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
Hi Patrick, 

Cheers,
Pablo

Thank you!
Patrick

--
Pablo Tesone.