AS/400 and Dolphine ODBC interface

Theo Pronk
Normal calls using ODBC to the AS/400 (iSeries etc) DB2 are quite simple
and work very well. eg create table, select, update, delete etc.

However, when trying to evoke a stored procedure some problems occur.
Procedures without parameters work but when trying to pass a parameter
with the program it fails.

e.g. c exec: 'call pgm1'  works fine

but c exec: 'call pgm2 parm'  does not.

(note: c is the connection)

This could be that I'm not using the right syntax any ideas?

Thanks,
Theo

PS Thanks, Jeffrey for your earlier e-mail. I still have some other
ToolKit problems and am trying to see if ODBC can solve them.

Re: AS/400 and Dolphine ODBC interface

Christopher J. Demers
"Theo" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:bignbh$96g9h$[hidden email]...

> Normal calls using ODBC to the AS/400 (iSeries etc) DB2 are quite simple
> and work very well. eg create table, select, update, delete etc.
>
> However, when trying to evoke a stored procedure some problems occur.
> Procedures without parameters work but when trying to pass a parameter
> with the program it fails.
>
> e.g. c exec: 'call pgm1'   works fine
> but c exec: 'call pgm2 parm'  does not.
> (note: c is the connection)
>
> This could be that I'm not using the right syntax any ideas?

I don't have any personal experience with this, but a quick check on Google
( http://www.gooogle.com ) leads me to think you should try 'call
pgm2(parm)' or  'call pgm2(parm1 , parm2)' etc...  You might also need to
terminate with semi-colons, but I am not sure if that is required.  See the
DB2 documentation for more specific syntax information.

Chris

Re: AS/400 and Dolphine ODBC interface

Diaz Cortez
hi all

>> but c exec: 'call pgm2 parm'  does not.
try
| st |
st := c prepare: 'call pgm( ?) '
st values: #( 1)
st paramCols: #( aDBCollAttr) " aDBCollAttr is one of DBCollAttr class"
st exec

i' thinks this work .

hope this help

  MDC

"Theo" <[hidden email]> escribió en el mensaje
news:bignbh$96g9h$[hidden email]...

> Normal calls using ODBC to the AS/400 (iSeries etc) DB2 are quite simple
> and work very well. eg create table, select, update, delete etc.
>
> However, when trying to evoke a stored procedure some problems occur.
> Procedures without parameters work but when trying to pass a parameter
> with the program it fails.
>
> e.g. c exec: 'call pgm1'   works fine
>
> but c exec: 'call pgm2 parm'  does not.
>
> (note: c is the connection)
>
> This could be that I'm not using the right syntax any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
> Theo
>
> PS Thanks, Jeffrey for your earlier e-mail. I still have some other
> ToolKit problems and am trying to see if ODBC can solve them.

Re: AS/400 and Dolphine ODBC interface

Blair McGlashan-2
Theo

You wrote in message news:bignbh$96g9h$[hidden email]...
> Normal calls using ODBC to the AS/400 (iSeries etc) DB2 are quite simple
> and work very well. eg create table, select, update, delete etc.
>
> However, when trying to evoke a stored procedure some problems occur.
> Procedures without parameters work but when trying to pass a parameter
> with the program it fails.

If you find that others' suggestions do not solve your problems and you are
using prepared statements, then you might like to try the following hot fix
patch:

http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/Update/Dolphin/5.1/1260.st

Essentially this corrects a problem initially found in conjunction with SQL
Server that the DBConnection packages always specifies the parameters
direction an in/out regardless of the actual parameter direction.

This patch will be included in the forthcoming Patch Level 2 for Dolphin
5.1.

Regards

Blair

P.S. http://www.object-arts.com/Lib/Update/Dolphin/5.1/51PL2List.htm lists
other patches that are available at the same location. The naming scheme for
the patch files is the same as the above link, i.e. substitute the defect
number as the file stem. The exceptions are #1258 and #1259 which require
new DLLs; IPDolphinToGo.DLL and DolphinCR005.DLL respectively. The former is
available as a zip or dll from the same location. #1259 is a minor cosmetic
issue so we haven't made a new compiler available yet.