Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ;-)

12

Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ;-)

Michael Rueger-6
Hi all,

while further battling full unicode support I ended up refactoring
ParagraphEditor to the extend that there a no references to the inst var
sensor left. There are still a few references to the global Sensor though.

With moving the model inst var down we could now basically get rid of
class Controller :-)

Class KeyboardBuffer is gone already.

All that needs to be done is moving the utility methods in
ScreenController to e.g. Display so we can remove that subclass of
Controller as well.

Volunteers?

Michael

Re: Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ; -)

Rob Rothwell
Michael,

Do you mean:

fullScreen:
fullScreenOff
fullScreenOn
isFullScreen
lastScreenModeSelected
toggleFullScreen

???

I mean, that actually looks like something I can handle if you think of me like a first year apprentice who needs very specific instructions!  Where do you want them to go?  It's the whole change set thing that always takes me a while to figure out...!

Rob

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:06 PM, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

while further battling full unicode support I ended up refactoring
ParagraphEditor to the extend that there a no references to the inst var
sensor left. There are still a few references to the global Sensor though.

With moving the model inst var down we could now basically get rid of
class Controller :-)

Class KeyboardBuffer is gone already.

All that needs to be done is moving the utility methods in
ScreenController to e.g. Display so we can remove that subclass of
Controller as well.

Volunteers?

Michael

Re: Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ; -)

Rob Rothwell
The class side methods seem easy enough to move to the instance side of DisplayScreen so that the global Display can execute them.  Just some hunting down of the senders of those methods to do.  All that remains on the instance side is:

ScreenController>>objectForDataStream: refStrm
    "I am about to be written on an object file. Write a path to me in the
    other system instead."
    "| dp |
    dp := DiskProxy
                global: #ScheduledControllers
                selector: #screenController
                args: #().
    refStrm replace: self with: dp.
    ^ dp"
    ^ nil

Can this just go away if the class goes away?  I think I can do this for you...

Rob

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael,

Do you mean:

fullScreen:
fullScreenOff
fullScreenOn
isFullScreen
lastScreenModeSelected
toggleFullScreen

???

Rob Rothwell wrote:
> The class side methods seem easy enough to move to the instance side of
> DisplayScreen so that the global Display can execute them.  Just some
> hunting down of the senders of those methods to do.  All that remains on
> the instance side is:
>
> ScreenController>>objectForDataStream: refStrm

Yes, that can just go away with the class.

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Do you mean:
>
> fullScreen:
> fullScreenOff
> fullScreenOn
> isFullScreen
> lastScreenModeSelected
> toggleFullScreen
>
> ???
>
> I mean, that actually looks like something I can handle if you think of
> me like a first year apprentice who needs very specific instructions!
> Where do you want them to go?  It's the whole change set thing that
> always takes me a while to figure out...!

For Pharo it would actually be new versions of the affected packages
that you need to upload to the Pharo inbox :-)

I would suggest to migrate those to the global Display, which is an
instance of DisplayScreen.

Thanks!

Michael

Re: Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ; -)

Rob Rothwell
Michael

Can you try this then and tell me if I got it right?  Sorry I am not savvy enough to combine the removal of the class with the rest of the changes made.  When I try to us the change sorter to add that change, I just get a nil, and I can't figure out how to manually add it into the file without getting an error when I load it...sigh...

Anyway, the toggle full screen menu options work, the labels update appropriately, and if for some reason someone wants to us the full screen button on TheWorldMainDockingBar, it works too.  These are just instance methods of DisplayScreen now, and I referenced Display where appropriate.

Maybe you could tell me if I did this right and tell me how to properly upload to the Pharo inbox?  If you don't mind for this simple thing, then perhaps I could do other such simple tasks for you in the future.  I don't mind doing things like this that I can handle and contributing somehow when someone just needs grunt work like this done.  I'm sure I would learn some things along the way...

Take care,

Rob

RemoveScreenController.1.cs (10K) Download Attachment
RemoveScreenControllerClass.1.cs (188 bytes) Download Attachment

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
For Pharo it would actually be new versions of the affected packages
that you need to upload to the Pharo inbox :-)

So, in this case, that would be

DisplayScreen, and somehow the removal of ScreenController?

Rob

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     For Pharo it would actually be new versions of the affected packages
>     that you need to upload to the Pharo inbox :-)
>

> So, in this case, that would be
>
> DisplayScreen, and somehow the removal of ScreenController?

Rather the related Monticello packages.

For DisplayScreen that would (or rather should) be Graphics-Display
Objects, but Pharo right now has only one large Graphics package.

For ScreenController it would be ST80-Kernel-Remnants which ends up
being part of ST80.

Michael
P.S.
the cc [hidden email] address seems to bounces when sending through
my mail server

Rob Rothwell wrote:
> Michael
>
> Can you try this then and tell me if I got it right?  Sorry I am not

Seems to work in my image.

> savvy enough to combine the removal of the class with the rest of the

You could simply append the remove to the file using a text editor.

Michael

Re: Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ; -)

Igor Stasenko
2009/2/24 Michael Rueger <[hidden email]>:
> Hi all,
>
> while further battling full unicode support I ended up refactoring
> ParagraphEditor to the extend that there a no references to the inst var
> sensor left. There are still a few references to the global Sensor though.

Yes! Yes! No direct refs to Sensor, please! :)

> With moving the model inst var down we could now basically get rid of
> class Controller :-)
>
> Class KeyboardBuffer is gone already.
>
> All that needs to be done is moving the utility methods in
> ScreenController to e.g. Display so we can remove that subclass of
> Controller as well.
>
> Volunteers?

i'd really like to help but i currently swamped by own stuff :)

> Michael

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ; -)

Rob Rothwell
Michael,

I published:

Graphics-RobRothwell.78
Morphic-RobRothwell.275
ST80-RobRothwell.62
System-RobRothwell.230

to the pharo inbox, removing references to ScreenController and the ScreenController class itself.  Maybe someone can tell me if I did this right!

Along the way I would ask if anyone wants anything done with TheWorldMainDockingBar, which doesn't use the new File Browser, and certainly doesn't have the same "look and feel" that Pharo seems to be evolving towards...

Hope this helps; let me know if I can help with other such rudimentary tasks!

Take care,

Rob

P.S.

I'll try to figure out why my email address is bouncing on you.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Michael Rueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rob Rothwell wrote:
> Michael
>
> Can you try this then and tell me if I got it right?  Sorry I am not

Seems to work in my image.

> savvy enough to combine the removal of the class with the rest of the

You could simply append the remove to the file using a text editor.

Michael

Re: Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ; -)

Damien Cassou
Hi Rob,

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> to the pharo inbox, removing references to ScreenController and the
> ScreenController class itself.  Maybe someone can tell me if I did this
> right!

thank you very much for your commit. Unfortunately, this will be a bit
hard for the release team to integrate your changes because the mcz
you published are related but not linked. Please provide a SLICE as
explained at http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/HowToContribute and
then your commit will be perfect I guess :-).

Thank you

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ; -)

Rob Rothwell
Thanks for pointing me towards the right way to do it.  I figured it would be challenging when there were so many packages, but I have never done this before!

I'll try to figure it out tonight...is there anything I need to do to "clean up" the "incorrect" packages I submitted?

Thank you,

Rob

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'll try to figure it out tonight...is there anything I need to do to "clean
> up" the "incorrect" packages I submitted?

Just asks the PharoInbox admins to remove them.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ; -)

Stéphane Ducasse
dont worry we will fix that.

On Feb 24, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Rob Rothwell
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'll try to figure it out tonight...is there anything I need to do
>> to "clean
>> up" the "incorrect" packages I submitted?
>
> Just asks the PharoInbox admins to remove them.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ; -)

cedreek
Just for information, couldn't Safaràa be introduced here ?

Re: Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ; -)

Lukas Renggli
> Just for information, couldn't Safaràa be introduced here ?

Safarà is not useable yet. It is too slow :-(

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Feb 26, 2009, at 4:51 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Just for information, couldn't Safaràa be introduced here ?
>
> Safarà is not useable yet. It is too slow :-(

So is it killed by over-engineering or over flexibility?

Stef

> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Aaah, the pain or ParagraphEditor refactoring ; -)

Lukas Renggli
>>> Just for information, couldn't Safaràa be introduced here ?
>>
>> Safarà is not useable yet. It is too slow :-(
>
> So is it killed by over-engineering or over flexibility?

Writing an editor is not trivial.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>> Safarà is not useable yet. It is too slow :-(
>> So is it killed by over-engineering or over flexibility?
>
> Writing an editor is not trivial.

Tell me about it ;-)
Is there anything to look at though, just curious from a Sophie point of
view how you approached the problem.

Michael

12