About Cuis -- Galea musteloides

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Juan

I was wondering about the name 'Cuis'.

So I went to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuis

which linked to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Yellow-toothed_Cavy

<citation>
The common yellow-toothed cavy (Galea musteloides) is a species of
rodent in the family Caviidae.[2] It is found in Argentina, Bolivia,
Chile, and Peru.
</citation>

And then I googled for the scientific name

Galea musteloides

and got some nice pictures.

I assume this the background of the name 'Cuis' for this variant of Smalltalk?

Regards
Hannes

Cuis.jpeg (11K) Download Attachment

Re: About Cuis -- Galea musteloides

Casey Ransberger-2
I need to finish the cartoon version and distribute it. I'd forgotten about that.

On Jun 15, 2012, at 1:13 PM, "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Juan
>
> I was wondering about the name 'Cuis'.
>
> So I went to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuis
>
> which linked to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Yellow-toothed_Cavy
>
> <citation>
> The common yellow-toothed cavy (Galea musteloides) is a species of
> rodent in the family Caviidae.[2] It is found in Argentina, Bolivia,
> Chile, and Peru.
> </citation>
>
> And then I googled for the scientific name
>
> Galea musteloides
>

> and got some nice pictures.
>
> I assume this the background of the name 'Cuis' for this variant of Smalltalk?
>
> Regards
> Hannes
> <Cuis.jpeg>

Re: About Cuis -- Galea musteloides

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

Yes, Cuis is the vulgar name for small country side rodents in Argentina
and elsewhere. I guess it applies to any member of the Caviinae
subfamily, including Microcavia and Galea.

Besides, here, 'cuis' is the onomatopoeia for the sound small rodents
make, such as 'squeak' is in English.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

H. Hirzel wrote:

> Hello Juan
>
> I was wondering about the name 'Cuis'.
>
> So I went to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuis
>
> which linked to
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Yellow-toothed_Cavy
>
> <citation>
> The common yellow-toothed cavy (Galea musteloides) is a species of
> rodent in the family Caviidae.[2] It is found in Argentina, Bolivia,
> Chile, and Peru.
> </citation>
>
> And then I googled for the scientific name
>
> Galea musteloides
>

> and got some nice pictures.
>
> I assume this the background of the name 'Cuis' for this variant of Smalltalk?
>
> Regards
> Hannes

Re: About Cuis -- Galea musteloides

Casey Ransberger-2
Below

On Jun 16, 2012, at 7:49 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Besides, here, 'cuis' is the onomatopoeia for the sound small rodents make, such as 'squeak' is in English.

I didn't know that:) I mean the onomatopoetic part.