About Deployment

Frederic Pluquet-3
Hello,

I use Seaside for a lot of personal development and I love its rapidity of development! But for real deployment there is a big disadvantage. At my knowledge, I have only two solutions to deploy an application: have an own server (what I do for the moment) or put my image on seasidehosting.

So I have a simple idea: it will be really cool if I can develop in Smalltalk with Seaside and I deploy the code in Php/MySql to put it in any common server.

I think this idea is not so crazy. I know there is a world between Smalltalk and Php (I know both well) but a way to implement this idea is perhaps the next one. The first step: the classes (and methods) used in Smalltalk must be translated into Php (some papers show that it is possible into Java for example). The second step are about the alive objects. Because in Smalltalk the alive objects are kept in memory (in the image), a possible solution is to create each object in Php and save them in a MySql database to retrieve them through each page.

An important point is that Php is a dynamic typed language. The convertion will be so easier than Java.

So my question is the next one to the Seaside developers: what are the big obstacles to achieve this goal ?

Some questions in my mind: What about continuations ? What about object reflectivity ?

Fréd
----
Frédéric Pluquet
Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Assistant
http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet

Re: About Deployment

Randal L. Schwartz

Frederic> An important point is that Php is a dynamic typed language. The
Frederic> convertion will be so easier than Java.

Even so, it's very unlikely that you could build anything as complex as the
WAContinuation class (which is fundamental to Seaside) without interpreting an
entire *new* object framework using PHP as essentially a VM, losing all of its
native object traits.

Frederic> So my question is the next one to the Seaside developers: what are
Frederic> the big obstacles to achieve this goal ?

Do you have 5 to 10 man-years to throw at this?

I think it's far easier to just allocate an appopriate host. :)

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: About Deployment

David Mitchell-10
Someone else made a run at this and called it phaux. It is written in
PHP and inspired by Seaside.
http://ev0l.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/phaux-is-phreaking-phat/

There hasn't been much activity, maybe you could pick it up. Of
course, if you read his blog, you'll hear the familiar story of
Smalltalk ruining him for other languages:
http://ev0l.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/smalltalk-has-spoiled-me/

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use Seaside for a lot of personal development and I love its rapidity of
> development! But for real deployment there is a big disadvantage. At my
> knowledge, I have only two solutions to deploy an application: have an own
> server (what I do for the moment) or put my image on seasidehosting.
>
> So I have a simple idea: it will be really cool if I can develop in
> Smalltalk with Seaside and I deploy the code in Php/MySql to put it in any
> common server.
>
> I think this idea is not so crazy. I know there is a world between Smalltalk
> and Php (I know both well) but a way to implement this idea is perhaps the
> next one. The first step: the classes (and methods) used in Smalltalk must
> be translated into Php (some papers show that it is possible into Java for
> example). The second step are about the alive objects. Because in Smalltalk
> the alive objects are kept in memory (in the image), a possible solution is
> to create each object in Php and save them in a MySql database to retrieve
> them through each page.
>
> An important point is that Php is a dynamic typed language. The convertion
> will be so easier than Java.
>
> So my question is the next one to the Seaside developers: what are the big
> obstacles to achieve this goal ?
>
> Some questions in my mind: What about continuations ? What about object
> reflectivity ?
>
> Fréd
> ----
> Frédéric Pluquet
> Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
> Assistant
> http://www.ulb.ac.be/di/fpluquet

Re: About Deployment

Julian Fitzell-2
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 8:18 AM, Frederic Pluquet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So my question is the next one to the Seaside developers: what are the big
> obstacles to achieve this goal ?
>
> Some questions in my mind: What about continuations ? What about object
> reflectivity ?

Hi Frédéric,

You can always make do without continuations anyway - they're
completely optional in Seaside 3.0.

But object-relational mapping is bad enough at the best of times.
Trying to simulate Smalltalk's object space that way sounds like a
nightmare. And then you need to simulate the behaviour of Smalltalk's
built-in classes and primitives if you want the application to run the
same. I'm not saying you mightn't be able to do this--it might just be
a Simple Matter of Programming--but it's going to cost a lot more in
development time than you'll ever spend on a virtual server (like
slicehost as Monty mentions).

I worked on a Seaside-inspired (well, Iowa-inspired, really) framework
in PHP for a client many years back. It was cool for a while to see
how far you could push PHP but it really started to get frustrating
and ugly after a while. Of course, I think that was before they
cleaned up their object implementation so you'd probably be in a
slightly better position than I was. Still, there have been various
frameworks in Ruby, Java, and PHP that take inspiration from Seaside
and I think you'd be better to just start with one of them - take the
key concepts of Seaside but apply them in a way that makes sense to
each language.

Julian

Re: About Deployment

LawsonEnglish
  On 12/1/09 9:18 AM, Frederic Pluquet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use Seaside for a lot of personal development and I love its
> rapidity of development! But for real deployment there is a big
> disadvantage. At my knowledge, I have only two solutions to deploy an
> application: have an own server (what I do for the moment) or put my
> image on seasidehosting.

You appear to have solved your problem, but in the future, you might
consider our hosting service: http://www.morphle.org/ which will offer
unique seaside/squeak solutions via dedicated Siliconsqueak hardware...

Lawson English

[hidden email] (not affiliated with squeakhosting.st)

Re: About Deployment

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:
 On 12/1/09 9:18 AM, Frederic Pluquet wrote:
Hello,

I use Seaside for a lot of personal development and I love its rapidity of development! But for real deployment there is a big disadvantage. At my knowledge, I have only two solutions to deploy an application: have an own server (what I do for the moment) or put my image on seasidehosting.

You appear to have solved your problem, but in the future, you might consider our hosting service: http://www.morphle.org/ which will offer unique seaside/squeak solutions via dedicated Siliconsqueak hardware...

wow...that's awesome. But there is something I don't understand. Siliconsqueak says:

"SiliconSqueak is a processor chip that will run almost all existing Squeak images without modification. It is a hardware "virtual machine"."

now...wouldn't that crash or break code?  If a squeak image is done using green threads and with this, I could have multiple native threads/CPUs...so?

thanks

Mariano

Lawson English

[hidden email] (not affiliated with squeakhosting.st)

Re: About Deployment

stephane ducasse
May be you should fix the typos on
        http://www.morphle.org/team/