About Iceberg

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

This is a thank you note about Iceberg.

I have been moving all my external and internal Pharo code to git/tonel/7 and on multiple occasions I have been pleasantly surprised about the functionality and performance of Iceberg. Basically, it just works.

Finally, Pharo code lives in standard open source and commercial repositories (git, GitHub, Bitbucket, ...), without losing anything.

I know that it took years to get here and that lots of code and community battles had to be fought. So thank you, to the whole team, you did a great job !

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
Proudly supporting Pharo

Re: About Iceberg

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi,

I just want to add my grateful voices in this thread.

Even as a vocal critic of the (gratuitous?) complexity of Git and the
dangers in the centralization via GitHub, Iceberg makes easy to use
modern VCS and get this feeling of momentum. I'm starting to port my
repositoies to a community hosted version of Gitea[1] and I hope to
contribute into extending Iceberg to support Fossil.

[1] https://gitea.io/

Thanks again,

Offray

On 19/2/19 7:32, Tim Mackinnon wrote:

> Yes I agree - when there is so much discussion and debate going on, its easy to lose sight of the hard work and determination that went into getting us to this brave new world. I too want to shout a big thank you for the tooling and also the support that goes along with that.
>
> I love been able to think a bit more polyglot, and use tools/languages more easily side by side - although of course I want to hold on to what makes Smalltalk special (which is tons of stuff).
>
> I particularly love being able to feel like its easier to contribute - updating readme’s and docs is trivial in a web browser now - just correct them and submit a PR. And on the receiving side - GitHub makes it easy to discuss the fix, alter it, or simply approve it. Equally - modern build tools easily detect the change, pull the code and rebuild and package it (and cheap scalable infrastructure).
>
> Its also getting easier and easier to submit code fixes too - and the VCS skills you learn doing this are transferable beyond Smalltalk - so its a big win win.
>
> So yes guys - thanks for hanging in for us!
>
> Tim
>
>> On 19 Feb 2019, at 08:50, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a thank you note about Iceberg.
>>
>> I have been moving all my external and internal Pharo code to git/tonel/7 and on multiple occasions I have been pleasantly surprised about the functionality and performance of Iceberg. Basically, it just works.
>>
>> Finally, Pharo code lives in standard open source and commercial repositories (git, GitHub, Bitbucket, ...), without losing anything.
>>
>> I know that it took years to get here and that lots of code and community battles had to be fought. So thank you, to the whole team, you did a great job !
>>
>> Sven
>>
>> --
>> Sven Van Caekenberghe
>> Proudly supporting Pharo
>> http://pharo.org
>> http://association.pharo.org
>> http://consortium.pharo.org

Re: About Iceberg

ducasse

> On 19 Feb 2019, at 17:45, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just want to add my grateful voices in this thread.
>
> Even as a vocal critic of the (gratuitous?) complexity of Git and the
> dangers in the centralization via GitHub, Iceberg makes easy to use
> modern VCS and get this feeling of momentum.

Yes
When MS bought github we thought that there is no risk because
we can move in no time to other services. I did not gitea but this is a nice idea.

>>> http://association.pharo.org