About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

Hannes Hirzel
Dear all

Sean DeNigris found out that refactoring with OmniBrowser (OB) does
not (yet) work in Squeak 4.1 trunk.

He loaded it following the instructions in the 'Extending the system'
workspace (help menu).

Comments?

Regards
Hannes

P.S. I'm sorry but currently though being interested of having OB in
Squeak 4.1 I cannot follow up on this (too many other threads open)

On 4/23/10, DeNigris Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Go to 'Help menu' / 'Extending the system'
>> <snip>
>> "Omnibrowser"
>> <snip>
>> "Refactoring engine and OB integration"
>

> I followed the instructions and they now load okay, yay!
> Except... the refactoring seems to be unusable, doh :(
>
> My first two refactoring attempts:
> * rename method - MessageNotUnderstood:
> SystemDictionary>>hasSpecialSelector:ifTrueSetByte:
> * extract method - clicking accept on the  'Changes: refactor source,
> extract method' pop-up does nothing - change is not made and pop-up stays
> there.
>
> Should I file bugs for these?  If so, for the package, or Squeak?  Are these
> packages even intended/supported to run in Squeak?
>
> Squeak 4.2-10006
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sean DeNigris

Re: About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

Edgar De Cleene

On 4/23/10 6:48 AM, "Hannes Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Sean DeNigris found out that refactoring with OmniBrowser (OB) does
> not (yet) work in Squeak 4.1 trunk.
>
> He loaded it following the instructions in the 'Extending the system'
> workspace (help menu).
>
> Comments?
>
> Regards
> Hannes
>
> P.S. I'm sorry but currently though being interested of having OB in
> Squeak 4.1 I cannot follow up on this (too many other threads open)
+1
OmniBrowser should be the default .
We must copy good things of Pharo and thanks our "cousins" for leading the
well done Squeak

Edgar

Re: About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Sean DeNigris found out that refactoring with OmniBrowser (OB) does
> not (yet) work in Squeak 4.1 trunk.
>
> He loaded it following the instructions in the 'Extending the system'
> workspace (help menu).
>
> Comments?

The versions of OB and Refactoring Engine loaded by that script are
developement snapshots, not releases. A "previous snapshot" worked well
with Squeak 4.1, but the OB/RE stuff got broken recently.

Levente

> Regards
> Hannes
>
> P.S. I'm sorry but currently though being interested of having OB in
> Squeak 4.1 I cannot follow up on this (too many other threads open)
>

> On 4/23/10, DeNigris Sean <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Go to 'Help menu' / 'Extending the system'
>>> <snip>
>>> "Omnibrowser"
>>> <snip>
>>> "Refactoring engine and OB integration"
>>

>> I followed the instructions and they now load okay, yay!
>> Except... the refactoring seems to be unusable, doh :(
>>
>> My first two refactoring attempts:
>> * rename method - MessageNotUnderstood:
>> SystemDictionary>>hasSpecialSelector:ifTrueSetByte:
>> * extract method - clicking accept on the  'Changes: refactor source,
>> extract method' pop-up does nothing - change is not made and pop-up stays
>> there.
>>
>> Should I file bugs for these?  If so, for the package, or Squeak?  Are these
>> packages even intended/supported to run in Squeak?
>>
>> Squeak 4.2-10006
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Sean DeNigris

Re: About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote
The versions of OB and Refactoring Engine loaded by that script are
developement snapshots, not releases. A "previous snapshot" worked well
with Squeak 4.1, but the OB/RE stuff got broken recently.
Okay, so how do we get the last known good version?  And is there a better way to do this i.e. that on-goingly, dynamically points to the last known good version?

I tried loading via Metacello, but:
  (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser) project latestVersion load.

failed with:
  [] in MetacelloFetchingMCSpecLoader>>linearLoadPackageSpec:gofer: 'should have found a reference'

I did a little investigating, but couldn't figure out what was going on.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

Tobias Pape
Hi,

Am 2010-04-23 um 15:10 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris:

> I tried loading via Metacello, but:
>  (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser) project latestVersion
> load.

What about

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser) project)
        updateProject;
        latestVersion load.

?

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
> What about
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfRefactoringBrowser) project)
>         updateProject;
>         latestVersion load.
Same error.

- Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

Andreas.Raab
On 4/23/2010 4:00 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>> Dear all
>>
>> Sean DeNigris found out that refactoring with OmniBrowser (OB) does
>> not (yet) work in Squeak 4.1 trunk.
>>
>> He loaded it following the instructions in the 'Extending the system'
>> workspace (help menu).
>>
>> Comments?
>
> The versions of OB and Refactoring Engine loaded by that script are
> developement snapshots, not releases. A "previous snapshot" worked well
> with Squeak 4.1, but the OB/RE stuff got broken recently.

Can you provide the "correct" package versions? I used your earlier
outline and it fetched the latest versions too :-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 4/23/2010 4:00 AM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> Sean DeNigris found out that refactoring with OmniBrowser (OB) does
>>> not (yet) work in Squeak 4.1 trunk.
>>>
>>> He loaded it following the instructions in the 'Extending the system'
>>> workspace (help menu).
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>
>> The versions of OB and Refactoring Engine loaded by that script are
>> developement snapshots, not releases. A "previous snapshot" worked well
>> with Squeak 4.1, but the OB/RE stuff got broken recently.
>
> Can you provide the "correct" package versions? I used your earlier outline
> and it fetched the latest versions too :-)

I don't know which they were, but when I posted the installer script the
"then latest versions" worked well together. So we should check out which
versions were the latest at the time and create a script which loads
those.

Levente

> Cheers,
>  - Andreas
>

>>> Regards
>>> Hannes
>>>
>>> P.S. I'm sorry but currently though being interested of having OB in
>>> Squeak 4.1 I cannot follow up on this (too many other threads open)

Re: About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

Casey Ransberger-2
There was a .sar (I think from Colin Putney?) that was supposed to be an official release. I will look for it in my old inbox.

(Casey become: Ronald)

--
Casey Ransberger

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Andreas Raab wrote:

>>> The versions of OB and Refactoring Engine loaded by that script are
>>> developement snapshots, not releases. A "previous snapshot" worked well
>>> with Squeak 4.1, but the OB/RE stuff got broken recently.
>>
>> Can you provide the "correct" package versions? I used your earlier outline
>> and it fetched the latest versions too :-)
>
> I don't know which they were, but when I posted the installer script the
> "then latest versions" worked well together. So we should check out which
> versions were the latest at the time and create a script which loads those.
>

> Levente

There are (at least) two kind of incompatibilities:
1) Squeak changes are not backwards compatible. Adding the following
methods fix two of these issues:

SmalltalkImage >> #keyAtValue: value
  "Answer the key that is the external name for the argument, value. If
  there is none, answer nil."

  ^globals keyAtValue: value

SystemDictionary >> #hasSpecialSelector: aLiteral ifTrueSetByte: aBlock

  ^Smalltalk hasSpecialSelector: aLiteral ifTrueSetByte: aBlock

2) OB uses Pharo-only methods. Adding the following methods fixes three
issues:

Behavior >> #withAllSuperAndSubclassesDo: aBlock

  self allSuperclassesDo: aBlock.
  aBlock value: self.
  self allSubclassesDo: aBlock

KeyboardEvent >> #setType: aSymbol buttons: anInteger position: pos keyValue: aValue charCode: code hand: aHand stamp: stamp

  ^self setType: aSymbol buttons: anInteger position: pos keyValue: aValue hand: aHand stamp: stamp

KeyBoardEvent >> #scanCode: anInteger

  ^self

With these five methods the script from the Help menu is able to load OB
and RE, and all OB and RE tests are green (you have to load them
yourself).
This doesn't mean that everything works as it should, for example the
browse button in the Code Critics window doesn't work.

Levente

>> Cheers,
>>  - Andreas

Re: About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

Colin Putney-2

On 2010-04-23, at 3:53 PM, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hmm. The email I had linked http://www.wiresong.ca/static/releases/OmniBrowser-2.0.3.sart  but that link seems dead.

Oops. I should have put in a redirect for that URL. The new location is here:

http://www.wiresong.ca/downloads/OmniBrowser-2.0.3.sar

Colin

Re: About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

Colin Putney

On 2010-04-23, at 2:48 AM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Sean DeNigris found out that refactoring with OmniBrowser (OB) does
> not (yet) work in Squeak 4.1 trunk.
>
> He loaded it following the instructions in the 'Extending the system'
> workspace (help menu).
>
> Comments?

Hi all,

Sorry for the radio silence on this. I very much want to have a new release of OB that works well on Squeak 4.1 and the trunk. I'm working on it, but I've been sick for the last few weeks, and it goes slowly.

Colin

Re: About OmniBrowser support in Squeak 4.1 trunk

Hannes Hirzel
Sorry for that - take care. We can wait ....

Best wishes
Hannes

On 4/24/10 2:53 AM, "Colin Putney" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for the radio silence on this. I very much want to have a new release of
> OB that works well on Squeak 4.1 and the trunk. I'm working on it, but I've
> been sick for the last few weeks, and it goes slowly.
>
> Colin

Que te mejores pronto , Colin

Edgar