About Pier and Squeak

Serdar Sahin
Hi,

I want to install pier to my Linux server. I have downloaded pier and seaside from squeakmap, then i have saved it, then i have uploaded it to my server that image. I have started the headless squeak with that image. But it doesn't worked. I should give some commands (like wakom 8080). But i cannot write command to the headless server. I don't have any gui. So, how can i save the seaside when it works. I have started seaside with "wakom" command then i have saved it. But when i restart the seaside it did not work. In shortly, i have to write some commands to the headless server or i have to save the seaside when it works..

Thanks,

sorry for my english..

Re: About Pier and Squeak

Damien Cassou-3
Hi Serdar,

first of all, there is a mailing list dedicated to Smallwiki, Pier and
Magritte. You can send your questions there if you want.

Then, I advise you to test your image locally before sending it to your
server as it is always slower to do so.

The command to start the server is:

WAKom startOn: 8080

If you want to control your remote image, you can install
RemoteFrameBuffer (SqueakMap) on it before an run

WAVNCController initialize

That will allow you to put your image on a server, and on your local
machine you can install a VNC client to control it remotely.

I'm not sure this answer all your questions. Feel free to ask again :-)

Re: About Pier and Squeak

cedreek
Hi Serdar

you can also use ssh -X yourServer or as you said, saving an image with Kom launched... so it should be available when you open squeak on this image...

see you

Cédrick

Re: About Pier and Squeak

keith1y
You have to make sure that when the image is loaded on the headless
server that there is no user interaction expected. For example on start
up Squeak typically offers the user the option to load updates. There is
a "dont ask again option" which will prevent this happening in the
future and allow your server to continue unhindered on future startups.

This caught me out when uploading an image to www.seasidehosting.st and
judging by the number of projects on there that are present but not
working I am not the only one to be caught out.

hope this helps

Keith

> Hi,
>
> I want to install pier to my Linux server. I have downloaded pier and seaside from squeakmap, then i have saved it, then i have uploaded it to my server that image. I have started the headless squeak with that image. But it doesn't worked. I should give some commands (like wakom 8080). But i cannot write command to the headless server. I don't have any gui. So, how can i save the seaside when it works. I have started seaside with "wakom" command then i have saved it. But when i restart the seaside it did not work. In shortly, i have to write some commands to the headless server or i have to save the seaside when it works..
>
> Thanks,
>
> sorry for my english..

Re: About Pier and Squeak

Keith Hodges-2