About Sport licenses

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi Sport contributors

Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because it uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce if Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his answer:

Steph,

We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects was written by different people.

Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.

So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we can get a dual license LGPL/MIT.

And yes I'm nervous about mixing licenses in an image-based system that a infinite minority
of programmers understand or even know.

Re: About Sport licenses

Janko Mivšek
Hi Stef,

I as a porter od Sport to Squeak/Pharo am all for Sport to be MIT
licensed. As I understand past conversations with Bruce the dialect
porter/maintainer approval is then a satisfying condition for Sport on
Squeak/Pharo to be MIT licensed.

Best regards
Janko

Dne 18. 07. 2013 12:19, piše Stéphane Ducasse:

> Hi Sport contributors
>
> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because
> it uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce
> if Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
> answer:
>
>> Steph,
>>
>> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
>> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects
>> was written by different people.
>>
>> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>>
> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we
> can get a dual license LGPL/MIT.
>
> And yes I'm nervous about mixing licenses in an image-based system that
> a infinite minority
> of programmers understand or even know.
>
> Stef

Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: About Sport licenses

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks Janko :)

On Jul 18, 2013, at 12:44 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> I as a porter od Sport to Squeak/Pharo am all for Sport to be MIT
> licensed. As I understand past conversations with Bruce the dialect
> porter/maintainer approval is then a satisfying condition for Sport on
> Squeak/Pharo to be MIT licensed.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> Dne 18. 07. 2013 12:19, piše Stéphane Ducasse:
>> Hi Sport contributors
>>
>> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
>> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because
>> it uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
>> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce
>> if Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
>> answer:
>>
>>> Steph,
>>>
>>> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
>>> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects
>>> was written by different people.
>>>
>>> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>>>
>> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we
>> can get a dual license LGPL/MIT.
>>
>> And yes I'm nervous about mixing licenses in an image-based system that
>> a infinite minority
>> of programmers understand or even know.
>>
>> Stef

> Janko Mivšek
> Aida/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: About Sport licenses

Leandro Caniglia-2
I've made some small contributions to SPort in the past, so please have my authorization to change the license if needed.

leandro caniglia ph.d. | chief technologist | caesar systems | accelerate confidently

[hidden email] | t: +1.281.598.8810 +1.281.617.2972 +54.11.4389.0126 blog.caesarsystems.com | www.caesarsystems.com

This message and any attached documents contain information from Caesar Systems LLC that may be confidential/trade secret and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read, copy, distribute or use this information.  If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or by reply e-mail and then delete this message.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
thanks Janko :)

On Jul 18, 2013, at 12:44 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stef,
>
> I as a porter od Sport to Squeak/Pharo am all for Sport to be MIT
> licensed. As I understand past conversations with Bruce the dialect
> porter/maintainer approval is then a satisfying condition for Sport on
> Squeak/Pharo to be MIT licensed.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> Dne 18. 07. 2013 12:19, piše Stéphane Ducasse:
>> Hi Sport contributors
>>
>> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
>> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because
>> it uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
>> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce
>> if Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
>> answer:
>>
>>> Steph,
>>>
>>> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
>>> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects
>>> was written by different people.
>>>
>>> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>>>
>> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we
>> can get a dual license LGPL/MIT.
>>
>> And yes I'm nervous about mixing licenses in an image-based system that
>> a infinite minority
>> of programmers understand or even know.
>>
>> Stef

> Janko Mivšek
> Aida/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: About Sport licenses

Dale Henrichs-3
I have ported SPORT to GemStone and I am in favor of an MIT license...

Dale

Re: About Sport licenses

Damien Cassou
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> And yes I'm nervous about mixing licenses in an image-based system that a
> infinite minority
> of programmers understand or even know.

I think that, in theory, mixing LGPL (which is much less strict than
GPL) and MIT is authorized. Still, it is simpler if everything is of
the same license, I agree.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: About Sport licenses

Paolo Bonzini-2
Il 18/07/2013 12:19, Stéphane Ducasse ha scritto:

> Hi Sport contributors
>
> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because
> it uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce
> if Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
> answer:
>
>> Steph,
>>
>> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
>> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects
>> was written by different people.
>>
>> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>>
> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we
> can get a dual license LGPL/MIT.

I agree to MIT relicensing of all LGPL Smalltalk code I've ever written
(_not_ GPL, that's another story).

Paolo

> And yes I'm nervous about mixing licenses in an image-based system that
> a infinite minority
> of programmers understand or even know.
>
> Stef

Re: About Sport licenses

Philippe Marschall
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sport contributors
>
> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because it
> uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce if
> Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
> answer:
>
> Steph,
>
> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects was
> written by different people.
>
> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>
> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we can
> get a dual license LGPL/MIT.

Should I ever have contributed I agree to dual- or relicensing.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: About Sport licenses

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks you all.
This is excellent so I think that Sport can be relicensed and this is a good news.

Stef

On Jul 18, 2013, at 6:04 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Sport contributors
>>
>> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
>> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because it
>> uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
>> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce if
>> Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
>> answer:
>>
>> Steph,
>>
>> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
>> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects was
>> written by different people.
>>
>> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>>
>> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we can
>> get a dual license LGPL/MIT.
>
> Should I ever have contributed I agree to dual- or relicensing.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: About Sport licenses

Bruce Badger
Yes indeed.  Looking at the thread I think everyone is happy with MIT so I would suggest going with just that for the Pharo implementation of Sport rather than using a dual license.

Bruce

On 20 July 2013 08:13, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks you all.
This is excellent so I think that Sport can be relicensed and this is a good news.

Stef

On Jul 18, 2013, at 6:04 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Sport contributors
>>
>> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
>> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because it
>> uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
>> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce if
>> Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
>> answer:
>>
>> Steph,
>>
>> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
>> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects was
>> written by different people.
>>
>> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>>
>> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we can
>> get a dual license LGPL/MIT.
>
> Should I ever have contributed I agree to dual- or relicensing.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

http://www.openskills.org/

Re: About Sport licenses

Georg Heeg

Bruce,

You write: “everyone is happy with MIT so I would suggest going with just that for the Pharo implementation of Sport”. This is the ESUG mailing list where Smalltalk Users of all dialects are participating. Thus I ask why is there the sub-phrase “just that for the Pharo implementation”? What is with all the other implementations? E.g. VisualWorks where the copyright says: “©Bruce Badger 2004, 2005, 2006. Licensed under the LGPL.”

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812

Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen

Tel. +49-3496-214328, Fax +49-3496-214712

Yes indeed.  Looking at the thread I think everyone is happy with MIT so I would suggest going with just that for the Pharo implementation of Sport rather than using a dual license.

Bruce

On 20 July 2013 08:13, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks you all.
This is excellent so I think that Sport can be relicensed and this is a good news.

Stef

On Jul 18, 2013, at 6:04 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Sport contributors
>>
>> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
>> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because it
>> uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
>> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce if
>> Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
>> answer:
>>
>> Steph,
>>
>> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
>> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects was
>> written by different people.
>>
>> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>>
>> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we can
>> get a dual license LGPL/MIT.
>
> Should I ever have contributed I agree to dual- or relicensing.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

http://www.openskills.org/

Re: About Sport licenses

Bruce Badger
> why is there the sub-phrase “just that for the Pharo implementation”?

To be clear

On 20 July 2013 11:43, Georg Heeg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Bruce,

You write: “everyone is happy with MIT so I would suggest going with just that for the Pharo implementation of Sport”. This is the ESUG mailing list where Smalltalk Users of all dialects are participating. Thus I ask why is there the sub-phrase “just that for the Pharo implementation”? What is with all the other implementations? E.g. VisualWorks where the copyright says: “©Bruce Badger 2004, 2005, 2006. Licensed under the LGPL.”

Georg

Georg Heeg eK, Dortmund und Köthen, HR Dortmund A 12812

Wallstraße 22, 06366 Köthen

Tel. <a href="tel:%2B49-3496-214328" value="+493496214328" target="_blank">+49-3496-214328, Fax <a href="tel:%2B49-3496-214712" value="+493496214712" target="_blank">+49-3496-214712

Yes indeed.  Looking at the thread I think everyone is happy with MIT so I would suggest going with just that for the Pharo implementation of Sport rather than using a dual license.

Bruce

On 20 July 2013 08:13, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks you all.
This is excellent so I think that Sport can be relicensed and this is a good news.

Stef

On Jul 18, 2013, at 6:04 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Sport contributors
>>
>> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
>> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because it
>> uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
>> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce if
>> Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
>> answer:
>>
>> Steph,
>>
>> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
>> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects was
>> written by different people.
>>
>> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>>
>> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we can
>> get a dual license LGPL/MIT.
>
> Should I ever have contributed I agree to dual- or relicensing.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

http://www.openskills.org/

http://www.openskills.org/

Re: About Sport licenses

Dale Henrichs-3
Bruce,

How about MIT for the GemStone implementation?

Dale

Yes indeed.  Looking at the thread I think everyone is happy with MIT so I would suggest going with just that for the Pharo implementation of Sport rather than using a dual license.

Bruce

On 20 July 2013 08:13, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks you all.
This is excellent so I think that Sport can be relicensed and this is a good news.

Stef

On Jul 18, 2013, at 6:04 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Sport contributors
>>
>> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
>> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because it
>> uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
>> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce if
>> Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
>> answer:
>>
>> Steph,
>>
>> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
>> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects was
>> written by different people.
>>
>> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>>
>> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we can
>> get a dual license LGPL/MIT.
>
> Should I ever have contributed I agree to dual- or relicensing.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

http://www.openskills.org/

Re: About Sport licenses

Bruce Badger
Dale,

I think that would be fine too.

One of the aims of Sport is to be the ubiquitous surrogate for missing standardisation between dialects, and MIT does appear to be a better licensee if the objective is ubiquity.

I think I'm the only author of the GemStone port, but perhaps you know of others and perhaps you've added some bits too? :-)

So if you are sure that you know all contributors to GemStone Sport then we can say that it will join the Pharo port under the MIT license.

The agreed forum for Sport was c.l.s so we should announce any proposed license changes there too.

Bruce

On 20 July 2013 12:39, Dale K. Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Bruce,

How about MIT for the GemStone implementation?

Dale

Yes indeed.  Looking at the thread I think everyone is happy with MIT so I would suggest going with just that for the Pharo implementation of Sport rather than using a dual license.

Bruce

On 20 July 2013 08:13, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks you all.
This is excellent so I think that Sport can be relicensed and this is a good news.

Stef

On Jul 18, 2013, at 6:04 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Sport contributors
>>
>> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
>> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because it
>> uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
>> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce if
>> Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
>> answer:
>>
>> Steph,
>>
>> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
>> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects was
>> written by different people.
>>
>> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>>
>> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we can
>> get a dual license LGPL/MIT.
>
> Should I ever have contributed I agree to dual- or relicensing.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

http://www.openskills.org/

http://www.openskills.org/

Re: About Sport licenses

Dale Henrichs-3
Bruce,

I will scan the commit history for GemStone Sport and contact the contributors and ask them to respond.

Thanks,

Dale

Yes indeed.  Looking at the thread I think everyone is happy with MIT so I would suggest going with just that for the Pharo implementation of Sport rather than using a dual license.

Bruce

On 20 July 2013 08:13, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks you all.
This is excellent so I think that Sport can be relicensed and this is a good news.

Stef

On Jul 18, 2013, at 6:04 PM, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Sport contributors
>>
>> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
>> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because it
>> uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
>> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce if
>> Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
>> answer:
>>
>> Steph,
>>
>> We've had this discussion before, and as before I'm fine with this in
>> principle but it's not me alone to say.  Sport for different dialects was
>> written by different people.
>>
>> Sent from my phone.  Please forgive brevity.
>>
>> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we can
>> get a dual license LGPL/MIT.
>
> Should I ever have contributed I agree to dual- or relicensing.
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

http://www.openskills.org/

http://www.openskills.org/

Re: About Sport licenses

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

I hope we all agree now for MIT so I just changed Sport license on
SqueakSource to MIT, so that now on both SqueakSource and SmalltalkHub
Sport is MIT licensed:

  http://www.squeaksource.com/SPort.html
  http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Sport/Sport

Note than there is only one Sport for both Squeak and Pharo and probably
Cuis as well.

Best regards
Janko

Dne 18. 07. 2013 16:05, piše Stéphane Ducasse:

> thanks Janko :)
>

> On Jul 18, 2013, at 12:44 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Stef,
>>
>> I as a porter od Sport to Squeak/Pharo am all for Sport to be MIT
>> licensed. As I understand past conversations with Bruce the dialect
>> porter/maintainer approval is then a satisfying condition for Sport on
>> Squeak/Pharo to be MIT licensed.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Janko
>>
>> Dne 18. 07. 2013 12:19, piše Stéphane Ducasse:
>>> Hi Sport contributors
>>>
>>> Today while browsing the seaside repository I saw  that there is a
>>> Seaside30LGPL and I was puzzled. I looked and I saw that this is because
>>> it uses Sport and Sport is licensed under
>>> LGPL (probably the only packages in mainstream Smalltalk). I asked Bruce
>>> if Sport could be relicensed or have a dual license MIT/LGPL here is his
>>> answer:

>>> So if you participated to Sport can you reply to this mail so that we
>>> can get a dual license LGPL/MIT.
>>>
>>> And yes I'm nervous about mixing licenses in an image-based system that
>>> a infinite minority
>>> of programmers understand or even know.
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> Janko Mivšek
>> Aida/Web
>> Smalltalk Web Application Server
>> http://www.aidaweb.si

Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: About Sport licenses

Frank Shearar-3
On 23 July 2013 13:14, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I hope we all agree now for MIT so I just changed Sport license on
> SqueakSource to MIT, so that now on both SqueakSource and SmalltalkHub
> Sport is MIT licensed:
>
>   http://www.squeaksource.com/SPort.html
>   http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Sport/Sport

If I understand correctly, this might be a bit premature. I had to
fill in a paper form declaring my agreement to the relicencing of
Squeak, and I'm pretty sure Pharo had to do the same (because I had to
fill in a similar form for Pharo).

As I understand it, the Sport port folks need to compile a list of
every contributor and get each contributor to formally agree to the
relicencing.

frank