About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

12

About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

Hannes Hirzel
On 1/16/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hannes,
>
> H. Hirzel wrote:
>> And I see that there is as well FFI
>>
>> https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck
>>
>> Where did the code come from?
>> What is the status?

..

> It came from Squeak's FFI package. The status is usable. I used it only
> on Windows, but there should not be (big) problems to use it on other
> platforms.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Thank you, Juan,  for the clarification. Good to know that we have the
FFI (Foreign Function Interface) package in Cuis.

Squeak has the following load script in the 'extending the system' workspace

(Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
        install: 'FFI-Pools';
        install: 'FFI-Kernel';
        install: 'FFI-Tests';
        install: 'FFI-Win32';
        install: 'FFI-MacOS';
        install: 'FFI-Unix'.

So I assume you took the code from http://source.squeak.org/FFI?

Your https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck
was changed 9 months ago.

In that case probably everything released in 2011 was included but not
the updates by Torsten Bergmann, right?

Just curious, do you remember, was it more or less a 1:1 file-in as it
does not touch GUI classes or did you have to do changes?

--Hannes

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

(below)

H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 1/16/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Hannes,
>>
>> H. Hirzel wrote:
>>
>>> And I see that there is as well FFI
>>>
>>> https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck
>>>
>>> Where did the code come from?
>>> What is the status?
>>>

> ..
>
>> It came from Squeak's FFI package. The status is usable. I used it only
>> on Windows, but there should not be (big) problems to use it on other
>> platforms.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>

> Thank you, Juan,  for the clarification. Good to know that we have the
> FFI (Foreign Function Interface) package in Cuis.
>
> Squeak has the following load script in the 'extending the system' workspace
>
> (Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
> install: 'FFI-Pools';
> install: 'FFI-Kernel';
> install: 'FFI-Tests';
> install: 'FFI-Win32';
> install: 'FFI-MacOS';
> install: 'FFI-Unix'.
>
> So I assume you took the code from http://source.squeak.org/FFI?
>
> Your https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck
> was changed 9 months ago.
>
> In that case probably everything released in 2011 was included but not
> the updates by Torsten Bergmann, right?
>
> Just curious, do you remember, was it more or less a 1:1 file-in as it
> does not touch GUI classes or did you have to do changes?
>
> --Hannes

Querying the code is more reliable than querying my memory. Let me guide
you.

- In an updated Cuis Image, open a File List. Navigate to FFI.pck.
Select it. Click on (code). This opens a browser on the package code
without actually loading it.
- Open a web browser on http://source.squeak.org/FFI . Download the last
version of each Monticello package.
- In Cuis, open a File List, navigate to the .mcz files. Select each
one, and click on (code). Yes, Cuis can show you the contents of
Monticello packages.

Now it is rather easy to see that FFI.pck includes the stuff in
FFI-Kernel and FFI-Pools. No platform specific stuff is included.

So, you think that the Cuis package doesn't include some newer cool
updates. (I haven't been following  Torsten's work.) Ok. Let's see. Now
do install the FFI.pck. Select FFI-Kernel.mcz. This time select
contents. A browser that shows a list of methods opens. Now select any
method. Mhh. Well, the package uses the Cr line separators, not Lf as in
Cuis. No big deal. Click on (linePrettyDifs). Now line separators and
formatting are not an issue when comparing code. Click (deselectAll) Now
do 'select methods equivalent to current' (via right click menu on the
methods list) and 'remove selected methods'.

Now you can compare the differences, see what changes were needed for
Cuis, see what has been changed recently in the Squeak package, etc.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Juan

tank you for the explanations how to find out about the porting
status. This is fine. However I think it is easier for future porting
efforts to archive a copy of the original in the same repository.

I now have created an FFI repository on github

    https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI

As initial commit it contains a copy of what you have done:

   https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck

And in the branch
    https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/tree/UpdateJanuary2013

I am working on a update.

I add the FFI-Tests category. I only did two minor fixes and it is
left with 3 tests failing.

Details see
    https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/blob/UpdateJanuary2013/notes/PortingNotes.md

Actually only one thing prevents them from all passing.

The <primitive: 'primitiveFFIIntegerAtPut' module:'SqueakFFIPrims'> fails.

Here I do not know how to continue.

You write in another thread that you used it on MSWindows. What did
you use it for? Could you provide an example?

Kind regards

Hannes Hirzel

On 1/23/13, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Juan
>
> tank you for the explanations how to find out about the porting
> status. This is fine. However I think it is easier for future porting
> efforts to archive a copy of the original in the same repository.
>
> I now have created an FFI repository on github
>
>     https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI
>

> As initial commit it contains a copy of what you have done:
>
>    https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck
>

> And in the branch
>     https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/tree/UpdateJanuary2013
>
> I am working on a update.
>
> I add the FFI-Tests category. I only did two minor fixes and it is
> left with 3 tests failing.
>
> Details see
>
> https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/blob/UpdateJanuary2013/notes/PortingNotes.md
>
> Actually only one thing prevents them from all passing.
>
> The <primitive: 'primitiveFFIIntegerAtPut' module:'SqueakFFIPrims'> fails.
>
> Here I do not know how to continue.
>
> You write in another thread that you used it on MSWindows. What did
> you use it for? Could you provide an example?

Examples which run fine

https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/blob/UpdateJanuary2013/Win32Utils.st

       Win32Utils getEnvironmentVariables

https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/blob/UpdateJanuary2013/Win32Shell.st

       Win32Shell new shellExplore: 'c:\'

> Kind regards
>
> Hannes Hirzel
>
> On 1/17/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Hannes,
>>
>> (below)
>>
>> H. Hirzel wrote:

>>> ..

>>> Thank you, Juan,  for the clarification. Good to know that we have the
>>> FFI (Foreign Function Interface) package in Cuis.
>>>
>>> Squeak has the following load script in the 'extending the system'
>>> workspace
>>>
>>> (Installer repository: 'http://source.squeak.org/FFI')
>>> install: 'FFI-Pools';
>>> install: 'FFI-Kernel';
>>> install: 'FFI-Tests';
>>> install: 'FFI-Win32';
>>> install: 'FFI-MacOS';
>>> install: 'FFI-Unix'.
>>>
>>> So I assume you took the code from http://source.squeak.org/FFI?
>>>
>>> Your
>>> https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck
>>> was changed 9 months ago.
>>>
>>> In that case probably everything released in 2011 was included but not
>>> the updates by Torsten Bergmann, right?
>>>
>>> Just curious, do you remember, was it more or less a 1:1 file-in as it
>>> does not touch GUI classes or did you have to do changes?
>>>
>>> --Hannes
>>>

>> Querying the code is more reliable than querying my memory. Let me guide
>> you.
>>
>> - In an updated Cuis Image, open a File List. Navigate to FFI.pck.
>> Select it. Click on (code). This opens a browser on the package code
>> without actually loading it.
>> - Open a web browser on http://source.squeak.org/FFI . Download the last
>> version of each Monticello package.
>> - In Cuis, open a File List, navigate to the .mcz files. Select each
>> one, and click on (code). Yes, Cuis can show you the contents of
>> Monticello packages.
>>
>> Now it is rather easy to see that FFI.pck includes the stuff in
>> FFI-Kernel and FFI-Pools. No platform specific stuff is included.
>>
>> So, you think that the Cuis package doesn't include some newer cool
>> updates. (I haven't been following  Torsten's work.) Ok. Let's see. Now
>> do install the FFI.pck. Select FFI-Kernel.mcz. This time select
>> contents. A browser that shows a list of methods opens. Now select any
>> method. Mhh. Well, the package uses the Cr line separators, not Lf as in
>> Cuis. No big deal. Click on (linePrettyDifs). Now line separators and
>> formatting are not an issue when comparing code. Click (deselectAll) Now
>> do 'select methods equivalent to current' (via right click menu on the
>> methods list) and 'remove selected methods'.
>>
>> Now you can compare the differences, see what changes were needed for
>> Cuis, see what has been changed recently in the Squeak package, etc.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

Hannes Hirzel
I put the tests into FFI-Tests.pck.st and updated the load script
https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI

Otherwise it would not load properly.

--hjh

On 1/24/13, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> So, you think that the Cuis package doesn't include some newer cool
>>> updates. (I haven't been following  Torsten's work.) Ok. Let's see. Now
>>> do install the FFI.pck. Select FFI-Kernel.mcz. This time select
>>> contents. A browser that shows a list of methods opens. Now select any
>>> method. Mhh. Well, the package uses the Cr line separators, not Lf as in
>>> Cuis. No big deal. Click on (linePrettyDifs). Now line separators and
>>> formatting are not an issue when comparing code. Click (deselectAll) Now
>>> do 'select methods equivalent to current' (via right click menu on the
>>> methods list) and 'remove selected methods'.
>>>
>>> Now you can compare the differences, see what changes were needed for
>>> Cuis, see what has been changed recently in the Squeak package, etc.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Vuletich

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

P.S. This applies to the UpdateJanuary2013 branch

https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/tree/UpdateJanuary2013

I have not merged it yet into the master branch as not all tests are green.

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Hello Juan
>
> tank you for the explanations how to find out about the porting
> status. This is fine. However I think it is easier for future porting
> efforts to archive a copy of the original in the same repository.

Yes, good idea.

> I now have created an FFI repository on github
>
>     https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI
>

> As initial commit it contains a copy of what you have done:
>
>    https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck
>

> And in the branch
>     https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/tree/UpdateJanuary2013
>
> I am working on a update.

You'd compare the code with my version. There are a few tweaks that are
needed for Cuis. Oh, and there are many CR characters in there...

> I add the FFI-Tests category. I only did two minor fixes and it is
> left with 3 tests failing.
>
> Details see
>     https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/blob/UpdateJanuary2013/notes/PortingNotes.md
>
> Actually only one thing prevents them from all passing.
>
> The <primitive: 'primitiveFFIIntegerAtPut' module:'SqueakFFIPrims'> fails.
>
> Here I do not know how to continue.

I did
    FFITestPoint2 defineFields.
    FFITestPoint4 defineFields.
And all test pass. :) Maybe they'd be called from a class side
#initialize method?

> You write in another thread that you used it on MSWindows. What did
> you use it for? Could you provide an example?

StyledTextEditor Extended Clipboard. Allows copying / pasting not only
text, but Forms (bmp/png/tiff), RTF, all this between Cuis and other
apps, and even complete morphs or other complex objects if between 2
Cuis images. There is an ExtendedClipboardPlugin for Mac, with full
functionality. For Windows, there is a limited functionality (can paste,
but can not copy into Windows clipboard) done using FFI.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> Kind regards
>
> Hannes Hirzel

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

Juan Vuletich-4
Nice!

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 1/25/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did
>     FFITestPoint2 defineFields.
>     FFITestPoint4 defineFields.
> And all test pass. :) Maybe they'd be called from a class side
> #initialize method?

I still have errors in the FFITests.

Which version did you use for your tests?

http://source.squeak.org/FFI/

H. Hirzel wrote:

> Hello Juan
>
> On 1/25/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I did
>>     FFITestPoint2 defineFields.
>>     FFITestPoint4 defineFields.
>> And all test pass. :) Maybe they'd be called from a class side
>> #initialize method?
>>

> I still have errors in the FFITests.
>
> Which version did you use for your tests?
>
> http://source.squeak.org/FFI/
>
> Regards
> Hannes

This is what I did (I'm doing it again right now to detail the steps):
- In Win XP, start Cuis4.1-1576 with Eliot's Cog VM 4.0.0 (release) from
Jan 14 2013.
- Installed your 'Cuis-FFI-UpdateJanuary2013' as of 1/24. First
FFI.pck.st, then FFI-Tests.pck.st
- Open SUnitTestRunner. Run FFIPluginTests. Failures:
#testBlitToAndFromExternalForm. Errors: { #testPoint2. #testPoint4.
#TestPointers}
- Evaluate: 'FFITestPoint2 defineFields. FFITestPoint4 defineFields'
(doIt in a Workspace)
- Run FFIPluginTests again. Failures: #testBlitToAndFromExternalForm.
Errors: 0
- Edit #testBlitToAndFromExternalForm to see what's the problem there. I
see it has CR characters. I do alt-a, alt-shift-u, alt-s. to fix them.
- Now all test pass.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Juan for the detailed instructions.

Indeed now all 23 tests are green (tested in Windows 7).

I updated the install script and merged everything into the master branch

In
https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/blob/master/README.md

the installation script reads

"Load Foreign Function Interface (FFI)"

    | slash |

    slash _ FileDirectory slash.
    {
         '..', slash, 'Cuis-FFI', slash, 'FFI.pck.st' .
         '..', slash, 'Cuis-FFI', slash, 'FFI-Tests.pck.st' .
    }

    do:

    [ :fileName | CodePackageFile installPackageStream:

                 (FileStream concreteStream readOnlyFileNamed: fileName)
    ].

   "Initialisation for tests"
   (Smalltalk at: #FFITestPoint2) perform: #defineFields.
   (Smalltalk at: #FFITestPoint4) perform: #defineFields.

Kind regards

Hannes

On 1/28/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hannes,
>
> H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Hello Juan
>>
>> On 1/25/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I did
>>>     FFITestPoint2 defineFields.
>>>     FFITestPoint4 defineFields.
>>> And all test pass. :) Maybe they'd be called from a class side
>>> #initialize method?
>>>

>> I still have errors in the FFITests.
>>
>> Which version did you use for your tests?
>>
>> http://source.squeak.org/FFI/
>>
>> Regards
>> Hannes
>>

> This is what I did (I'm doing it again right now to detail the steps):
> - In Win XP, start Cuis4.1-1576 with Eliot's Cog VM 4.0.0 (release) from
> Jan 14 2013.
> - Installed your 'Cuis-FFI-UpdateJanuary2013' as of 1/24. First
> FFI.pck.st, then FFI-Tests.pck.st
> - Open SUnitTestRunner. Run FFIPluginTests. Failures:
> #testBlitToAndFromExternalForm. Errors: { #testPoint2. #testPoint4.
> #TestPointers}
> - Evaluate: 'FFITestPoint2 defineFields. FFITestPoint4 defineFields'
> (doIt in a Workspace)
> - Run FFIPluginTests again. Failures: #testBlitToAndFromExternalForm.
> Errors: 0
> - Edit #testBlitToAndFromExternalForm to see what's the problem there. I
> see it has CR characters. I do alt-a, alt-shift-u, alt-s. to fix them.
> - Now all test pass.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

garduino
Excellent, thanks you guys!

2013/1/28 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:

> Thank you Juan for the detailed instructions.
>
> Indeed now all 23 tests are green (tested in Windows 7).
>
> I updated the install script and merged everything into the master branch
>
> In
> https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/blob/master/README.md
>
> the installation script reads
>
> "Load Foreign Function Interface (FFI)"
>
>     | slash |
>
>     slash _ FileDirectory slash.
>     {
>          '..', slash, 'Cuis-FFI', slash, 'FFI.pck.st' .
>          '..', slash, 'Cuis-FFI', slash, 'FFI-Tests.pck.st' .
>     }
>
>     do:
>
>     [ :fileName | CodePackageFile installPackageStream:
>
>                  (FileStream concreteStream readOnlyFileNamed: fileName)
>     ].
>
>    "Initialisation for tests"
>    (Smalltalk at: #FFITestPoint2) perform: #defineFields.
>    (Smalltalk at: #FFITestPoint4) perform: #defineFields.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Hannes
>
> On 1/28/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Hannes,
>>
>> H. Hirzel wrote:

>>> I still have errors in the FFITests.
>>>
>>> Which version did you use for your tests?
>>>
>>> http://source.squeak.org/FFI/
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Hannes
>>>

>> This is what I did (I'm doing it again right now to detail the steps):
>> - In Win XP, start Cuis4.1-1576 with Eliot's Cog VM 4.0.0 (release) from
>> Jan 14 2013.
>> - Installed your 'Cuis-FFI-UpdateJanuary2013' as of 1/24. First
>> FFI.pck.st, then FFI-Tests.pck.st
>> - Open SUnitTestRunner. Run FFIPluginTests. Failures:
>> #testBlitToAndFromExternalForm. Errors: { #testPoint2. #testPoint4.
>> #TestPointers}
>> - Evaluate: 'FFITestPoint2 defineFields. FFITestPoint4 defineFields'
>> (doIt in a Workspace)
>> - Run FFIPluginTests again. Failures: #testBlitToAndFromExternalForm.
>> Errors: 0
>> - Edit #testBlitToAndFromExternalForm to see what's the problem there. I
>> see it has CR characters. I do alt-a, alt-shift-u, alt-s. to fix them.
>> - Now all test pass.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich

Sincerely,
Germán Arduino
about.me/garduino

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

Hannes Hirzel
Juan

may I ask you to remove the FFI entry in
    https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/blob/master/ListOfCuisPackages.md

from the category 'Not yet tested'

and add it to

'Loads fine'

Regards

--Hannes

bpi

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

bpi
Hi Juan,

now that we have Feature, should we use Cuis-FFI for STE instead of the embedded one? What do you think?

Cheers,
Bernhard

Am 29.01.2013 um 14:32 schrieb H. Hirzel:

> Juan
>
> may I ask you to remove the FFI entry in
>    https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/blob/master/ListOfCuisPackages.md
>
> from the category 'Not yet tested'
>
> and add it to
>
> 'Loads fine'
>
> Regards
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 1/28/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Excellent, thanks you guys!
>>
>> 2013/1/28 H. Hirzel <[hidden email]>:
>>> Thank you Juan for the detailed instructions.
>>>
>>> Indeed now all 23 tests are green (tested in Windows 7).
>>>
>>> I updated the install script and merged everything into the master branch
>>>
>>> In
>>> https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/blob/master/README.md
>>>
>>> the installation script reads
>>>
>>> "Load Foreign Function Interface (FFI)"
>>>
>>>    | slash |
>>>
>>>    slash _ FileDirectory slash.
>>>    {
>>>         '..', slash, 'Cuis-FFI', slash, 'FFI.pck.st' .
>>>         '..', slash, 'Cuis-FFI', slash, 'FFI-Tests.pck.st' .
>>>    }
>>>
>>>    do:
>>>
>>>    [ :fileName | CodePackageFile installPackageStream:
>>>
>>>                 (FileStream concreteStream readOnlyFileNamed: fileName)
>>>    ].
>>>
>>>   "Initialisation for tests"
>>>   (Smalltalk at: #FFITestPoint2) perform: #defineFields.
>>>   (Smalltalk at: #FFITestPoint4) perform: #defineFields.
>>>

>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>> Hannes

>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Germán Arduino
>> about.me/garduino

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Bernhard, Juan and Ken

I have changed the name to
    https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-Smalltalk-FFI

What do I need to change to make it 'Feature' aware?

I am ready to update it to 4.2 but I can give anybody access who wants
to work on it.

Regards
Hannes

On 8/10/13, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Juan,
>
> now that we have Feature, should we use Cuis-FFI for STE instead of the
> embedded one? What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Bernhard
>
> Am 29.01.2013 um 14:32 schrieb H. Hirzel:
>> Juan
>>
>> may I ask you to remove the FFI entry in
>>    https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/blob/master/ListOfCuisPackages.md
>>
>> from the category 'Not yet tested'
>>
>> and add it to
>>
>> 'Loads fine'
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 1/28/13, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Excellent, thanks you guys!

>>> --
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Germán Arduino
>>> about.me/garduino

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

KenDickey
On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:49:52 +0000
"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Bernhard, Juan and Ken
>
> I have changed the name to
>     https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-Smalltalk-FFI
>
> What do I need to change to make it 'Feature' aware?

The easy way is to add the PROVIDES line to FFI.pck.st
'Description Please enter a description for this package.'!
!provides: 'FFI' 1 0!
!classDefinition: #ExternalAddress category: #'FFI-Kernel'!

But this gives us two packages with Feature #'FFI'.  I have not looked into the details of which one package would get selected to load in the case of same name. Same Feature name with different packages is not a good idea.

BTW, I see that STE/FFI has category FFI-Pool and HHZL/FFI has category FFI-Kernel.

The ideal would be to see what code differences exist and make sure that there is only 1 FFI package and all tests pass, then put it in Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/Packages (IMHO).

I should package the NaCl (salt) library into Cuis-Smalltalk-NaCl soon as a test case.

--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com

-KenD
bpi

Am 11.08.2013 um 18:20 schrieb Ken Dickey:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:49:52 +0000
> "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What do I need to change to make it 'Feature' aware?
> The easy way is to add the PROVIDES line to FFI.pck.st
> 'Description Please enter a description for this package.'!
> !provides: 'FFI' 1 0!
> !classDefinition: #ExternalAddress category: #'FFI-Kernel'!
The following also seems to work:
1. Install the package using a file list.
2. Save the package using Installed Packages.

> But this gives us two packages with Feature #'FFI'.  I have not looked into the details of which one package would get selected to load in the case of same name. Same Feature name with different packages is not a good idea.
Interesting, I thought that the idea of having Feature separate from CodePackage was to allow for a feature to be implemented differently by different packages.

> BTW, I see that STE/FFI has category FFI-Pool and HHZL/FFI has category FFI-Kernel.
>
> The ideal would be to see what code differences exist and make sure that there is only 1 FFI package and all tests pass, then put it in Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/Packages (IMHO).
I totally agree.

Cheers,
Bernhard

On 8/11/13, Bernhard Pieber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 11.08.2013 um 18:20 schrieb Ken Dickey:
>> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 15:49:52 +0000
>> "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> What do I need to change to make it 'Feature' aware?
>> The easy way is to add the PROVIDES line to FFI.pck.st
>> 'Description Please enter a description for this package.'!
>> !provides: 'FFI' 1 0!
>> !classDefinition: #ExternalAddress category: #'FFI-Kernel'!
> The following also seems to work:
> 1. Install the package using a file list.
> 2. Save the package using Installed Packages.
>
>> But this gives us two packages with Feature #'FFI'.  I have not looked
>> into the details of which one package would get selected to load in the
>> case of same name. Same Feature name with different packages is not a good
>> idea.
> Interesting, I thought that the idea of having Feature separate from
> CodePackage was to allow for a feature to be implemented differently by
> different packages.
>
>> BTW, I see that STE/FFI has category FFI-Pool and HHZL/FFI has category
>> FFI-Kernel.
>>
>> The ideal would be to see what code differences exist and make sure that
>> there is only 1 FFI package and all tests pass, then put it in
>> Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/Packages (IMHO).
> I totally agree.
+1

The reason why I did a Cuis-FFI package in January this year was

a) I wanted to know from which actual version of
http://source.squeak.org/FFI the Cuis version is taken from.
    see https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-Smalltalk-FFI/blob/master/README.md

b) I wanted tests to be available and all 23 tests to pass. This was
possible with the help of Juan. I did this only for MSWindows though.

I am willing to close down/delete the package if these conditions are met in
Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev / packages

--Hannes

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

On 8/11/2013 4:06 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> The reason why I did a Cuis-FFI package in January this year was
>
> a) I wanted to know from which actual version of
> http://source.squeak.org/FFI the Cuis version is taken from.
>      see https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-Smalltalk-FFI/blob/master/README.md
>
> b) I wanted tests to be available and all 23 tests to pass. This was
> possible with the help of Juan. I did this only for MSWindows though.
>
> I am willing to close down/delete the package if these conditions are met in
> Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev / packages
>
> --Hannes

I added FFI and FFITests to
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev . As Hannes'
version was based on a more recent Squeak FFI package, I took it. I
fixed a few minor details. I believe this could replace both the FFI at
Hannes place, and the one at StyledTextEditor.

As Ken already pointed out, a few tests are failing or giving errors. It
would be good to investigate this. Especially if the problems also
happen in Squeak, and if they affect all or just some VMs. If anyone
wants to work on this, it would be great.

Please complain if appropriate, or send bug reports, fixes, etc.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

bpi

Re: About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

bpi
Hi Juan,

Thanks for moving the package. Installing STE still works very well.

I have a strange effect when loading FFI:

To reproduce:
1. Open Installed Packages.
2. Execute: Feature require: 'FFI'. Note that it still asks for author initials. Why is that? The ByteArray methods are not there any more.
3. Note that in Installed Packages it shows FFI 1.1 as the package name to load and the package shows dirty. Only when loading is finished it shows FFI 1.2.

I wonder why that is.

Cheers,
Bernhard