About TDD and Pharo

123

Re: About TDD and Pharo

Lukas Renggli
Name: OB-SUnitIntegration-lr.30
Author: lr
Time: 4 June 2010, 1:24:05 pm
UUID: cc0a4ad4-3efc-4dbc-8e44-0dc27e9d5f57
Ancestors: OB-SUnitIntegration-lr.29

- say 'run test' (singular) if there is a single test selected

2010/6/4 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

>> > That's what I don't like, ctrl + t runs all the tests of the class, not
>> > only
>> > the method were you are.
>>
>> No, this is not the case.
>
> Ups...spoke faster than speaking. It's true, Pharo 1.1 with the latests OB
> it works as expected.
> Can we just change the label "run tests" to "run test"  ?
>
> Thanks lukas
>
> mariano
>

>> > This was discussed with Adrian Kuhn and he integrated this change in his
>> > package. I don't know where is it neither if it was integrated or not.
>>
>> Yes, I integrated that a year ago or so :-)
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: About TDD and Pharo

Lukas Renggli
> I have some questions... if you are writting a test in the browser and want
> to run it (just test), if you press ctr+t, does it run that test or all the
> tests? and also, if it does not save the method, how does it run the test
> you just wrote ?

It runs just the selected test method. If you have not accepted the
change it runs the old compiled code (as it would for a do-it).

> I did the ctrl+t do the save before running because I found myself saving
> then running, saving then running, etc, all the time... and if you want to
> run the test you have to save it before... why do you think you would not
> like the two things combined? do you see something that could bother or be
> wrong about it?

Consistency with the rest of the browser and separation of concerns.
But, I haven't tried your approach so I cannot really tell what is
better.

Jorge demoed your debugger changes (create class, create method). I
would like to see them in PharoCore. Also I would like to get rid of
the pre-debugger all-together. Do you think that you could provide
these changes in the PharoInbox?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: About TDD and Pharo

he implemented Mockery for dolphin I guess and he is in pharo mailing-list probably flooded by mails :)

On Jun 3, 2010, at 9:06 AM, Denis Kudriashov wrote:

> Hello, No I dont. Who is it?
>
> 2010/6/3 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> do you happen to know tim mckinnon?
>
> Stef
> On Jun 3, 2010, at 12:13 AM, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
>
> > I use Mockery - my implementation SSpec idies. It is realy more powerfull, transparency and flexibility.
> >
> > With Mockery you dont need any special base classes for TestCases or mocks factory variables in code. You just use mocks where you want by Block creation scenarios:
> >
> > [:mock |
> >   [sut doWith: mock] should lenient satisfy: [mock someMessage willReturn: #result]
> > ] runScenario.
> >
> > State specs like "5 should be an instance of: Integer" can be easely added by pragmas.
> >
> > And Its work in Pharo 1.0.
> >
> > Of course, It's needs more good stuff. But now I dont have enough time.
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/Mocketry.html
> >
> > 2010/6/3 Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>
> >

> > Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> > >
> > > Imagine that we would like to sell pharo (+ seaside) as THE agile platform
> > > for doing TDD.
> > > What would be the changes that we could do support it.
> > >

> > Coming from Ruby, it seemed like BDD was taking over the world, and was the
> > next step in TDD evolution, but I found few mentions of it in the Squeak
> > world.  For my own projects, I use SSpec (which I have been fixing as I go
> > along).  I only use "tests" with SUnit assertions for community projects, as
> > not to confuse or add additional dependencies.
> >
> > I think that core BDD support would be necessary to woo developers here,
> > especially from Ruby, where all the passion and conversation is around BDD.
> >
> > Sean

Re: About TDD and Pharo

Just pay attention that I already integrated some changes of Hernan (like the warning for the compiler).

Stef

On Jun 3, 2010, at 9:29 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> What Hernán did is here:   http://www.squeaksource.com/TDDFacilities.html
>
> That was for Pharo 1.0.
>
> For those that want to help in this subject I think the first step could be to load such package in a PharoCore1.1 and fix it in case it doesn't work.
> Then, it can be integrated as part of PharoCore. Although it may be cool to have a preference to enable or disable all this changes (more TDD oriented), as we are not doing TDD all the time and sometimes we want the normal behavior.
>
> Once we have that, we can start improving. For example, I would love also what Guille said: key bindings for the debugger. I would LOVE to have a Pharo less mouse oriented (I don't care who invented the mouse, I rather the keyboard).
>
> So..open a bug ticket and start to play.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> 2010/6/3 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>
> Hello, No I dont. Who is it?
>
> 2010/6/3 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>
> do you happen to know tim mckinnon?
>
> Stef
> On Jun 3, 2010, at 12:13 AM, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
>
> > I use Mockery - my implementation SSpec idies. It is realy more powerfull, transparency and flexibility.
> >
> > With Mockery you dont need any special base classes for TestCases or mocks factory variables in code. You just use mocks where you want by Block creation scenarios:
> >
> > [:mock |
> >   [sut doWith: mock] should lenient satisfy: [mock someMessage willReturn: #result]
> > ] runScenario.
> >
> > State specs like "5 should be an instance of: Integer" can be easely added by pragmas.
> >
> > And Its work in Pharo 1.0.
> >
> > Of course, It's needs more good stuff. But now I dont have enough time.
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/Mocketry.html
> >
> > 2010/6/3 Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>
> >

> > Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> > >
> > > Imagine that we would like to sell pharo (+ seaside) as THE agile platform
> > > for doing TDD.
> > > What would be the changes that we could do support it.
> > >

> > Coming from Ruby, it seemed like BDD was taking over the world, and was the
> > next step in TDD evolution, but I found few mentions of it in the Squeak
> > world.  For my own projects, I use SSpec (which I have been fixing as I go
> > along).  I only use "tests" with SUnit assertions for community projects, as
> > not to confuse or add additional dependencies.
> >
> > I think that core BDD support would be necessary to woo developers here,
> > especially from Ruby, where all the passion and conversation is around BDD.
> >
> > Sean

Re: About TDD and Pharo

I know that keith integrated SSpec and SUnit so probably there are enhancements there.

Stef

On Jun 3, 2010, at 2:16 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> but is it not just using SSpec?
>>
> SSpec is not bad, but needs some work.
>

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Did SSpec still loads?
>>
> It loads, but most of the tests fail - even though the project itself mostly
> works.
>

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Does it load in pharo well?
>>
> It definitely works in 1.0.  I don't remember if I loaded it in 1.1, I'll
> try when I get a minute.
>

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> Where is it?
>>
> SqS.  I will upload my fixes soon.
>
> Sean

Re: About TDD and Pharo

On Jun 3, 2010, at 9:13 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> -Suggest to delete accessors when deleting an IV
>
> You cannot delete an inst-var with the refactoring engine if there are
> references.

but lukas you can pipe them.
first remove the iv
second ask for removing accessors

>> -Be able to generate accessors for multiple IVs at the same time (like in eclipse!)
>
> This is built-in for several years now: refactor class | create accessors
>
>> -Have a preference that automatically generate accessors on addition of IVs / class definition
>
> I rarely use these accessor refactorings because I have to rewrite
> each method by hand afterwards anyway to have a type-revealing
> argument name and a comment.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: About TDD and Pharo

hernan can you chop that into simple but entry as request for improvement?

Stef

On Jun 3, 2010, at 11:04 PM, Hernan Wilkinson wrote:

> [...]
>
> I think that using TDD or BDD is another discussion... (for me there is no much different, that depends on what you understand with TDD...)
> I don't know if I'd like the test to run automatically, never tried it, but it looks to me that it could be distractive...
>
> Bye
> Hernan
>

> 2010/6/3 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>
> What Hernán did is here:   http://www.squeaksource.com/TDDFacilities.html
>
> That was for Pharo 1.0.
>
> For those that want to help in this subject I think the first step could be to load such package in a PharoCore1.1 and fix it in case it doesn't work.
> Then, it can be integrated as part of PharoCore. Although it may be cool to have a preference to enable or disable all this changes (more TDD oriented), as we are not doing TDD all the time and sometimes we want the normal behavior.
>
> Once we have that, we can start improving. For example, I would love also what Guille said: key bindings for the debugger. I would LOVE to have a Pharo less mouse oriented (I don't care who invented the mouse, I rather the keyboard).
>
> So..open a bug ticket and start to play.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> 2010/6/3 Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>
>
> Hello, No I dont. Who is it?
>
> 2010/6/3 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>
> do you happen to know tim mckinnon?
>
> Stef
> On Jun 3, 2010, at 12:13 AM, Denis Kudriashov wrote:
>
> > I use Mockery - my implementation SSpec idies. It is realy more powerfull, transparency and flexibility.
> >
> > With Mockery you dont need any special base classes for TestCases or mocks factory variables in code. You just use mocks where you want by Block creation scenarios:
> >
> > [:mock |
> >   [sut doWith: mock] should lenient satisfy: [mock someMessage willReturn: #result]
> > ] runScenario.
> >
> > State specs like "5 should be an instance of: Integer" can be easely added by pragmas.
> >
> > And Its work in Pharo 1.0.
> >
> > Of course, It's needs more good stuff. But now I dont have enough time.
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/Mocketry.html
> >
> > 2010/6/3 Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>
> >

> > Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> > >
> > > Imagine that we would like to sell pharo (+ seaside) as THE agile platform
> > > for doing TDD.
> > > What would be the changes that we could do support it.
> > >

> > Coming from Ruby, it seemed like BDD was taking over the world, and was the
> > next step in TDD evolution, but I found few mentions of it in the Squeak
> > world.  For my own projects, I use SSpec (which I have been fixing as I go
> > along).  I only use "tests" with SUnit assertions for community projects, as
> > not to confuse or add additional dependencies.
> >
> > I think that core BDD support would be necessary to woo developers here,
> > especially from Ruby, where all the passion and conversation is around BDD.

Re: About TDD and Pharo

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
I know that keith integrated SSpec and SUnit so probably there are enhancements there.
Thanks Steph, I had checked the Testing project before and its latest timestamp for SSpec is a few years earlier, so I think the SSpec repo has the best version.

But it seems that project was in line with what I was suggesting - to have BDD tools together with the TDD tools.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: About TDD and Pharo

niko.schwarz
I think the rationale must be: during TDD it's ok to ask the developer
questions that he can answer right away. Thus, it's ok that the create
button asks for the class: you know instantly what to answer. But
asking for the method category is a major pain. I don't know about
y'all, but I never quite know upfront how I'll structure my
categories. That emerges much later in the process.

In short: remove the asking for the method category. Just put it in
'not yet categorized', and have me figure it out later.

Cheers,

Niko

2010/6/2 Germán Leiva <[hidden email]>:

> I'm thinking out load here ...
> In the debugger when a DNU is raised, for speeding up the programming in
> "TDD mode":
>
> The create button must add the method in the class of the receiver, the
> possibility to choose a superclass of the receiver must be optional (I don't
> like the recurrent asking...) in other button for example or having
> different shortcuts from the keyboard
> If I send a message that I already know that will be a getter, some option
> like "Create getter" could automagically create the method and the instance
> variable.
> When we a accept a method for the first time the pop-ups saying "Unkown
> selector please confirm, select or cancel" are really annoying and decrease
> coding speed
> Same for the category pop-ups
> In the creation of a new class through "define new class" it will be helpful
> to remember the last class category used
>
> Some ToDo list supported from the environment and some facility for the
> creation of test.
> All of the above maybe just make sense in TDD mode or not =P
> Cheers
> 2010/6/2 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>
>>
>> The problems that I would like to see Pharo address are:
>>  - redundancies in unit tests
>>  - coverage of tests
>>  - classification of low and high levels of tests (implementation tests vs
>> user stories)
>>
>> What are the tools to identify and solve this issues ? Research is needed
>> :-)
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 2 Jun 2010, at 15:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > Imagine that we would like to sell pharo (+ seaside) as THE agile
>> > platform for doing TDD.
>> > What would be the changes that we could do support it.
>> > I know that hernan did a package for that but not I would like to have a
>> > new list of items
>> > to support it.
>> >
>> > Stef

> Germán Leiva

http://scg.unibe.ch/staff/Schwarz
twitter.com/nes1983
Tel: +41 076 235 8683

Re: About TDD and Pharo

hernan.wilkinson
it is true, I almost all the time cancel that dialog to put the method as not yet categorized... but sometimes I select the category... I think that pressing ESC or cancel is not that bad in this case and I would keep this dialog.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Niko Schwarz <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the rationale must be: during TDD it's ok to ask the developer
questions that he can answer right away. Thus, it's ok that the create
button asks for the class: you know instantly what to answer. But
asking for the method category is a major pain. I don't know about
y'all, but I never quite know upfront how I'll structure my
categories. That emerges much later in the process.

In short: remove the asking for the method category. Just put it in
'not yet categorized', and have me figure it out later.

Cheers,

Niko

2010/6/2 Germán Leiva <[hidden email]>:
> I'm thinking out load here ...
> In the debugger when a DNU is raised, for speeding up the programming in
> "TDD mode":
>
> The create button must add the method in the class of the receiver, the
> possibility to choose a superclass of the receiver must be optional (I don't
> like the recurrent asking...) in other button for example or having
> different shortcuts from the keyboard
> If I send a message that I already know that will be a getter, some option
> like "Create getter" could automagically create the method and the instance
> variable.
> When we a accept a method for the first time the pop-ups saying "Unkown
> selector please confirm, select or cancel" are really annoying and decrease
> coding speed
> Same for the category pop-ups
> In the creation of a new class through "define new class" it will be helpful
> to remember the last class category used
>
> Some ToDo list supported from the environment and some facility for the
> creation of test.
> All of the above maybe just make sense in TDD mode or not =P
> Cheers
> 2010/6/2 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>
>>
>> The problems that I would like to see Pharo address are:
>>  - redundancies in unit tests
>>  - coverage of tests
>>  - classification of low and high levels of tests (implementation tests vs
>> user stories)
>>
>> What are the tools to identify and solve this issues ? Research is needed
>> :-)
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 2 Jun 2010, at 15:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > Imagine that we would like to sell pharo (+ seaside) as THE agile
>> > platform for doing TDD.
>> > What would be the changes that we could do support it.
>> > I know that hernan did a package for that but not I would like to have a
>> > new list of items
>> > to support it.
>> >
>> > Stef

> Germán Leiva

http://scg.unibe.ch/staff/Schwarz
twitter.com/nes1983
Tel: +41 076 235 8683

Re: About TDD and Pharo

Mariano Abel Coca
Yes but the list should be shorter. Maybe only showing the class categories and what I've previously entered since I opened the image. And not all the hierarchy categories.

Cheers,

Mariano.

2010/6/7 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>
> [...]

> All of the above maybe just make sense in TDD mode or not =P
> Cheers
> 2010/6/2 Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>
>>
>> The problems that I would like to see Pharo address are:
>>  - redundancies in unit tests
>>  - coverage of tests
>>  - classification of low and high levels of tests (implementation tests vs
>> user stories)
>>
>> What are the tools to identify and solve this issues ? Research is needed
>> :-)
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>> On 2 Jun 2010, at 15:30, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all
>> >
>> > Imagine that we would like to sell pharo (+ seaside) as THE agile
>> > platform for doing TDD.
>> > What would be the changes that we could do support it.
>> > I know that hernan did a package for that but not I would like to have a

Right, only that I'm unhappy with the naming. I'd never have guessed
that "cancel" does what I want. So far, I've always chosen a random
junk category and fixed it up later. A button "Cancel" I'd expect to
cancel the creation altogether.

Niko

2010/6/7 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>:

> it is true, I almost all the time cancel that dialog to put the method as
> not yet categorized... but sometimes I select the category... I think that
> pressing ESC or cancel is not that bad in this case and I would keep this
> dialog.
>
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Niko Schwarz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I think the rationale must be: during TDD it's ok to ask the developer
>> questions that he can answer right away. Thus, it's ok that the create
>> button asks for the class: you know instantly what to answer. But
>> asking for the method category is a major pain. I don't know about
>> y'all, but I never quite know upfront how I'll structure my
>> categories. That emerges much later in the process.
>>
>> In short: remove the asking for the method category. Just put it in
>> 'not yet categorized', and have me figure it out later.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Niko
>>
>> 2010/6/2 Germán Leiva <[hidden email]>:
>> > I'm thinking out load here ...
>> > In the debugger when a DNU is raised, for speeding up the programming in
>> > "TDD mode":
>> >
>> > The create button must add the method in the class of the receiver, the
>> > possibility to choose a superclass of the receiver must be optional (I
>> > don't
>> > like the recurrent asking...) in other button for example or having
>> > different shortcuts from the keyboard
>> > If I send a message that I already know that will be a getter, some
>> > option
>> > like "Create getter" could automagically create the method and the
>> > instance
>> > variable.
>> > When we a accept a method for the first time the pop-ups saying "Unkown
>> > selector please confirm, select or cancel" are really annoying and
>> > decrease
>> > coding speed
>> > Same for the category pop-ups
>> > In the creation of a new class through "define new class" it will be
>> > helpful
>> > to remember the last class category used
>> >
>> > Some ToDo list supported from the environment and some facility for the
>> > creation of test.
>> > All of the above maybe just make sense in TDD mode or not =P
>> > Cheers

>> > --
>> > Germán Leiva
>> > [hidden email]

>> --
>> http://scg.unibe.ch/staff/Schwarz
>> twitter.com/nes1983
>> Tel: +41 076 235 8683

http://scg.unibe.ch/staff/Schwarz
twitter.com/nes1983
Tel: +41 076 235 8683

Re: About TDD and Pharo

Mariano Abel Coca
True, that happened to me too... Until I wanted to cancel the creation, and then I realized... It's a really bad name.

Cheers,

Mariano.

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Niko Schwarz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > different shortcuts from the keyboard
>> > If I send a message that I already know that will be a getter, some
>> > option
>> > like "Create getter" could automagically create the method and the
>> > instance
>> > variable.
>> > When we a accept a method for the first time the pop-ups saying "Unkown
>> > selector please confirm, select or cancel" are really annoying and
>> > decrease
>> > coding speed
>> > Same for the category pop-ups
>> > In the creation of a new class through "define new class" it will be
>> > helpful
>> > to remember the last class category used
>> >
>> > Some ToDo list supported from the environment and some facility for the
>> > creation of test.
>> > All of the above maybe just make sense in TDD mode or not =P

Gaboto
maybe the right name would be something like "don´t categorize"  ;)

> [...]

>> > different shortcuts from the keyboard
>> > If I send a message that I already know that will be a getter, some
>> > option
>> > like "Create getter" could automagically create the method and the
>> > instance
>> > variable.
>> > When we a accept a method for the first time the pop-ups saying "Unkown
>> > selector please confirm, select or cancel" are really annoying and
>> > decrease
>> > coding speed
>> > Same for the category pop-ups
>> > In the creation of a new class through "define new class" it will be
>> > helpful
>> > to remember the last class category used
>> >
>> > Some ToDo list supported from the environment and some facility for the
>> > creation of test.
>> > All of the above maybe just make sense in TDD mode or not =P

Why not offer "not yet categorized" as the first option as a category
to choose from?

Niko

2010/6/7 Gabriel Brunstein <[hidden email]>:

> maybe the right name would be something like "don´t categorize"  ;)
>
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Niko Schwarz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Right, only that I'm unhappy with the naming. I'd never have guessed
>> that "cancel" does what I want. So far, I've always chosen a random
>> junk category and fixed it up later. A button "Cancel" I'd expect to
>> cancel the creation altogether.
>>
>> Niko
>>
>> 2010/6/7 Hernan Wilkinson <[hidden email]>:
>> > it is true, I almost all the time cancel that dialog to put the method
>> > as
>> > not yet categorized... but sometimes I select the category... I think
>> > that
>> > pressing ESC or cancel is not that bad in this case and I would keep
>> > this
>> > dialog.
>> >
>> > On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Niko Schwarz
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> --
>> http://scg.unibe.ch/staff/Schwarz
>> twitter.com/nes1983