About XML Support in the 1.2

12

Re: About XML Support in the 1.2

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks laurent!

On Jan 19, 2011, at 9:19 PM, laurent laffont wrote:

> I've copied latest ConfigurationOfXMLSupport in MetacelloRepository.
>
> ConfigurationOfPharo-LaurentLaffont.121
>
> XMLSupport:
> - update to release 1.1.6
> - add project 'XMLSupport Tests' in group 'Dev Tools Tests'
>
> All 361 tests green.
>
> Laurent Laffont
>

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The last version 1.1.6 is marked as #release.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:26, laurent laffont wrote:
>
> > I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
> >
> > Laurent
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 19, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
> >
> >> Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in PharoDev. I would also strongly support the idea of removing XMLSupport from PharoDev.
> >>

> > What would be important: we need the latest version in Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the tests are green?
> > (not of XML, but in general)
> >
> >       Marcus
> >
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru

> >> --
> >> www.tudorgirba.com
> >>
> >> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."
> >>

> > --
> > Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
> > INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
> >

> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: About XML Support in the 1.2

Tudor Girba
Thanks, indeed.

Does this mean that the next build will take this into account or must something else get changed as well?

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Jan 2011, at 21:24, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> thanks laurent!
>
> On Jan 19, 2011, at 9:19 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> I've copied latest ConfigurationOfXMLSupport in MetacelloRepository.
>>
>> ConfigurationOfPharo-LaurentLaffont.121
>>
>> XMLSupport:
>> - update to release 1.1.6
>> - add project 'XMLSupport Tests' in group 'Dev Tools Tests'
>>
>> All 361 tests green.
>>
>> Laurent Laffont
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The last version 1.1.6 is marked as #release.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:26, laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>>> I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
>>>
>>> Laurent

>>> What would be important: we need the latest version in Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the tests are green?
>>> (not of XML, but in general)
>>>
>>>      Marcus

>>> --
>>> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>>> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>> you will end up with a messy haircut."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: About XML Support in the 1.2

laurent laffont
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, indeed.

Does this mean that the next build will take this into account or must something else get changed as well?

Next build will takes this in account.

The problem is that the build fails now.

On my machine, while loading AutomaticMethodCategorizer-MarianoMartinez.29 I get the error:

PluggableTextMorph(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #stylerStyled:

SHTextStylerST80(SHTextStyler)>>style:

PluggableTextMorph>>setText:

PluggableTextMorph>>on:text:accept:readSelection:menu:

PluggableTextMorph class>>on:text:accept:readSelection:menu:

Workspace>>embeddedInMorphicWindowLabeled:

Workspace(StringHolder)>>openAsMorphLabel:

Workspace(StringHolder)>>openLabel:

AutomaticMethodCategorizer class>>showFirstInstallationInstructions

AutomaticMethodCategorizer class>>initialize

MCMethodDefinition>>postloadOver:

Laurent

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Jan 2011, at 21:24, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> thanks laurent!
>
> On Jan 19, 2011, at 9:19 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> I've copied latest ConfigurationOfXMLSupport in MetacelloRepository.
>>
>> ConfigurationOfPharo-LaurentLaffont.121
>>
>> XMLSupport:
>> - update to release 1.1.6
>> - add project 'XMLSupport Tests' in group 'Dev Tools Tests'
>>
>> All 361 tests green.
>>
>> Laurent Laffont
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The last version 1.1.6 is marked as #release.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:26, laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>>> I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
>>>
>>> Laurent

>>> What would be important: we need the latest version in Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the tests are green?
>>> (not of XML, but in general)
>>>
>>>      Marcus

>>> --
>>> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>>> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>>>

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>> you will end up with a messy haircut."

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Being happy is a matter of choice."

Re: About XML Support in the 1.2

Alain Plantec-4
> PluggableTextMorph(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #stylerStyled:
I've the same problem when I load Moose and/or Petit with the following
scripts:

Gofer new
     squeaksource: 'Moose';
     package: 'ConfigurationOfMoose';
     load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMoose) perform: #loadDefault.

Gofer new
     renggli: 'petit';
     package: 'ConfigurationOfPetitParser';
     load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPetitParser) perform: #loadDefault.

Cheers
Alain

Le 19/01/2011 21:56, laurent laffont a écrit :

> [...]
>     >>>> --
>     >>>> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>     >>>>
>     >>>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>
>     >>> --
>     >>> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>     >>> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>>
>     >>
>     >> --
>     >> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>     >>
>     >> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>     >> you will end up with a messy haircut."

NorbertHartl

On 19.01.2011, at 19:01, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> I think that the a good working model is to store the ConfigurationOfXXX in the project repository along with the project mcz files.
>
> When a new version is released the configuration should be copied to MetacelloRepository for the Pharo and Squeak community. I have a GemSource MetacelloRepository where I put copies of configurations that have been ported to GemStone .... when a new version for GemStone is available.
>
> I would not recommend that configurations be removed from MetacelloRepository as that could break existing configurations that expect to find the configuration there. So if it is found that there are out-of-date configurations in MetacelloRepository, a new version of the configuration should be copied into MetacelloRepository.
>
> Now that Metacello is more established, I don't think that it is critical to require that all configurations be copied to MetacelloRepository.
>
> It still is useful to have a sort of clearinghouse for configurations and until a better solution comes along it serves that purpose. BTW, I think Stef has plans to provide better solutions for Pharo...

I understand what you are saying and I partially agree. But it just doesn't feel right and this is easy to show. In this example of ConfigurationOfXMLSupport there was not one caring person like you are that does everything and has on overview. There is a Configuration in MetacelloRepository than it was decided to keep the main Configuration file in XMLSupport repository. Development took place in the XMLSupport repository. In the meantime someone changed the Configuration in MetacelloRepsository probably for integration purposes. Now the Configuration has been copied from XMLSupport and has overwritten the changes that have been made to the existing Configuration. That is what you get if you branch off things.

I don't know how to solve this properly because I didn't have time to follow the metacello discussions. But if there is a possibility to specify the stable for pharo 1.1.1 that doesn't change even if the packages evolves I can't see much reason to have a writable version of the Configuration in MetacelloRepository.

Norbert

> [...]
>>>        >>> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com/>
>>>        >>>
>>>        >>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."
>>>        >>>
>>>        >>>
>>>        >>>
>>>        >>>
>>>        >>
>>>        >> --
>>>        >> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>>>        <http://www.marcusdenker.de/>
>>>        >> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>>>        >>
>>>        >>
>>>        >>
>>>        >
>>>        > --
>>>        > www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com/>
>>>        >
>>>        > "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>>>        > you will end up with a messy haircut."

jaayer

---- On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 04:37:54 -0800 Norbert Hartl  wrote ----

>It depends where you look at. ConfigurationOfXMLSupport exists in MetacelloRepository as well as in XMLSupport. The latter one being the official one, the former one being very outdated. My sugesstion would be to remove ConfigurationOfXMLSupport from MetacelloRepository to lower the confusion.

I can copy configurations over to MetacelloRepository periodically; it's not too much trouble. Of course, this will result in some redundancy.

---- On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:19:40 -0800 laurent laffont  wrote ----

>I've copied latest ConfigurationOfXMLSupport in MetacelloRepository.
>

>ConfigurationOfPharo-LaurentLaffont.121
>

>XMLSupport:
>- update to release 1.1.6
> - add project 'XMLSupport Tests' in group 'Dev Tools Tests'

Note that XMLSupport pulls in some "helper" collection packages: an order-preserving dictionary and a bitmap-based character set, at the moment. The tests for these packages are *not* loaded in automatically.

On 19.01.2011, at 20:54, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> But now if the server of lukas is eaten by monsters during the night or if you don't have your cool distributions containing all the nice
> packages of the version you want to load you are toasted. Simple just toasted.
> So when I program with pharo 1.1 I just want to get the work done and load the components loading in pharo1.1 so I open the repositoryOfTheDsitibution and I load the tools I need.
>
> If I need something more advanced I decide to go in the project and check if I can load the version may be developed on 1.2, 1,3 in my version.
> Or I change and switch to that distribution.
>
> So the act of publishing a configuration should not be just a copy this is a publication for inclusion in distribution.

If it is not just a copy what else is implied?

Norbert

---- On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 01:02:54 -0800 jaayer  wrote ----

>---- On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:19:40 -0800 laurent laffont wrote ----
>
>>I've copied latest ConfigurationOfXMLSupport in MetacelloRepository.
>>

>>ConfigurationOfPharo-LaurentLaffont.121
>>

>>XMLSupport:
>>- update to release 1.1.6

I copied the latest version, 1.1.7, to the repository.

On 20 Jan 2011, at 10:11, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 19.01.2011, at 20:54, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> But now if the server of lukas is eaten by monsters during the night or if you don't have your cool distributions containing all the nice
>> packages of the version you want to load you are toasted. Simple just toasted.
>> So when I program with pharo 1.1 I just want to get the work done and load the components loading in pharo1.1 so I open the repositoryOfTheDsitibution and I load the tools I need.
>>
>> If I need something more advanced I decide to go in the project and check if I can load the version may be developed on 1.2, 1,3 in my version.
>> Or I change and switch to that distribution.
>>
>> So the act of publishing a configuration should not be just a copy this is a publication for inclusion in distribution.
>>
> If it is not just a copy what else is implied?

As Stef mentioned, there are two things to do:
- copy the actual packages into a different repository
- change the references to Monticello repositories from the Configurations (this should be applied both to packages and to nested configurations)

Cheers,
Doru

> Norbert

>>> Agreed!

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"When people care, great things can happen."

On 20.01.2011, at 10:18, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 20 Jan 2011, at 10:11, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>

>> On 19.01.2011, at 20:54, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> But now if the server of lukas is eaten by monsters during the night or if you don't have your cool distributions containing all the nice
>>> packages of the version you want to load you are toasted. Simple just toasted.
>>> So when I program with pharo 1.1 I just want to get the work done and load the components loading in pharo1.1 so I open the repositoryOfTheDsitibution and I load the tools I need.
>>>
>>> If I need something more advanced I decide to go in the project and check if I can load the version may be developed on 1.2, 1,3 in my version.
>>> Or I change and switch to that distribution.
>>>
>>> So the act of publishing a configuration should not be just a copy this is a publication for inclusion in distribution.
>>>
>> If it is not just a copy what else is implied?
>
> As Stef mentioned, there are two things to do:
> - copy the actual packages into a different repository
> - change the references to Monticello repositories from the Configurations (this should be applied both to packages and to nested configurations)

Thanks Doru for explaining. So this makes total sense to me packaging wise but it is a lot of re-doing while integrating. The repositories have to be changed every single time. But I think that there is a task that automatically copies the packages of a version and that metacello will have some solution for the change in repositories.

Norbert

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM, jaayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

---- On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 01:02:54 -0800 jaayer  wrote ----

I copied the latest version, 1.1.7, to the repository.

Should I update it ?

(Don't hesitate to update ConfigurationOfPharo :)

Laurent

>> - add project 'XMLSupport Tests' in group 'Dev Tools Tests'
>
>Note that XMLSupport pulls in some "helper" collection packages: an order-preserving dictionary and a bitmap-based character set, at the moment. The tests for these packages are *not* loaded in automatically.
>
>>All 361 tests green.
>>
>>Laurent Laffont
>>

>>On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>> The last version 1.1.6 is marked as #release.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:26, laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>> > I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
>> >
>> > Laurent

>> > What would be important: we need the latest version in Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the tests are green?
>> > (not of XML, but in general)
>> >
>> >       Marcus

>> > --
>> > Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>> > INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>> >

>>--
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>> you will end up with a messy haircut."

Re: About XML Support in the 1.2

>>> If it is not just a copy what else is implied?
>>
>> As Stef mentioned, there are two things to do:
>> - copy the actual packages into a different repository
>> - change the references to Monticello repositories from the Configurations (this should be applied both to packages and to nested configurations)
>>
> Thanks Doru for explaining. So this makes total sense to me packaging wise but it is a lot of re-doing while integrating. The repositories have to be changed every single time. But I think that there is a task that automatically copies the packages of a version and that metacello will have some solution for the change in repositories.

But metacello has an override for looking package so normally this can be mechanically done.
Dale?

Re: About XML Support in the 1.2

Dale Henrichs
On 01/19/2011 11:37 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 19.01.2011, at 19:01, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>
>> I think that the a good working model is to store the
>> ConfigurationOfXXX in the project repository along with the
>> project mcz files.
>>
>> When a new version is released the configuration should be copied
>> to MetacelloRepository for the Pharo and Squeak community. I have
>> a GemSource MetacelloRepository where I put copies of
>> configurations that have been ported to GemStone .... when a new
>> version for GemStone is available.
>>
>> I would not recommend that configurations be removed from
>> MetacelloRepository as that could break existing configurations
>> that expect to find the configuration there. So if it is found
>> that there are out-of-date configurations in MetacelloRepository, a
>> new version of the configuration should be copied into
>> MetacelloRepository.
>>
>> Now that Metacello is more established, I don't think that it is
>> critical to require that all configurations be copied to
>> MetacelloRepository.
>>
>> It still is useful to have a sort of clearinghouse for
>> configurations and until a better solution comes along it serves
>> that purpose. BTW, I think Stef has plans to provide better
>> solutions for Pharo...
>>
> I understand what you are saying and I partially agree. But it just
> doesn't feel right and this is easy to show. In this example of
> ConfigurationOfXMLSupport there was not one caring person like you
> are that does everything and has on overview. There is a
> Configuration in MetacelloRepository than it was decided to keep the
> main Configuration file in XMLSupport repository. Development took
> place in the XMLSupport repository. In the meantime someone changed
> the Configuration in MetacelloRepsository probably for integration
> purposes. Now the Configuration has been copied from XMLSupport and
> has overwritten the changes that have been made to the existing
> Configuration. That is what you get if you branch off things.
>
> I don't know how to solve this properly because I didn't have time
> to follow the metacello discussions. But if there is a possibility
> to specify the stable for pharo 1.1.1 that doesn't change even if
> the packages evolves I can't see much reason to have a writable
> version of the Configuration in MetacelloRepository.
>
> Norbert

I understand that there are potential problems using distributed version
control, but one of the reasons that I chose to use code for specifying
Metacello configurations is thatit made it possible to use Monticello
merge facilities to reconcile changes mad in different branches ...

This was a breakdown in procedure ... the intent of  MetacelloRepository
is not to create branches of configurations...if I recall, there was a
change in the developers that coincided with the creation of metacello
configurations ...

I would hope that this case be classed as a learning experience rather
than a condemnation of process.

I agree that there could be a better way, but I think that the better
way involves tools support and until we get the tools we must resort to
process ...

Dale