classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

About XML Support in the 1.2

Fabrizio Perin-3
Hi,

I have a problem with the XMLSupport version from Pharo 1.2.

The problem is that I need to work with one of the last version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is loaded an old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan 2010). I did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this operation impossible.
So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last) version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2 should not load XMLSupport at all.

I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an old version, also considering that the last XMLSupport has nice and useful features like the XMLPluggableElementFactory.

By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by default you let people free to use the version that they like.

Thanks,

Fabrizio

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: About XML Support in the 1.2

Tudor Girba
Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in PharoDev. I would also strongly support the idea of removing XMLSupport from PharoDev.

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Jan 2011, at 11:32, Fabrizio Perin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with the XMLSupport version from Pharo 1.2.
>
> The problem is that I need to work with one of the last version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is loaded an old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan 2010). I did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this operation impossible.
> So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last) version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2 should not load XMLSupport at all.
>
> I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an old version, also considering that the last XMLSupport has nice and useful features like the XMLPluggableElementFactory.
>
> By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by default you let people free to use the version that they like.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fabrizio
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcus Denker-4
In reply to this post by Fabrizio Perin-3

On Jan 19, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in PharoDev. I would also strongly support the idea of removing XMLSupport from PharoDev.
>

What would be important: we need the latest version in Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the tests are green?
(not of XML, but in general)

Marcus

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 19 Jan 2011, at 11:32, Fabrizio Perin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a problem with the XMLSupport version from Pharo 1.2.
>>
>> The problem is that I need to work with one of the last version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is loaded an old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan 2010). I did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this operation impossible.
>> So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last) version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2 should not load XMLSupport at all.
>>
>> I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an old version, also considering that the last XMLSupport has nice and useful features like the XMLPluggableElementFactory.
>>
>> By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by default you let people free to use the version that they like.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Fabrizio
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."
>
>
>
>

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont
I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because blessing was #release. But I agree to change.

Laurent

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in PharoDev. I would also strongly support the idea of removing XMLSupport from PharoDev.
>

What would be important: we need the latest version in Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the tests are green?
(not of XML, but in general)

Marcus

> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>> The problem is that I need to work with one of the last version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is loaded an old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan 2010). I did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this operation impossible.
>> So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last) version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2 should not load XMLSupport at all.
>>
>> I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an old version, also considering that the last XMLSupport has nice and useful features like the XMLPluggableElementFactory.
>>
>> By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by default you let people free to use the version that they like.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Fabrizio
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
>
>
>
>

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Tudor Girba
+1

Stef

>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Fabrizio
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba
In reply to this post by laurent laffont
The last version 1.1.6 is marked as #release.

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:26, laurent laffont wrote:

> I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
>
> Laurent
>
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Jan 19, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in PharoDev. I would also strongly support the idea of removing XMLSupport from PharoDev.
>>
>
> What would be important: we need the latest version in Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the tests are green?
> (not of XML, but in general)
>
>       Marcus
>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>> On 19 Jan 2011, at 11:32, Fabrizio Perin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with the XMLSupport version from Pharo 1.2.
>>>
>>> The problem is that I need to work with one of the last version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is loaded an old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan 2010). I did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this operation impossible.
>>> So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last) version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2 should not load XMLSupport at all.
>>>
>>> I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an old version, also considering that the last XMLSupport has nice and useful features like the XMLPluggableElementFactory.
>>>
>>> By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by default you let people free to use the version that they like.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Fabrizio
>>>
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>
>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
It depends where you look at. ConfigurationOfXMLSupport exists in MetacelloRepository as well as in XMLSupport. The latter one being the official one, the former one being very outdated. My sugesstion would be to remove ConfigurationOfXMLSupport from MetacelloRepository to lower the confusion.

Norbert

On 19.01.2011, at 13:18, Tudor Girba wrote:

> The last version 1.1.6 is marked as #release.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:26, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 19, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in PharoDev. I would also strongly support the idea of removing XMLSupport from PharoDev.
>>>
>>
>> What would be important: we need the latest version in Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the tests are green?
>> (not of XML, but in general)
>>
>>      Marcus
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>>
>>> On 19 Jan 2011, at 11:32, Fabrizio Perin wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I have a problem with the XMLSupport version from Pharo 1.2.
>>>>
>>>> The problem is that I need to work with one of the last version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is loaded an old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan 2010). I did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this operation impossible.
>>>> So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last) version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2 should not load XMLSupport at all.
>>>>
>>>> I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an old version, also considering that the last XMLSupport has nice and useful features like the XMLPluggableElementFactory.
>>>>
>>>> By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by default you let people free to use the version that they like.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Fabrizio
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
> you will end up with a messy haircut."
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
It depends where you look at. ConfigurationOfXMLSupport exists in MetacelloRepository as well as in XMLSupport. The latter one being the official one, the former one being very outdated. My sugesstion would be to remove ConfigurationOfXMLSupport from MetacelloRepository to lower the confusion.

Personnally I always look in MetacelloRepository, this should be the reference IMHO.

In MetacelloRepository, the latest version of ConfigurationOfXMLSupport is 1.0.2  (no 1.1.6).

Laurent

Norbert

>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
>
>> I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>>
>>
>>> Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in PharoDev. I would also strongly support the idea of removing XMLSupport from PharoDev.
>>>
>>
>> What would be important: we need the latest version in Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the tests are green?
>>
>>      Marcus
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> The problem is that I need to work with one of the last version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is loaded an old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan 2010). I did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this operation impossible.
>>>> So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last) version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2 should not load XMLSupport at all.
>>>>
>>>> I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an old version, also considering that the last XMLSupport has nice and useful features like the XMLPluggableElementFactory.
>>>>
>>>> By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by default you let people free to use the version that they like.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Fabrizio
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
I like to have related things together because they are easier to browse (from the app developer point of view) :).  From the user who wants to use several packages, it is not confortable at all, I know...

I think MetacelloRepository is being used as:
  - a bag to put everything we don't know where to put
  - (in companion to Monticello) a tool to browse every available metacello config.

I think 1) is not a good reason to put things there, but sometimes it is useful (or mandatory when we want a config but we don't have access to the repos, hehe).
And 2) is remarking our lack of tools for metacello use :).

Arghhhhh, I need time :(.  I would like to gather forces with someone doing this kind of tool...

Guille

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:30 AM, laurent laffont <[hidden email]> wrote:

Personnally I always look in MetacelloRepository, this should be the reference IMHO.

In MetacelloRepository, the latest version of ConfigurationOfXMLSupport is 1.0.2  (no 1.1.6).

Laurent

Norbert

>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
>
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>      Marcus
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Fabrizio
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

NorbertHartl
In reply to this post by laurent laffont

On 19.01.2011, at 14:30, laurent laffont wrote:

Laurent,

I think it is up to the maintainers where to put those files. And in the XMLSupport case the decision was made deliberately not to put it in MetacelloRepository but in XMLSupport. The only thing I want to avoid is having multiple different files floating around that are edited in an inconsistent way. 

Norbert

Norbert

>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
>
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>      Marcus
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Fabrizio
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

Laurent,

I think it is up to the maintainers where to put those files. And in the XMLSupport case the decision was made deliberately not to put it in MetacelloRepository but in XMLSupport. The only thing I want to avoid is having multiple different files floating around that are edited in an inconsistent way. 

I thought that all ConfigurationOfXXX working for Pharo should be put in MetacelloRepository so we have a central place to look at.

But I may be wrong.  Mariano ? Dale ?

Laurent

Norbert

Norbert

>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
>
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>      Marcus
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>>
>>>> Fabrizio
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs
I think that the a good working model is to store the ConfigurationOfXXX
in the project repository along with the project mcz files.

When a new version is released the configuration should be copied to
MetacelloRepository for the Pharo and Squeak community. I have a
GemSource MetacelloRepository where I put copies of configurations that
have been ported to GemStone .... when a new version for GemStone is
available.

I would not recommend that configurations be removed from
MetacelloRepository as that could break existing configurations that
expect to find the configuration there. So if it is found that there are
out-of-date configurations in MetacelloRepository, a new version of the
configuration should be copied into MetacelloRepository.

Now that Metacello is more established, I don't think that it is
critical to require that all configurations be copied to
MetacelloRepository.

It still is useful to have a sort of clearinghouse for configurations
and until a better solution comes along it serves that purpose. BTW, I
think Stef has plans to provide better solutions for Pharo...

Dale

On 01/19/2011 06:12 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>
>     On 19.01.2011, at 14:30, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>>     On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>         It depends where you look at. ConfigurationOfXMLSupport exists
>>         in MetacelloRepository as well as in XMLSupport. The latter
>>         one being the official one, the former one being very
>>         outdated. My sugesstion would be to remove
>>         ConfigurationOfXMLSupport from MetacelloRepository to lower
>>         the confusion.
>>
>>
>>     Personnally I always look in MetacelloRepository, this should be
>>     the reference IMHO.
>>
>     Laurent,
>
>     I think it is up to the maintainers where to put those files. And in
>     the XMLSupport case the decision was made deliberately not to put it
>     in MetacelloRepository but in XMLSupport. The only thing I want to
>     avoid is having multiple different files floating around that are
>     edited in an inconsistent way.
>
>
> I thought that all ConfigurationOfXXX working for Pharo should be put in
> MetacelloRepository so we have a central place to look at.
>
> But I may be wrong.  Mariano ? Dale ?
>
> Laurent
>
>
>     Norbert
>
>>
>>         Norbert
>>
>>         On 19.01.2011, at 13:18, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>         > The last version 1.1.6 is marked as #release.
>>         >
>>         > Cheers,
>>         > Doru
>>         >
>>         >
>>         > On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:26, laurent laffont wrote:
>>         >
>>         >> I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because
>>         blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
>>         >>
>>         >> Laurent
>>         >>
>>         >> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Marcus Denker
>>         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>         >>
>>         >> On Jan 19, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>         >>
>>         >>> Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend
>>         on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in PharoDev. I
>>         would also strongly support the idea of removing XMLSupport
>>         from PharoDev.
>>         >>>
>>         >>
>>         >> What would be important: we need the latest version in
>>         Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the
>>         tests are green?
>>         >> (not of XML, but in general)
>>         >>
>>         >>      Marcus
>>         >>
>>         >>> Cheers,
>>         >>> Doru
>>         >>>
>>         >>>
>>         >>> On 19 Jan 2011, at 11:32, Fabrizio Perin wrote:
>>         >>>
>>         >>>> Hi,
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> I have a problem with the XMLSupport version from Pharo 1.2.
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> The problem is that I need to work with one of the last
>>         version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is loaded an
>>         old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan 2010). I
>>         did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using
>>         ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this operation
>>         impossible.
>>         >>>> So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last)
>>         version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2 should not
>>         load XMLSupport at all.
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an
>>         old version, also considering that the last XMLSupport has
>>         nice and useful features like the XMLPluggableElementFactory.
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by
>>         default you let people free to use the version that they like.
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> Thanks,
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>> Fabrizio
>>         >>>>
>>         >>>
>>         >>> --
>>         >>> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com/>
>>         >>>
>>         >>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."
>>         >>>
>>         >>>
>>         >>>
>>         >>>
>>         >>
>>         >> --
>>         >> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>>         <http://www.marcusdenker.de/>
>>         >> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>>         >>
>>         >>
>>         >>
>>         >
>>         > --
>>         > www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com/>
>>         >
>>         > "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>>         > you will end up with a messy haircut."
>>         >
>>         >
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
But that kind of duplication will lead to having always not up to date configurations...

Why not having something like a meta "configuration" (I'm not thinking in a metacello config, but maybe) that knows which are the current configurations and where to find them?  And that config would let us build tools on top of it...

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think that the a good working model is to store the ConfigurationOfXXX in the project repository along with the project mcz files.

When a new version is released the configuration should be copied to MetacelloRepository for the Pharo and Squeak community. I have a GemSource MetacelloRepository where I put copies of configurations that have been ported to GemStone .... when a new version for GemStone is available.

I would not recommend that configurations be removed from MetacelloRepository as that could break existing configurations that expect to find the configuration there. So if it is found that there are out-of-date configurations in MetacelloRepository, a new version of the configuration should be copied into MetacelloRepository.

Now that Metacello is more established, I don't think that it is critical to require that all configurations be copied to MetacelloRepository.

It still is useful to have a sort of clearinghouse for configurations and until a better solution comes along it serves that purpose. BTW, I think Stef has plans to provide better solutions for Pharo...

Dale

On 01/19/2011 06:12 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]
   <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

It depends where you look at. ConfigurationOfXMLSupport exists
       in MetacelloRepository as well as in XMLSupport. The latter
       one being the official one, the former one being very
       outdated. My sugesstion would be to remove
       ConfigurationOfXMLSupport from MetacelloRepository to lower
       the confusion.

Personnally I always look in MetacelloRepository, this should be
   the reference IMHO.

Laurent,

I think it is up to the maintainers where to put those files. And in
   the XMLSupport case the decision was made deliberately not to put it
   in MetacelloRepository but in XMLSupport. The only thing I want to
   avoid is having multiple different files floating around that are
   edited in an inconsistent way.

I thought that all ConfigurationOfXXX working for Pharo should be put in
MetacelloRepository so we have a central place to look at.

But I may be wrong.  Mariano ? Dale ?

Laurent

Norbert

Norbert

>
       > Cheers,
       > Doru
       >
       >
       >
       >> I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because
       blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
       >>
       >> Laurent
       >>
       >> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Marcus Denker
       <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
       >>
       >>
       >>> Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend
       on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in PharoDev. I
       would also strongly support the idea of removing XMLSupport
       from PharoDev.
       >>>
       >>
       >> What would be important: we need the latest version in
       Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the
       tests are green?
       >>
       >>      Marcus
       >>
       >>> Cheers,
       >>> Doru
       >>>
       >>>
       >>>
       >>>> Hi,
       >>>>
       >>>>
       >>>> The problem is that I need to work with one of the last
       version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is loaded an
       old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan 2010). I
       did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using
       ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this operation
       impossible.
       >>>> So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last)
       version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2 should not
       load XMLSupport at all.
       >>>>
       >>>> I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an
       old version, also considering that the last XMLSupport has
       nice and useful features like the XMLPluggableElementFactory.
       >>>>
       >>>> By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by
       default you let people free to use the version that they like.
       >>>>
       >>>> Thanks,
       >>>>
       >>>> Fabrizio
       >>>>
       >>>
       >>> --
       >>> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com/>

>>>
       >>>
       >>>
       >>>
       >>>
       >>
       >> --
       <http://www.marcusdenker.de/>
       >>
       >>
       >>
       >
       > --
       > www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com/>

>
       >
       >

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by NorbertHartl
What we envision if the following:

As a developer
        you put the configurationOf in your project

Then if you want your package to be available in the MetaCoolProjectsCatalogBrowser you should publish (special operation
which interprets the configuration recursively and copy all the needed packages into the MetaCoolProjectsCatalogRepository of the current
version of pharo. So the configuration will be in both your project and the distribution (because MetaCoolProjectsCatalogRepository is a disribution
of packages).

Now that metacello is available, we should push that because this is the way to go.
One distribution per version and conifguration that can be tested automatically by hudson.

Stef
Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito
We do not want our distributions of code to rely on external servers.
So the act of publishing should means that this is available and stored in a distribution and that we
can always access/burn it on cd and go on the moon without internet and load the configuration.

Stef

Reply | Threaded
|

Alexandre Bergel
+1

On 19 Jan 2011, at 16:28, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> We do not want our distributions of code to rely on external servers.
> So the act of publishing should means that this is available and stored in a distribution and that we
> can always access/burn it on cd and go on the moon without internet and load the configuration.
>
> Stef
>
>

--
_,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito
On 01/19/2011 10:28 AM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
> But that kind of duplication will lead to having always not up to date
> configurations...
>
> Why not having something like a meta "configuration" (I'm not thinking
> in a metacello config, but maybe) that knows which are the current
> configurations and where to find them?  And that config would let us
> build tools on top of it...

Agreed!

>
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I think that the a good working model is to store the
>     ConfigurationOfXXX in the project repository along with the project
>     mcz files.
>
>     When a new version is released the configuration should be copied to
>     MetacelloRepository for the Pharo and Squeak community. I have a
>     GemSource MetacelloRepository where I put copies of configurations
>     that have been ported to GemStone .... when a new version for
>     GemStone is available.
>
>     I would not recommend that configurations be removed from
>     MetacelloRepository as that could break existing configurations that
>     expect to find the configuration there. So if it is found that there
>     are out-of-date configurations in MetacelloRepository, a new version
>     of the configuration should be copied into MetacelloRepository.
>
>     Now that Metacello is more established, I don't think that it is
>     critical to require that all configurations be copied to
>     MetacelloRepository.
>
>     It still is useful to have a sort of clearinghouse for
>     configurations and until a better solution comes along it serves
>     that purpose. BTW, I think Stef has plans to provide better
>     solutions for Pharo...
>
>     Dale
>
>
>
>     On 01/19/2011 06:12 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>         On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Norbert Hartl
>         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
>
>             On 19.01.2011, at 14:30, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>                 On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Norbert Hartl
>             <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>             <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
>                     It depends where you look at.
>             ConfigurationOfXMLSupport exists
>                     in MetacelloRepository as well as in XMLSupport. The
>             latter
>                     one being the official one, the former one being very
>                     outdated. My sugesstion would be to remove
>                     ConfigurationOfXMLSupport from MetacelloRepository
>             to lower
>                     the confusion.
>
>
>                 Personnally I always look in MetacelloRepository, this
>             should be
>                 the reference IMHO.
>
>             Laurent,
>
>             I think it is up to the maintainers where to put those
>         files. And in
>             the XMLSupport case the decision was made deliberately not
>         to put it
>             in MetacelloRepository but in XMLSupport. The only thing I
>         want to
>             avoid is having multiple different files floating around
>         that are
>             edited in an inconsistent way.
>
>
>         I thought that all ConfigurationOfXXX working for Pharo should
>         be put in
>         MetacelloRepository so we have a central place to look at.
>
>         But I may be wrong.  Mariano ? Dale ?
>
>         Laurent
>
>
>             Norbert
>
>
>                     Norbert
>
>                     On 19.01.2011, at 13:18, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>              > The last version 1.1.6 is marked as #release.
>              >
>              > Cheers,
>              > Doru
>              >
>              >
>              > On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:26, laurent laffont wrote:
>              >
>              >> I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because
>                     blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
>              >>
>              >> Laurent
>              >>
>              >> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Marcus Denker
>             <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>             <mailto:[hidden email]
>             <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>              >>
>              >> On Jan 19, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>              >>
>              >>> Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend
>                     on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in
>             PharoDev. I
>                     would also strongly support the idea of removing
>             XMLSupport
>                     from PharoDev.
>              >>>
>              >>
>              >> What would be important: we need the latest version in
>                     Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version
>             where the
>                     tests are green?
>              >> (not of XML, but in general)
>              >>
>              >>      Marcus
>              >>
>              >>> Cheers,
>              >>> Doru
>              >>>
>              >>>
>              >>> On 19 Jan 2011, at 11:32, Fabrizio Perin wrote:
>              >>>
>              >>>> Hi,
>              >>>>
>              >>>> I have a problem with the XMLSupport version from
>             Pharo 1.2.
>              >>>>
>              >>>> The problem is that I need to work with one of the last
>                     version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is
>             loaded an
>                     old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan
>             2010). I
>                     did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using
>                     ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this
>             operation
>                     impossible.
>              >>>> So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last)
>                     version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2
>             should not
>                     load XMLSupport at all.
>              >>>>
>              >>>> I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an
>                     old version, also considering that the last
>             XMLSupport has
>                     nice and useful features like the
>             XMLPluggableElementFactory.
>              >>>>
>              >>>> By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by
>                     default you let people free to use the version that
>             they like.
>              >>>>
>              >>>> Thanks,
>              >>>>
>              >>>> Fabrizio
>              >>>>
>              >>>
>              >>> --
>              >>> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>             <http://www.tudorgirba.com/>
>
>              >>>
>              >>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."
>              >>>
>              >>>
>              >>>
>              >>>
>              >>
>              >> --
>              >> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>             <http://www.marcusdenker.de/>
>              >> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>              >>
>              >>
>              >>
>              >
>              > --
>              > www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>             <http://www.tudorgirba.com/>
>
>              >
>              > "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>              > you will end up with a messy haircut."
>              >
>              >
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
But now if the server of lukas is eaten by monsters during the night or if you don't have your cool distributions containing all the nice
packages of the version you want to load you are toasted. Simple just toasted.
So when I program with pharo 1.1 I just want to get the work done and load the components loading in pharo1.1 so I open the repositoryOfTheDsitibution and I load the tools I need.

If I need something more advanced I decide to go in the project and check if I can load the version may be developed on 1.2, 1,3 in my version.
Or I change and switch to that distribution.

So the act of publishing a configuration should not be just a copy this is a publication for inclusion in distribution.

Stef

>
>> But that kind of duplication will lead to having always not up to date
>> configurations...
>>
>> Why not having something like a meta "configuration" (I'm not thinking
>> in a metacello config, but maybe) that knows which are the current
>> configurations and where to find them?  And that config would let us
>> build tools on top of it...
>
> Agreed!
>
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    I think that the a good working model is to store the
>>    ConfigurationOfXXX in the project repository along with the project
>>    mcz files.
>>
>>    When a new version is released the configuration should be copied to
>>    MetacelloRepository for the Pharo and Squeak community. I have a
>>    GemSource MetacelloRepository where I put copies of configurations
>>    that have been ported to GemStone .... when a new version for
>>    GemStone is available.
>>
>>    I would not recommend that configurations be removed from
>>    MetacelloRepository as that could break existing configurations that
>>    expect to find the configuration there. So if it is found that there
>>    are out-of-date configurations in MetacelloRepository, a new version
>>    of the configuration should be copied into MetacelloRepository.
>>
>>    Now that Metacello is more established, I don't think that it is
>>    critical to require that all configurations be copied to
>>    MetacelloRepository.
>>
>>    It still is useful to have a sort of clearinghouse for
>>    configurations and until a better solution comes along it serves
>>    that purpose. BTW, I think Stef has plans to provide better
>>    solutions for Pharo...
>>
>>    Dale
>>
>>
>>
>>    On 01/19/2011 06:12 AM, laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>>        On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Norbert Hartl
>>        <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>        <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>>
>>
>>            On 19.01.2011, at 14:30, laurent laffont wrote:
>>
>>                On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Norbert Hartl
>>            <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>            <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>>
>>                    It depends where you look at.
>>            ConfigurationOfXMLSupport exists
>>                    in MetacelloRepository as well as in XMLSupport. The
>>            latter
>>                    one being the official one, the former one being very
>>                    outdated. My sugesstion would be to remove
>>                    ConfigurationOfXMLSupport from MetacelloRepository
>>            to lower
>>                    the confusion.
>>
>>
>>                Personnally I always look in MetacelloRepository, this
>>            should be
>>                the reference IMHO.
>>
>>            Laurent,
>>
>>            I think it is up to the maintainers where to put those
>>        files. And in
>>            the XMLSupport case the decision was made deliberately not
>>        to put it
>>            in MetacelloRepository but in XMLSupport. The only thing I
>>        want to
>>            avoid is having multiple different files floating around
>>        that are
>>            edited in an inconsistent way.
>>
>>
>>        I thought that all ConfigurationOfXXX working for Pharo should
>>        be put in
>>        MetacelloRepository so we have a central place to look at.
>>
>>        But I may be wrong.  Mariano ? Dale ?
>>
>>        Laurent
>>
>>
>>            Norbert
>>
>>
>>                    Norbert
>>
>>                    On 19.01.2011, at 13:18, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>             > The last version 1.1.6 is marked as #release.
>>             >
>>             > Cheers,
>>             > Doru
>>             >
>>             >
>>             > On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:26, laurent laffont wrote:
>>             >
>>             >> I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because
>>                    blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
>>             >>
>>             >> Laurent
>>             >>
>>             >> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Marcus Denker
>>            <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>            <mailto:[hidden email]
>>            <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>>             >>
>>             >> On Jan 19, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>             >>
>>             >>> Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend
>>                    on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in
>>            PharoDev. I
>>                    would also strongly support the idea of removing
>>            XMLSupport
>>                    from PharoDev.
>>             >>>
>>             >>
>>             >> What would be important: we need the latest version in
>>                    Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version
>>            where the
>>                    tests are green?
>>             >> (not of XML, but in general)
>>             >>
>>             >>      Marcus
>>             >>
>>             >>> Cheers,
>>             >>> Doru
>>             >>>
>>             >>>
>>             >>> On 19 Jan 2011, at 11:32, Fabrizio Perin wrote:
>>             >>>
>>             >>>> Hi,
>>             >>>>
>>             >>>> I have a problem with the XMLSupport version from
>>            Pharo 1.2.
>>             >>>>
>>             >>>> The problem is that I need to work with one of the last
>>                    version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is
>>            loaded an
>>                    old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan
>>            2010). I
>>                    did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using
>>                    ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this
>>            operation
>>                    impossible.
>>             >>>> So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last)
>>                    version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2
>>            should not
>>                    load XMLSupport at all.
>>             >>>>
>>             >>>> I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an
>>                    old version, also considering that the last
>>            XMLSupport has
>>                    nice and useful features like the
>>            XMLPluggableElementFactory.
>>             >>>>
>>             >>>> By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by
>>                    default you let people free to use the version that
>>            they like.
>>             >>>>
>>             >>>> Thanks,
>>             >>>>
>>             >>>> Fabrizio
>>             >>>>
>>             >>>
>>             >>> --
>>             >>> www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>>            <http://www.tudorgirba.com/>
>>
>>             >>>
>>             >>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."
>>             >>>
>>             >>>
>>             >>>
>>             >>>
>>             >>
>>             >> --
>>             >> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
>>            <http://www.marcusdenker.de/>
>>             >> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>>             >>
>>             >>
>>             >>
>>             >
>>             > --
>>             > www.tudorgirba.com <http://www.tudorgirba.com>
>>            <http://www.tudorgirba.com/>
>>
>>             >
>>             > "If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
>>             > you will end up with a messy haircut."
>>             >
>>             >
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba
In reply to this post by Alexandre Bergel
+1

Doru

On 19 Jan 2011, at 20:32, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> +1
>
> On 19 Jan 2011, at 16:28, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> We do not want our distributions of code to rely on external servers.
>> So the act of publishing should means that this is available and stored in a distribution and that we
>> can always access/burn it on cd and go on the moon without internet and load the configuration.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>
>
> --
> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont
In reply to this post by Tudor Girba
I've copied latest ConfigurationOfXMLSupport in MetacelloRepository.

ConfigurationOfPharo-LaurentLaffont.121

XMLSupport:
- update to release 1.1.6
- add project 'XMLSupport Tests' in group 'Dev Tools Tests'

All 361 tests green.

Laurent Laffont

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
The last version 1.1.6 is marked as #release.

Cheers,
Doru

On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:26, laurent laffont wrote:

> I put ConfigurationOfXMLSupport version 1.0 because blessing was #release. But I agree to change.
>
> Laurent
>
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Jan 19, 2011, at 11:43 AM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Indeed, this is a problem for Moose in general. We depend on XMLSupport, but now we cannot update it in PharoDev. I would also strongly support the idea of removing XMLSupport from PharoDev.
>>
>
> What would be important: we need the latest version in Pharo 1.2... else how can we ever have a version where the tests are green?
> (not of XML, but in general)
>
>       Marcus
>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>> On 19 Jan 2011, at 11:32, Fabrizio Perin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with the XMLSupport version from Pharo 1.2.
>>>
>>> The problem is that I need to work with one of the last version of XMLSupport but in the pharo image 1.2 is loaded an old version of XMLSupport (I mean a version from Jan 2010). I did try to load a newer version of XMLSupport using ConfigurationOfXMLSupport but some errors make this operation impossible.
>>> So either Pharo-dev 1.2 load a newer (possibly the last) version of XMLSupport by default or Pharo-dev 1.2 should not load XMLSupport at all.
>>>
>>> I think that doesn't make sense to use by default such an old version, also considering that the last XMLSupport has nice and useful features like the XMLPluggableElementFactory.
>>>
>>> By avoiding to load XMLSupport in Pharo-dev 1.2 by default you let people free to use the version that they like.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Fabrizio
>>>
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "We cannot reach the flow of things unless we let go."
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
> INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.
>
>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"If you interrupt the barber while he is cutting your hair,
you will end up with a messy haircut."