About a better filedialog

12

About a better filedialog

ducasse
Hi guys

I did a pass (ported to P7, tonel, some little fixes) on the file-dialog developed by Peter Uhnak and I think that it would be good to propose it by default in the image.
what do you think?

        https://github.com/Ducasse/file-dialog

I would also like that the filedialog remembers the last list of visited directory. (I will see if I can add this).
When Spec2 is out I would like to port it to Spec2.

Does anybody want to help? Because it would be super nice and I’m full with cleaning textEditor and pluggableTextMorph.

Re: About a better filedialog

ducasse
What is cool is that you can add bookmarks :)
I did it to list the place where I store all my iceberg repo :)

On 18 Mar 2019, at 20:31, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys

I did a pass (ported to P7, tonel, some little fixes) on the file-dialog developed by Peter Uhnak and I think that it would be good to propose it by default in the image.
what do you think?

https://github.com/Ducasse/file-dialog

I would also like that the filedialog remembers the last list of visited directory. (I will see if I can add this).
When Spec2 is out I would like to port it to Spec2.

Does anybody want to help? Because it would be super nice and I’m full with cleaning textEditor and pluggableTextMorph.

Re: About a better filedialog

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
I do not have time to personally work on this. But yes, having a better file dialog would be fantastic

Alexandre

> On Mar 18, 2019, at 4:31 PM, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi guys
>
> I did a pass (ported to P7, tonel, some little fixes) on the file-dialog developed by Peter Uhnak and I think that it would be good to propose it by default in the image.
> what do you think?
>
> https://github.com/Ducasse/file-dialog
>
> I would also like that the filedialog remembers the last list of visited directory. (I will see if I can add this).
> When Spec2 is out I would like to port it to Spec2.
>
> Does anybody want to help? Because it would be super nice and I’m full with cleaning textEditor and pluggableTextMorph.
>
> Stef

Re: About a better filedialog

ducasse
Alex

Have a look at the one I propose and play with it.
Let me know what you think.

Stef

Re: About a better filedialog

Peter Uhnak
Thanks Stef!

The build is failing for Pharo 6.1 for some reason (I can't reproduce it locally), but I can look at that during the weekend...

Peter

From: Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]>
Date: 18 March 2019 at 21:20:35 CET
To: Pharo Development List <[hidden email]>

I do not have time to personally work on this. But yes, having a better file dialog would be fantastic

Alexandre

On Mar 18, 2019, at 4:31 PM, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys

I did a pass (ported to P7, tonel, some little fixes) on the file-dialog developed by Peter Uhnak and I think that it would be good to propose it by default in the image.
what do you think?

https://github.com/Ducasse/file-dialog

I would also like that the filedialog remembers the last list of visited directory. (I will see if I can add this).
When Spec2 is out I would like to port it to Spec2.

Does anybody want to help? Because it would be super nice and I’m full with cleaning textEditor and pluggableTextMorph.

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: About a better filedialog

ducasse
and there are tests.
We should check the UIManager dependency.
For now I just make it works in P7

Stef

On 19 Mar 2019, at 09:50, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

YES!

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 11:13 PM ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes I had to rename ComposableModel into ComposablePresenter so this is probably that

On 18 Mar 2019, at 23:09, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Stef!

The build is failing for Pharo 6.1 for some reason (I can't reproduce it locally), but I can look at that during the weekend...

Peter

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 9:23 PM ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alex

Have a look at the one I propose and play with it.
Let me know what you think.

Stef

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: About a better filedialog

HilaireFernandes
For DrGeo, when loading a sketch from an arbitrary location,  I use the
preview feature of the polymorph File Dialog. I don't see it in this
simple replacement of File Dialog.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: About a better filedialog

Peter Uhnak
Preview is indeed not supported. My original idea was to show a regular GTInspector view on the file, but I never got around to implementing it.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 8:36 PM Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
For DrGeo, when loading a sketch from an arbitrary location,  I use the
preview feature of the polymorph File Dialog. I don't see it in this
simple replacement of File Dialog.

Hilaire

Le 18/03/2019 à 20:31, ducasse a écrit :
> what do you think?
>
>       https://github.com/Ducasse/file-dialog

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: About a better filedialog

HilaireFernandes
Something as simple as in the current filedialog will be far than
enough: an option to toggle a preview display. It is then the
responsibility of the user to code the preview view.

I am afraid an inspector view will look too hackish for a user like a
teacher or a kid.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: About a better filedialog

ducasse

> On 19 Mar 2019, at 20:35, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For DrGeo, when loading a sketch from an arbitrary location,  I use the
> preview feature of the polymorph File Dialog. I don't see it in this
> simple replacement of File Dialog.

Can you send a snippet so that I can see what it means because I do not understand
exactly how this is related to the fileDialog.

Stef

> Hilaire
>
> Le 18/03/2019 à 20:31, ducasse a écrit :
>> what do you think?
>>
>> https://github.com/Ducasse/file-dialog
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: About a better filedialog

HilaireFernandes
See this filedialog screenshot.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Choisir un fichier Dr. Geo.png (152K) Download Attachment

Re: About a better filedialog

ducasse
Ok I see and how the preview is done?
You register some objects to the fileDialog?
Because I get this one.

So may be we are talking about a different one.

On 20 Mar 2019, at 18:16, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

See this filedialog screenshot.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

<Choisir un fichier Dr. Geo.png>

Re: About a better filedialog

HilaireFernandes
Ah, may be we are not talking about the same tool. I am talking about
the FileDialogWindow, I think part of the Gary's Polymorph. And you
about FileList according to your screenshot.

Is Peter's FileDialog intend is to replace FileList? Or FileDialogWindow?

Hilaire

Le 20/03/2019 à 19:13, ducasse a écrit :
> Ok I see and how the preview is done?
> You register some objects to the fileDialog?
> Because I get this one.
>
> So may be we are talking about a different one.

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: About a better filedialog

ducasse

> On 20 Mar 2019, at 19:29, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ah, may be we are not talking about the same tool. I am talking about
> the FileDialogWindow, I think part of the Gary's Polymorph. And you
> about FileList according to your screenshot.
>
> Is Peter's FileDialog intend is to replace FileList? Or FileDialogWindow?

I was thinking the FileList.
Now I will look at the FileDialogWindow :)

Stef

> Hilaire
>

> Le 20/03/2019 à 19:13, ducasse a écrit :
>> Ok I see and how the preview is done?
>> You register some objects to the fileDialog?
>> Because I get this one.
>>
>> So may be we are talking about a different one.
>>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: About a better filedialog

ducasse
I checked and they are not related.
And we can keep for now the DileDialogWindow.

Stef

> On 20 Mar 2019, at 20:09, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 20 Mar 2019, at 19:29, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ah, may be we are not talking about the same tool. I am talking about
>> the FileDialogWindow, I think part of the Gary's Polymorph. And you
>> about FileList according to your screenshot.
>>
>> Is Peter's FileDialog intend is to replace FileList? Or FileDialogWindow?
>
> I was thinking the FileList.
> Now I will look at the FileDialogWindow :)
>
> Stef
>>
>> Hilaire
>>

>> Le 20/03/2019 à 19:13, ducasse a écrit :
>>> Ok I see and how the preview is done?
>>> You register some objects to the fileDialog?
>>> Because I get this one.
>>>
>>> So may be we are talking about a different one.
>>>
>> --
>> Dr. Geo
>> http://drgeo.eu

Re: About a better filedialog

EstebanLM
Hi,

While a good FileDialog may have a preview… I think the best thing is that you can take the component and reuse it, adding the behaviour you want.
At least, that would be the purpose of Spec, isn’t?

So… you could not wait until someone add a preview and you could add the preview you like it :)

Esteban

Ps: Of course, I know that means time… and I know a new component has to provide the same functionalities as the older one at least. I was just pointing it :)

> On 20 Mar 2019, at 20:11, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I checked and they are not related.
> And we can keep for now the DileDialogWindow.
>
> Stef
>
>> On 20 Mar 2019, at 20:09, ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> On 20 Mar 2019, at 19:29, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ah, may be we are not talking about the same tool. I am talking about
>>> the FileDialogWindow, I think part of the Gary's Polymorph. And you
>>> about FileList according to your screenshot.
>>>
>>> Is Peter's FileDialog intend is to replace FileList? Or FileDialogWindow?
>>
>> I was thinking the FileList.
>> Now I will look at the FileDialogWindow :)
>>
>> Stef
>>>
>>> Hilaire

>>> --
>>> Dr. Geo
>>> http://drgeo.eu

Re: About a better filedialog

HilaireFernandes
Peter's FileDialog looks so much better than FileList :)

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

12