About adding a Unicode handling porting layer

12

Re: About adding a Unicode handling porting layer

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Juan,

Good to see you writing how to add Unicode support to Cuis.

Yes, we want to keep things elegant and easy to understand. In fact
the code for the current implementation (Cuis 4.1) of Character /
String is pleasant to read. It is well worked out and I have the
impression that it has more features than Squeak or Pharo. For example
it has functions for word lists and spell checking.

At the moment I think we should go too quickly for conclusions. What
we need is maybe a few hooks in Cuis to help add Unicode support to
have  in external libraries.

Maybe even competing implementations so that we can compare and decide
what is best.

The current implementation of Character and String are well worked
out. I'd like to keep the code as is as much as possible.

--Hannes

On 2/7/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Folks!
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> On 2/6/2013 10:07 PM, Ken Dickey wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:21:56 +0000
>> "H. Hirzel"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> The reason why it was not ported by Juan is that he wanted to focus on
>>> Morphic and leave out some complex subsystems like Unicode support,
>>> Monticello and others.
>> I'd just like echo these sentiments. I think moving Morphic forward is the
>> highest value.
>>
>> IMHO, anything we can do to help and/or not hinder Juan is goodness.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -KenD

>> -----
>> Se certifico que el correo no contiene virus.
>> Comprobada por AVG - www.avg.es
>> Version: 2013.0.2897 / Base de datos de virus: 2639/6086 - Fecha de la
>> version: 06/02/2013

12