About "external" pharo code

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I would like to have a discussion with you.
What do we do with the code like the excellent PlotMorph that do not
have its own
package.

Do we create a package for it?
Do we create a PharoAddOnsOrphans?
Ideally I would like that people can maintain improve such packages
as well as the ones we may remove (ledMorph and others).

Re: About "external" pharo code

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, an external package in a separate SqueakSource repository.
I would not call it "orphans" as it should contain nice demos of
Morphic to learn from (rather than the stuff we don't care about. This
one can be deleted right away). Maybe PharoMorphicExamples or
PharoMorphicExtras.

By extracting these from the image we also simplify the process of
evolving them as changes don't have to be integrated in the image.

Adrian

On May 21, 2009, at 10:38 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I would like to have a discussion with you.
> What do we do with the code like the excellent PlotMorph that do not
> have its own
> package.
>
> Do we create a package for it?
> Do we create a PharoAddOnsOrphans?
> Ideally I would like that people can maintain improve such packages
> as well as the ones we may remove (ledMorph and others).
>
> Stef

Re: About "external" pharo code

Mariano Martinez Peck
For me, the difficult thing is to differentiate between a Pharo addon  or a project. What is a Pharo addon or what is a project? Most of this, no matter what they are, have their own squeaksource repository.

Suppose OCompletion will be in Pharo image, is an addon or a project?

In summary, it is not clear for me what should be in that package you are talking about and what is just a package that works on pharo.

Best,

Mariano

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, an external package in a separate SqueakSource repository.
I would not call it "orphans" as it should contain nice demos of
Morphic to learn from (rather than the stuff we don't care about. This
one can be deleted right away). Maybe PharoMorphicExamples or
PharoMorphicExtras.

By extracting these from the image we also simplify the process of
evolving them as changes don't have to be integrated in the image.

Adrian

On May 21, 2009, at 10:38 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I would like to have a discussion with you.
> What do we do with the code like the excellent PlotMorph that do not
> have its own
> package.
>
> Do we create a package for it?
> Do we create a PharoAddOnsOrphans?
> Ideally I would like that people can maintain improve such packages
> as well as the ones we may remove (ledMorph and others).
>
> Stef

Re: About "external" pharo code

Adrian Lienhard
In this package would go stuff like the Morph classes you find in the
class categories MorphicExtras-* in the current Pharo-core image
(e.g., StarMorph).

Projects like OCompletion are not related to this.

Adrian

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 7:16 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
In this package would go stuff like the Morph classes you find in the
class categories MorphicExtras-* in the current Pharo-core image
(e.g., StarMorph).

But is only Morphic related ? If so, we should use another name like PharoMorphicAddOns. If not, any other example ?

Thanks!

Mariano