About flow diagrams

Ian Jiang
Hello list,

I am just wondering if smalltalk has some parcels to make it easier to draw a flow diagram?
Such as allowing to programmically generate a work flow diagram?

--
Best Regards,

Ian Jiang

Re: About flow diagrams

Bergel, Alexandre
Hi Ian,

> I am just wondering if smalltalk has some parcels to make it easier to draw a flow diagram?
> Such as allowing to programmically generate a work flow diagram?

You may want to have a look at Mondrian. It is available on VW and other platforms.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: About flow diagrams

Terry Raymond

Ian

There are two packages for drawing diagrams, HotDraw and GFST.

If you open the Parcel Manager you will find both of them in the

Graphics and UI category.

Terry

Terry Raymond
Crafted Smalltalk
80 Lazywood Ln.
Tiverton, RI  02878
(401) 624-4517      [hidden email]
<http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com>

Re: About flow diagrams

Claus Kick
By the way, are there third party frameworks which one could use for drawing diagrams?
Ideally, I would be looking for something which accepts XML and outputs some graphs.
The language the framework is written is not of importance.

--
Claus Kick

"Wenn Sie mich suchen: Ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf.
Genauer gesagt auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik.
Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst, nicht weit weg von Irrwitz und Idiotie."

"If you are looking for me: I am somewhere near to lunacy.
More clearly, on the narrow path between lunacy and panic.
Right around the corner of  fear of death,
not far away from idiocy and insanity."

---------------------

Re: About flow diagrams

Joachim Geidel
Am 18.07.10 21:12 schrieb Claus Kick:
> By the way, are there third party frameworks which one could use for drawing
> diagrams?
> Ideally, I would be looking for something which accepts XML and outputs some
> graphs.
> The language the framework is written is not of importance.

Have a look at Graphviz: http://www.graphviz.org/

HTH,
Joachim Geidel

Re: About flow diagrams

Claus Kick
Joachim Geidel schrieb:

> Am 18.07.10 21:12 schrieb Claus Kick:
>> By the way, are there third party frameworks which one could use for drawing
>> diagrams?
>> Ideally, I would be looking for something which accepts XML and outputs some
>> graphs.
>> The language the framework is written is not of importance.
>
> Have a look at Graphviz: http://www.graphviz.org/
>
> HTH,
> Joachim Geidel

That does look great! Thanks for bringing that up!

Re: About flow diagrams

Maarten Mostert-2
Personnaly I would consider it much more fun to just write it in Cairo.
After all what is a flow diagram, some mvc model,fully scalable views and drawings, rectangles, text lines and good
export (pdf, svg, png).
So basically everything the VW - Cairo package is good at.

@+Maarten,

Am 21.07.10 08:39 schrieb Maarten MOSTERT:
> Personnaly I would consider it much more fun to just write it in Cairo.
> After all what is a flow diagram, some mvc model,fully scalable views and
> drawings, rectangles, text lines and good
> export (pdf, svg, png).
> So basically everything the VW - Cairo package is good at.

I find any sentence beginning with "It is only..." suspicious in the context
of software development. Claus hasn't told us much about the goals,
requirements and constraints of his project. Also, don't forget graph layout
algorithms in your list. Those aren't trivial at all - just look at the
results produced by your average UML tool to see what I mean. If I were
Claus' employer/customer and had to decide between "let me invent the wheel
again because it's fun" and "can be done with existing high quality
components supported by an open source community", I wouldn't think twice
about where to spend my money.

Joachim Geidel

Re: About flow diagrams

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
I agree. It's almost like saying, web apps are easy, you've got HTML,
CSS and JavaScript, you can bake it from scratch, who needs Seaside and
RoR. We've all seen plenty of awful graphs, so it can't be all about
anti-aliasing et al.

-Boris

--
DeepCove Labs Ltd.
+1 (604) 689-0322

PacNet Services (Europe) Ltd.
+353 (0)61 714-360
Shannon Airport House, SFZ
County Clare, Ireland
http://tinyurl.com/y952amr

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header.
Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and
confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.

Am 21.07.10 08:39 schrieb Maarten MOSTERT:
> Personnaly I would consider it much more fun to just write it in
Cairo.
> After all what is a flow diagram, some mvc model,fully scalable views
> and drawings, rectangles, text lines and good export (pdf, svg, png).
> So basically everything the VW - Cairo package is good at.

I find any sentence beginning with "It is only..." suspicious in the
context of software development. Claus hasn't told us much about the
goals, requirements and constraints of his project. Also, don't forget
graph layout algorithms in your list. Those aren't trivial at all - just
look at the results produced by your average UML tool to see what I
mean. If I were Claus' employer/customer and had to decide between "let
me invent the wheel again because it's fun" and "can be done with
existing high quality components supported by an open source community",
I wouldn't think twice about where to spend my money.

Joachim Geidel

Re: About flow diagrams

Maarten Mostert-2
I don't disagree with that, but please notice that I started my comments with <
>.
There are many things out there but not a lot are fexible enough to do <> what I (personaly) want.

> Message du 21/07/10 09:52
> De : "Joachim Geidel"
> A : [hidden email]
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: [vwnc] About flow diagrams
>

> Am 21.07.10 08:39 schrieb Maarten MOSTERT:
> > Personnaly I would consider it much more fun to just write it in Cairo.
> > After all what is a flow diagram, some mvc model,fully scalable views and
> > drawings, rectangles, text lines and good
> > export (pdf, svg, png).
> > So basically everything the VW - Cairo package is good at.
>
> I find any sentence beginning with "It is only..." suspicious in the context
> of software development. Claus hasn't told us much about the goals,
> requirements and constraints of his project. Also, don't forget graph layout
> algorithms in your list. Those aren't trivial at all - just look at the
> results produced by your average UML tool to see what I mean. If I were
> Claus' employer/customer and had to decide between "let me invent the wheel
> again because it's fun" and "can be done with existing high quality
> components supported by an open source community", I wouldn't think twice
> about where to spend my money.
>
> Joachim Geidel

Re: About flow diagrams

Maarten Mostert-2
I don't disagree with that, but please notice that I started my comments with "Personaly".
There are many things out there but not a lot are fexible enough to do "Exactly" what I (personaly) want.

Regards,

@+Maarten,