About fluidSynth

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I aw a tweet on fluidSynth on Pharo2.0 and I **want** a news for the Pharo web site.
So what is FluidSynth :)
I want more than http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/ :)
Stef

Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 10.58.49 PM.pdf (251K) Download Attachment

Re: About fluidSynth

Ben Coman
Only what I found googling....
http://web1.twitpic.com/bpbw2i
http://code.google.com/p/khoros/
http://www.squeaksource.com/Khoros

Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I aw a tweet on fluidSynth on Pharo2.0 and I **want** a news for the Pharo web site.
> So what is FluidSynth :)
> I want more than http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/ :)
> Stef

Re: About fluidSynth

SergeStinckwich
Maybe you should ask the author : Nishihara Satoshi ([hidden email]).
Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: About fluidSynth

Stéphane Ducasse
done I did it.

On Jan 13, 2013, at 9:47 AM, Serge Stinckwich wrote:

> Maybe you should ask the author : Nishihara Satoshi ([hidden email]).
> Regards,
>
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I aw a tweet on fluidSynth on Pharo2.0 and I **want** a news for the Pharo web site.
>> So what is FluidSynth :)
>> I want more than http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/ :)
>> Stef
>>

> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: About fluidSynth

NISHIHARA Satoshi-2
Dear Stéphane Ducasse san, and Pharo guys all.

thank you for interesting "FluidSynth goes to Pharo 2.0." work in
progress. it is still unfinished... orz

"description begin"
'FluidSynth goes to Pharo 2.0.' packages are plugin for FluidSynth and
GUI and others.
FluidSynth is a real-time software synthesizer based on the SoundFont
2 specifications.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/

'FluidSynth goes to Pharo 2.0.' packages will be a sub-package of the
Khoros package handling audio and midi.
requires other MIDI packages (events, files, objects, playing process, etc) *1.
*1: FluidSynth has own midi file player. but this packages don't use it.
"description end"

digressing:
first, Squeak has a useful SimpleMIDIPort, but we can't use any
software synthesizer with/through it. There is no CoreMIDI. so i made
a PortMidiPlugin(++) for Squeak (OSX). after it, "There's Something
About Pharo 2.0".
thereafter i wanted a handy midiport without any external software
synthesizer, and found FluidSynth.

i only wanted handy and 'simple' midiport for playback or testing, but
FluidSynth profound. for example, it supports  microtonal. we can use
just intonation, meantone temperament, or other alternative tunings...

... this package became huge across expectation. 46 classes (4 traits)
have instance methods 832, class method 327 (selectors counting). but
the simplest use requires one FluidSynthInterface class only. of
course fluidsynth library and FluidSynthPlugin must be placed for VM.

widgets:
well, there is no special widgets. VolumeKnobMorph is a subclass of
PluggableSliderMorph simply. morph of VU meter is a subclass of
AlignmentMorph with custom drawOn:, drived by a model descendant of
ComposableModel.

after all or as an interim report, it may be that i'll commit to
public code-repository, such as umezawa san's SqueakSourceJ
(http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/), ss3, sh, or so.

PortMidiPlugin and FluidSynthPlugin have no platform sources.
(PortMidiPlugin++ is for OSX only)

-p.s.-

will Pharo 2.0 official come with new clean changes?
Pharo-20468.image: 29.1 MB
Pharo-20468.changes: 31.1 MB

2013/1/13 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Dear Nishihara Satoshi
>
> I saw a tweet on fluidsynth and it that it is running on Pharo. It looks really nice.
> We would like to have a a news on it on the pharo web site.
>
> Could you provide a little text?
>
> BTW if you are creating widget that you think that missing in Pharo you can offer them to Pharo
> under MIT and we will maintain them and enhance them when we are building the new UI builder.
> Stef
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: [Pharo-project] About fluidSynth
>> Date: January 12, 2013 11:00:26 PM GMT+01:00
>> To: Pharo Development <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I aw a tweet on fluidSynth on Pharo2.0 and I **want** a news for the Pharo web site.
>> So what is FluidSynth :)
>> I want more than http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/ :)
>> Stef

"NISHIHARA Satoshi"
[:goonsh :nsh | ^ nishis perform: goonsh with: nsh]

Re: About fluidSynth

Stéphane Ducasse
> Dear Stéphane Ducasse san, and Pharo guys all.
>
> thank you for interesting "FluidSynth goes to Pharo 2.0." work in
> progress. it is still unfinished… orz

keep us posted! This sounds like an exciting project.

> "description begin"
> 'FluidSynth goes to Pharo 2.0.' packages are plugin for FluidSynth and
> GUI and others.
> FluidSynth is a real-time software synthesizer based on the SoundFont
> 2 specifications.
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/
>
> 'FluidSynth goes to Pharo 2.0.' packages will be a sub-package of the
> Khoros package handling audio and midi.
> requires other MIDI packages (events, files, objects, playing process, etc) *1.
> *1: FluidSynth has own midi file player. but this packages don't use it.
> "description end"
>
> digressing:
> first, Squeak has a useful SimpleMIDIPort, but we can't use any
> software synthesizer with/through it. There is no CoreMIDI. so i made
> a PortMidiPlugin(++) for Squeak (OSX). after it, "There's Something
> About Pharo 2.0".
> thereafter i wanted a handy midiport without any external software
> synthesizer, and found FluidSynth.

If you need help for having a build server, we will have a new jenkins server :)

> i only wanted handy and 'simple' midiport for playback or testing, but
> FluidSynth profound. for example, it supports  microtonal. we can use
> just intonation, meantone temperament, or other alternative tunings...
>
> ... this package became huge across expectation. 46 classes (4 traits)
> have instance methods 832, class method 327 (selectors counting). but
> the simplest use requires one FluidSynthInterface class only. of
> course fluidsynth library and FluidSynthPlugin must be placed for VM.

:)

> widgets:
> well, there is no special widgets. VolumeKnobMorph is a subclass of
> PluggableSliderMorph simply. morph of VU meter is a subclass of
> AlignmentMorph with custom drawOn:, drived by a model descendant of
> ComposableModel.

Still if you want to propose some simple subclasses to improve the ones in Pharo
feel free.

> after all or as an interim report, it may be that i'll commit to
> public code-repository, such as umezawa san's SqueakSourceJ
> (http://squeaksource.blueplane.jp/), ss3, sh, or so.

Ok just pay attention that GPL is not a smalltalk friendly license.

> PortMidiPlugin and FluidSynthPlugin have no platform sources.
> (PortMidiPlugin++ is for OSX only)
>

> -p.s.-
>
> will Pharo 2.0 official come with new clean changes?
> Pharo-20468.image: 29.1 MB
> Pharo-20468.changes: 31.1 MB

We added a lot like new AST/Refactoring engine, metacello, so 2.0 will be probably a bit bigger than what we would like.
What we need is
        - to manage pharo fully with metacello
        - get hazelnuts as the core
        Plus
        - a fast deployment and loading mechanism (Tanker/fuel)

and we could really get a small kernel but with all the packages around in good shape.
Right now we have problems to maintain all the packages that we want and keep them outside the image.

Stef