About isComplex

Nicolas Cellier
The message is problematic for me.
I said that a long time ago, when I did not have the power to change things http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=2689
Now I may change things, here is what I think:

1) It causes compatibility nightmares
- isComplex exists in Pharo2.0
- has been removed from Pharo 3.0

2) It is way too broadband semantically, many things are complex, so it may cause false polymorphism at best and bugs at worse
- example a) parse nodes can currently be isComplex - case of false polymorphism
- example b) imagine that I have a complex matrix. Will it answer true to isComplex? I'd say yes...
 but then, the implementation of Complex>>+ expects that isComplex means isComplexNumber, not isComplexSomething...

So I suggest to rename it to isComplexNumber as it means to be.

I did it in http://www.squeaksource.com/Complex and it would be good to converge on such basics.

Agree?

Re: About isComplex

werner kassens-2
isComplex is simpler to type but apart from that i have to agree
werner

So I suggest to rename it to isComplexNumber as it means to be.

I did it in <a href="http://www.squeaksource.com/Complex" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.squeaksource.com%2FComplex\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNElXkZtwRN2F1ksc3wz1SErgFYPEg';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.squeaksource.com%2FComplex\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNElXkZtwRN2F1ksc3wz1SErgFYPEg';return true;">http://www.squeaksource.com/Complex and it would be good to converge on such basics.

Agree?