About launching tools with Spotter

stepharo
Doru

how can I launch a MC browser with Spotter.
How can I access menu items from the search (because some I do not see
them).

I mean when I type Monticello..... it does not work well
May be having some shortcut
         MC
         or the key binding of the menu

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

EstebanLM
you have to type "monticello b”… which is of course not good :)

application matches should be shown immediately, for monticello the “m” should be enough if we want people to use them…. otherwise, it will be a lot easier to fall back to the world menu.

Esteban

> On 10 Dec 2014, at 16:17, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Doru
>
> how can I launch a MC browser with Spotter.
> How can I access menu items from the search (because some I do not see them).
>
> I mean when I type Monticello..... it does not work well
> May be having some shortcut
>        MC
>        or the key binding of the menu
>

> Stef

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

Aliaksei Syrel

Hi,

Such search behaviour needs more complicated inner logic and could make building of custom search processors expensive. But you are right, spotter needs some more sophisticated filtering logic.

Cheers,
Alex

On Dec 10, 2014 4:22 PM, "Esteban Lorenzano" <[hidden email]> wrote:
you have to type "monticello b”… which is of course not good :)

application matches should be shown immediately, for monticello the “m” should be enough if we want people to use them…. otherwise, it will be a lot easier to fall back to the world menu.

Esteban

> On 10 Dec 2014, at 16:17, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Doru
>
> how can I launch a MC browser with Spotter.
> How can I access menu items from the search (because some I do not see them).
>
> I mean when I type Monticello..... it does not work well
> May be having some shortcut
>        MC
>        or the key binding of the menu
>

> Stef

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

Tudor Girba-2

Actually, the thing is that I would search for 'o b' as a shortcut :). For the system browser I search for 'm b'.

But, indeed, it seems that people prefer to have the applications on top and the rest of the things below. So, a quick fix for this problem is to make the Menu category come before the classes.

Also, if you want to restrict the search to only a category, you can select an item in that category and press Cmd+Shift+RightArrow.

Do any of these make sense for you?

In the future, we will also try to build a more sophisticated mechanism to get to a category faster.

Cheers,
Doru

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Doru

how can I launch a MC browser with Spotter.
How can I access menu items from the search (because some I do not see them).

I mean when I type Monticello..... it does not work well
May be having some shortcut
        MC
        or the key binding of the menu

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

Guillermo Polito
Hi!

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Actually, the thing is that I would search for 'o b' as a shortcut :). For the system browser I search for 'm b'.

Well... even in the operating system, I search by name mostly. When I want chrome I type "chro". I do not type "web browser google".
So if I want monticello browser, I'd expect that typing "monti" would do the thing ;)

But, indeed, it seems that people prefer to have the applications on top and the rest of the things below. So, a quick fix for this problem is to make the Menu category come before the classes.

Oh yes please! I tried the spotter today and I had to scroll to the bottom to have a workspace.

Also, if you want to restrict the search to only a category, you can select an item in that category and press Cmd+Shift+RightArrow.

Do any of these make sense for you?

In the future, we will also try to build a more sophisticated mechanism to get to a category faster.

Cheers,
Doru

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Doru

how can I launch a MC browser with Spotter.
How can I access menu items from the search (because some I do not see them).

I mean when I type Monticello..... it does not work well
May be having some shortcut
        MC
        or the key binding of the menu

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

Damien Cassou
On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But, indeed, it seems that people prefer to have the applications on top and
> the rest of the things below. So, a quick fix for this problem is to make
> the Menu category come before the classes.

but if you open a System Browser, the next step is to search for
something in the System Browser. Why would you do that if you can use
Spotter to directly search for the thing you want?

Same thing for Monticello: spotter makes it apparently easy to commit
directly from spotter. So, the main activity is to search for a
package in spotter, not for Monticello.

So, it looks like packages, classes and methods should come  before
applications :-)

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 10 Dec 2014, at 17:52, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> But, indeed, it seems that people prefer to have the applications on top and
>> the rest of the things below. So, a quick fix for this problem is to make
>> the Menu category come before the classes.
>

> but if you open a System Browser, the next step is to search for
> something in the System Browser. Why would you do that if you can use
> Spotter to directly search for the thing you want?
>
> Same thing for Monticello: spotter makes it apparently easy to commit
> directly from spotter. So, the main activity is to search for a
> package in spotter, not for Monticello.
>
> So, it looks like packages, classes and methods should come  before
> applications :-)

Yes! +1

> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

EstebanLM
well, I vote the contrary: I want “apps” to show first :P
remember that is not just browsers what we open….

Esteban

> On 10 Dec 2014, at 19:01, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 10 Dec 2014, at 17:52, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> But, indeed, it seems that people prefer to have the applications on top and
>>> the rest of the things below. So, a quick fix for this problem is to make
>>> the Menu category come before the classes.
>>

>> but if you open a System Browser, the next step is to search for
>> something in the System Browser. Why would you do that if you can use
>> Spotter to directly search for the thing you want?
>>
>> Same thing for Monticello: spotter makes it apparently easy to commit
>> directly from spotter. So, the main activity is to search for a
>> package in spotter, not for Monticello.
>>
>> So, it looks like packages, classes and methods should come  before
>> applications :-)
>
> Yes! +1
>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm."
>> Winston Churchill

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

Uko2
I think this should be configurable :)

> On 10 Dec 2014, at 19:13, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> well, I vote the contrary: I want “apps” to show first :P
> remember that is not just browsers what we open….
>
> Esteban
>
>> On 10 Dec 2014, at 19:01, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> but if you open a System Browser, the next step is to search for
>>> something in the System Browser. Why would you do that if you can use
>>> Spotter to directly search for the thing you want?
>>>
>>> Same thing for Monticello: spotter makes it apparently easy to commit
>>> directly from spotter. So, the main activity is to search for a
>>> package in spotter, not for Monticello.
>>>
>>> So, it looks like packages, classes and methods should come  before
>>> applications :-)
>>
>> Yes! +1
>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>>> losing enthusiasm."
>>> Winston Churchill

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

Guillermo Polito
I'm with Esteban.

Type "Work" or "Test" looking for the Workspace or  the Test Runner. They are far too down...

Try typing "process" looking Process browser, or "Configuration" for the configuration browser.

Those are things that should be accessible, by they are hidden because their names collide with a lot of classes and packages...

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think this should be configurable :)

> On 10 Dec 2014, at 19:13, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> well, I vote the contrary: I want “apps” to show first :P
> remember that is not just browsers what we open….
>
> Esteban
>
>> On 10 Dec 2014, at 19:01, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> but if you open a System Browser, the next step is to search for
>>> something in the System Browser. Why would you do that if you can use
>>> Spotter to directly search for the thing you want?
>>>
>>> Same thing for Monticello: spotter makes it apparently easy to commit
>>> directly from spotter. So, the main activity is to search for a
>>> package in spotter, not for Monticello.
>>>
>>> So, it looks like packages, classes and methods should come  before
>>> applications :-)
>>
>> Yes! +1
>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>>> losing enthusiasm."
>>> Winston Churchill

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

Guillermo Polito
but* they are hidden.

Actually, the case for tools not in the main menu but in a sub menu (komitter, versionner, file browser, etc), they are not listed by default :)

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 10:32 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm with Esteban.

Type "Work" or "Test" looking for the Workspace or  the Test Runner. They are far too down...

Try typing "process" looking Process browser, or "Configuration" for the configuration browser.

Those are things that should be accessible, by they are hidden because their names collide with a lot of classes and packages...

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 8:28 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think this should be configurable :)

> On 10 Dec 2014, at 19:13, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> well, I vote the contrary: I want “apps” to show first :P
> remember that is not just browsers what we open….
>
> Esteban
>
>> On 10 Dec 2014, at 19:01, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> but if you open a System Browser, the next step is to search for
>>> something in the System Browser. Why would you do that if you can use
>>> Spotter to directly search for the thing you want?
>>>
>>> Same thing for Monticello: spotter makes it apparently easy to commit
>>> directly from spotter. So, the main activity is to search for a
>>> package in spotter, not for Monticello.
>>>
>>> So, it looks like packages, classes and methods should come  before
>>> applications :-)
>>
>> Yes! +1
>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>>> losing enthusiasm."
>>> Winston Churchill

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

kilon.alios
Why it has to be always about black and white ?

Just put GTSpotter to the Pharo settings and let the user choose what is best for him.

Re: About launching tools with Spotter

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

First, I am happy already that different people see GTSpotter as suitable for different things: some want to search for tools more, some want to search for code, and I am hoping others want to search for something else.

This is great because it shows that GTSpotter can be quite versatile.

We should find a reasonable default. I think we probably should favor the tools on top just because there are very few of them.

However, you should also consider looking inside the code a bit. This tool is meant to be moldable quickly to your preference.

All search extensions are found in the GT-SpotterExtensions-Core. This package contains now some 40 methods totaling only 287 lines of code. For example, the definition of the top classes search is found in:

GTSpotter>>spotterForClassesFor: aStep
<spotterOrder: 10>
aStep listProcessor
allCandidates: [ Smalltalk allClasses ];
title: 'Classes';
matchSubstring;
itemIcon: #systemIcon;
wantsToDisplayOnEmptyQuery: false

The pragma number defines the position in the list (the lower it is, the more on top it is). So, if you want to have a different order, a simple solution would be delete the GT-SpotterExtensions-Core package and replace it with your own package in your image.

Cheers,
Doru