About literalsDo: deprecation

Nicolas Cellier
I notice while scanning Eliot changes that #literalsDo: is a
deprecated message...
But (literals do:) replacement is not neutral concerning speed.
It creates an Array where literalsDo: did not.
This is not a detail because this is called on each and every method
when scanning code:

For example, I tried this in Pharo image:

Time millisecondsToRun: [SystemNavigation default allGlobalRefs]
->5356 with Eliot's literalsDo:
->8947 pharo version calling literals do:

This change spoils a few minutes out of our every day work ;)

Nicolas

Re: About literalsDo: deprecation

Stéphane Ducasse
In fact I do not know why it has been deprecated. Marcus probably knows.
We should certainly undeprecated it :)

Stef

On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:53 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> I notice while scanning Eliot changes that #literalsDo: is a
> deprecated message...
> But (literals do:) replacement is not neutral concerning speed.
> It creates an Array where literalsDo: did not.
> This is not a detail because this is called on each and every method
> when scanning code:
>
> For example, I tried this in Pharo image:
>
> Time millisecondsToRun: [SystemNavigation default allGlobalRefs]
> ->5356 with Eliot's literalsDo:
> ->8947 pharo version calling literals do:
>
> This change spoils a few minutes out of our every day work ;)
>
> Nicolas

Re: About literalsDo: deprecation

Marcus Denker-3
On 15.04.2009, at 16:53, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> I notice while scanning Eliot changes that #literalsDo: is a
> deprecated message...
> But (literals do:) replacement is not neutral concerning speed.
> It creates an Array where literalsDo: did not.
> This is not a detail because this is called on each and every method
> when scanning code:
>
> For example, I tried this in Pharo image:
>
> Time millisecondsToRun: [SystemNavigation default allGlobalRefs]
> ->5356 with Eliot's literalsDo:
> ->8947 pharo version calling literals do:
>
> This change spoils a few minutes out of our every day work ;)

yeah, we should reverse that change.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: About literalsDo: deprecation

Hi Nicolas

  Issue 748: literals do -> literalsDo:
fixed in 10280 (I wanted back these miliseconds :)).

Stef

On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:53 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> I notice while scanning Eliot changes that #literalsDo: is a
> deprecated message...
> But (literals do:) replacement is not neutral concerning speed.
> It creates an Array where literalsDo: did not.
> This is not a detail because this is called on each and every method
> when scanning code:
>
> For example, I tried this in Pharo image:
>
> Time millisecondsToRun: [SystemNavigation default allGlobalRefs]
> ->5356 with Eliot's literalsDo:
> ->8947 pharo version calling literals do:
>
> This change spoils a few minutes out of our every day work ;)
>
> Nicolas

Re: About literalsDo: deprecation

Nicolas Cellier
It seems that literalsDo: eem change has been reverted...
... in 10284 it is still deprecated !
I don't know why, but this makes (SystemTest testAllSentMessages) run forever...

Please do it again

2009/4/18 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Nicolas
>
>  Issue 748:    literals do -> literalsDo:
> fixed in 10280 (I wanted back these miliseconds :)).
>
> Stef
>
> On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:53 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>
>> I notice while scanning Eliot changes that #literalsDo: is a
>> deprecated message...
>> But (literals do:) replacement is not neutral concerning speed.
>> It creates an Array where literalsDo: did not.
>> This is not a detail because this is called on each and every method
>> when scanning code:
>>
>> For example, I tried this in Pharo image:
>>
>> Time millisecondsToRun: [SystemNavigation default allGlobalRefs]
>> ->5356 with Eliot's literalsDo:
>> ->8947 pharo version calling literals do:
>>
>> This change spoils a few minutes out of our every day work ;)
>>
>> Nicolas

Re: About literalsDo: deprecation

Stéphane Ducasse
Argh me neither. There is some black magic in MC.
I will fix that now.

On Apr 20, 2009, at 12:15 AM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> It seems that literalsDo: eem change has been reverted...
> ... in 10284 it is still deprecated !
> I don't know why, but this makes (SystemTest testAllSentMessages)
> run forever...
>
> Please do it again
>

> 2009/4/18 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi Nicolas
>>
>> Issue 748:    literals do -> literalsDo:
>> fixed in 10280 (I wanted back these miliseconds :)).
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:53 PM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>
>>> I notice while scanning Eliot changes that #literalsDo: is a
>>> deprecated message...
>>> But (literals do:) replacement is not neutral concerning speed.
>>> It creates an Array where literalsDo: did not.
>>> This is not a detail because this is called on each and every method
>>> when scanning code:
>>>
>>> For example, I tried this in Pharo image:
>>>
>>> Time millisecondsToRun: [SystemNavigation default allGlobalRefs]
>>> ->5356 with Eliot's literalsDo:
>>> ->8947 pharo version calling literals do:
>>>
>>> This change spoils a few minutes out of our every day work ;)
>>>
>>> Nicolas

Re: About literalsDo: deprecation

Stéphane Ducasse
I pushed a fix