About loading Glamour into Squeak 4.1

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

I am trying to load Glamour into Squeak 4.1. but run into a problem
completing the loading.

1) Use ConfigurationOfGlamour-tg.38.mcz (21 May 2010) in Squeak 4.1
trunk (or Squeak 4.2alpha updated)

2) Evaluate
    ConfigurationOfGlamour loadDefault

3) A warning pops up
  This package depends on the following classes:
 Announcer
 Announcement

(I am not told which package ).

Question: Where do I find the class Announcer and Announcement?

Thank you for the answer in advance.

Hannes

P.S. I tried to ignore this warning and proceeded. It loads quite a
lot but the examples do not work because the class GLMTabulator is not
known.

GLMTabulator  seems to be a central class. Maybe I can load it through
other means. I do not necessarily need everyting at this moment. I
would just like to do a few simple examples to explore a net of
objects.

Re: About loading Glamour into Squeak 4.1

jannik laval
Hello,

Glamour depends on Announcement, which is a part of Pharo Kernel.
It is the new event Manager, which differs from Squeak.

I don't know If it is portable in Squeak.

Cheers,
Jannik

On May 29, 2010, at 13:46 , Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am trying to load Glamour into Squeak 4.1. but run into a problem
> completing the loading.
>
> 1) Use ConfigurationOfGlamour-tg.38.mcz (21 May 2010) in Squeak 4.1
> trunk (or Squeak 4.2alpha updated)
>
> 2) Evaluate
>    ConfigurationOfGlamour loadDefault
>
> 3) A warning pops up
>  This package depends on the following classes:
> Announcer
> Announcement
>
> (I am not told which package ).
>

> Question: Where do I find the class Announcer and Announcement?
>
> Thank you for the answer in advance.
>
> Hannes
>

> P.S. I tried to ignore this warning and proceeded. It loads quite a
> lot but the examples do not work because the class GLMTabulator is not
> known.
>
> GLMTabulator  seems to be a central class. Maybe I can load it through
> other means. I do not necessarily need everyting at this moment. I
> would just like to do a few simple examples to explore a net of
> objects.

---
Jannik Laval

Re: About loading Glamour into Squeak 4.1

Tudor Girba
Hi,

You can probably load the Announcement package separately from:

MCHttpRepository
location: 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/announcements'
user: ''
password: ''

I presume you will also encounter other problems due to Polymorph
which exists by default in Pharo. So, you will also need to learn how
to load that one. One idea would be to ask on the Pharo mailing list
to see how they load it on top of the core image.

Cheers,
Doru

On 29 May 2010, at 14:12, Laval Jannik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Glamour depends on Announcement, which is a part of Pharo Kernel.
> It is the new event Manager, which differs from Squeak.
>
> I don't know If it is portable in Squeak.
>
> Cheers,
> Jannik
>
> On May 29, 2010, at 13:46 , Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am trying to load Glamour into Squeak 4.1. but run into a problem
>> completing the loading.
>>
>> 1) Use ConfigurationOfGlamour-tg.38.mcz (21 May 2010) in Squeak 4.1
>> trunk (or Squeak 4.2alpha updated)
>>
>> 2) Evaluate
>>   ConfigurationOfGlamour loadDefault
>>
>> 3) A warning pops up
>> This package depends on the following classes:
>> Announcer
>> Announcement
>>
>> (I am not told which package ).
>>

>> Question: Where do I find the class Announcer and Announcement?
>>
>> Thank you for the answer in advance.
>>
>> Hannes
>>

>> P.S. I tried to ignore this warning and proceeded. It loads quite a
>> lot but the examples do not work because the class GLMTabulator is
>> not
>> known.
>>
>> GLMTabulator  seems to be a central class. Maybe I can load it
>> through
>> other means. I do not necessarily need everyting at this moment. I
>> would just like to do a few simple examples to explore a net of
>> objects.
>
> ---
> Jannik Laval

www.tudorgirba.com

"What we can governs what we wish."

Re: About loading Glamour into Squeak 4.1

jannik laval
>From my point of view,
It is more efficient to use Pharo and a stable system (Announcement + Glamour) than to try to port all the things to Squeak.

Maybe, you have good reasons to do that.
keep us informed of your choice, and if it work on Squeak.

Cheers,
Jannik

On May 29, 2010, at 14:40 , Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You can probably load the Announcement package separately from:
>
> MCHttpRepository
> location: 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/announcements'
> user: ''
> password: ''
>
> I presume you will also encounter other problems due to Polymorph which exists by default in Pharo. So, you will also need to learn how to load that one. One idea would be to ask on the Pharo mailing list to see how they load it on top of the core image.
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
> On 29 May 2010, at 14:12, Laval Jannik wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Glamour depends on Announcement, which is a part of Pharo Kernel.
>> It is the new event Manager, which differs from Squeak.
>>
>> I don't know If it is portable in Squeak.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jannik
>>
>> On May 29, 2010, at 13:46 , Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I am trying to load Glamour into Squeak 4.1. but run into a problem
>>> completing the loading.
>>>
>>> 1) Use ConfigurationOfGlamour-tg.38.mcz (21 May 2010) in Squeak 4.1
>>> trunk (or Squeak 4.2alpha updated)
>>>
>>> 2) Evaluate
>>>  ConfigurationOfGlamour loadDefault
>>>
>>> 3) A warning pops up
>>> This package depends on the following classes:
>>> Announcer
>>> Announcement
>>>
>>> (I am not told which package ).
>>>

>>> Question: Where do I find the class Announcer and Announcement?
>>>
>>> Thank you for the answer in advance.
>>>
>>> Hannes
>>>

>>> P.S. I tried to ignore this warning and proceeded. It loads quite a
>>> lot but the examples do not work because the class GLMTabulator is not
>>> known.
>>>
>>> GLMTabulator  seems to be a central class. Maybe I can load it through
>>> other means. I do not necessarily need everyting at this moment. I
>>> would just like to do a few simple examples to explore a net of
>>> objects.
>>
>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What we can governs what we wish."

---
Jannik Laval

Re: About loading Glamour into Squeak 4.1

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Doru and Jannik for your help so far

Currently I have my development works in Squeak - a lot of Projects.
So I want to keep for the time being. We will see which obstacles
arise.

As of now I am just doing

   ConfigurationOfSeaside30 load

in a test image. Of course this loads a lot but I want to work with
Seaside in any case. So it does not matter in this case and it might
satisfy preconditions which are not (yet) stated in
ConfigurationOfGlamour.

Then I want to go for the Lukas' Announcement package and try it again
with Glamour.

I saw that Glamour has a category 'Seaside'. I assume it is possible
to build Seasides browsers with Glamour.

--Hannes

On 5/29/10, Laval Jannik <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >From my point of view,
> It is more efficient to use Pharo and a stable system (Announcement +
> Glamour) than to try to port all the things to Squeak.
>
> Maybe, you have good reasons to do that.
> keep us informed of your choice, and if it work on Squeak.
>
> Cheers,
> Jannik
>

> On May 29, 2010, at 14:40 , Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> You can probably load the Announcement package separately from:
>>
>> MCHttpRepository
>> location: 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/announcements'
>> user: ''
>> password: ''
>>
>> I presume you will also encounter other problems due to Polymorph which
>> exists by default in Pharo. So, you will also need to learn how to load
>> that one. One idea would be to ask on the Pharo mailing list to see how
>> they load it on top of the core image.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>> On 29 May 2010, at 14:12, Laval Jannik wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Glamour depends on Announcement, which is a part of Pharo Kernel.
>>> It is the new event Manager, which differs from Squeak.
>>>
>>> I don't know If it is portable in Squeak.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jannik

>>> ---
>>> Jannik Laval

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "What we can governs what we wish."

> ---
> Jannik Laval

Re: About loading Glamour into Squeak 4.1

Hannes Hirzel
OK, this time it got one step further. It now complains about not
having classes which I assume are part of the package Polymorph.

This package depends on the following classes:
  StandardWindow
  UIThemeWatery2
  PluggableShoutMorph
  TabGroupMorph

On 5/29/10, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Doru and Jannik for your help so far
>
> Currently I have my development works in Squeak - a lot of Projects.
> So I want to keep for the time being. We will see which obstacles
> arise.
>
> As of now I am just doing
>
>    ConfigurationOfSeaside30 load
>
> in a test image. Of course this loads a lot but I want to work with
> Seaside in any case. So it does not matter in this case and it might
> satisfy preconditions which are not (yet) stated in
> ConfigurationOfGlamour.
>
> Then I want to go for the Lukas' Announcement package and try it again
> with Glamour.
>
> I saw that Glamour has a category 'Seaside'. I assume it is possible
> to build Seasides browsers with Glamour.
>

> --Hannes
>

> On 5/29/10, Laval Jannik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >From my point of view,
>> It is more efficient to use Pharo and a stable system (Announcement +
>> Glamour) than to try to port all the things to Squeak.
>>
>> Maybe, you have good reasons to do that.
>> keep us informed of your choice, and if it work on Squeak.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jannik
>>

>> On May 29, 2010, at 14:40 , Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> You can probably load the Announcement package separately from:
>>>
>>> MCHttpRepository
>>> location: 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/announcements'
>>> user: ''
>>> password: ''
>>>
>>> I presume you will also encounter other problems due to Polymorph which
>>> exists by default in Pharo. So, you will also need to learn how to load
>>> that one. One idea would be to ask on the Pharo mailing list to see how
>>> they load it on top of the core image.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru

>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "What we can governs what we wish."

>> ---
>> Jannik Laval

Re: About loading Glamour into Squeak 4.1

Tudor Girba
Hi,

These classes are indeed part of Polymorph:
> StandardWindow
> UIThemeWatery2
> TabGroupMorph

This class is part of Shout:
> PluggableShoutMorph

Cheers,
Doru

On 29 May 2010, at 17:50, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> OK, this time it got one step further. It now complains about not
> having classes which I assume are part of the package Polymorph.
>
> This package depends on the following classes:
>  StandardWindow
>  UIThemeWatery2
>  PluggableShoutMorph
>  TabGroupMorph
>
> On 5/29/10, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thank you Doru and Jannik for your help so far
>>
>> Currently I have my development works in Squeak - a lot of Projects.
>> So I want to keep for the time being. We will see which obstacles
>> arise.
>>
>> As of now I am just doing
>>
>>   ConfigurationOfSeaside30 load
>>
>> in a test image. Of course this loads a lot but I want to work with
>> Seaside in any case. So it does not matter in this case and it might
>> satisfy preconditions which are not (yet) stated in
>> ConfigurationOfGlamour.
>>
>> Then I want to go for the Lukas' Announcement package and try it
>> again
>> with Glamour.
>>
>> I saw that Glamour has a category 'Seaside'. I assume it is possible
>> to build Seasides browsers with Glamour.
>>

>> --Hannes

>>> It is more efficient to use Pharo and a stable system
>>> (Announcement +
>>> Glamour) than to try to port all the things to Squeak.
>>>
>>> Maybe, you have good reasons to do that.
>>> keep us informed of your choice, and if it work on Squeak.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Jannik

>>> ---
>>> Jannik Laval

www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow."

Re: About loading Glamour into Squeak 4.1

Stéphane Ducasse
it is always difficult to have the butter and the money for the butter.

Stef

On May 29, 2010, at 5:52 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> These classes are indeed part of Polymorph:
>> StandardWindow
>> UIThemeWatery2
>> TabGroupMorph
>
> This class is part of Shout:
>> PluggableShoutMorph
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 29 May 2010, at 17:50, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>
>> OK, this time it got one step further. It now complains about not
>> having classes which I assume are part of the package Polymorph.
>>
>> This package depends on the following classes:
>> StandardWindow
>> UIThemeWatery2
>> PluggableShoutMorph
>> TabGroupMorph
>>
>> On 5/29/10, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thank you Doru and Jannik for your help so far
>>>
>>> Currently I have my development works in Squeak - a lot of Projects.
>>> So I want to keep for the time being. We will see which obstacles
>>> arise.
>>>
>>> As of now I am just doing
>>>
>>>  ConfigurationOfSeaside30 load
>>>
>>> in a test image. Of course this loads a lot but I want to work with
>>> Seaside in any case. So it does not matter in this case and it might
>>> satisfy preconditions which are not (yet) stated in
>>> ConfigurationOfGlamour.
>>>
>>> Then I want to go for the Lukas' Announcement package and try it again
>>> with Glamour.
>>>
>>> I saw that Glamour has a category 'Seaside'. I assume it is possible
>>> to build Seasides browsers with Glamour.
>>>

>>> --Hannes

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Every thing has its own flow."

Re: About loading Glamour into Squeak 4.1

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

the report so far

Load Seaside
   ConfigurationOfSeaside30 load

got the Announcement package from Lukas

   MCHttpRepository
        location: 'http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/announcements'
        user: ''
        password: ''

Loaded Glamour

   ConfigurationOfGlamour loadDefault.

RESULTS

GLMSystemWindow is a subclass of StandardWindow (Pharo) wheras in
Squeak there is SystemWindow. Glamour maintains a whole set of its own
Morphic classes

GLMActionAnnouncement GLMButtonModel
GLMDropDownListMorphSelectionChanged GLMDropListModel GLMKeyStroke
GLMMenuInvoked GLMMenuItemSelected GLMMorphTreeColumn GLMMorphic
GLMMorphicModel GLMMorphicRenderer GLMPaneScroller
GLMScrollPaneForHResize GLMSelectedTextChanged GLMSystemWindow
GLMTextModel GLMTreeMorphModel GLMTreeMorphNodeModel
GLMTreeMorphSelectionChanged GLMTreeMorphStrongSelectionChanged

Glamour depends on PolyMorph and in particular the following Morphs
are not in Squeak 4.1
   PanelMorph
   LabelMorph

They are not too difficult to add. More work is the dependency on Polymorph

styles, themes, borderWith etc.

However there is a package Glamour-Squeak which indicates that the
designers of Glamour thought of making it compatible with Squeak. (It
currently only contains one method).

Of the four Seaside examples the 'file' example shows something but it
does not work.

Glamour-Tests
171 run, 166 passes , 4 expected failures, 0 failures, 1 error

Glamour-Test-Morphic
48 run, 1 passes, 2 expected failures, 45 errors.

Glamour-Examples
9 run, 9 errors

CONCLUSION

It seems that Glamour relies on additional methods added to Morphic
which necessitate a compatibily layer or a rewrite of the Morphic view
classes. As the Browser UI elements are pretty standard this should be
possible without too much effort.

In particular straightforward would be the 4 Seaside examples as
Seaside works fine in Squeak 4.1.
However one of the works partially.  It could be that the Seaside
examples are not working yet in Glamour either.

However for the time being I will focus on manually constructing
browsers with ToolBuilder in Squeak instead of working on a port.

I assume that if I have got enough ToolBuilder examples (templates)
that I will be  pretty fast as well in constructing specialized
Browsers - in particular Browsers which run on Squeak and Pharo.

Maybe I will come back to this later as Glamour is an interesting piece of work.

Thank you Doru and Laval for your help. This was an insightful exercise.

Hannes

On 5/29/10, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> it is always difficult to have the butter and the money for the butter.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 29, 2010, at 5:52 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> These classes are indeed part of Polymorph:
>>> StandardWindow
>>> UIThemeWatery2
>>> TabGroupMorph
>>
>> This class is part of Shout:
>>> PluggableShoutMorph
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 29 May 2010, at 17:50, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>>
>>> OK, this time it got one step further. It now complains about not
>>> having classes which I assume are part of the package Polymorph.
>>>
>>> This package depends on the following classes:
>>> StandardWindow
>>> UIThemeWatery2
>>> PluggableShoutMorph