About not using full Pharo

Damien Cassou
Hi,

I've read that some of you are installing their own set of packages on
top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?

If we don't have this information, you might not like the new
Pharo-Core and you will have nothing anymore to base your images on.
Speak now or forever hold your peace :-)

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: About not using full Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Damien. That peolpe are NOT using PharoDev is something really good from my point of view because:

1) it means that we have a set of external packages that can be loaded and work in a PharoCore
2) it is easy to manage them (otherwise they wouldn't do it)

I think there are important "new" reasons why people can *now* build they own images:

a) Metacello existance
b) There are configurations for almost all needed projects/packages
c) Jenkis
d) New and easy Settings browser

With all of the them is it TRIVIAL to automatically build your own PharoDev image, where you put what you want, you set the settings to want, etc.

But for all the rest of the people, you have PharoDev :)

Cheers

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've read that some of you are installing their own set of packages on
top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?

If we don't have this information, you might not like the new
Pharo-Core and you will have nothing anymore to base your images on.
Speak now or forever hold your peace :-)

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: About not using full Pharo

Yanni Chiu
On 19/06/11 4:38 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've read that some of you are installing their own set of packages on
> top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
> like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?

My image was always built from PharoCore. It was done this way before
PharoDev existed, and I saw no reason to change.

I thought people were supposed to build their own image (tailored to
their needs). IIRC, PharoDev was initially provided as a convenience for
those that wanted such an artifact.

The concept of PharoDev evolved - I recall discussion about the
"branding" of PharoDev as Pharo, and relegating PharoCore to the role of
build process artifact. The discussion did not raise any flags for me,
until now, when the discussion has turned to "eliminating" PharoCore.

I've never mentioned this before because I never thought I was doing
anything wrong by building my own image from PharoCore.

Re: About not using full Pharo

Lukas Renggli
> I've read that some of you are installing their own set of packages on
> top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
> like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?

Uhh? Don't tell me you didn't know? All images I build on my Jenkins
are based on PharoCore since we setup that infrastructure.

I even unload packages from PharoCore, because I think it contains far
to much cruft (https://github.com/renggli/builder/blob/master/scripts/pharo-cleanup.st).
This is also something I repeatedly brought up.

I don't use Pharo mostly because of OCompletion. It looks ugly and I
get annoyed to have it constantly suggesting me stuff I didn't ask
for. No other IDE I know has such an aggressive and annoying
completion behavior.

Also the Pharo images usually contain very old code, for example the
image I just downloaded from pharo-project.org uses a version of
OmniBrowser with the broken scrollbar. Something that I fixed in the
beginning of this year, I think.

Personally I don't need many of the packages loaded into Pharo:
AutmaticMethodCategorizer (something similar is in OB-Standard for a
long time), Autotest (something similar is in OB-SUnitIntegration for
a long time), HelpSystem, MemoryMonitor, MorphicExtras, Sound,
ArchiveViewer, SqueakCompatiblity, BitBltPen, MovieMorph,
ObjectMetaTools, Nile, ProfStef,
ScriptManager, XMLSupport (I load that only when needed), XMLWriter.

> If we don't have this information, you might not like the new
> Pharo-Core and you will have nothing anymore to base your images on.
> Speak now or forever hold your peace :-)

Since the beginning of 2011, 3757 of my images were downloaded from
people other than me. Not sure who this is, why they do it, and if
this number is any significant? Maybe it helps you for your
statistics?

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Yanni Chiu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My image was always built from PharoCore. It was done this way before
> PharoDev existed, and I saw no reason to change.
>
> I thought people were supposed to build their own image (tailored to their
> needs). IIRC, PharoDev was initially provided as a convenience for those
> that wanted such an artifact.
>
> The concept of PharoDev evolved - I recall discussion about the "branding"
> of PharoDev as Pharo, and relegating PharoCore to the role of build process
> artifact. The discussion did not raise any flags for me, until now, when the
> discussion has turned to "eliminating" PharoCore.
>
> I've never mentioned this before because I never thought I was doing
> anything wrong by building my own image from PharoCore.

You didn't do anything wrong :-). As Mariano pointed out, the process
became so simple that everyone can now build his own images. I was
asking because if a lot of you don't like one package or always add
the same packages, we should know it to improve Pharo so that it suits
most people.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've read that some of you are installing their own set of packages on
>> top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
>> like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?
>
> Uhh? Don't tell me you didn't know? All images I build on my Jenkins
> are based on PharoCore since we setup that infrastructure.

You are right, I knew about you :-)

> Since the beginning of 2011, 3757 of my images were downloaded from
> people other than me. Not sure who this is, why they do it, and if
> this number is any significant? Maybe it helps you for your
> statistics?

I often use your images to get the latest Pier and Seaside.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: About not using full Pharo

Bernat Romagosa
I'm a One-Click user!

I use most of the tools included by default (finder, OB, autocompletion, etc), plus I add a couple more to my images (newInspector, multipleWorlds, etc).

Cheers!

2011/6/20 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've read that some of you are installing their own set of packages on
>> top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
>> like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?
>
> Uhh? Don't tell me you didn't know? All images I build on my Jenkins
> are based on PharoCore since we setup that infrastructure.

You are right, I knew about you :-)

> Since the beginning of 2011, 3757 of my images were downloaded from
> people other than me. Not sure who this is, why they do it, and if
> this number is any significant? Maybe it helps you for your
> statistics?

I often use your images to get the latest Pier and Seaside.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: About not using full Pharo

laurent laffont
Personally I'm tired of loading the tools / frameworks I use in Pharo.

I would like to take time to setup my own Hudson.

I think it's normal that a lot of people needs its own "One Click" with latest pharo/vm/tools they use, just because we can do it.

Would be cool to have an open CI platform so people can register their own config.

Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs

Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

On Jun 20, 2011, at 6:20 AM, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> On 19/06/11 4:38 PM, Damien Cassou wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've read that some of you are installing their own set of packages on
>> top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
>> like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?
>
> My image was always built from PharoCore. It was done this way before PharoDev existed, and I saw no reason to change.
>
> I thought people were supposed to build their own image (tailored to their needs). IIRC, PharoDev was initially provided as a convenience for those that wanted such an artifact.
>
> The concept of PharoDev evolved - I recall discussion about the "branding" of PharoDev as Pharo, and relegating PharoCore to the role of build process artifact. The discussion did not raise any flags for me, until now, when the discussion has turned to "eliminating" PharoCore.
>
> I've never mentioned this before because I never thought I was doing anything wrong by building my own image from PharoCore.

but you are not. :)
The point is that we should be able to have good tools inside the default system so that we can get faster.
We are fedup to do refactoring of core manually.

Re: About not using full Pharo

Yes we would like to offer that service.
Everybody building their onw image via jenkins :)

Stef

On Jun 20, 2011, at 11:25 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Personally I'm tired of loading the tools / frameworks I use in Pharo.
>
> I would like to take time to setup my own Hudson.
>
> I think it's normal that a lot of people needs its own "One Click" with latest pharo/vm/tools they use, just because we can do it.
>
> Would be cool to have an open CI platform so people can register their own config.
>

> Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs
>
> Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
> Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st
>

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm a One-Click user!
>
> I use most of the tools included by default (finder, OB, autocompletion, etc), plus I add a couple more to my images (newInspector, multipleWorlds, etc).
>
> Cheers!
>
> 2011/6/20 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I've read that some of you are installing their own set of packages on
> >> top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
> >> like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?
> >
> > Uhh? Don't tell me you didn't know? All images I build on my Jenkins
> > are based on PharoCore since we setup that infrastructure.
>

> You are right, I knew about you :-)
>

> > Since the beginning of 2011, 3757 of my images were downloaded from
> > people other than me. Not sure who this is, why they do it, and if
> > this number is any significant? Maybe it helps you for your
> > statistics?
>
> I often use your images to get the latest Pier and Seaside.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: About not using full Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
Yes, that would be awesome and have lot of cool features. Nevertheless, nobody prevent you from doing a poor man jenkis:  a simple bash script that downloaded latest pharo image, uncompress, and send a build.st script. In buid.st you put a Gofer script to load all your stuff and finally set preference.

So....every in a while you do ./buildMyCoolImage.sh

and that's all.

Cheers

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes we would like to offer that service.
Everybody building their onw image via jenkins :)

Stef

On Jun 20, 2011, at 11:25 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Personally I'm tired of loading the tools / frameworks I use in Pharo.
>
> I would like to take time to setup my own Hudson.
>
> I think it's normal that a lot of people needs its own "One Click" with latest pharo/vm/tools they use, just because we can do it.
>
> Would be cool to have an open CI platform so people can register their own config.
>

> Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs
>
> Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
> Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st
>

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm a One-Click user!
>
> I use most of the tools included by default (finder, OB, autocompletion, etc), plus I add a couple more to my images (newInspector, multipleWorlds, etc).
>
> Cheers!
>
> 2011/6/20 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I've read that some of you are installing their own set of packages on
> >> top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
> >> like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?
> >
> > Uhh? Don't tell me you didn't know? All images I build on my Jenkins
> > are based on PharoCore since we setup that infrastructure.
>

> You are right, I knew about you :-)
>

> > Since the beginning of 2011, 3757 of my images were downloaded from
> > people other than me. Not sure who this is, why they do it, and if
> > this number is any significant? Maybe it helps you for your
> > statistics?
>
> I often use your images to get the latest Pier and Seaside.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: About not using full Pharo

laurent laffont
Why a .sh ? Pharo is here ;)

Laurent

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, that would be awesome and have lot of cool features. Nevertheless, nobody prevent you from doing a poor man jenkis:  a simple bash script that downloaded latest pharo image, uncompress, and send a build.st script. In buid.st you put a Gofer script to load all your stuff and finally set preference.

So....every in a while you do ./buildMyCoolImage.sh

and that's all.

Cheers

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes we would like to offer that service.
Everybody building their onw image via jenkins :)

Stef

On Jun 20, 2011, at 11:25 AM, laurent laffont wrote:

> Personally I'm tired of loading the tools / frameworks I use in Pharo.
>
> I would like to take time to setup my own Hudson.
>
> I think it's normal that a lot of people needs its own "One Click" with latest pharo/vm/tools they use, just because we can do it.
>
> Would be cool to have an open CI platform so people can register their own config.
>

> Laurent Laffont - @lolgzs
>
> Pharo Smalltalk Screencasts: http://www.pharocasts.com/
> Blog: http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
> Developer group: http://cara74.seasidehosting.st
>

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm a One-Click user!
>
> I use most of the tools included by default (finder, OB, autocompletion, etc), plus I add a couple more to my images (newInspector, multipleWorlds, etc).
>
> Cheers!
>
> 2011/6/20 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I've read that some of you are installing their own set of packages on
> >> top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
> >> like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?
> >
> > Uhh? Don't tell me you didn't know? All images I build on my Jenkins
> > are based on PharoCore since we setup that infrastructure.
>

> You are right, I knew about you :-)
>

> > Since the beginning of 2011, 3757 of my images were downloaded from
> > people other than me. Not sure who this is, why they do it, and if
> > this number is any significant? Maybe it helps you for your
> > statistics?
>
> I often use your images to get the latest Pier and Seaside.
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: About not using full Pharo

Janko Mivšek
I'm also a one-click user and I'd like to have out-of-the box most of
things for a daily use. In a Pharo named simply Pharo. No Pharo-dev,
which already sound scary .. :)

If I need more, I'd like to go to something like MetacelloBrowser,
search around then one-click load it. And unload if not happy. Current
Monticello/SqueakSource combo is way too complex even for me!

Best regards
Janko

S, Bernat Romagosa piše:

> I'm a One-Click user!
>
> I use most of the tools included by default (finder, OB, autocompletion,
> etc), plus I add a couple more to my images (newInspector,
> multipleWorlds, etc).
>
> Cheers!
>
> 2011/6/20 Damien Cassou <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>     >> I've read that some of you are installing their own set of
>     packages on
>     >> top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
>     >> like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?
>     >
>     > Uhh? Don't tell me you didn't know? All images I build on my Jenkins
>     > are based on PharoCore since we setup that infrastructure.
>

>     You are right, I knew about you :-)
>

>     > Since the beginning of 2011, 3757 of my images were downloaded from
>     > people other than me. Not sure who this is, why they do it, and if
>     > this number is any significant? Maybe it helps you for your
>     > statistics?
>
>     I often use your images to get the latest Pier and Seaside.
>
>     --
>     Damien Cassou
>     http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
>     "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>     popular by not having them." James Iry

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko
Eranova d.o.o.
Ljubljana, Slovenija
www.eranova.si
tel:  01 514 22 55
faks: 01 514 22 56
gsm: 031 674 565

Re: About not using full Pharo

Lukas Renggli
> The point is that we should be able to have good tools inside the default system so that we can get faster.
> We are fedup to do refactoring of core manually.

You have a build server that builds PharoCore and Pharo images
immediately and all the time. So, why are you not improving the system
in Pharo and immediately let your servers build experimental PharoCore
and Pharo images right after you commit? If tests pass the files get
propagated and generate the official builds.

As long as Pharo packages are clean without any overrides there should
be no problem (this is the case with my builds). If you remember, we
did together some refactorings while I was visiting you in Lille last
year.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: About not using full Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
>> The point is that we should be able to have good tools inside the default system so that we can get faster.
>> We are fedup to do refactoring of core manually.
>
> You have a build server that builds PharoCore and Pharo images
> immediately and all the time. So, why are you not improving the system
> in Pharo and immediately let your servers build experimental PharoCore
> and Pharo images right after you commit? If tests pass the files get
> propagated and generate the official builds.

The point is that when I work with core right now we do not have RB loaded. So a pain ;)
Now if we work on Pharo (RB loaded) and change RB (we will have to do that for RPackage for example).
How do I publish, reload everything? I want to close the loop because it should be possible and that jenkins does all the job for me.

        Right now scriptLoader does not deal with external packages and dependencies
        So we could do it but we will lose all the effort in making these external packages loadable outside
        of the "pharo" image.
        So this is why I proposed.

>       seed + MetacelloSpec + modification => seed' + MetacelloSpec'
>
>       and that we are able to build hudson that takes
>               aSeed + a spec
>                       => run all the tests + run all the quality check
>
> Right now we have
>       seed + list of package + modification => seed' + list of package'
>
>       and we get in trouble when we modify seed parts that influence external package

        This way: pharo hardcore like us can work with the tools at full speed.
        And other people can make sure that they can load the tools we use and modified in the different
        version of the images using Metacello and the dependencies management (the scary part of packages for me).

> As long as Pharo packages are clean without any overrides there should
> be no problem (this is the case with my builds).

Yes more or less because dependencies between versions will be evil and kill us if we do not pay attention.

> If you remember, we did together some refactorings while I was visiting you in Lille last year.

Yes but I got stuck :(
I should invest throwing away scriptLoader :)
Mariano, Guillermo I would love to have a Metacello conf for Pharo (old pharo-core).
And that the system generate it for me.

Ok I will invest in that....
Argh. Now I spent 1/3 of my time in meetings (as lab representent reagrh....).

Stef (I will survive).

> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: About not using full Pharo

Hilaire Fernandes
Le 19/06/2011 22:38, Damien Cassou a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've read that some of you are installing their own set of packages on
> top of Pharo-Core and not using Pharo. Why is that so? What don't you
> like in Pharo? Why didn't you tell us before?

I switch to Pharo core because I use a different version of XML package
(an older one). Not a really good reason, but I found easier to take
core and install the package I need with a script.

Hilaire