About package renaming

Igor Stasenko
Hello folks,
recently ive seen some messages about package renaming (but not sure
in which list, so i post to both ;).
I have a simple problem, and i hope it having a simple solution:
i want to rename an MC package to different name.
Is there any support from tools (MC/browser) to do this automatically?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: About package renaming

Alain Plantec-4
Igor Stasenko a écrit :
> Hello folks,
> recently ive seen some messages about package renaming (but not sure
> in which list, so i post to both ;).
> I have a simple problem, and i hope it having a simple solution:
> i want to rename an MC package to different name.
> Is there any support from tools (MC/browser) to do this automatically?

Hi Igor,
I've asked the same question some time ago. Lukas answer is given below.
Cheers
Alain

> Short answer: It is not supported by Monticello.
>
> Long answer: By renaming all the categories and protocols (this can be
> automated using the OB-Refactoring and OB-Regex tools), creating a new
> package and committing that one. You'll loose the version history and
> thus the ability to merge.
>
> Lukas
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Alain Plantec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> > Thanks
>> > Alain

> -- Lukas Renggli http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: About package renaming

Igor Stasenko
2009/4/27 Alain Plantec <[hidden email]>:

> Igor Stasenko a écrit :
>> Hello folks,
>> recently ive seen some messages about package renaming (but not sure
>> in which list, so i post to both ;).
>> I have a simple problem, and i hope it having a simple solution:
>> i want to rename an MC package to different name.
>> Is there any support from tools (MC/browser) to do this automatically?
>>

> Hi Igor,
> I've asked the same question some time ago. Lukas answer is given below.
> Cheers
> Alain
>> Short answer: It is not supported by Monticello.
>>
>> Long answer: By renaming all the categories and protocols (this can be
>> automated using the OB-Refactoring and OB-Regex tools), creating a new
>> package and committing that one. You'll loose the version history and
>> thus the ability to merge.

I don't worry about losing merge ability, but worry about losing an
extension methods.

Anyways, thanks for answer. 'No' , is answer too :)

>> Lukas

>> -- Lukas Renggli http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: About package renaming

Oscar Nierstrasz

Hi Igor,

Last time I wanted to do this, my local gurus suggested the
programmatic solution:

Q How do I move all classes and extension methods from one package to
another?
| pkg |
pkg := PackageInfo named: 'Saphir'.
pkg classes do: [:class | class category: 'Coral' ].
pkg methods collect: [:method |
        method actualClass organization
                classify: method methodSymbol
                under: #'*coral' ]