About squeaksource

Fabrizio Perin-3
Hi,

As most of you have experienced lately squeaksource have been behaving unreliably, loosing versions and crashing.
We discovered that a changed introduced in March, which we were not aware of, was responsible for these inconveniences.
We fixed the issue and stabilied squeaksource.

We would like to thank Philippe Marschall and Lukas Renggli for their help in fixing this problem.

Squeaksource should be as stable and reliable as it has always been. If you find any other problem please do not hesitate to contact us.

Fabrizio and Jorge

Re: About squeaksource

Damien Cassou
Hi Fabrizio & Jorge,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Fabrizio Perin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> As most of you have experienced lately squeaksource have been behaving
> unreliably, loosing versions and crashing.
> We discovered that a changed introduced in March, which we were not aware
> of, was responsible for these inconveniences.
> We fixed the issue and stabilied squeaksource.
>
> We would like to thank Philippe Marschall and Lukas Renggli for their help
> in fixing this problem.
>
> Squeaksource should be as stable and reliable as it has always been. If you
> find any other problem please do not hesitate to contact us.

thank you very much for your work. SqueakSource is very important for
our community and your commitment to maintain it should be
congratulated.

Thank you again

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: About squeaksource

Nicolas Cellier
Good news, but:

2011/8/22 Fabrizio Perin <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> As most of you have experienced lately squeaksource have been behaving
> unreliably, loosing versions and crashing.
> We discovered that a changed introduced in March, which we were not aware
> of, was responsible for these inconveniences.

This sentence is frightening. It does mean that the changes went out of control.
If it's really the case, it would be great to improve the process so
as to give more control on the changes.

Nicolas

> We fixed the issue and stabilied squeaksource.
>
> We would like to thank Philippe Marschall and Lukas Renggli for their help
> in fixing this problem.
>
> Squeaksource should be as stable and reliable as it has always been. If you
> find any other problem please do not hesitate to contact us.
>
> Fabrizio and Jorge

Re: About squeaksource

Tudor Girba-2
Thank you very much for taking care of this!

Doru

On 22 Aug 2011, at 14:03, Damien Cassou wrote:

> Hi Fabrizio & Jorge,
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Fabrizio Perin
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> As most of you have experienced lately squeaksource have been behaving
>> unreliably, loosing versions and crashing.
>> We discovered that a changed introduced in March, which we were not aware
>> of, was responsible for these inconveniences.
>> We fixed the issue and stabilied squeaksource.
>>
>> We would like to thank Philippe Marschall and Lukas Renggli for their help
>> in fixing this problem.
>>
>> Squeaksource should be as stable and reliable as it has always been. If you
>> find any other problem please do not hesitate to contact us.
>
> thank you very much for your work. SqueakSource is very important for
> our community and your commitment to maintain it should be
> congratulated.
>
> Thank you again
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving should be focused on describing
the problem in a way that makes the solution obvious."

Re: About squeaksource

Lukas Renggli
Thank you Jorge, Fabrizio and Philippe. I hope you can spend the rest
of ESUG with more enjoyable things than fixing SqueakSource.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: About squeaksource

Thanks guys.
This is great that you spent time. Thanks a lot.

Stef

On Aug 22, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Fabrizio Perin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As most of you have experienced lately squeaksource have been behaving unreliably, loosing versions and crashing.
> We discovered that a changed introduced in March, which we were not aware of, was responsible for these inconveniences.
> We fixed the issue and stabilied squeaksource.
>
> We would like to thank Philippe Marschall and Lukas Renggli for their help in fixing this problem.
>
> Squeaksource should be as stable and reliable as it has always been. If you find any other problem please do not hesitate to contact us.
>
> Fabrizio and Jorge

Re: About squeaksource

Nicolas

From I understood this is a fix to fix another problem that conflicted with some hidden logic.
Apparently Squeaksource could save anempty file and you could not upload a new version.
So a fix "appeared" but it broke another aspect.

Now clearly using an old image with an old vm with an old version of Seaside and thousands
of files and lukas leaving for google led to the fact that indeed the process is not good.
Shit happen. Now this is why we want SmalltalkHub and I hope that we will have process to upgrade.

Stef

> Good news, but:
>
> 2011/8/22 Fabrizio Perin <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As most of you have experienced lately squeaksource have been behaving
>> unreliably, loosing versions and crashing.
>> We discovered that a changed introduced in March, which we were not aware
>> of, was responsible for these inconveniences.
>
> This sentence is frightening. It does mean that the changes went out of control.
> If it's really the case, it would be great to improve the process so
> as to give more control on the changes.
>
> Nicolas
>
>> We fixed the issue and stabilied squeaksource.
>>
>> We would like to thank Philippe Marschall and Lukas Renggli for their help
>> in fixing this problem.
>>
>> Squeaksource should be as stable and reliable as it has always been. If you
>> find any other problem please do not hesitate to contact us.
>>
>> Fabrizio and Jorge

Re: About squeaksource

Nicolas Cellier
2011/8/22 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> Nicolas
>
> From I understood this is a fix to fix another problem that conflicted with some hidden logic.
> Apparently Squeaksource could save anempty file and you could not upload a new version.
> So a fix "appeared" but it broke another aspect.
>
> Now clearly using an old image with an old vm with an old version of Seaside and thousands
> of files and lukas leaving for google led to the fact that indeed the process is not good.
> Shit happen. Now this is why we want SmalltalkHub and I hope that we will have process to upgrade.
>
> Stef

Sure, we have the right to make mistakes. That's just the way to
announce it that would raise more questions than answers in the mind
of an annoying client like me ;) (to be polite)

Nicolas

>> Good news, but:
>>
>> 2011/8/22 Fabrizio Perin <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As most of you have experienced lately squeaksource have been behaving
>>> unreliably, loosing versions and crashing.
>>> We discovered that a changed introduced in March, which we were not aware
>>> of, was responsible for these inconveniences.
>>
>> This sentence is frightening. It does mean that the changes went out of control.
>> If it's really the case, it would be great to improve the process so
>> as to give more control on the changes.
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>>> We fixed the issue and stabilied squeaksource.
>>>
>>> We would like to thank Philippe Marschall and Lukas Renggli for their help
>>> in fixing this problem.
>>>
>>> Squeaksource should be as stable and reliable as it has always been. If you
>>> find any other problem please do not hesitate to contact us.
>>>
>>> Fabrizio and Jorge

Re: About squeaksource

Stéphane Ducasse
>> Nicolas
>>
>> From I understood this is a fix to fix another problem that conflicted with some hidden logic.
>> Apparently Squeaksource could save anempty file and you could not upload a new version.
>> So a fix "appeared" but it broke another aspect.
>>
>> Now clearly using an old image with an old vm with an old version of Seaside and thousands
>> of files and lukas leaving for google led to the fact that indeed the process is not good.
>> Shit happen. Now this is why we want SmalltalkHub and I hope that we will have process to upgrade.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> Sure, we have the right to make mistakes. That's just the way to
> announce it that would raise more questions than answers in the mind
> of an annoying client like me ;) (to be polite)
>
> Nicolas

I understand but this was reality and we should improve and structure our processes.
Squeaksource is born before pharo and the current tools we use. So I know that we will
be far more picky on SmalltalkHub :)

Re: About squeaksource

Nicolas Cellier
2011/8/22 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

>>> Nicolas
>>>
>>> From I understood this is a fix to fix another problem that conflicted with some hidden logic.
>>> Apparently Squeaksource could save anempty file and you could not upload a new version.
>>> So a fix "appeared" but it broke another aspect.
>>>
>>> Now clearly using an old image with an old vm with an old version of Seaside and thousands
>>> of files and lukas leaving for google led to the fact that indeed the process is not good.
>>> Shit happen. Now this is why we want SmalltalkHub and I hope that we will have process to upgrade.
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>

>> Sure, we have the right to make mistakes. That's just the way to
>> announce it that would raise more questions than answers in the mind
>> of an annoying client like me ;) (to be polite)
>>
>> Nicolas
>
> I understand but this was reality and we should improve and structure our processes.
> Squeaksource is born before pharo and the current tools we use. So I know that we will
> be far more picky on SmalltalkHub :)

Sure, having the right to make mistakes implies the obligation to
guard against mistakes.
How do you write tests for all the edge cases (like simulating network
load/failures, etc...) ?

Nicolas

> Stef

Re: About squeaksource

Frank Shearar-3
On 22 August 2011 22:54, Nicolas Cellier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Sure, we have the right to make mistakes. That's just the way to
>>> announce it that would raise more questions than answers in the mind
>>> of an annoying client like me ;) (to be polite)
>>>
>>> Nicolas
>>
>> I understand but this was reality and we should improve and structure our processes.
>> Squeaksource is born before pharo and the current tools we use. So I know that we will
>> be far more picky on SmalltalkHub :)
>>

> Sure, having the right to make mistakes implies the obligation to
> guard against mistakes.
> How do you write tests for all the edge cases (like simulating network
> load/failures, etc...) ?

In my previous day job I wrote a SIP stack, so I had to worry about
some of these things. Some kinds of failure _are_ testable: mock out
the network layer, and inject fake errors. This allows you to
immediately test a whole range of errors: an unreachable server, a
server that disappears mid-connection, broken DNS, intermittent
failures, ...

By "mock" I mean one of two things: a classic objects-only layer with
an API to which all network stuff talks, or a server that allows you
to "supply" misbehaviour. Obviously the former is a lot faster, and
allows you to create unit tests for your bottom-most, network-facing
layer of your application.

Michael Nygaard's "Release It!" describes a test harness on pp
125-128: a server intentionally designed to do all manner of nasty
things - accept connections but not return data, return data extremely
slowly, refuse connections, fail to ACK, ... Each kind of bad
behaviour runs on a separate port, allowing you to just place the test
harness in your QA environment and potentially have multiple services
under test talk to it.

frank