About the Playground cache

Nicolai Hess

I thought the Playground cache holds all evaluated/used expressions.

But it just caches the current text and if you remove the current text, the cache
file is deleted.

And it does not use just one file, but one for every opened playground with text.
And if you close the playground, without deleting the current text, you ' ll end
up with many (many many) cache files. (and it takes some time opening the
first playground after image start up).

Pressing the little "..." icon shows an unscrollable large list with all the cache entries.
(even duplicate entries).

How about creating just one cache file, and only add used/evaluated expressions
to the cache?

nicolai

Re: About the Playground cache

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Nicolai,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

I thought the Playground cache holds all evaluated/used expressions.

It used to only remember the expressions after you pressed Go. But, then we noticed that this is not enough as sometimes you just do it. So, rather than duplicating the logic for all possible actions, we asked ourselves: Why would I ever want to forget anything? After all, I am not deleting my mails anymore, and the package-cache already accumulated some 14k mcz files.

Hence, the playground never forgets.

But it just caches the current text and if you remove the current text, the cache
file is deleted.

Indeed. You get a file per Playground. This is why the title of the playground can be relevant.

And it does not use just one file, but one for every opened playground with text.
And if you close the playground, without deleting the current text, you ' ll end
up with many (many many) cache files. (and it takes some time opening the
first playground after image start up).

Interesting. I have used this quite a lot and did not stumble across the opening delay problem. How many files do you have?

Pressing the little "..." icon shows an unscrollable large list with all the cache entries.
(even duplicate entries).

This will be replaced with a fancy search.

How about creating just one cache file, and only add used/evaluated expressions
to the cache?

Why? What don't you want remembered?

Cheers,
Doru

nicolai

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: About the Playground cache

Nicolai Hess
Hi Nicolai,

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:04 PM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

I thought the Playground cache holds all evaluated/used expressions.

Hi Doru

It used to only remember the expressions after you pressed Go. But, then we noticed that this is not enough as sometimes you just do it. So, rather than duplicating the logic for all possible actions, we asked ourselves: Why would I ever want to forget anything? After all, I am not deleting my mails anymore, and the package-cache already accumulated some 14k mcz files.

Hence, the playground never forgets.

Sure it does, you just have to delete all the current text, after that it is gone you can not get it back.

Maybe my practice is different, I don't open many different playgrounds for every code I type in.
I am used to work with one or two workspaces and use only one of them as a "playground" for the code.

But it just caches the current text and if you remove the current text, the cache
file is deleted.

Indeed. You get a file per Playground. This is why the title of the playground can be relevant.

And it does not use just one file, but one for every opened playground with text.
And if you close the playground, without deleting the current text, you ' ll end
up with many (many many) cache files. (and it takes some time opening the
first playground after image start up).

Interesting. I have used this quite a lot and did not stumble across the opening delay problem. How many files do you have?

0, just deleted :)

Pressing the little "..." icon shows an unscrollable large list with all the cache entries.
(even duplicate entries).

This will be replaced with a fancy search.

How about creating just one cache file, and only add used/evaluated expressions
to the cache?

Why? What don't you want remembered?

all the same text from different cache files.
btw, the cache isn't truncated if you don't delete the whole text. That means, if you select some
text and replace it with a shorter one, the play-cache files replaces only the beginning of the file.
Therefore, some of the text isn't even valid code anymore.

Cheers,
Doru

nicolai

"Every thing has its own flow"

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 11:56 PM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I see.

But it just caches the current text and if you remove the current text, the cache
file is deleted.

Indeed. You get a file per Playground. This is why the title of the playground can be relevant.

And it does not use just one file, but one for every opened playground with text.
And if you close the playground, without deleting the current text, you ' ll end
up with many (many many) cache files. (and it takes some time opening the
first playground after image start up).

Interesting. I have used this quite a lot and did not stumble across the opening delay problem. How many files do you have?

0, just deleted :)

But, does it still take long for you?

Pressing the little "..." icon shows an unscrollable large list with all the cache entries.
(even duplicate entries).

This will be replaced with a fancy search.

How about creating just one cache file, and only add used/evaluated expressions
to the cache?

Why? What don't you want remembered?

all the same text from different cache files.

Ok. So, you mean if I have exactly the same text, we should not cache it. That makes sense. Would that be enough for you? If so, could you open an issue for this?

btw, the cache isn't truncated if you don't delete the whole text. That means, if you select some
text and replace it with a shorter one, the play-cache files replaces only the beginning of the file.
Therefore, some of the text isn't even valid code anymore.

Oops. This is a bug. Can you open an issue?

Cheers,
Doru

Cheers,
Doru

nicolai

--

"Every thing has its own flow"

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: About the Playground cache

Ben Coman
Tudor Girba wrote:

>     How about creating just one cache file, and only add used/evaluated
>     expressions
>     to the cache?
>

> Why? What don't you want remembered?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru

ZnEasy get: 'https://www.google.com.au/webhp?search=sex+worker+jobs'

;) ??

Re: About the Playground cache

Stephan Eggermont-3
Hi Doru,

You might want to try it on a machine with a HD instead of SSD
Your machine is a few orders of magnitude faster in opening multiple small files

Stephan

Re: About the Playground cache

Nicolai Hess
GTPlayground cache does not truncate the current cache file

GTPlayground duplicate the number of cache files on image start/stop

Stephan