About the discussion on the old IDE

12

Re: About the discussion on the old IDE

basilmir
Nobody asked, but there is a reason to resist this change.

The "Legacy" IDE is actually too good to pass on just like that and Helios is not good enough to be worth the effort learning yet a new thing. 99% of the stuff I do now can be done with the "legacy" IDE because I'm trying to learn how to use Amber.

Not a developer myself, I'm a designer by trade only looking at Amber because I find Javascript syntax repulsive

The first feeling I got when I visited http://amber-lang.net was very very warm and luminous. I saw the big button Try Amber and I clicked it and the golden Browser appeared.

You have to understand that the Browser you call "Legacy" was a shock to me. I had never seen such a thing in Javascript development (these guys get excited when "the" new text editor has tabs). I clicked around and everything just worked, I found my own way around it. In less then ten minutes I understood where to write methods and classes and even made something actually do something on screen.

I really thought "I could really become good at this through practice" and that initial feeling kept me going and steadily grew to become the place I go to almost 5 hours a week, every week (this is a lot for something this new).

This is a huge thing for me, I can move something on a webpage, and the golden thing was there to help me. It's love. I actually like using it.

You can't really understand what I feel because I don't get it either. I tried learning Javascript and got good at it, jQuery was my friend, but that's like having text editing compared to Amber. Amber is my love, I actually tell other people about it. I am determined to use it to develop something for my clients, to give it a place, to use it so I can come back to it again and again. I want to forget I ever met Javascript, I want it to become what C is to Objective-C, a thing, that is there as a necessity.

To wrap up, I only used Helios once and the blue grey color scheme was bland. I clicked around and it seemed not that different. I remember it had a smaller popup window with some buttons and shortcuts I can't be exactly sure. There is this lingering memory that it actually did something I thought was cool but it seems I forgot what the thing was. My gut feeling is that it was still in beta somehow, lacked polish and visual appeal to make it an instant winner. I decided I'd go back to the golden IDE and revisit Helios later to check on the progress.

It wasn't that bad, but my feelings were mixed.

Now compare that to using you iPad to write readable code directly on the page you develop, in a thing they call a "Browser" that the Javascript community has never dared to dream up. And it comes in yellow and gold. It's love!

The golden IDE is not old, you can't deprecate it. It is new! For people coming from other worlds it's the greatest thing ever, keep it make it better give it Helios powers, call it the Classy IDE with Helios super powers, it shines through with golden superpowers!

PS. Willing to help bring polish to Helios and help it become resolution independent and usable on mobile devices, if you guys say it's worth it. Willing to take your word for it that it will deliver. As long as we save the good parts from the classic one and keep it in yellow and gold (and add a couple of well chosen other themes).

Pe 4 feb. 2015, la 15:24, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> a scris:

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

[hidden email] wrote:
Nicolas,

Thing is that in practice, most developers are using the Classic IDE...

The question is why. I see basically three reasons:

 - inertia (they don't want to learn new thing when current one works)
 - old Amber version (where Helios wasn't as usable)
 - conscious decision (they think Helios is worse)

My gut says most of them is in first pigeonhole, some of them still in second, and only part of them in third one. But there are no data.

I am using Helios.

It must be found what makes it so slow (especially Test Runner if it's open in parallel with Class Browsers) and fix it. To me it seems it's combination of Announcements' handler taking too much CPU plus eyecandy making things worse (progress bar animations are not really compatible with fast progress bar updates).

Is there any to profile things there? In Pharo we have a lot of things, but I am at a loss when it comes to Amber and Javascript performance tuning.
Hey, I want to learn.

Also, making Amber itself faster helps Helios being faster ("use strict" and inlinings).

One plus thing about Amber is that it provides a great framework for creating all kinds of tools that can be modeled with splitters and lists, and commands;
As such, it is very valuable to me because creating such tools is quite hard without some booster stage that Helios provides.

For me, Helios is not as much as an IDE only, but a toolkit to do web based tools for lots of use cases.

Phil

Phil

Le 4 févr. 2015 13:25, "Nicolas Petton" <[hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :

    Hi guys,

    This is my first post to this list in a long time. I feel like I
    need to
    express myself concerning the old IDE issue. It's mostly a copy/paste
    from this thread on github:

    https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-attic/issues/3#issuecomment-72740668

    I strongly disagree with putting effort into this. Getting the old IDE
    in a decent shape with half of the features Helios has will be a huge
    work.

    Not to mention splitting efforts in a small community is IMO not a
    good
    idea.

    Do not under-estimate the effort it will take to redo it. Because
    that's
    what this is about, redoing the same, again. Maybe slightly
    differently,
    but that's it. And you will face the same issues and technical
    problems
    that were faced when developing Helios.

    In your post @sebastianconcept you do not exactly say what it is that

  you don't like in Helios.

    You want context menus? That should be doable in a couple of
    hours. Helios uses commands, applyable in contexts, so it's easy to
    do. No keyboard required.

    There's no bottom pane support? That can be added in less than 10 loc
    (and it was there at some point).

    Speed is an issue? Well, it wasn't for me, but if it is, it should be
    fixed. And that will take much less time than making the old IDE
    as good
    as Helios in all other aspects.

    Maybe I'm missing something crucial, but for me as I see it currently
    this would just be a huge waste.

    Cheers,
    Nico
    --
    Nicolas Petton
    http://nicolas-petton.fr

---
Philippe Back
Visible Performance Improvements
Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium

Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast - http://spamcast.libsyn.com
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX Value Added Reseller

Re: About the discussion on the old IDE

sebastianconcept
OMG this is so inspiring!

The fact that you are a designer it makes it double value.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I hope you are interested in pairing on the repo of The Golden IDE to start doing some good taste small adjustments

If so please write me to:

It will be so much fun.

Looking forward to it!

<mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :

[...]

Manfred Kröhnert
Hello Sebastian,

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 1:00 AM, sebastian <[hidden email]> wrote:
OMG this is so inspiring!

The fact that you are a designer it makes it double value.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I hope you are interested in pairing on the repo of The Golden IDE to start doing some good taste small adjustments

If so please write me to:

It will be so much fun.

as one of your inner-circle veteran developers of Amber I feel like reminding you again that Amber is an OPEN source project.
And our success comes from open collaboration and open contributions.

Up to now we didn't have the need for closed groups and you certainly agree with me that it has worked out great so far.
Right?

Thanks,
Manfred

<mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :

[...]

Hello Mircea,

thank you and welcome to Amber.
This answer of yours is really awesome.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with Amber and its live IDE.

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Mircea S. <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I certainly know what you mean by looking back at my first encounters with Smalltalk.

What you describe is certainly of 'golden' value to us :-)
As you already mentioned, Helios is not in complete version 1.0 state and it would be extraordinarily great if you could jump on the moving train and help improve it.

Since Helios is completely styled with CSS it will not be very hard to bring that golden feeling to it.
If you need help in how to contribute or finding the right entry points we are more than happy to give you pointers.
The goal is to polish Helios and make it shine.

Thanks and have a nice day,
Manfred

<mailto:[hidden email]>> a écrit :

[...]

Herby Vojčík

Manfred managed to already reply more or less hoe I wsnted, but anyway.

Dňa 5. februára 2015 0:51:46 CET používateľ "Mircea S." <[hidden email]> napísal:
> Nobody asked, but there is a reason to resist this change.
>
> The "Legacy" IDE is actually too good to pass on just like that and
> Helios is not good enough to be worth the effort learning yet a new
> thing. 99% of the stuff I do now can be done with the "legacy" IDE
> because I'm trying to learn how to use Amber.

More and more things are added to Amber. And legacy IDE is not supported (that well, that's not to dau thay when something breaks it and can be fixed, it is), but Helios gets the first-class support for new features.

Package imports is the real-world example of this. Officially Amber team only supports Helios, supporting more would take more energy. Legacy IDE was put into tbe attic.

> The first feeling I got when I visited http://amber-lang.net was very
> very warm and luminous. I saw the big button Try Amber and I clicked
> it and the golden Browser appeared.

Is this the metaphor? IIRC it is white-grayish and only thing resembling gold is the icon, which is, wrll, amber.

> You have to understand that the Browser you call "Legacy" was a shock
> to me. I had never seen such a thing in Javascript development (these
> guys get excited when "the" new text editor has tabs). I clicked
> around and everything just worked, I found my own way around it. In

That is undeniable plus of the minimal design with opinionated defaults. Maybe having such opinionated defaults in Helios would also make things better: Having Workspace and SUnit Runner opened by default (a la pinned tabs in Chtome, that is, taking as little screen space in tabbar as possible), then one Browser and making adding new Browser easier and adding other pieces harder. Plus, clear "Ctrl+space to main menu" always written in the free space in tab bar, clickable.

> You can't really understand what I feel because I don't get it either.

We can, a bit. It is similar as when we got to know Smalltalk after those Basics, Pascals, Cs and Assemblers.

> I tried learning Javascript and got good at it, jQuery was my friend,
> but that's like having text editing compared to Amber. Amber is my
> love, I actually tell other people about it. I am determined to use it
> to develop something for my clients, to give it a place, to use it so
> I can come back to it again and again. I want to forget I ever met
> Javascript, I want it to become what C is to Objective-C, a thing,

ES6 and others (TC39 finally agreed on more frequent releases and will release annually) looks good.

> that is there as a necessity.
>
> To wrap up, I only used Helios once and the blue grey color scheme was
> bland. I clicked around and it seemed not that different. I remember
> it had a smaller popup window with some buttons and shortcuts I can't
> be exactly sure. There is this lingering memory that it actually did
> something I thought was cool but it seems I forgot what the thing was.

Lots of things that work in Helios:

You can save a method in other view (not sure of debugger, pretty sure of search view).
You can commit a package from any view with source code and the right one gets committed (think extension methods).

These two are enough to me to see Helios as much better to work with. But I am a developer, not a designer.

Plus, you see when commit finishes (a small growl like notice appears), similarly for recompilation (Compiler recompileAll in legacy IDE just does something and you generally wait until CPU load drops; in Helios you _see_ it happening).

> My gut feeling is that it was still in beta somehow, lacked polish and
> visual appeal to make it an instant winner. I decided I'd go back to
> the golden IDE and revisit Helios later to check on the progress.

It still has lots if issues, mainly UX
 As for functionality, it is far ahead.

> Now compare that to using you iPad to write readable code directly on
> the page you develop, in a thing they call a "Browser" that the
> Javascript community has never dared to dream up. And it comes in
> yellow and gold. It's love!

I would in fact thought of making Helios leaner and mobile-first. Though it seems crazy, who would develop in mobile, making things mobile-first tend to make them leaner and less monolithic which is always a plus.

> The golden IDE is not old, you can't deprecate it. It is new! For

It happened years ago. It is deprecated for long.

> people coming from other worlds it's the greatest thing ever, keep it
> make it better give it Helios powers, call it the Classy IDE with
> Helios super powers, it shines through with golden superpowers!

Nico is sceptical that this may happen because if how it was designed. It may as well be that it is faster to just write new minimal IDE or slim down Helios.

> PS. Willing to help bring polish to Helios and help it become
> resolution independent and usable on mobile devices, if you guys say
> it's worth it. Willing to take your word for it that it will deliver.

This is the best part. Yes, please! ;-)

> As long as we save the good parts from the classic one and keep it in
> yellow and gold (and add a couple of well chosen other themes).

Whatever. I want proportional fonts in source code editor. :-)

Herby

> [...]
> should be
> IDE

> currently

> it,
> >> lto:amber-lang%[hidden email]>.

> >> --
> >

> > --
> > ---
> > Philippe Back
> > Visible Performance Improvements
> > Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027
> > Mail:[hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu
> > Blog: http://philippeback.be | Twitter: @philippeback
> > Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/philippeback/videos
> >
> > High Octane SPRL
> > rue cour Boisacq 101 | 1301 Bierges | Belgium
> >
> > Pharo Consortium Member - http://consortium.pharo.org/
> > Featured on the Software Process and Measurement Cast -
> http://spamcast.libsyn.com
> > Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect and Ability Engineering EADocX

Hi Manfred,

Yes you are an Amber developer and Amber valuable contributor and I'm truly as grateful to all your commits and comments in different places as I am to other's.

The inner-circle I was referring to in that article, is not Amber's, is something else.

Is a group of people that intentionally do not include any Amber core contributors. That might sound really bad but is not. The idea behind it is to filter out the vices of the expert opinion to protect the creative process that can create something truly out of the box. The expert opinion is expected to come at a later stage. As far as I know, none of the core members of the Amber team is a designer (if I am wrong I ask to be corrected) and mixing them doesn't make sense.

And ia positively good because the output of that might be yet another open MIT arctifact added as open contribution to the Amber ecosystem. And if done rigth, would be one that makes a difference.

Might I alienate you or other Amber developers by saying and doing this? Maybe, but I embrace the notion that people here is really intelligent

Best

from mobile

> On 05/02/2015, at 06:35, Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> as one of your inner-circle veteran developers of Amber I feel like reminding you again that Amber is an OPEN source project.
> And our success comes from open collaboration and open contributions.
>
> Up to now we didn't have the need for closed groups and you certainly agree with me that it has worked out great so far.
> Right?
>
> Thanks,
> Manfred

Re: About the discussion on the old IDE

Alexis Argyris
Hello everybody,

Here's some feedback from a complete novice. I became aware of smalltalk, pharo, and amber last week. I started withHelios because it sounded more "modern" (it was not called "classic"). I never managed to do a commit, it kept complaining about the name space. I then switched to the classic IDE. All options were clearly visible, that was nice. I tried again to commit the same, pathetic, one line of smalltalk code that I tried in Helios. It worked! I was very encouraged. I never looked back. It's that simple...

Simple things should be simple, complex things should be doable

Alexis

PS By reading the comments above I understand that Helios does things by keyboard shortcuts, is that correct? Is this documented somewhere? What about the needs of new users?

Alexis Argyris wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Here's some feedback from a complete novice. I became aware of
> smalltalk, pharo, and amber last week. I started withHelios because it
> sounded more "modern" (it was not called "classic"). I never managed
> to do a commit, it kept complaining about the name space. I then
> switched to the classic IDE. All options were clearly visible, that
> was nice. I tried again to commit the same, pathetic, one line of
> smalltalk code that I tried in Helios. It worked! I was very
> encouraged. I never looked back. It's that simple...

Helios and legacy IDE both use the same Amber API when committing which involves namespaces. In other words, if Helios complained abot namespace, legacy IDE must have, too; and vice versa.

You must have done something more than just switched IDE.

> Simple things should be simple, complex things should be doable
>
> Alexis
>
> PS By reading the comments above I understand that Helios does things
> by
 keyboard shortcuts, is that correct? Is this documented somewhere?

> What about the needs of new users?
>

> On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 2:25:27 PM UTC+2, Nicolas Petton wrote:
>
>     Hi guys,
>
>     This is my first post to this list in a long time. I feel like I
>     need to
>     express myself concerning the old IDE issue. It's mostly a copy/paste
>     from this thread on github:
>
>     https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-attic/issues/3#issuecomment-72740668
>     <https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-attic/issues/3#issuecomment-72740668>
>

>     I strongly disagree with putting effort into this. Getting the old
>     IDE
>     in a decent shape with half of the features Helios has will be a huge
>     work.
>

>     Not to mention splitting efforts in a small community is IMO not a
>     good
>     idea.
>
>     Do not under-estimate the effort it will take to redo it. Because
>     that's
>     what this is about, redoing the same, again. Maybe
 slightly

>     differently,
>     but that's it. And you will face the same issues and technical
>     problems
>     that were faced when developing Helios.
>
>     In your post @sebastianconcept you do not exactly say what it is that
>     you don't like in Helios.
>
>     You want context menus? That should be doable in a couple of
>     hours. Helios uses commands, applyable in contexts, so it's easy to
>     do. No keyboard required.
>
>     There's no bottom pane support? That can be added in less than 10 loc
>     (and it was there at some point).
>
>     Speed is an issue? Well, it wasn't for me, but if it is, it should be
>     fixed. And that will take much less time than making the old IDE
>     as good
>     as Helios in all other aspects.
>
>     Maybe I'm missing something crucial, but for me as I see it currently
>     this would just be a huge waste.
>
>     Cheers,
>     Nico
>     --
>     Nicolas Petton
>     http://nicolas-petton.fr
>
> --
> You receive
d this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "amber-lang" group.

Re: About the discussion on the old IDE

basilmir
I've joined Gitter and the IRC channel. The group mailing list is already here.

On Github, which branch should I fork?

Pe 5 feb. 2015, la 10:45, Manfred Kröhnert <[hidden email]> a scris:

Mircea S. wrote:
> I've joined Gitter and the IRC channel. The group mailing list is
> already here.

I personally left IRC channel a few months ago, moving to gitter.

> On Github, which branch should I fork?

Repo meant, probably.

amber-smalltalk/helios

Re: About the discussion on the old IDE

basilmir
Great!!!

I only coded in the Classic IDE since I began using Amber. I have to check what version I'm using too, because I haven't upgraded lately.

I think it's important to note that by keeping the Classic IDE I mean we should try to keep the experience of it, reading it backwards, keeping my "experience of it" intact. And I only ever use the interface and buttons on a couple of devices.

I've never looked at its implementation and I've been quite happy just using it.

People complaining about the change probably have some code written that depends on the browser? I can't see any other reason to oppose Helios as it's outside appearance seems to mimic the classic one (and every other browser since the 80s). If the Browser doesn't have an official API (a group of methods guaranteed to be supported, like a protocol or something) this would be quite nasty for them I agree.

Was the Classic Browser ever designed as a reusable component like this?!

Pe 5 feb. 2015, la 12:41, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> a scris:

<[hidden email]>> a écrit :

[...]

Mob: <a href="tel:+32(0)%20478%20650%20140" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="26">+32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: <a href="tel:+32%20(0)%2070%20408%20027" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="telephone" x-apple-data-detectors-result="27">+32 (0) 70 408 027
Mail:phil@highoctane.be | Web: http://philippeback.eu

<[hidden email]>> a écrit :

[...]

User eXperience design - Notes

basilmir
I've joined the effort to make Amber better, Gitter, irc and all.

I'll post questions when the time comes.

As a first note:

1. The Smalltalk environment has been famous for using two-three button mice since the begining, and the interfaces designed around that have been littered with right-click and middle-click options. This kind of behaviour is notoriously hard to control on any device without mouse input (mobile tablets and phones, touch devices and so on)

A notorious example of this is a full blown CAD app for drawing architectural plans on an iPad. The developer used the iOS Simulator to test the app with a mouse and it worked well. However, install it on an real device and it's unusable, all that effort gone to waste. You can only view plans, drawing is impossible.

Programming is hard, rethinking UX is harder because when it's done you still have a lot of (re)programming to do.

When I started using Amber I was amazed of how well it worked on an iPad, I had used a Browser in Pharo and VA but this experience was great and different. Never in a million years had I imagined a Browser used on a webpage with touch input.

My conclusion is that it pays to think about this and integrate it from the begining, Amber will take another 2 years to mature fully and by the then mobile will grow even bigger.

PS. I remember running into Helios something in Pharo, is Helios IDE on Amber related somehow?

<[hidden email]>> a écrit :

[...]

Ok then. Right I was looking under amber-smalltalk/amber and seeing many branches there.

This is where the main Github link at the top takes you maybe that should point to the repos list.

Pe 5 feb. 2015, la 17:46, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> a scris:

> Mircea S. wrote:
>> I've joined Gitter and the IRC channel. The group mailing list is
>> already here.
>
> I personally left IRC channel a few months ago, moving to gitter.
>
>> On Github, which branch should I fork?
>
> Repo meant, probably.
>
> amber-smalltalk/helios

Re: About the discussion on the old IDE

basilmir
Ok it could stay the way it is, it's just me.

Pe 6 feb. 2015, la 17:44, Mircea S. <[hidden email]> a scris:

Mircea S. wrote:
> Ok it could stay the way it is, it's just me.
>

> Pe 6 feb. 2015, la 17:44, Mircea S.<[hidden email]>  a scris:
>
>> Ok then. Right I was looking under amber-smalltalk/amber and seeing many branches there.
>>
>> This is where the main Github link at the top takes you maybe that should point to the repos list.

Way back Amber was more monolithic so things were all in the amber repo. Then it got disentagled, modularized and extracted bit by bit, and Helios was one of those extractees. Now it is just an app (a bit specific) based on Amber and by default included as dev-dependency in every `amber init`-created project.

>> Pe 5 feb. 2015, la 17:46, Herby Vojčík<[hidden email]>  a scris:

>>> I personally left IRC channel a few months ago, moving to gitter.

>>> Repo meant, probably.
>

>>> amber-smalltalk/helios
>>>
>>> --
12