classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

About the migration from PackageInfo to RPackage

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

PackageInfo has a large APi that is often not used.
So I would suggest that we reduce the PackageInfo API first because it will lower the stress on RPackage to be offer a
compatible interface.
All the methods in the compatibility should somehow disappear or only serve as purpose to help temporary
backwards compat.

What do you think?

Stef
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: About the migration from PackageInfo to RPackage

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys

So I would suggest that we reduce the PackageInfo API first because it will lower the stress on RPackage to be offer a
compatible interface.
All the methods in the compatibility should somehow disappear or only serve as purpose to help temporary
backwards compat.

I agree. But if you want to remove in the future PackageInfo, then RPackage HAS to provide a way to get the classes/extension methods of a MCPackage. That's why I need #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods

What do you think?

Stef

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Reply | Threaded
|

RE : About the migration from PackageInfo to RPackage

Goubier Thierry
In reply to this post by Stéphane Ducasse
Hi Stef,

what would be the suggested API then ? And in announcements, would that change the returned type of some events (MCWorkingCopyCreated / MCWorkingCopyDeleted) ?

For Alt-Browser to navigate through the packages, I use MCWorkingCopy and PackageInfo. Is this the way it should be done ? Should I use RPackage instead ?

Thierry
Date d'envoi : dimanche 5 août 2012 13:28
À : [hidden email] Development
Objet : [Pharo-project] About the migration from PackageInfo to RPackage

Hi guys

compatible interface.
backwards compat.

What do you think?

Stef

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
In reply to this post by Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys

compatible interface.
backwards compat.

I agree. But if you want to remove in the future PackageInfo, then RPackage HAS to provide a way to get the classes/extension methods of a MCPackage. That's why I need #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods

Unless we attack MCPackage at the same time

What do you think?

Stef

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys

compatible interface.
backwards compat.

Unless we attack MCPackage at the same time

And do what?
you said in the issue tracker: "I believe that for tanker you should specify the exact package names..."

Well, of course, I can do it myself (in my own code) but if every person that needs to map MCPackages to RPackage does it in their own....

I don't care if you provide  #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods. What I think is a must if you want to remove PackageInfo is to provide a map between MCPackage and RPackage. I other words, say I have the MCPackage 'Fuel', how do I get the list of classes and extension methods? 

What do you think?

Stef

--
Mariano

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
>
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> PackageInfo has a large APi that is often not used.
> So I would suggest that we reduce the PackageInfo API first because it will lower the stress on RPackage to be offer a
> compatible interface.
> All the methods in the compatibility should somehow disappear or only serve as purpose to help temporary
> backwards compat.
>
>
> I agree. But if you want to remove in the future PackageInfo, then RPackage HAS to provide a way to get the classes/extension methods of a MCPackage. That's why I need #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods

Mariano if RPackage represents a MCPackage then RPackage offers all the correct queries to get the classes extended, method extensions and so
let me know if you do not see it because I payed extreme attention to that.

RPackage>>defineMethodsForClass:
        definedSelectorForClass:
        extendedClassames
        extendedClasses
        extensionMethods
        extensionMethodsForClass:
        extensionSelectors
        extensionSelectorsForClass:
        methodsForClass:
        selectorsForClass:

Let me repeat it. We do not need the compatibility layer.
Now it may be that (since rpackage was pushed fast in the image) that the importer from PackageInfo to Rpackage did not cover all the cases
but this is clearly another issue.

Stef

>
>
>
>
>  
> What do you think?
>
> Stef
>
>
>
> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
What Mariano means is that you can have MCPackage(X) containing categories X-A, X-B, X-C.  When that package is loaded today, three RPackages are created: X-A, X-B, X-C.  So RPackages are more mapped from categories that from MCPackages.

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> So I would suggest that we reduce the PackageInfo API first because it will lower the stress on RPackage to be offer a
> compatible interface.
> All the methods in the compatibility should somehow disappear or only serve as purpose to help temporary
> backwards compat.
>
>
> I agree. But if you want to remove in the future PackageInfo, then RPackage HAS to provide a way to get the classes/extension methods of a MCPackage. That's why I need #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods

Mariano if RPackage represents a MCPackage then RPackage offers all the correct queries to get the classes extended, method extensions and so
let me know if you do not see it because I payed extreme attention to that.

RPackage>>defineMethodsForClass:
        definedSelectorForClass:
        extendedClassames
        extendedClasses
        extensionMethods
        extensionMethodsForClass:
        extensionSelectors
        extensionSelectorsForClass:
        methodsForClass:
        selectorsForClass:

Let me repeat it. We do not need the compatibility layer.
Now it may be that (since rpackage was pushed fast in the image) that the importer from PackageInfo to Rpackage did not cover all the cases
but this is clearly another issue.

Stef

>
>
>
>
>
> What do you think?
>
> Stef
>
>
>
> --
> Mariano
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Goubier Thierry
> Hi Stef,
>
> what would be the suggested API then ?

All RPackage methods without the compatibility layer.

> And in announcements, would that change the returned type of some events (MCWorkingCopyCreated / MCWorkingCopyDeleted) ?
>
> For Alt-Browser to navigate through the packages, I use MCWorkingCopy and PackageInfo. Is this the way it should be done ? Should I use RPackage instead ?

yes.
We will remove PackageInfo. The first step will be to keep inside PackageInfo only the methods used. Then make sure that we can have the same behavior with
RPackage. MCWorkingCopy is just the repository for MC world.

> Thierry
> ________________________________________
> De : [hidden email] [[hidden email]] de la part de Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
> Date d'envoi : dimanche 5 août 2012 13:28
> À : [hidden email] Development
> Objet : [Pharo-project] About the migration from PackageInfo to RPackage
>
> Hi guys
>
> compatible interface.
> backwards compat.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Stef
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
I do not get why do you use MCPackage
There is ring for that and MCPackage one day will disappear.
        MCPAckage is just an internal abstraction of Monticello to represent a bunch a classes.
You confused me.

Fuel should be concerned about RPackage not MCPackage. MC should deal and build its MCPackage based on RPackage (now it is using PackageInfo)
Fuel should not be based on Monticello abstractions.

Stef

>
>
> And do what?
> you said in the issue tracker: "I believe that for tanker you should specify the exact package names..."
>
> Well, of course, I can do it myself (in my own code) but if every person that needs to map MCPackages to RPackage does it in their own....
>
>  I don't care if you provide  #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods. What I think is a must if you want to remove PackageInfo is to provide a map between MCPackage and RPackage. I other words, say I have the MCPackage 'Fuel', how do I get the list of classes and extension methods?
>
>  
>
>
>
>  
> What do you think?
>
> Stef
>
>
>
> --
> Mariano
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Mariano
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Guillermo Polito

On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> What Mariano means is that you can have MCPackage(X) containing categories X-A, X-B, X-C.  When that package is loaded today, three RPackages are created: X-A, X-B, X-C.  So RPackages are more mapped from categories that from MCPackages.

we decided that it will be one package with classes having corresponding tags.
But we should do it.
Again nothing should be mapped from MCPackages (MCPackages should not be used it is an internal class of MC).

> > PackageInfo has a large APi that is often not used.
> > So I would suggest that we reduce the PackageInfo API first because it will lower the stress on RPackage to be offer a
> > compatible interface.
> > All the methods in the compatibility should somehow disappear or only serve as purpose to help temporary
> > backwards compat.
> >
> >
> > I agree. But if you want to remove in the future PackageInfo, then RPackage HAS to provide a way to get the classes/extension methods of a MCPackage. That's why I need #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods
>
> Mariano if RPackage represents a MCPackage then RPackage offers all the correct queries to get the classes extended, method extensions and so
> let me know if you do not see it because I payed extreme attention to that.
>
> RPackage>>defineMethodsForClass:
>         definedSelectorForClass:
>         extendedClassames
>         extendedClasses
>         extensionMethods
>         extensionMethodsForClass:
>         extensionSelectors
>         extensionSelectorsForClass:
>         methodsForClass:
>         selectorsForClass:
>
> Let me repeat it. We do not need the compatibility layer.
> Now it may be that (since rpackage was pushed fast in the image) that the importer from PackageInfo to Rpackage did not cover all the cases
> but this is clearly another issue.
>
> Stef
>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Stef
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Mariano
> > http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
> >
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
AFAIK, we decided (because that was the best migration path possible), when you have packages X, X-A, X-B, X-C, just to keep package "X", then add class tags (A, B, C) to corresponding classes. Of course that also means that we need to update tools (nautilus) to show that tags, but thats no so difficult.

Esteban

On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Guillermo Polito wrote:
>
>> What Mariano means is that you can have MCPackage(X) containing categories X-A, X-B, X-C.  When that package is loaded today, three RPackages are created: X-A, X-B, X-C.  So RPackages are more mapped from categories that from MCPackages.
>
> we decided that it will be one package with classes having corresponding tags.
> But we should do it.
> Again nothing should be mapped from MCPackages (MCPackages should not be used it is an internal class of MC).
>
>
>
>>> PackageInfo has a large APi that is often not used.
>>> So I would suggest that we reduce the PackageInfo API first because it will lower the stress on RPackage to be offer a
>>> compatible interface.
>>> All the methods in the compatibility should somehow disappear or only serve as purpose to help temporary
>>> backwards compat.
>>>
>>>
>>> I agree. But if you want to remove in the future PackageInfo, then RPackage HAS to provide a way to get the classes/extension methods of a MCPackage. That's why I need #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods
>>
>> Mariano if RPackage represents a MCPackage then RPackage offers all the correct queries to get the classes extended, method extensions and so
>> let me know if you do not see it because I payed extreme attention to that.
>>
>> RPackage>>defineMethodsForClass:
>>        definedSelectorForClass:
>>        extendedClassames
>>        extendedClasses
>>        extensionMethods
>>        extensionMethodsForClass:
>>        extensionSelectors
>>        extensionSelectorsForClass:
>>        methodsForClass:
>>        selectorsForClass:
>>
>> Let me repeat it. We do not need the compatibility layer.
>> Now it may be that (since rpackage was pushed fast in the image) that the importer from PackageInfo to Rpackage did not cover all the cases
>> but this is clearly another issue.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mariano
>>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Goubier Thierry
Is this the reason why when I built my package tree in the AltBrowser, I get four packages (X, X-A, X-B, X-C) but X contains all the classes of X-A, X-B and X-C ?

Is this the reason why, in the current Alt-Browser packages, there is an auto-creation of an Alt package when you load it ?

I also get confused by the relation between class categories and packages. Is there a plan to get rid of class categories ? At the moment, if you create then unload a package, the system categories stay behind (Pharo 2.0).

Thierry
Date d'envoi : dimanche 5 août 2012 14:44
À : [hidden email]
Objet : Re: [Pharo-project] About the migration from PackageInfo to RPackage

AFAIK, we decided (because that was the best migration path possible), when you have packages X, X-A, X-B, X-C, just to keep package "X", then add class tags (A, B, C) to corresponding classes. Of course that also means that we need to update tools (nautilus) to show that tags, but thats no so difficult.

Esteban

On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>> What Mariano means is that you can have MCPackage(X) containing categories X-A, X-B, X-C.  When that package is loaded today, three RPackages are created: X-A, X-B, X-C.  So RPackages are more mapped from categories that from MCPackages.
>
> we decided that it will be one package with classes having corresponding tags.
> But we should do it.
> Again nothing should be mapped from MCPackages (MCPackages should not be used it is an internal class of MC).
>
>
>
>>> PackageInfo has a large APi that is often not used.
>>> So I would suggest that we reduce the PackageInfo API first because it will lower the stress on RPackage to be offer a
>>> compatible interface.
>>> All the methods in the compatibility should somehow disappear or only serve as purpose to help temporary
>>> backwards compat.
>>>
>>>
>>> I agree. But if you want to remove in the future PackageInfo, then RPackage HAS to provide a way to get the classes/extension methods of a MCPackage. That's why I need #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods
>>
>> Mariano if RPackage represents a MCPackage then RPackage offers all the correct queries to get the classes extended, method extensions and so
>> let me know if you do not see it because I payed extreme attention to that.
>>
>> RPackage>>defineMethodsForClass:
>>        definedSelectorForClass:
>>        extendedClassames
>>        extendedClasses
>>        extensionMethods
>>        extensionMethodsForClass:
>>        extensionSelectors
>>        extensionSelectorsForClass:
>>        methodsForClass:
>>        selectorsForClass:
>>
>> Let me repeat it. We do not need the compatibility layer.
>> Now it may be that (since rpackage was pushed fast in the image) that the importer from PackageInfo to Rpackage did not cover all the cases
>> but this is clearly another issue.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mariano
>>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Guillermo Polito wrote:

> What Mariano means is that you can have MCPackage(X) containing categories X-A, X-B, X-C.  When that package is loaded today, three RPackages are created: X-A, X-B, X-C.  So RPackages are more mapped from categories that from MCPackages.

we decided that it will be one package with classes having corresponding tags.
But we should do it.
Again nothing should be mapped from MCPackages (MCPackages should not be used it is an internal class of MC).

Ok, let me clarify something. First, let's decide where we discuss. Ok, here, not in the issue tracker. There you said: "You should not rely on MC layer for fuel.". First, it is not Fuel, it is Tanker. Second, the only think Tanker relies on is in a user-provided set of classes and extension methods. However, there is a separate package that helps using Tanker from RPackage or PackageInfo. Right now, if you have MCPackage X, and then categories X-A, X-B and X-C, then you have 3 RPackages. That's why I was talking about a "MCPackage mapping". If in the future, this is one RPackage then perfect. What I need to do is to have a RPackage for X where I ask classes and extension methods and it answers me also the included by its categories (X-A, X-B and X-C). To have that, is why I am using now #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods. 

> > PackageInfo has a large APi that is often not used.
> > So I would suggest that we reduce the PackageInfo API first because it will lower the stress on RPackage to be offer a
> > compatible interface.
> > All the methods in the compatibility should somehow disappear or only serve as purpose to help temporary
> > backwards compat.
> >
> >
> > I agree. But if you want to remove in the future PackageInfo, then RPackage HAS to provide a way to get the classes/extension methods of a MCPackage. That's why I need #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods
>
> Mariano if RPackage represents a MCPackage then RPackage offers all the correct queries to get the classes extended, method extensions and so
> let me know if you do not see it because I payed extreme attention to that.
>
> RPackage>>defineMethodsForClass:
>         definedSelectorForClass:
>         extendedClassames
>         extendedClasses
>         extensionMethods
>         extensionMethodsForClass:
>         extensionSelectors
>         extensionSelectorsForClass:
>         methodsForClass:
>         selectorsForClass:
>
> Let me repeat it. We do not need the compatibility layer.
> Now it may be that (since rpackage was pushed fast in the image) that the importer from PackageInfo to Rpackage did not cover all the cases
> but this is clearly another issue.
>
> Stef
>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Stef
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Mariano
> > http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
> >
>
>
>

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
In reply to this post by Goubier Thierry

On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:54 PM, GOUBIER Thierry wrote:

> Is this the reason why when I built my package tree in the AltBrowser, I get four packages (X, X-A, X-B, X-C) but X contains all the classes of X-A, X-B and X-C ?

Which package classes?
because MC use a pattern matching based on category names and explicitly MCworking copy

So if you declare an MC package we name X and X-A indeed you are in trouble.
The point with RPackage is to avoid the pattern matching approach of MC and to get rid of the scan of all categories.

> Is this the reason why, in the current Alt-Browser packages, there is an auto-creation of an Alt package when you load it ?
>
> I also get confused by the relation between class categories and packages. Is there a plan to get rid of class categories ?

yes

> At the moment, if you create then unload a package, the system categories stay behind (Pharo 2.0).
>
> Thierry

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Aug 5, 2012, at 3:18 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>
>
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> > What Mariano means is that you can have MCPackage(X) containing categories X-A, X-B, X-C.  When that package is loaded today, three RPackages are created: X-A, X-B, X-C.  So RPackages are more mapped from categories that from MCPackages.
>
> But we should do it.
>
> Ok, let me clarify something. First, let's decide where we discuss. Ok, here, not in the issue tracker. There you said: "You should not rely on MC layer for fuel.". First, it is not Fuel, it is Tanker. Second, the only think Tanker relies on is in a user-provided set of classes and extension methods. However, there is a separate package that helps using Tanker from RPackage or PackageInfo. Right now, if you have MCPackage X, and then categories X-A, X-B and X-C, then you have 3 RPackages. That's why I was talking about a "MCPackage mapping". If in the future, this is one RPackage then perfect. What I need to do is to have a RPackage for X where I ask classes and extension methods and it answers me also the included by its categories (X-A, X-B and X-C). To have that, is why I am using now #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods.

Mariano before RPackage fully works we cannot promise anything.
So I suggest to test tanker only on package without X-A patterns then in addition making progress on that front:
        - helping for package-info tag import
        - do not use MCPackage
        - do not use the compatibility layer of RPackage
Sorry but this is the only answer I have right now. First fixing the systemAnnouncer to fully work
then slowly checking packageInfo api
then cleaning PackageOrganizer
then rethinking the import of RPackage and map fucking categories to tags).
then ...

Stef
Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
Mariano

I would suggest not to add the system Tanker but to develop it outside for now.
Else we will have to change it all the time.

Stef

On Aug 5, 2012, at 3:18 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>
>
> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> > What Mariano means is that you can have MCPackage(X) containing categories X-A, X-B, X-C.  When that package is loaded today, three RPackages are created: X-A, X-B, X-C.  So RPackages are more mapped from categories that from MCPackages.
>
> But we should do it.
>
> Ok, let me clarify something. First, let's decide where we discuss. Ok, here, not in the issue tracker. There you said: "You should not rely on MC layer for fuel.". First, it is not Fuel, it is Tanker. Second, the only think Tanker relies on is in a user-provided set of classes and extension methods. However, there is a separate package that helps using Tanker from RPackage or PackageInfo. Right now, if you have MCPackage X, and then categories X-A, X-B and X-C, then you have 3 RPackages. That's why I was talking about a "MCPackage mapping". If in the future, this is one RPackage then perfect. What I need to do is to have a RPackage for X where I ask classes and extension methods and it answers me also the included by its categories (X-A, X-B and X-C). To have that, is why I am using now #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods.
>
>
>  
>
>
>
> > > PackageInfo has a large APi that is often not used.
> > > So I would suggest that we reduce the PackageInfo API first because it will lower the stress on RPackage to be offer a
> > > compatible interface.
> > > All the methods in the compatibility should somehow disappear or only serve as purpose to help temporary
> > > backwards compat.
> > >
> > >
> > > I agree. But if you want to remove in the future PackageInfo, then RPackage HAS to provide a way to get the classes/extension methods of a MCPackage. That's why I need #allDefinedClasses and #allDefinedExtensionMethods
> >
> > Mariano if RPackage represents a MCPackage then RPackage offers all the correct queries to get the classes extended, method extensions and so
> > let me know if you do not see it because I payed extreme attention to that.
> >
> > RPackage>>defineMethodsForClass:
> >         definedSelectorForClass:
> >         extendedClassames
> >         extendedClasses
> >         extensionMethods
> >         extensionMethodsForClass:
> >         extensionSelectors
> >         extensionSelectorsForClass:
> >         methodsForClass:
> >         selectorsForClass:
> >
> > Let me repeat it. We do not need the compatibility layer.
> > Now it may be that (since rpackage was pushed fast in the image) that the importer from PackageInfo to Rpackage did not cover all the cases
> > but this is clearly another issue.
> >
> > Stef
> >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > > Stef
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mariano
> > > http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Mariano
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Goubier Thierry
Well, what happened is that I renamed a package in Nautilus (from X-B to X-C, knowing there was already a X-A). It moved things from X-B to X-C, and created X as well.

Now I erase X working copy on a regular basis (it's the Alt package you get when you load Alt-Browser), noticing today thanks to the discussion that RPackage was keeping a copy of Alt as well, so I unregistered it today. I hope I finally got rid of it !

Thierry

Date d'envoi : dimanche 5 août 2012 17:47
À : [hidden email]
Objet : Re: [Pharo-project] About the migration from PackageInfo to RPackage

On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:54 PM, GOUBIER Thierry wrote:

> Is this the reason why when I built my package tree in the AltBrowser, I get four packages (X, X-A, X-B, X-C) but X contains all the classes of X-A, X-B and X-C ?

Which package classes?
because MC use a pattern matching based on category names and explicitly MCworking copy

So if you declare an MC package we name X and X-A indeed you are in trouble.
The point with RPackage is to avoid the pattern matching approach of MC and to get rid of the scan of all categories.

> Is this the reason why, in the current Alt-Browser packages, there is an auto-creation of an Alt package when you load it ?
>
> I also get confused by the relation between class categories and packages. Is there a plan to get rid of class categories ?

yes

> At the moment, if you create then unload a package, the system categories stay behind (Pharo 2.0).
>
> Thierry

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
Nautilus displays too many packages :)
We will have to fix that but ben is basically waiting for me to move on RPackage but I'm burnt on it.

Stef

On Aug 5, 2012, at 5:59 PM, GOUBIER Thierry wrote:

> Well, what happened is that I renamed a package in Nautilus (from X-B to X-C, knowing there was already a X-A). It moved things from X-B to X-C, and created X as well.
>
> Now I erase X working copy on a regular basis (it's the Alt package you get when you load Alt-Browser), noticing today thanks to the discussion that RPackage was keeping a copy of Alt as well, so I unregistered it today. I hope I finally got rid of it !
>
> Thierry
>
> De : [hidden email] [[hidden email]] de la part de Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
> Date d'envoi : dimanche 5 août 2012 17:47
> À : [hidden email]
> Objet : Re: [Pharo-project] About the migration from PackageInfo to RPackage
>
> On Aug 5, 2012, at 2:54 PM, GOUBIER Thierry wrote:
>
>> Is this the reason why when I built my package tree in the AltBrowser, I get four packages (X, X-A, X-B, X-C) but X contains all the classes of X-A, X-B and X-C ?
>
> Which package classes?
> because MC use a pattern matching based on category names and explicitly MCworking copy
>
> So if you declare an MC package we name X and X-A indeed you are in trouble.
> The point with RPackage is to avoid the pattern matching approach of MC and to get rid of the scan of all categories.
>
>> Is this the reason why, in the current Alt-Browser packages, there is an auto-creation of an Alt package when you load it ?
>>
>> I also get confused by the relation between class categories and packages. Is there a plan to get rid of class categories ?
>
> yes
>
>> At the moment, if you create then unload a package, the system categories stay behind (Pharo 2.0).
>>
>> Thierry
>> ________________________________________
>
>
>