About the value of Grease

garduino
Hi Guys:

I'm currently working almost only in Cuis and porting packages that we need there.

I have not experience using Grease (nor Slim) as tools to make more easy the maintenance of multidialect Smalltalk packages and want to ask experiences about it.

Any opinion will be of help to me.

Thanks.

Re: About the value of Grease

Janko Mivšek
Hi Germán,

Aida doesn't use Grease, just Sport for portability of Times, Files and
Sockets while for all other dialect specific methods there is a dialect
remark in method comment, like:

Object>>firstSessionFromStack
  "Squeak specific"

And there is also a special browser (VW only for now) to find all such
methods.

This happens to be simple and elegant but also effective method of
portable code. In my opinion Grease became too complex and invasive, so
it causes more trouble than it solves. With careful avoiding of any
nonportable code while marking the rest dialect specific methods as
shown above you achieve the same by much cleaner way.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko

Re: About the value of Grease

garduino
Hi Janko:

Thanks for the reply, it's interesting to know the opinion.

Thanks.

--
Janko Mivšek
Svetovalec za informatiko