Accessing HTTP servers, wininet.dll

Hasko Heinecke-2
To access HTTP servers, Windows provides wininet.dll. However, when I
try to load that in the component wizard, I get a walkback.

Should I be doing something else to do HTTPS POST requests? Why can I
not load the DLL?

Hasko

Re: Accessing HTTP servers, wininet.dll

Steve Waring-2
Hi Hasko,

> Should I be doing something else to do HTTPS POST requests?

The easiest way would be to use the IXMLHttpRequest interface which comes in
the base XML DOM package. This should be able to do secure posts, but has
documented problems, and requires that IE5 has been installed on the
machine.

If you are looking for a robust W2k/NT solution, have a look at;
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/sample.asp?url=/ms
dn-files/027/001/655/MsdnCompositeDoc.xml

I have been able to generate an interface for IWinHttpRequest and it works
well. It does support secure POSTs and the documentation has some examples.

>Why can I not load the DLL?

It doesnt have a type library. I was able to generate a type library from
its header file which I documented on the wiki at;
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/UsingActiveXToImportWininet.htm

The code is at;
http://www.chartexplorer.com/dolphin/SWFTPClient/winInet.html

I am no longer using this package myself. Wininet is not stable for server
environments, and I understand that microsoft will be replacing it with
WinHTTP.

Steve