Accounting framework?

Ken G. Brown
Does anyone know of a basic personal accounting framework in Squeak? I just want to be able to enter all general ledger items and keep everything over the years in a database that I could search through for various specific entries not knowing the year, total up how much I spent on various accounts over several years, that sort of thing.

Probably would also want to filter and export in a form I could read into a spreadsheet or another accounting program of the accountants choice. e.g. export all 2016 items.

It occurred to me that it might be a good way to gain experience with Magma.

Thx for any tips,
Ken G. Brown

Re: Accounting framework?

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Ken,

SmallPOS (http://www.squeaksource.com/SmallPOS.html) probably has what you want.  On the Squeaksource page its listed as GPLv3 but there was a discussion on the Pharo lists about relicensing it to MIT here:

http://forum.world.st/Status-of-SmallPOS-tp4649796p4909835.html

Hope this helps,

Paul

Ken G. Brown wrote
Does anyone know of a basic personal accounting framework in Squeak? I just want to be able to enter all general ledger items and keep everything over the years in a database that I could search through for various specific entries not knowing the year, total up how much I spent on various accounts over several years, that sort of thing.

Probably would also want to filter and export in a form I could read into a spreadsheet or another accounting program of the accountants choice. e.g. export all 2016 items.

It occurred to me that it might be a good way to gain experience with Magma.

Thx for any tips,
Ken G. Brown

Re: Accounting framework?

timrowledge

> On 22-06-2017, at 12:32 PM, Ken Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know of a basic personal accounting framework in Squeak?

A really, really long time ago there was some discussion about making a Squiken; simple Quicken in Squeak. I think it might have even been pre-2.0 though, so by now even the bits making up the relevant emails have probably decayed to assorted mesons.

tim
Strange OpCodes: YVR: Branch to Vancouver

Re: Accounting framework?

Simon Michael
Hi Ken,

https://gist.github.com/simonmichael/bb611dba654ccb1573e1 was a start at
implementing http://plaintextaccounting.org in Squeak, in case you might
be interested in that.

On 6/22/17 12:32 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> Does anyone know of a basic personal accounting framework in Squeak? I just want to be able to enter all general ledger items and keep everything over the years in a database that I could search through for various specific entries not knowing the year, total up how much I spent on various accounts over several years, that sort of thing.
>
> Probably would also want to filter and export in a form I could read into a spreadsheet or another accounting program of the accountants choice. e.g. export all 2016 items.
>
> It occurred to me that it might be a good way to gain experience with Magma.
>
> Thx for any tips,
> Ken G. Brown

Re: Accounting framework?

timrowledge

> On 23-06-2017, at 4:58 PM, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> https://gist.github.com/simonmichael/bb611dba654ccb1573e1 was a start at implementing http://plaintextaccounting.org in Squeak, in case you might be interested in that.

That’s a really interesting project. The fact that several projects have sprung from it means that there is likely a well-written explanation, which makes each additional project simpler. Shareable data format means no real cost to trying out stuff in a Squeak version, which is nice for important data. Being able to properly program regular tasks in a decent language (rather than AcmeAccountomaticScript (™) ) would be nice.

I dunno but it seems like there ought to be some synergy with Craig’s Caffeine stuff.

tim
Useful random insult:- One of the early failures of electroshock therapy.

Re: Accounting framework?

Ken G. Brown
Thx for the quick response, I’ll have a look.

        Ken

> On Jun 22, 2017, at 13:59, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Ken,
>

> SmallPOS (http://www.squeaksource.com/SmallPOS.html) probably has what you
> want.  On the Squeaksource page its listed as GPLv3 but there was a
> discussion on the Pharo lists about relicensing it to MIT here:
>
> http://forum.world.st/Status-of-SmallPOS-tp4649796p4909835.html
>

> Hope this helps,
>

> Paul
>

> Ken G. Brown wrote
>> Does anyone know of a basic personal accounting framework in Squeak? I
>> just want to be able to enter all general ledger items and keep everything
>> over the years in a database that I could search through for various
>> specific entries not knowing the year, total up how much I spent on
>> various accounts over several years, that sort of thing.
>>
>> Probably would also want to filter and export in a form I could read into
>> a spreadsheet or another accounting program of the accountants choice.
>> e.g. export all 2016 items.
>>
>> It occurred to me that it might be a good way to gain experience with
>> Magma.
>>
>> Thx for any tips,
>> Ken G. Brown

Re: Accounting framework?

Ken G. Brown
Thx for the tips everyone, it will take me some time to digest.
        Ken

> On Jun 23, 2017, at 18:11, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 23-06-2017, at 4:58 PM, Simon Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Ken,
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/simonmichael/bb611dba654ccb1573e1 was a start at implementing http://plaintextaccounting.org in Squeak, in case you might be interested in that.
>
> That’s a really interesting project. The fact that several projects have sprung from it means that there is likely a well-written explanation, which makes each additional project simpler. Shareable data format means no real cost to trying out stuff in a Squeak version, which is nice for important data. Being able to properly program regular tasks in a decent language (rather than AcmeAccountomaticScript (™) ) would be nice.
>
> I dunno but it seems like there ought to be some synergy with Craig’s Caffeine stuff.
>

> tim
> Useful random insult:- One of the early failures of electroshock therapy.

Re: Accounting framework?

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 22/06/17 21:32, Ken Brown wrote:
> Does anyone know of a basic personal accounting framework in Squeak?
> I just want to be able to enter all general ledger items and keep
> everything over the years in a database that I could search through
> for various specific entries not knowing the year, total up how much
> I spent on various accounts over several years, that sort of thing.

Anyone know what happened with Accounts?
ftp2.de.freebsd.org/pub/languages/smalltalk/st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/st80_vw/accounts/thesis.pdf

Stephan