ActiveX Component Wizard - able to generate documentation too?

ActiveX Component Wizard - able to generate documentation too?

Günther Schmidt
Hi,

can the ActiveX Component Wizard also generate documentation extracted
(from ...) along with the wrapper classes?

Guenther

Re: ActiveX Component Wizard - able to generate documentation too?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Günther,

> can the ActiveX Component Wizard also generate documentation extracted
> (from ...) along with the wrapper classes?

It might, but if failing that, you should be able to use my
PackageDocumentation goodie to generate something from the class and
method comments.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: ActiveX Component Wizard - able to generate documentation too?

Günther Schmidt
Dear Bill,

thanks, it's not quite what I meant though.

I was wondering if it was possible for the wizard to extract MS
documentation to the library (Office/Excel) and add it to the generated
class as documentation.

For some reason I thought that was possible, provided I have the
documentation for the library installed.

I mean through some sort of meachnism the wizard is able to query the
library about its properties and methods, so I thought maybe there is
also a mechanism for querying the library about available documentation
on properties/methods which could then used to (auto) add documentation
on the generated classes / methods.

Well I realize this is a rather vague question ;-) , but maybe someone
out there can read my mind.

Günther

Bill Schwab schrieb:

> Günther,
>
>> can the ActiveX Component Wizard also generate documentation extracted
>> (from ...) along with the wrapper classes?
>

> It might, but if failing that, you should be able to use my
> PackageDocumentation goodie to generate something from the class and
> method comments.
>
> Have a good one,
>
> Bill

Re: ActiveX Component Wizard - able to generate documentation too?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Günther,

> I mean through some sort of meachnism the wizard is able to query the
> library about its properties and methods, so I thought maybe there is
> also a mechanism for querying the library about available documentation
> on properties/methods which could then used to (auto) add documentation
> on the generated classes / methods.

It already does that, at least for the "help strings" (which are often
simply gratuitous restatements of the obvious, but that's not OA's
fault).  If you can point to more substantive help that is (or can be)
related to the type library, then hopefully there is, or will be, a way
to use it.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: ActiveX Component Wizard - able to generate documentation too?

Blair McGlashan-3
"Bill Schwab" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:cr58b4$rl6$[hidden email]...

> Günther,
>
>> I mean through some sort of meachnism the wizard is able to query the
>> library about its properties and methods, so I thought maybe there is
>> also a mechanism for querying the library about available documentation
>> on properties/methods which could then used to (auto) add documentation
>> on the generated classes / methods.
>
> It already does that, at least for the "help strings" (which are often
> simply gratuitous restatements of the obvious, but that's not OA's fault).
> If you can point to more substantive help that is (or can be) related to
> the type library, then hopefully there is, or will be, a way to use it.

There may be some reference to the contextual help in the help file, but
since this has no standard form, and is generally some form of rich text, it
is probably not appropriate to just paste it into the source of the wrapper
class. I suppose an expression could be added to method comments that could
be evaluted to bring up the context sensitive help, or going a bit further
if the method workspace supported links (probably by just treating all URLs
in comments as hyperlinks in much the same way as most mail readers do),
then there could be a hyperlink. I have to say though that I have often
found the helpcontext attributes on type library members to be incorrect, or
the help file is missing or not correctly referenced from the helpfile
attribute on the library element. Whatever the fault, it rarely seems to
work.

Regards

Blair

Re: ActiveX Component Wizard - able to generate documentation too?

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Blair,

> There may be some reference to the contextual help in the help file, but
> since this has no standard form, and is generally some form of rich text, it
> is probably not appropriate to just paste it into the source of the wrapper
> class. I suppose an expression could be added to method comments that could
> be evaluted to bring up the context sensitive help,

Another option would be a command on the method list and/or source
editor's context menu.

 > or going a bit further
> if the method workspace supported links (probably by just treating all URLs
> in comments as hyperlinks in much the same way as most mail readers do),
> then there could be a hyperlink.

That would be a useful feature in general, as might a generic "Smalltalk
  hyperlink" that would evaluate an expression (clearly the web link
could be a special case of the general mechanism).

 > I have to say though that I have often
> found the helpcontext attributes on type library members to be incorrect, or
> the help file is missing or not correctly referenced from the helpfile
> attribute on the library element. Whatever the fault, it rarely seems to
> work.

In the cases with missing information, you might be able to make an
initial guess based on the type library, and provide a way for the user
to edit the "link".

Happy New Year!

Bill

--