Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

Peter Hugosson-Miller
Hi there,

This is my first contribution to PharO :-)

I've followed the instructions on the "How to Contribute" page, and there is now a bunch of packages, and a SLICE-package that depends on all of them (named in the subject of this message) in the PharO inbox. One of the packages (KernelTests-PeterHugossonMiller.142.mcz) I have managed to miss the log message, but otherwise I believe I have done everything correctly. I attach screenshots of the TestRunner results run before and after my changes.

Please could someone review the changes and let me know how I did.

Peter

Before my changes:

Before_RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn.png

After my changes:
After_RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn.png

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

Stéphane Ducasse
Damien

can you have a look?
Thanks Peter :)

Excellent!

Stef

On Sep 2, 2009, at 6:21 PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> This is my first contribution to PharO :-)
>
> I've followed the instructions on the "How to Contribute" page, and
> there is now a bunch of packages, and a SLICE-package that depends
> on all of them (named in the subject of this message) in the PharO
> inbox. One of the packages (KernelTests-PeterHugossonMiller.142.mcz)
> I have managed to miss the log message, but otherwise I believe I
> have done everything correctly. I attach screenshots of the
> TestRunner results run before and after my changes.
>
> Please could someone review the changes and let me know how I did.

> Peter
>
> Before my changes:
>
> <Before_RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn.png>
>
> After my changes:
> <After_RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn.png>

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Loads fine for me, and tests remain unchanged.
Also seems like a reasonable change.
Will you do WriteStream on: and friends next? ;)

Cheers,
Henry

2009/9/2 Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]>
Loads fine for me, and tests remain unchanged.
Also seems like a reasonable change.
Will you do WriteStream on: and friends next? ;)

Cheers,
Henry

Sure, why not. I think it's quite a useful exercise to do a bit of the drudge work at the start, just to get used to how the whole contribution mechanism works, and maybe so that people will get used to seeing my name.

Peter

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

Adrian Lienhard
Welcome, Peter!

When you commit a change it would be good to also open an issue in the
tracker (and tell there which slice this is and in the slice comment
say which issue number it is). Like this it is easier to keep track of
changes.

Cheers,
Adrian

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Welcome, Peter!

When you commit a change it would be good to also open an issue in the
tracker (and tell there which slice this is and in the slice comment
say which issue number it is). Like this it is easier to keep track of
changes.

Cheers,
Adrian

Strange, I thought I had done that, but it was probably just the wrong part of the system (I'm just learning).

This is the issue I created for the slice: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1144 so could you please tell me what I should have done instead (or as well ;-))?

Thanks in advance,
Peter

On Sep 2, 2009, at 21:59 , Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Welcome, Peter!
>>
>> When you commit a change it would be good to also open an issue in
>> the
>> tracker (and tell there which slice this is and in the slice comment
>> say which issue number it is). Like this it is easier to keep track
>> of
>> changes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>
>> Strange, I thought I had done that, but it was probably just the
>> wrong part
> of the system (I'm just learning).
>
> This is the issue I created for the slice:
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1144 so could you
> please
> tell me what I should have done instead (or as well ;-))?

ah, I haven't noticed that you had created an issue already. It is
convenient to add the link in mails so people can quickly navigate to
an issue in question.

So, everything is perfect! ;)

Thanks,
Adrian

> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

I asked damien because I thought it was something he already did to
ease Nile integration.

On Sep 2, 2009, at 7:35 PM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

> Loads fine for me, and tests remain unchanged.
> Also seems like a reasonable change.
> Will you do WriteStream on: and friends next? ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> On Sep 2, 2009, at 6:21 35PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> This is my first contribution to PharO :-)
>>
>> I've followed the instructions on the "How to Contribute" page, and
>> there is now a bunch of packages, and a SLICE-package that depends
>> on all of them (named in the subject of this message) in the PharO
>> inbox. One of the packages (KernelTests-PeterHugossonMiller.
>> 142.mcz) I have managed to miss the log message, but otherwise I
>> believe I have done everything correctly. I attach screenshots of
>> the TestRunner results run before and after my changes.
>>
>> Please could someone review the changes and let me know how I did.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Peter
>>
>> Before my changes:
>>
>> <Before_RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn.png>
>>
>> After my changes:
>> <After_RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn.png>

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

Peter Hugosson-Miller
I'm going to submit a similar change for "WriteStream on:" later today  (replacing 216 occurrences!).

One reason I'm delaying is that I have found and fixed a few other bugs while doing the basic work, and I want to package those changes separately and have separate issue numbers for those.

The other reason is that the WriteStream changes do overlap this issue ( http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1144 ) in a couple of methods, so I want to wait until that one has been harvested/included so that I don't accidentally overwrite yesterday's changes with today's :-p

Peter

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

I'm integrating your changes.
Now I was wondering if somebody knows if it VW we get readStream too
because I would prefer to have a better message than readStream
        aCol asReadStream ?

What do you think?

Stef

On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:59 PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Welcome, Peter!
>
> When you commit a change it would be good to also open an issue in the
> tracker (and tell there which slice this is and in the slice comment
> say which issue number it is). Like this it is easier to keep track of
> changes.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> Strange, I thought I had done that, but it was probably just the
> wrong part of the system (I'm just learning).
>
> This is the issue I created for the slice: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1144
>  so could you please tell me what I should have done instead (or as
> well ;-))?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

Peter Hugosson-Miller
I don't know how this is done in VW, but in any case I would also prefer the method to be called #asReadStream, since it more clearly expresses the fact that there is a conversion happening.

In the same way, I would like to suggest the method SequenceableCollection>>#writeStream would be better named #asWriteStream, and I also think that the creation of a new method SequenceableCollection>>#asReadWriteStream would be a good idea.

Peter

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm integrating your changes.
Now I was wondering if somebody knows if it VW we get readStream too
because I would prefer to have a better message than readStream
       aCol asReadStream ?

What do you think?

Stef

On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:59 PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Welcome, Peter!
>
> When you commit a change it would be good to also open an issue in the
> tracker (and tell there which slice this is and in the slice comment
> say which issue number it is). Like this it is easier to keep track of
> changes.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> Strange, I thought I had done that, but it was probably just the
> wrong part of the system (I'm just learning).
>
> This is the issue I created for the slice: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1144
>  so could you please tell me what I should have done instead (or as
> well ;-))?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

csrabak
+1

Em 03/09/2009 11:46, Peter Hugosson-Miller < [hidden email] > escreveu:

>  I don't know how  this is done in VW, but in  any case I would also
> prefer the method to be  called #asReadStream, since it more clearly
> expresses the fact that there is a conversion happening.

>  In   the  same   way,  I   would   like  to   suggest  the   method
> SequenceableCollection>>#writeStream    would   be    better   named
> #asWriteStream, and I  also think that the creation  of a new method
> SequenceableCollection>>#asReadWriteStream would be a good idea.

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

Henrik Sperre Johansen
In VW, the methods are called readStream and writeStream.

Personally, I prefer that, as a method starting with as... to me indicates having created a new equivalent object, not just a wrapper which is used to access the original object.
There's a big difference between calling f.ex. _as_Array on an SequenceableCollection, then messing with the elements of the object returned, and doing the same with a method called asReadStream.

Cheers,
Henry

On Sep 3, 2009, at 4:46 13PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

I don't know how this is done in VW, but in any case I would also prefer the method to be called #asReadStream, since it more clearly expresses the fact that there is a conversion happening.

In the same way, I would like to suggest the method SequenceableCollection>>#writeStream would be better named #asWriteStream, and I also think that the creation of a new method SequenceableCollection>>#asReadWriteStream would be a good idea.

Peter

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm integrating your changes.
Now I was wondering if somebody knows if it VW we get readStream too
because I would prefer to have a better message than readStream
       aCol asReadStream ?

What do you think?

Stef

On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:59 PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Welcome, Peter!
>
> When you commit a change it would be good to also open an issue in the
> tracker (and tell there which slice this is and in the slice comment
> say which issue number it is). Like this it is easier to keep track of
> changes.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> Strange, I thought I had done that, but it was probably just the
> wrong part of the system (I'm just learning).
>
> This is the issue I created for the slice: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1144
>  so could you please tell me what I should have done instead (or as
> well ;-))?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

Henrik Sperre Johansen
Err,  please replace asReadStream with asWriteStream in that last sentence  :)

On Sep 4, 2009, at 12:04 55AM, Henrik Johansen wrote:

In VW, the methods are called readStream and writeStream.

Personally, I prefer that, as a method starting with as... to me indicates having created a new equivalent object, not just a wrapper which is used to access the original object.
There's a big difference between calling f.ex. _as_Array on an SequenceableCollection, then messing with the elements of the object returned, and doing the same with a method called asReadStream.

Cheers,
Henry

On Sep 3, 2009, at 4:46 13PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

I don't know how this is done in VW, but in any case I would also prefer the method to be called #asReadStream, since it more clearly expresses the fact that there is a conversion happening.

In the same way, I would like to suggest the method SequenceableCollection>>#writeStream would be better named #asWriteStream, and I also think that the creation of a new method SequenceableCollection>>#asReadWriteStream would be a good idea.

Peter

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm integrating your changes.
Now I was wondering if somebody knows if it VW we get readStream too
because I would prefer to have a better message than readStream
       aCol asReadStream ?

What do you think?

Stef

On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:59 PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Welcome, Peter!
>
> When you commit a change it would be good to also open an issue in the
> tracker (and tell there which slice this is and in the slice comment
> say which issue number it is). Like this it is easier to keep track of
> changes.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> Strange, I thought I had done that, but it was probably just the
> wrong part of the system (I'm just learning).
>
> This is the issue I created for the slice: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1144
>  so could you please tell me what I should have done instead (or as
> well ;-))?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

Schwab,Wilhelm K
I don't have a copy of VW handy, but Dolphin uses #readStream and #writeStream.  I agree that this is not really an #as* situation, even w/o the dialoect compatibility reasons against it.

Bill

In VW, the methods are called readStream and writeStream.

Personally, I prefer that, as a method starting with as... to me indicates having created a new equivalent object, not just a wrapper which is used to access the original object.
There's a big difference between calling f.ex. _as_Array on an SequenceableCollection, then messing with the elements of the object returned, and doing the same with a method called asReadStream.

Cheers,
Henry

On Sep 3, 2009, at 4:46 13PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

I don't know how this is done in VW, but in any case I would also prefer the method to be called #asReadStream, since it more clearly expresses the fact that there is a conversion happening.

In the same way, I would like to suggest the method SequenceableCollection>>#writeStream would be better named #asWriteStream, and I also think that the creation of a new method SequenceableCollection>>#asReadWriteStream would be a good idea.

Peter

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm integrating your changes.
Now I was wondering if somebody knows if it VW we get readStream too
because I would prefer to have a better message than readStream
       aCol asReadStream ?

What do you think?

Stef

On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:59 PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> Welcome, Peter!
>
> When you commit a change it would be good to also open an issue in the
> tracker (and tell there which slice this is and in the slice comment
> say which issue number it is). Like this it is easier to keep track of
> changes.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> Strange, I thought I had done that, but it was probably just the
> wrong part of the system (I'm just learning).
>
> This is the issue I created for the slice: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1144
>  so could you please tell me what I should have done instead (or as
> well ;-))?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Peter

Re: Added package SLICE-RemoveReferencesToReadStreamOn-PeterHugossonMiller.3 to PharoInbox

This is fun because

when I read col readStream

it takes me some milliseconds to process more than
        ReadStream on: col

now if the other smalltalk use readStream and writeStream we should
keep it like that because
it is a minor point.

Stef