Adding a graphic to a WebGrid

Rob Rothwell
Can you add a graphic to a cell in a WebGrid?

I am trying to draw attention to, or flag, certain elements in the list and would like to add a column that could contain a small graphic for those items.

Also, could you bold or change the color of the font for only certain items as well?

I know I could do this with a WebTable, but I would have to duplicate what the Grid is doing!

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Adding a graphic to a WebGrid

Janko Mivšek
HiRob,

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> Can you add a graphic to a cell in a WebGrid?
>
> I am trying to draw attention to, or flag, certain elements in the list
> and would like to add a column that could contain a small graphic for
> those items.
>
> Also, could you bold or change the color of the font for only certain
> items as well?
>
> I know I could do this with a WebTable, but I would have to duplicate
> what the Grid is doing!

You can prepare and put in a cell anything you want with:

        aGrid column: aNumber addBlock: aBlock

Block is called with a current row object as argument and it must return
a valid WebElement.

For instance let we put an arrow from existing method images in first
column:

    aGrid column: 1
          addBlock: [:rowObject | WebImage gif: #arrowCircledRedGif ]

This can also be used for coloring cell content appropriately. But for
coloring entire row you have some prepared methods too:

        rowBlueIfTrue: [:rowObject | "some boolean expresion"]
        rowGreenIfTrue:, rowRedIfTrue:, rowYellowIfTrue: rowGrayIfTrue:
        rowBoldIfTrue: "for whole row to be bold"

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can prepare and put in a cell anything you want with:

       aGrid column: aNumber addBlock: aBlock

Block is called with a current row object as argument and it must return a valid WebElement.

This is just what I was looking for!  Is there anything you haven't thought of yet?

For instance let we put an arrow from existing method images in first column:

       aGrid column: 1
         addBlock: [:rowObject | WebImage gif: #arrowCircledRedGif ]

That will do it!

This can also be used for coloring cell content appropriately. But for coloring entire row you have some prepared methods too:

       rowBlueIfTrue: [:rowObject | "some boolean expresion"]
       rowGreenIfTrue:, rowRedIfTrue:, rowYellowIfTrue: rowGrayIfTrue:
       rowBoldIfTrue: "for whole row to be bold"

Thank you...the WebGrid is truly useful.  What did you think of my post last weekend about handling nil values in a sortable column?  I just subclassed WebGrid for now, but it's nice to have the nil values sort without causing a DNU...

Thanks again.

Rob

P.S.  I have registered for Smalltalk Solutions; I'll take good notes and share what I pick up!

Best regards
Janko

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> This is just what I was looking for!  Is there anything you haven't
> thought of yet?

Answer is simple: when I needed something useful to simply my work, I
just made it. So, you can understand Aida as an act of laziness :)

> Thank you...the WebGrid is truly useful.  What did you think of my post
> last weekend about handling nil values in a sortable column?  I just
> subclassed WebGrid for now, but it's nice to have the nil values sort
> without causing a DNU...

I checked your patch for introduction into WebGrid. It seems soon.

> P.S.  I have registered for Smalltalk Solutions; I'll take good notes
> and share what I pick up!

Yes, please do that. I'm already inpatient!

Janko