Adding description doc for Catalog browser projects

Adding description doc for Catalog browser projects

kilon.alios
It has just occured me to that since meta repo is public and anyone can commit to it, is it ok if I add descriptions to projects that have none ? Because I am tried of seeing a project on Catalog Browser with no idea what it does.

But i thought to ask permission to edit other people's configurations, though I wont be touching the configurations themselves only add descriptions to projects I find interesting yet they have not description.

Is that ok with you ?

Re: Adding description doc for Catalog browser projects

NorbertHartl

> Am 04.01.2016 um 11:39 schrieb Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]>:
>
> It has just occured me to that since meta repo is public and anyone can commit to it, is it ok if I add descriptions to projects that have none ? Because I am tried of seeing a project on Catalog Browser with no idea what it does.
>
> But i thought to ask permission to edit other people's configurations, though I wont be touching the configurations themselves only add descriptions to projects I find interesting yet they have not description.
>
> Is that ok with you ?

Most of the configurations are just copied to the meta repo. They are usually kept in a project repo and copied from there. So your changes get easily lost. But you can provide the catalog methods to the author of the package. I think most are happy to include your changes.

Norbert

Re: Adding description doc for Catalog browser projects

kilon.alios
very good idea Nobert I will do that, and ever better post it here as well

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 12:53 PM Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 04.01.2016 um 11:39 schrieb Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]>:
>
> It has just occured me to that since meta repo is public and anyone can commit to it, is it ok if I add descriptions to projects that have none ? Because I am tried of seeing a project on Catalog Browser with no idea what it does.
>
> But i thought to ask permission to edit other people's configurations, though I wont be touching the configurations themselves only add descriptions to projects I find interesting yet they have not description.
>
> Is that ok with you ?

Most of the configurations are just copied to the meta repo. They are usually kept in a project repo and copied from there. So your changes get easily lost. But you can provide the catalog methods to the author of the package. I think most are happy to include your changes.

Norbert

Re: Adding description doc for Catalog browser projects

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 04-01-16 11:39, Dimitris Chloupis wrote:

> It has just occured me to that since meta repo is public and anyone can
> commit to it, is it ok if I add descriptions to projects that have none
> ? Because I am tried of seeing a project on Catalog Browser with no idea
> what it does.
>
> But i thought to ask permission to edit other people's configurations,
> though I wont be touching the configurations themselves only add
> descriptions to projects I find interesting yet they have not description.
>
> Is that ok with you ?

Adding descriptions to projects is very helpful.
Another thing that is helpful is checking the symbolic versions
(#stable, #development, #'releaseA.B') and adding #'pharo5.x' versions
(and #'pharo4.x') where that makes sense. Everywhere where #common
refers to an older version it is an improvement to do so. From the
version string of the method you can see what the current version of
pharo was at the time the configuration was updated. Actually trying to
load the configuration and reporting/fixing issues is of course even better.

Adding a new version of a configuration only in the meta repo is not so
helpful. It will get overwritten as soon as a new version is copied from
the original location. A lot of projects are writable though, so you can
just commit in the original repo and copy to the meta repos.
Just make sure the commit message explains what you changed.

If you make a change, you can copy the configuration to all the older
meta repos too (I'm not sure why ss3 is missing)

Stephan