Aida 6.0 under mit licence ?

Nicolas Petton
Hi all,

Stephan Pair asked a good question on Squeak mailing list. Why is Aida
released under LGPL licence, while most squeak tools are under MIT?

As you know LGPL is not very clear about code/image and such things, and
more important, squeakers somehow don't like this licence.

So, is there a good reason behind this ?

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: Aida 6.0 under mit licence ?

Janko Mivšek
Hi Nico,

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Stephan Pair asked a good question on Squeak mailing list. Why is Aida
> released under LGPL licence, while most squeak tools are under MIT?
>
> As you know LGPL is not very clear about code/image and such things, and
> more important, squeakers somehow don't like this licence.
>
> So, is there a good reason behind this ?

I just answered him: We can relicence to MIT or whatever else, because
for me all what is important is to use the code in accordance to the
main rule on our world: a Golden Rule:

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic_of_reciprocity

So, I propose that we make a relicensing to MIT, that those guys will be
satisfied at last. Do others agree?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Aida 6.0 under mit licence ?

Jimmie Houchin-3
Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hi Nico,
>
> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>
>> Stephan Pair asked a good question on Squeak mailing list. Why is Aida
>> released under LGPL licence, while most squeak tools are under MIT?
>>
>> As you know LGPL is not very clear about code/image and such things, and
>> more important, squeakers somehow don't like this licence.
>>
>> So, is there a good reason behind this ?
>
> I just answered him: We can relicence to MIT or whatever else, because
> for me all what is important is to use the code in accordance to the
> main rule on our world: a Golden Rule:
>
>      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic_of_reciprocity
>
> So, I propose that we make a relicensing to MIT, that those guys will be
> satisfied at last. Do others agree?

Yes. I believe MIT license is much more within the spirit of the
Smalltalk community. And as such, I believe this will open doors and
some minds to the option and availability of Aida/Scribo.

My suggestion would be to make a new release, maybe 6.0 alpha/beta/???
whatever and release it under the MIT license. This would make a clean
line of separation as to what is covered under what license.

Thank you very much for considering doing this. I honestly believe it
would be a good decision and one which will benefit Smalltalk and
Aida/Scribo.

Jimmie

Re: Aida 6.0 under mit licence ?

garduino
I'm so new here, learning Aida in the little free time I've and can't
say what you must to do with your product, but licensing under MIT
license surely will help to have a broader consideration inside the
Squeak community.

Just an opinion.

Cheers.

2008/3/14, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]>:

> Janko Mivšek wrote:
>  > Hi Nico,
>  >
>  > Nicolas Petton wrote:
>  >
>  >> Stephan Pair asked a good question on Squeak mailing list. Why is Aida
>  >> released under LGPL licence, while most squeak tools are under MIT?
>  >>
>  >> As you know LGPL is not very clear about code/image and such things, and
>  >> more important, squeakers somehow don't like this licence.
>  >>
>  >> So, is there a good reason behind this ?
>  >
>  > I just answered him: We can relicence to MIT or whatever else, because
>  > for me all what is important is to use the code in accordance to the
>  > main rule on our world: a Golden Rule:
>  >
>  >      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic_of_reciprocity
>  >
>  > So, I propose that we make a relicensing to MIT, that those guys will be
>  > satisfied at last. Do others agree?
>

> Yes. I believe MIT license is much more within the spirit of the
>  Smalltalk community. And as such, I believe this will open doors and
>  some minds to the option and availability of Aida/Scribo.
>
>  My suggestion would be to make a new release, maybe 6.0 alpha/beta/???
>  whatever and release it under the MIT license. This would make a clean
>  line of separation as to what is covered under what license.
>
>  Thank you very much for considering doing this. I honestly believe it
>  would be a good decision and one which will benefit Smalltalk and
>  Aida/Scribo.
>

>  Jimmie

Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz