Aida Wish List

garduino
Hi:

On #aida irc frequently we talk about things we would love to see on Aida but the most of times only remains on talks.

I would suggest to have a wiki page or so to add things that the developers wish to have on Aida (of course the same may be with Scribo).

Having them write don't make sure that we will have, but at least they are documented and discussed.

I would start with the next:

* Swazoo/Scribo Morphic Console (Myself developing, by now the working version is http://scribo.aidaweb.si/repository/scribo-console-gsa.5.mcz)

* Magritte integration

* Some tools as SeaBreeze or SmallFaces.

* Gemstone/Magma integration.

Well, what do you think about?

Cheers.

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz

Re: Aida Wish List

Janko Mivšek
Hi Germán, others,

Germán Arduino wrote:

> On #aida irc frequently we talk about things we would love to see on
> Aida but the most of times only remains on talks.
>
> I would suggest to have a wiki page or so to add things that the
> developers wish to have on Aida (of course the same may be with Scribo).

This is good idea, let we open an Aida SPM and a Wish list page there.
Also we need to make a nice inter-site registration process for a single
logon as well.

> Having them write don't make sure that we will have, but at least they
> are documented and discussed.
>
> I would start with the next:
>
> * Swazoo/Scribo Morphic Console (Myself developing, by now the working
> version is http://scribo.aidaweb.si/repository/scribo-console-gsa.5.mcz)

This is important as a small step towards more user friendliness of
forthcoming Scribo, because usability is currently our main goal for
next beta.

> * Magritte integration

Not really integration but support in a separate package, which you
start using when your problem became really so complex to justify
introducing Magritte. By default we don't need it. We need to keep Aida
and Scribo simple, because we have just too big advantage here.

In my opinion Pier fate is such just because they integrated Magritte
for a just too simple task for it. End result is excessive complexity in
front of the user, who in majority seeks just a simple CMS solution. We
need to approach such users with simplicity, but later let them choose
tools for more complex solutions as well. At that time Magritte came
into picture, IMO.

> * Some tools as SeaBreeze or SmallFaces.

I see so called Scaffolding as something we can introduce in Aida quite
easily for the start. Scaffoling means that with a tool you generate all
  stubs for your code, which is usually most boring and mundane task at
the start. Later you continue with normal development. See "Scaffolding
for GemStone" screencast about a tool made by Gerhard Obermann:

        http://vimeo.com/2231019

Tools like SeaBreeze are also to be considered, but such tools need to
be introduced carefully, we see just too many such visual tools which
after a big investment in development time failed at the end.

For instance, I don't see how SeaBreeze can deal with  component based
development, which is a cornerstone for both Aida and Seaside. If we'd
therfore go that way, we need to answer this question first, in advance.

> * Gemstone/Magma integration.

Aida is already ported to Gemstone while Scribo not yet. Magma is also
welcome, but it would be just nice if Magam would be ported to some
other dialect too. Otherwise it will have a hard time against up to 4GB
free Gemstone.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Aida Wish List

garduino
Hi Janko, list:

Well, my first motivation, more than the details of the points, was to point the need of have a "Wish List" somewhere. :)

About the details, some comments between your lines:

2008/11/18 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>

This is good idea, let we open an Aida SPM and a Wish list page there.
Also we need to make a nice inter-site registration process for a single
logon as well.

Fantastic!

> * Swazoo/Scribo Morphic Console (Myself developing, by now the working
> version is http://scribo.aidaweb.si/repository/scribo-console-gsa.5.mcz)

This is important as a small step towards more user friendliness of
forthcoming Scribo, because usability is currently our main goal for
next beta.

Well, I will continue developing as soon as I get a bit of free time. It's first on my open source to-do list priorities.

> * Magritte integration

Not really integration but support in a separate package, which you
start using when your problem became really so complex to justify
introducing Magritte. By default we don't need it. We need to keep Aida
and Scribo simple, because we have just too big advantage here.

In my opinion Pier fate is such just because they integrated Magritte
for a just too simple task for it. End result is excessive complexity in
front of the user, who in majority seeks just a simple CMS solution. We
need to approach such users with simplicity, but later let them choose
tools for more complex solutions as well. At that time Magritte came
into picture, IMO.

Ok, I understand your point. I was talking exactly about such thing: Non trivial applications.

> * Some tools as SeaBreeze or SmallFaces.

I see so called Scaffolding as something we can introduce in Aida quite
easily for the start. Scaffoling means that with a tool you generate all
 stubs for your code, which is usually most boring and mundane task at
the start. Later you continue with normal development. See "Scaffolding
for GemStone" screencast about a tool made by Gerhard Obermann:

       http://vimeo.com/2231019

Yes, I saw Scaffolding, look very interesting.

Tools like SeaBreeze are also to be considered, but such tools need to
be introduced carefully, we see just too many such visual tools which
after a big investment in development time failed at the end.

For instance, I don't see how SeaBreeze can deal with  component based
development, which is a cornerstone for both Aida and Seaside. If we'd
therfore go that way, we need to answer this question first, in advance.

Understand. I was pointing more that the functionality of SeaBreeze, tools that help to reduce the development time. A visual composition of (boring) things as tables, input texts, etc are ever useful imho.

> * Gemstone/Magma integration.

Aida is already ported to Gemstone while Scribo not yet. Magma is also
welcome, but it would be just nice if Magam would be ported to some
other dialect too. Otherwise it will have a hard time against up to 4GB
free Gemstone.

Very very good point. I was trying to establish priorities to focus the ever limited
free time to learn new things. Indeed with your comment, the first option is then Gemstone.

Cheers.
Germán.

Re: Aida Wish List

Rob Rothwell
Hello all,

Just wanted to see what anyone thought of my latest idea, given that someone had already worked on a Morphic Interface to start and stop Aida.

How about a Morphic grid that allows you to relatively place your domain model attributes in them and set the type of WebElement you wanted to use to display the attribute, give it a label, etc...?

It would be quite useful for straightforward business apps, I think.

Anyway, without starting a WebStyle war, it would be quite simple for these layouts to be "generated" since it would all be relative table placement, something Aida excels at.

At any rate, I was finally thinking about learning enough Morphic to take a stab at it in my spare time, and just wondered what anyone else thought.

Take care,

Rob

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 8:08 AM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

development, which is a cornerstone for both Aida and Seaside. If we'd
therfore go that way, we need to answer this question first, in advance.

Understand. I was pointing more that the functionality of SeaBreeze, tools that help to reduce the development time. A visual composition of (boring) things as tables, input texts, etc are ever useful imho.

> * Gemstone/Magma integration.

Aida is already ported to Gemstone while Scribo not yet. Magma is also
welcome, but it would be just nice if Magam would be ported to some
other dialect too. Otherwise it will have a hard time against up to 4GB
free Gemstone.

Very very good point. I was trying to establish priorities to focus the ever limited
free time to learn new things. Indeed with your comment, the first option is then Gemstone.

Hi Rob:

Today we talked about this topic of Morphic on irc, and I tell my opinion that is really bad, complicated and time consuming.

I love Squeak, but....develop UI on Morphic is (to me at least) really a pain.

Trivial things as change attributes, align, etc need lot of time and really I would prefer to use such time on things more specfic of the domain and not with these things. And add the fact that the UI isn't that the most of users want to see on final users applications.

But, is what we've in these days on Squeak at dektop UI level.

Your idea is interesting to me.

Cheers.
Germán.

2008/11/18 Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]>
> [...]

development, which is a cornerstone for both Aida and Seaside. If we'd
therfore go that way, we need to answer this question first, in advance.

Understand. I was pointing more that the functionality of SeaBreeze, tools that help to reduce the development time. A visual composition of (boring) things as tables, input texts, etc are ever useful imho.

> * Gemstone/Magma integration.

Aida is already ported to Gemstone while Scribo not yet. Magma is also
welcome, but it would be just nice if Magam would be ported to some
other dialect too. Otherwise it will have a hard time against up to 4GB
free Gemstone.

Very very good point. I was trying to establish priorities to focus the ever limited
free time to learn new things. Indeed with your comment, the first option is then Gemstone.

Stefan Schmiedl
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:30:37 -0200
"Germán Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Trivial things as change attributes, align, etc need lot of time and
> really I would prefer to use such time on things more specfic of the
> domain and not with these things. And add the fact that the UI isn't
> that the most of users want to see on final users applications.

What exactly is it that you want to achieve with the GUI?
I remember folks asking for an easy way to start and stop
their AIDA server.

I vote for *no* GUI.

If you're working within your Smalltalk GUI already, you
might already have a workspace with some useful one-liners
in it. Click and do-it.

If the server is deployed, you *should not* be required to use
high-bandwidth and complex setup software like VNC or remote
X or desktop. I have putty.exe on the USB in my pocket for the
occasional Windows PCs I'm meeting, ssh is on every unix based
platform out there.

Some simple command line based ways to start/stop/reset
a site would be the most convenient. Something like

$ aida 'site' start|stop|restart|clear-cache|...

What more do you need?

Just making Smalltalk,
s.

Re: Aida Wish List

Rob Rothwell
German,

I have never developed anything in Morphic yet, so I value anyone's opinion who has!  I wondered if Chris Muller's Maui would be a place to start, though, just to get something going.

I only thought of this because I am working with a product written in VW that is nothing short of an object based persistence solution built specifically to map ANY data source to the object model.

Anyway, they have a nice, simple little GUI that let's you map your domain attributes to a relative placement on the page, along with an interface for setting the various properties of the widgets.

I am NOT trying to add anything to Aida, but rather am toying around with the idea of building something on top of Aida, and was just looking for some intput!

Thanks,

Rob

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:30 PM, Germán Arduino <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

development, which is a cornerstone for both Aida and Seaside. If we'd
therfore go that way, we need to answer this question first, in advance.

Understand. I was pointing more that the functionality of SeaBreeze, tools that help to reduce the development time. A visual composition of (boring) things as tables, input texts, etc are ever useful imho.

> * Gemstone/Magma integration.

Aida is already ported to Gemstone while Scribo not yet. Magma is also
welcome, but it would be just nice if Magam would be ported to some
other dialect too. Otherwise it will have a hard time against up to 4GB
free Gemstone.

Very very good point. I was trying to establish priorities to focus the ever limited
free time to learn new things. Indeed with your comment, the first option is then Gemstone.

Nicolas Petton

> I am NOT trying to add anything to Aida, but rather am toying around
> with the idea of building something on top of Aida

Yes, this kind of external package could be nice for some users,
especially beginners, but it should stay as an external tool.

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida Wish List

Janko Mivšek
Hi Rob,

I think you are looking for something like SeaBreeze then?

        http://seabreeze.heeg.de/?screenshots

The other thing which would be achieved even easier is a scaffolding
support for Aida apps, to start with those mundane inital tasks fast,
then polish your app to the final one.

Janko

Rob Rothwell wrote:

> [...]
>                 Seaside. If we'd
>                 therfore go that way, we need to answer this question
>                 first, in advance.
>

>             Understand. I was pointing more that the functionality of
>             SeaBreeze, tools that help to reduce the development time. A
>             visual composition of (boring) things as tables, input
>             texts, etc are ever useful imho.
>

>                  > * Gemstone/Magma integration.
>
>                 Aida is already ported to Gemstone while Scribo not yet.
>                 Magma is also
>                 welcome, but it would be just nice if Magam would be
>                 ported to some
>                 other dialect too. Otherwise it will have a hard time
>                 against up to 4GB
>                 free Gemstone.
>

>             Very very good point. I was trying to establish priorities
>             to focus the ever limited
>             free time to learn new things. Indeed with your comment, the

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:30:37 -0200
> "Germán Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Trivial things as change attributes, align, etc need lot of time and
>> really I would prefer to use such time on things more specfic of the
>> domain and not with these things. And add the fact that the UI isn't
>> that the most of users want to see on final users applications.
>
> What exactly is it that you want to achieve with the GUI?
> I remember folks asking for an easy way to start and stop
> their AIDA server.
>
> I vote for *no* GUI.

I also vote no for GUI tool to build web apps. We need to have a web
tool for building web apps.

About that start/stop GUI console, this is just for newbies to ease them
  first steps into Scribo CMS. Remember, these users usually won't be
Smalltalkers, so we shoud provide them such entry points like a simple
start button in a simple one-click Scribo distribution.

Janko

> If you're working within your Smalltalk GUI already, you
> might already have a workspace with some useful one-liners
> in it. Click and do-it.
>
> If the server is deployed, you *should not* be required to use
> high-bandwidth and complex setup software like VNC or remote
> X or desktop. I have putty.exe on the USB in my pocket for the
> occasional Windows PCs I'm meeting, ssh is on every unix based
> platform out there.
>
> Some simple command line based ways to start/stop/reset
> a site would be the most convenient. Something like
>
> $ aida 'site' start|stop|restart|clear-cache|...
>
> What more do you need?
>
> Just making Smalltalk,
> s.

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida Wish List

Stefan Schmiedl
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:24:45 +0100
Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also vote no for GUI tool to build web apps. We need to have a web
> tool for building web apps.

which is only appropriate for a lisp-based webapp framework,
because of the recursiveness :-)

> About that start/stop GUI console, this is just for newbies to ease
> them first steps into Scribo CMS. Remember, these users usually won't
> be Smalltalkers, so we shoud provide them such entry points like a
> simple start button in a simple one-click Scribo distribution.

hmm... If you're targeting the "one-click-newbie" here,
we're talking about a local test environment on a linux
or windows box. Assuming the one-click Scribo is based
on Squeak, the world window will be open, where a
nice workspace with a short explanation on how to handle
these tasks would be visible.

IIRC, squeaks introductory workspaces even had clickable
smalltalk code samples.

Easy to implement, no external tools required.

s.

Re: Aida Wish List

Nicolas Petton
Le mercredi 19 novembre 2008 à 22:24 +0100, Stefan Schmiedl a écrit :

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:24:45 +0100
> Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I also vote no for GUI tool to build web apps. We need to have a web
> > tool for building web apps.
>
> which is only appropriate for a lisp-based webapp framework,
> because of the recursiveness :-)
>
> > About that start/stop GUI console, this is just for newbies to ease
> > them first steps into Scribo CMS. Remember, these users usually won't
> > be Smalltalkers, so we shoud provide them such entry points like a
> > simple start button in a simple one-click Scribo distribution.
>
> hmm... If you're targeting the "one-click-newbie" here,
> we're talking about a local test environment on a linux
> or windows box. Assuming the one-click Scribo is based
> on Squeak, the world window will be open, where a
> nice workspace with a short explanation on how to handle
> these tasks would be visible.
If I remember correctly, in the Scribo-1.0beta one click image, there is
already such workspace opened.

> IIRC, squeaks introductory workspaces even had clickable
> smalltalk code samples.
>
> Easy to implement, no external tools required.

I think that's the idea behind ScriboConsole package, a simple tool to
start/stop Scribo without any external tool required.

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida Wish List

Rob Rothwell
Janko,

Umm...definitely the Scaffolding...it's a MUCH better version of what I showed I was working on last summer.  Not sure about SeaBreeze...I mean, yes, that would work, and was what I was asking about last February or so, but in the spirit of "getting something done" I guess I was just thinking of Scaffolding with a little boost to allow relative placement of the controls.  Maybe it does that, though, and I just couldn't tell from the screencast...

Rob