Aida and WebWidget

HilaireFernandes
Hello there,

I continue my learning of Aida, with reusable component.
http://blog.drgeo.eu/post/2015/WebWidget-in-question

So far so good.

I more than welcome feedbacks to improve my understanding.

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Aida and WebWidget

Janko Mivšek
Hi Hilaire,

Just read your blog posts and I like to thank you for your effort. You
certainly describe nicely the main Aida goal: to hide all Ajax and other
JavaScript stuff from the programmer, allow him to concentrate on the
problem and solve it in pure Smalltalk. Ajax is just 10 years old, it
should be long a 'non-issue' already :)

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web

Re: Aida and WebWidget

HilaireFernandes
Thanks Janko.

I hope more people could interact here.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Aida and WebWidget

Søren skogstad nielsen
Hi Hilaire...
I read it.
If you, hopefully, continue to document your journey in AIDA.
It would have been very good for me to study, when I started my own journey for nearly two years ago.
And now have a working App.
(The App is a platform for Interactive fiction with integrated sounds, and pictures where the server for  runs a Dolphin Smalltalk image)
AIDA is a tool with so many fine things for a Smalltalker going to the web.
So more tutorial material from a newcomer to AIDA like that, you have started, would be very helpfull for everybody.
And your blog layout is just so nice !

Regards

The world is just one big friendly surprise-
Søren Skogstad Nielsen
tlf: 50994638

--
Dr. Geo - <a href="http://drgeo.eu" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fdrgeo.eu\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHXTbMMx0pReG44OSxWCMHO-Y7z_w';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fdrgeo.eu\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHXTbMMx0pReG44OSxWCMHO-Y7z_w';return true;">http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - <a href="http://istoa.drgeo.eu" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fistoa.drgeo.eu\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHSRSYPtRziafCAjNiebjeiCauCrQ';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fistoa.drgeo.eu\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHSRSYPtRziafCAjNiebjeiCauCrQ';return true;">http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Aida and WebWidget

Janko Mivšek
Hi Søren,

Nice to hear that! And about your app too. And it would be just nice if
we can put  a screenshot or even a link to it to the
http://www.aidaweb.si/success-stories ...

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida and WebWidget

HilaireFernandes
Hi Søren

Thanks for the interests. When I'll find out interesting stuff, I will
continue to write notes then.

As Janko, I am curious about your web application.
I am also curious to read from other, what are you doing with Aida? It
could lead to interesting exchanges and discussion.

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Aida and WebWidget

Søren skogstad nielsen
Hi Hilaire
A short note concerning the archetecture of my PicturesInYourHead app.
In interactive fiction the story unfolds depending on the activity of the reader, the reader 'reads', then decides for some response and the next section of text
is presented depending of this response.
In the PicturesInYourHead app. The server may respond on
one Textual channel, two sound channels and three image channels.
The channels may be updated each time the user responds.
Furthermore the authoring platform makes it possible to set up delayed action events on server side.
When such an event occurs one or more channels may have to be updated too.
-------
I knew Smalltalk but had no knowledge of  Server or Web architecture, HTML or CSS.
But studying the AIDA architecture and bolts and nuts - ' How is this happening?', 'Can I copy this trick?'  i ended up with
the following architecture of the client server interface:
--------
1 Sound channels
The server maintains two queues of soundfiles to play.
Whenever the client observes it has no sound to play/playing it asks the server to deliver one.
This request is set up through a timer controlled ajax (soundhandling itself needed javascript, was not that simple)
I could not use a page refresh, because ongoing playing sounds was then disturbed, (repeated/ truncated/stopped).
2 Image channels
The server will update each channel at each reader response if needed.
I use an Ajax construct for that, so only the Image page elements are updated
because a page refresh would disturb an ongoing sound.
3 Textual channels
This channel is updated through ajax too, to just change this channels element on the page.
4 Delayed events on server side.
This is actually 'COMET' architecture i suppose.
A timed request is repeatedly sent to the server from the client.
And if a delayed event has happened, the server will ask the channels to update the client.

Here is a link to the non web parts of the platform (Warning everything is in danish) ;-)
http://picturesinyourhead.vpweb.dk/
many regards
Søren

--
Dr. Geo - <a href="http://drgeo.eu" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fdrgeo.eu\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHXTbMMx0pReG44OSxWCMHO-Y7z_w';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fdrgeo.eu\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHXTbMMx0pReG44OSxWCMHO-Y7z_w';return true;">http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - <a href="http://istoa.drgeo.eu" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fistoa.drgeo.eu\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHSRSYPtRziafCAjNiebjeiCauCrQ';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fistoa.drgeo.eu\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHSRSYPtRziafCAjNiebjeiCauCrQ';return true;">http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Aida use case

HilaireFernandes
Hi Søren,

I changed the subject to match the discussion topic.
Your project looks like an interesting one, do you have any screen shot
or video to share with us?

Which exact version of Aida are you using?
I guess you have the Desktop editor developed with Dolphin as well?

Thanks

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Aida use case

Søren skogstad nielsen

Hi Hilaire
Thanks for your interest in the PicturesInYourHead app !
Here is a single screen shot where the user is caught populating his library with an Interactive fiction story.
More screenshots can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PicturesInYourHead/
A screencast video will show up later in this facebook group.
The project uses the AIDA 6.0 Dolphin Version. Ported by Bruno Buzzi Brasesco I should say I am very thankfull to Bruno for this work :-)
And to Janko for the AIDA platform of course!
The combined editor/presenter is written in Dolphin 6.03.
In the following link you will find a lot of instruction videos which presents the facillities.
of the editor part. http://picturesinyourhead.vpweb.dk/Vejledninger-og-videoer.html
Video 3 and video 7 presents many of the facillities. Video 0 presents principles and exerpts of three interactive fiction stories.

Concerning the architecture I forgot to mention that I created a proxy layer between the Dolphin generated windows and views and the channels to  the browser.
This Idea turned out to work very well.
Many regards
Søren