Aida-based single page web application

Jaroslav Havlín
Hello all,

I have just deployed a testing version of a single-page web
application based on Aida/Web framework, CellStore/XML database and
Smalltalk/X platform.
It is a web client for the XML database, that introduces some
interesting (I hope) things that can be done with Aida.

- support for complete AJAX updating (callback links, automatic
detection of updated elements, unlimited number of elements updated
after single AJAX request)
- integration of reallysimplehistory into Aida (back button support
for AJAX applications)
- form elements with custom conversion, validation and failure handling
- AJAX form submitting
- support for both modern and text browsers

Download page for document that describes the web client, the most
important part is chapter 7 - Implementation:
http://cellstore.felk.cvut.cz/browser/doc/graduate_theses/Jaroslav_Havlin/havlin_thesis.pdf
(I'm sorry for my English)

HTML version of the document:
http://www.havlin.info/node7.html#SECTION00710000000000000000

! Live demo (At least I hope it is going to be alive for a while :-) ):
http://174.143.26.45:8080/

(Please, do not upload big files. Only XML files are supported so far.
The page was tested with Firefox and MSIE browsers. With Firefox it
works, with MSIE not.
The database does not support concurrent users, and it may cause problems.
Concurrent usage has not been tested yet - please, be tolerant if
something fails.
Reloading the page can sometimes solve one's problems)

Source code:
http://sites.google.com/site/jaroslavhavlin/cellstore,
http://cellstore.felk.cvut.cz/browser/service_http/trunk

The application stores the state on the server-side, which brings many
disadvantages. But it makes partial page updating very simple.
Any comments and suggestions welcome.
I will be glad if you let me know what you think.

Best wishes,
 Jarda

Re: Aida-based single page web application

Herbert König
Hi Jaroslav,

JH> It is a web client for the XML database, that introduces some
JH> interesting (I hope) things that can be done with Aida.

thank you very much for sharing this. I've read it from cover to cover
and will have to revisit it. I feel you have covered some very
important parts in making a web application (stress on application)
and clearly pointed out the weak points.

Aida's slogan "This is how the Web works" is nothing an application
user wants to hear if his application which happens to run in a
browser behaves unexpectedly. Your work is a good step towards
alleviating this.

Are you aware of the work being done by Alex Baran on the problem you
state in 3.3.3.1?

JH> - support for complete AJAX updating (callback links, automatic
JH> detection of updated elements, unlimited number of elements updated
JH> after single AJAX request)
JH> - integration of reallysimplehistory into Aida (back button support
JH> for AJAX applications)
JH> - form elements with custom conversion, validation and failure handling
JH> - AJAX form submitting
JH> - support for both modern and text browsers

These IMO are very valuable extensions for Aida! Maybe only from my
point of view who wants to create a web _application_ but I think the
concept, that the programmer does not need to care about which
elements to update is of general usefulness.

JH> Download page for document that describes the web client, the most
JH> important part is chapter 7 - Implementation:
JH> http://cellstore.felk.cvut.cz/browser/doc/graduate_theses/Jaroslav_Havlin/havlin_thesis.pdf
JH> (I'm sorry for my English)

In your initial chapters you give a good overview and some valuable
details on Aida, actually I think this is a part that is still missing
in Aida documentation. I was missing such a thing. Thank you!

JH> Source code:
JH> http://sites.google.com/site/jaroslavhavlin/cellstore,
JH> http://cellstore.felk.cvut.cz/browser/service_http/trunk

Is there a way to get the whole source instead of picking it from the
page in small pieces? BTW I just downloaded STX, it seems from there I
can directly get at your code.

JH> I will be glad if you let me know what you think.

Great! Though I haven't groked it fully it will have influence on my
own app.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Aida-based single page web application

Giuseppe
In Safari doesn't works too.

El 16/05/2009, a las 23:26, Jaroslav Havlín escribió:

> Hello all,
>
> I have just deployed a testing version of a single-page web
> application based on Aida/Web framework, CellStore/XML database and
> Smalltalk/X platform.
> It is a web client for the XML database, that introduces some
> interesting (I hope) things that can be done with Aida.
>
> - support for complete AJAX updating (callback links, automatic
> detection of updated elements, unlimited number of elements updated
> after single AJAX request)
> - integration of reallysimplehistory into Aida (back button support
> for AJAX applications)
> - form elements with custom conversion, validation and failure
> handling
> - AJAX form submitting
> - support for both modern and text browsers
>
> Download page for document that describes the web client, the most
> important part is chapter 7 - Implementation:
> http://cellstore.felk.cvut.cz/browser/doc/graduate_theses/Jaroslav_Havlin/havlin_thesis.pdf
> (I'm sorry for my English)
>
> HTML version of the document:
> http://www.havlin.info/node7.html#SECTION00710000000000000000
>

> ! Live demo (At least I hope it is going to be alive for a
> while :-) ):
> http://174.143.26.45:8080/
>
> (Please, do not upload big files. Only XML files are supported so far.
> The page was tested with Firefox and MSIE browsers. With Firefox it
> works, with MSIE not.
> The database does not support concurrent users, and it may cause
> problems.
> Concurrent usage has not been tested yet - please, be tolerant if
> something fails.
> Reloading the page can sometimes solve one's problems)
>
> Source code:
> http://sites.google.com/site/jaroslavhavlin/cellstore,
> http://cellstore.felk.cvut.cz/browser/service_http/trunk
>
> The application stores the state on the server-side, which brings many
> disadvantages. But it makes partial page updating very simple.
> Any comments and suggestions welcome.
> I will be glad if you let me know what you think.
>
> Best wishes,
> Jarda

Imagen 1.png (238K) Download Attachment

Re: Aida-based single page web application

Janko Mivšek
Ahoj Jarda,

Well, that was something, an unexpectedly perfect event when I saw your
mail and looked at your thesis. It contains almost a book about Aida!
And so fresh and intellectually honest view on it. I must say I enjoyed
reading every line. And I learned a lot by myself about Aida. Yep,
really, a perfect mirror. I still need to look closer at your web app
but from what I saw and read so far it is a really valuable contribution
to Aida.

Thanks you a lot for all your work and I hope you'll continue in the
future too. As Herbert already said the next step would be that you,
Aleks and Herbert look together about your approaches to action blocks
(callbacks), so that we will come out with one and as best as possible
solution. I'll also look about your validation support, which is in my
mind for a while, and of course Ajax multi-element update support,
that's something we need to address soon too.

What can be helpful for you already is a new execution context support
in beta2. Also the complete isolation of Ajax requests is solved now (no
more relying on #lastRequest and lastApp), so just by porting to beta2
can solve many of problems you mentioned.

So far for now, more later...

Best regards
Janko

Jaroslav Havlín pravi:

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Aida-based single page web application

Giuseppe
I think you can add the thesis to the Documentation section as an
example of modelling a real application with Aida/web.

I only had time to see the PDF a little, but looks very good documented.

El 17/05/2009, a las 11:42, Janko Mivšek escribió:

> [...]
>> Concurrent usage has not been tested yet - please, be tolerant if
>> something fails.
>> Reloading the page can sometimes solve one's problems)
>>
>> Source code:
>> http://sites.google.com/site/jaroslavhavlin/cellstore,
>> http://cellstore.felk.cvut.cz/browser/service_http/trunk
>>
>> The application stores the state on the server-side, which brings
>> many
>> disadvantages. But it makes partial page updating very simple.
>> Any comments and suggestions welcome.
>> I will be glad if you let me know what you think.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Jarda
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida-based single page web application

I have mistakenly sent this message from a bad email address before,
and I'm not sure you have received it. If you have, sorry for
duplicating.
 Jarda

Dear Janko, Herbert and Giuseppe,

thank you very much for your feedback, I'm really honored.

I will look closer at Alex Baran's solution, thanks for tip.

I'm sorry for the poor browser support, I had to finish the work quickly,
and testing the same thing with many browsers is not interesting job that
could be described in the text :-) I hope I will be able to fix the problems.

I would like to continue with this work in the future, but now I have to
intensively prepare for final exams. I will then, I hope, look at new
features in
beta2 and try to port them to Smalltalk/X.

If you like any part of the source code or the text, feel free to use it.

Sorry for the late answer. I had to try a fresh installation of
Smalltalk/X with CellStore,
to be sure it works.

Kind regards,
 Jarda

P.S. Could I, please, cite your reactions in the appendix of the thesis? :-)

Installation of Smalltalk/X with CellStore, Sport, Swazoo and Aida

For full instructions with more options (debian packages), see
http://cellstore.felk.cvut.cz/wiki/ForDevelopers

Smalltalk/X with required SVN support can downloaded from here:
http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/download/smalltalkx/smalltalk-5.4.4.20090421svn_linux.tar.bz2
!!! This is unofficial release of Smalltalk/X for testing only !!!

Make sure a SVN client is installed in the system.

Unpack the archive into a directory:
tar xvjf smalltalk-5.4.4.20090421svn_linux.tar.bz2

One directory must be removed because of a bug! This is important step.
rm -rf smalltalk-5.4.4.20090421svn_linux/lib/smalltalkx/5.4.4/packages/stx/goodies/xmlsuite

Run STX
./smalltalk-5.4.4.20090421svn_linux/bin/stx

In the Launcher, in menu select Tools -> Load Project,
click Update List from network, select CellStore and click Load.
During the loading of classes, some dialogs will appear that will ask
for a branch of the
source code.
In the first dialog, for cellstore/core, select the second choice -
/branches/self-model/.
In other dialogs, select the first choice - /trunk/

To start Swazoo web server and CellStore databae,
do "CellStore::HTTPWizard start" (do not forget to stop it later),
or click the button with cells in the Launcher.
Then run browser with http://localhost:8888/

We know this installation process is not very comfortable, but it is
only development version. So, please, be
tolerant.

Re: Aida-based single page web application

Herbert König
Hi Jarda,

JH> P.S. Could I, please, cite your reactions in the appendix of the thesis? :-)

feel free.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Aida-based single page web application

Janko Mivšek
Giuseppe Luigi Punzi Ruiz pravi:

> I think you can add the thesis to the Documentation section as an
> example of modelling a real application with Aida/web.

Good idea. Jaroslav, is there a final version of your thesis or should
we wait a bit?

> I only had time to see the PDF a little, but looks very good documented.

Indeed. And if Jaroslav make Aida part as a standalone article, this
would be just perfect :)

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida-based single page web application

Janko Mivšek
Herbert König pravi:
> Hi Jarda,
>
> JH> P.S. Could I, please, cite your reactions in the appendix of the thesis? :-)
>
> feel free.

From me too!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida-based single page web application

Jaroslav Havlín
Hello,

> Good idea. Jaroslav, is there a final version of your thesis or should
> we wait a bit?

The text was slightly extended, but the part about implementation has
not changed. It is completed now, I will probably only correct
mistakes in the future.

> Indeed. And if Jaroslav make Aida part as a standalone article, this
> would be just perfect :)

Of course, that would be no problem. Is extracting the Aida part as
PDF document enough? Or is there a wiki for Aida where I could place
it, so that anybody could improve it? Or should I export it as HTML
pages? Just tell me please what is the proper way.

Cheers,
 Jarda