Aida, first impressions and questions ?

cedreek
Hi all,

First of all, I thing you should do the squeak.org, especially because
you've shown interest ;-)

I can't say I've used Aida so far. Just I'm curious about some point.
The first one is about design, the second about code repository and
the last one about magritte...

(1) What is the strategy for design? is it xtml compliant (It seems
the whole page is in a table (e cell...) but I must be wrong? How do
you manage css,  declare class and id for instance (I haven't find it
tutorials) ? Maybe it's template based... Scribo looks nices (Nico
blog). It seems you're compatible with some css template out there
(wordpress, joomla)... Are you ?

I come from seaside and used to the way html tags are written. Could
we imagine aida be compliant ? Maybe it's not possible nor
interesting, but I guess this will ease transition (for developpers)
back and forth between the two web-framewoks (for wrinting views).

(2) development seems to be done in vw. Is there a squeaksource
account for aida? Maybe this would be interesting, especially if
squeak.org becomes aida based... I also think a lot of documentation
is available on the web site and the squeak code should reflect
that... Could be in class comments (and maybe package comment-though
nothing really exist for that)...
As a sumup to (2), if a developper wants to join, how can he updates
and submits code from squeak ?

(3) Magritte is a meta-description framework. It's independant of
seaside even if probably all users are seaside users. Morph is another
option but only basic proof of concept. So, I was wondering if this
could be a good idea to offer bindings to aida...
Observee is to me a sort of description (less constrained) straight to
the model. Do you think the description abstraction would be
interesting for Aida (roughly: object encapsulation, with validation
facilities and memento) or maybe you have your proper design patterns
for that ?
This could be used as : self obervee asComponent, etc..

Thanks for answers and pardon my bad understanding of Aida

Cédrick

ps: I hope I could help especially for points 2 (commenting code as I
discover it) and eventully 3 when my understanding is better, but
unfortunately I have no time left (I already spend too much time in
sqeak, but I guess I'm addicted ;-)  )... But who knows next year, if
I stay around...

ps2: I tried the tutorial in the last webimage (damien's) but could
get the url to work. I think there are some conflicts  (between Kom
and Swazoo)... This could be nice to add a small preamble to the
tutorial to make it work nicely from web developer images's...

Re: Aida, first impressions and questions ?

Nicolas Petton
Hi cedrick,

> Hi all,
>
> First of all, I thing you should do the squeak.org, especially because
> you've shown interest ;-)
It on its way :)

> I can't say I've used Aida so far. Just I'm curious about some point.
> The first one is about design, the second about code repository and
> the last one about magritte...
>
> (1) What is the strategy for design?
There is a special class WebStyle which handle that. WebStyle has a lot
of convenience methods to make this easy. You should look at it.
>  is it xtml compliant (It seems
> the whole page is in a table (e cell...) but I must be wrong? How do
> you manage css,  declare class and id for instance (I haven't find it
> tutorials) ?

Like seaside, Aida has components called WebElement, with #class: and
#id: methods.
WebElement new class: #MYClass or WebElement new id: #MyId.

>  Maybe it's template based... Scribo looks nices (Nico
> blog)
Thanks :)
> . It seems you're compatible with some css template out there
> (wordpress, joomla)... Are you ?
Yes, in Aida 5.6 there are 3 classes for Joomla templates support.
Unfortunately Scribo is not compatible yet (we are working on it).

> I come from seaside and used to the way html tags are written. Could
> we imagine aida be compliant ? Maybe it's not possible nor
> interesting, but I guess this will ease transition (for developpers)
> back and forth between the two web-framewoks (for wrinting views).

Well, it's not the same, but it is close. WebElement in Aida/Web is like
WAComponent in Seaside. Even if methods are not the same, they're close.

> (2) development seems to be done in vw.
It was true, but it is not anymore. Development is done mostly in Squeak
(at least for me, but Janko will probably switch to Squeak too soon),
and we try to keep things sync as mush as possible.

There is a squeaksource repo dedicated to Aida:
http://mc.bioskop.fr
>  Is there a squeaksource
> account for aida? Maybe this would be interesting, especially if
> squeak.org becomes aida based... I also think a lot of documentation
> is available on the web site and the squeak code should reflect
> that... Could be in class comments (and maybe package comment-though
> nothing really exist for that)...
> As a sumup to (2), if a developper wants to join, how can he updates
> and submits code from squeak ?

Yes, the Squeaksource project has public write access.

> (3) Magritte is a meta-description framework. It's independant of
> seaside even if probably all users are seaside users. Morph is another
> option but only basic proof of concept. So, I was wondering if this
> could be a good idea to offer bindings to aida...

We are thinking about it, but it not sure for now. Especially, would
Magritte be useful in Aida? Well, it is under discussion.

> Observee is to me a sort of description (less constrained) straight to
> the model.

No, it is the Observer pattern, not a description of your domain object.
> Do you think the description abstraction would be
> interesting for Aida (roughly: object encapsulation, with validation
> facilities and memento) or maybe you have your proper design patterns
> for that ?
Yes, there are methods for validation, see WebApplication>>error: and
others related methods.

> This could be used as : self obervee asComponent, etc..
>
> Thanks for answers and pardon my bad understanding of Aida

> Cédrick
>
> ps: I hope I could help especially for points 2 (commenting code as I
> discover it) and eventully 3 when my understanding is better, but
> unfortunately I have no time left (I already spend too much time in
> sqeak, but I guess I'm addicted ;-)  )... But who knows next year, if
> I stay around...
>
> ps2: I tried the tutorial in the last webimage (damien's) but could
> get the url to work. I think there are some conflicts  (between Kom
> and Swazoo)... This could be nice to add a small preamble to the
> tutorial to make it work nicely from web developer images's...
Just stop WAKom first...

Salut Cédrick,

Nico
--