Aida logo proposals - second round

Holger Kleinsorgen-4
Hello,

my favourite is the one in the topleft corner, closely followed by the
logo in the bottomright corner. Or maybe the topleft one combined with
the white logo of the bottomright one, so that "AIDA" is highlighted.

Cheers, Holger

Re: Aida logo proposals - second round

Janko Mivšek
Hi Holger, welcome to the list!

Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

> my favourite is the one in the topleft corner, closely followed by the
> logo in the bottomright corner. Or maybe the topleft one combined with
> the white logo of the bottomright one, so that "AIDA" is highlighted.

So most of you like the leaf, so we can proceed with a leaf based design.

But let we just discuss a bit stylistic A design a bit too. Try too look
at them again and maybe again after an hour,  then describe your
feelings. Do the same also for leaf based designs. You'll see that you
have a bit different feelings comparing to a first impression you had.

Remember, best designs are not necessary nice on first impression!

        http://www.aidaweb.si/logo/proposals.html

Best regards
JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Aida logo proposals - second round

giorgiof
OK, Janko,
Like good red wine that come better after 1 hour of opening the bottle.... (if not all gone yet...)
so my preferred now is only one: bottom right (below swazoo).

That will make some damage to the pool..
ciao
giorgio

Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:

> my favourite is the one in the topleft corner, closely followed by the
> logo in the bottomright corner. Or maybe the topleft one combined with
> the white logo of the bottomright one, so that "AIDA" is highlighted.

So most of you like the leaf, so we can proceed with a leaf based design.

But let we just discuss a bit stylistic A design a bit too. Try too look
at them again and maybe again after an hour,  then describe your
feelings. Do the same also for leaf based designs. You'll see that you
have a bit different feelings comparing to a first impression you had.

Remember, best designs are not necessary nice on first impression!

       http://www.aidaweb.si/logo/proposals.html

Best regards
JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida logo proposals - second round

Jimmie Houchin-3
Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hi Holger, welcome to the list!
>
> Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:
>
>> my favourite is the one in the topleft corner, closely followed by the
>> logo in the bottomright corner. Or maybe the topleft one combined with
>> the white logo of the bottomright one, so that "AIDA" is highlighted.
>
> So most of you like the leaf, so we can proceed with a leaf based design.
>
> But let we just discuss a bit stylistic A design a bit too. Try too look
> at them again and maybe again after an hour,  then describe your
> feelings. Do the same also for leaf based designs. You'll see that you
> have a bit different feelings comparing to a first impression you had.
>
> Remember, best designs are not necessary nice on first impression!
>
> http://www.aidaweb.si/logo/proposals.html

I too very much like both the top left and the bottom right.
I also think the second row middle can be nice, but I would like it
better if it had the leaf from the bottom right.

With regards to the stylistic A(IDA)s, I prefer the third row versions,
but I am not so sure on the colors.

With regards to the bottom right. I think a version with AIDA of similar
size to the top left, and without the smalltalk web application, would
be a nice compliment to the top left one.

Maybe even some versions like those that work transparently with the
background color of the web page.

Not a graphic designer. Just throwing out some ideas.

Looking good.

Thanks.

Jimmie

Re: Aida logo proposals - second round

Janko Mivšek
Dear Nadja and others,

I think that we can conclude that a leaf based design is our favorite,
with first, second in second row and last one (below Swazoo) as most
preferred choices. And with a simple font. Nadja, what I would propose
now is to try to make one logo with leaf and a font, but apply it on
different ways, like in first and last variant, and second too. And in a
header of website for instance. So that we will have an universal logo,
applicable in many ways.

Another thought: shall we add 'web' to AIDA too? AIDAweb or something to
make more clear distinction from Aida opera and that people will know
what is about here?

Other possibility is as in last logo: a whole name: Aida/Web, Smalltalk
web application server, but that is long. Maybe simply "Smalltalk for
the web" or something? Or maybe a current slogan on Aida's website:
"This is how the Web works!" ?

But again, those are already variants, or "applications" of basic logo
in different situations.

Janko

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Janko Mivšek wrote:
>> Hi Holger, welcome to the list!
>>
>> Holger Kleinsorgen wrote:
>>
>>> my favourite is the one in the topleft corner, closely followed by the
>>> logo in the bottomright corner. Or maybe the topleft one combined with
>>> the white logo of the bottomright one, so that "AIDA" is highlighted.
>> So most of you like the leaf, so we can proceed with a leaf based design.
>>
>> But let we just discuss a bit stylistic A design a bit too. Try too look
>> at them again and maybe again after an hour,  then describe your
>> feelings. Do the same also for leaf based designs. You'll see that you
>> have a bit different feelings comparing to a first impression you had.
>>
>> Remember, best designs are not necessary nice on first impression!
>>
>> http://www.aidaweb.si/logo/proposals.html
>
> I too very much like both the top left and the bottom right.
> I also think the second row middle can be nice, but I would like it
> better if it had the leaf from the bottom right.
>
> With regards to the stylistic A(IDA)s, I prefer the third row versions,
> but I am not so sure on the colors.
>
> With regards to the bottom right. I think a version with AIDA of similar
> size to the top left, and without the smalltalk web application, would
> be a nice compliment to the top left one.
>
> Maybe even some versions like those that work transparently with the
> background color of the web page.
>
> Not a graphic designer. Just throwing out some ideas.
>
> Looking good.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jimmie

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida logo proposals - second round

Nicholas Moore

Janko Mivšek wrote:
Dear Nadja and others,

I think that we can conclude that a leaf based design is our favorite,
with first, second in second row and last one (below Swazoo) as most
preferred choices. And with a simple font. Nadja, what I would propose
now is to try to make one logo with leaf and a font, but apply it on
different ways, like in first and last variant, and second too. And in a
header of website for instance. So that we will have an universal logo,
applicable in many ways.

Another thought: shall we add 'web' to AIDA too? AIDAweb or something to
make more clear distinction from Aida opera and that people will know
what is about here?

AIDAweb is good and says everything.
Other possibility is as in last logo: a whole name: Aida/Web, Smalltalk
web application server, but that is long. Maybe simply "Smalltalk for
the web" or something? Or maybe a current slogan on Aida's website:
"This is how the Web works!" ?

I think this is a second topic. The logo is an image which gives the deep symbolic associations. I like the leaf because it invokes the beauty and simplicity of nature as well as it's deep complexity. By linking it with AIDAweb we are picking up on those notions of elegance, power and fractal nature.

 The 'strapline' ('How the web was meant to work' 'Smalltalk is more fun' or whatever) extends and expands the image with context, like PostgresSQL does. Now we have a good idea about the logo it is probably timely to address the strapline.  What do you think?
But again, those are already variants, or "applications" of basic logo
in different situations.

Janko

Nicholas

--
NJM TSR-i

Nicholas J Moore

Re: Aida logo proposals - second round

Dirk Verleysen-2
"Makes the Web Work" or "The Future Now" ?

Nicholas Moore wrote:

Janko Mivšek wrote:
[...]

[verleysen.net]
Rijgerstraat 58 · 9310 Moorsel · Belgium
Phone +32 53 21 15 10 · Mobile +32 477 26 09 93

http://www.verleysen.net

Re: Aida logo proposals - second round

Janko Mivšek
Hi Nicolas,

Nicholas Moore wrote:

> The logo is an image which gives the
> deep symbolic associations. I like the leaf because it invokes the
> beauty and simplicity of nature as well as it's deep complexity. By
> linking it with AIDAweb we are picking up on those notions of elegance,
> power and fractal nature.

Very well said! That's what I actually had in mind during all my work on
Aida: tackling complexity by simplicity, as nature does! And I often go
to the nature, specially mountains for the inspiration. Nature is such a
  rich and deep teacher of those three things: simplicity, complexity,
beauty. So a leaf is really perfect symbol for Aida, thank you for
pointing that out.

Janko