Aida on Gemstone

garduino
Hi:

I've heard Janko telling that Aida is already ported to Gemstone. I want to know the status of the port, how to test it, features, plans, etc.

Any point about info about this topic will be useful to me.

Cheers.

--
Germán S. Arduino
http://www.arsol.biz

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Nicolas Petton
Le jeudi 20 novembre 2008 à 09:51 -0200, Germán Arduino a écrit :
> Hi:
>
> I've heard Janko telling that Aida is already ported to Gemstone. I
> want to know the status of the port, how to test it, features, plans,
> etc.
>
> Any point about info about this topic will be useful to me.

You can download GLASS from here:
http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html

The latest version of Aida is the stable 5.6, and can be downloaded from
here: http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida

and Swazoo2: http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/swazoo2
(I don't know if Swazoo is already included in GLASS)

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Rob Rothwell
Let me know if you can get it running on GLASS...I tried back in...June?  July?  and wasn't able to get it running...

Rob

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:34 AM, nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le jeudi 20 novembre 2008 à 09:51 -0200, Germán Arduino a écrit :
> Hi:
>
> I've heard Janko telling that Aida is already ported to Gemstone. I
> want to know the status of the port, how to test it, features, plans,
> etc.
>
> Any point about info about this topic will be useful to me.

You can download GLASS from here:
http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html

The latest version of Aida is the stable 5.6, and can be downloaded from
here: http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida

and Swazoo2: http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/swazoo2
(I don't know if Swazoo is already included in GLASS)

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.aidaweb.si
           ___
         ooooooo
        OOOOOOOOO
       |Smalltalk|
        OOOOOOOOO
         ooooooo
          \   /
           [|]

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Dale

----- "Germán Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Hi:
|
| I've heard Janko telling that Aida is already ported to Gemstone. I
| want to know the status of the port, how to test it, features, plans,
| etc.
|
| Any point about info about this topic will be useful to me.

Germán,

Janko did a port of Aida to GLASS at the beginning of this year and the packages are in http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida. It looks like Aida-5.6 is available there.

If I'm not mistaken, the version of Swazoo that is used in GLASS is fairly old. I have just recently gotten the latest versions of Hyper and Sport from Bruce running in GLASS, so I would think that an updated version of Swazoo could be done as well.

I'm juggling a number of things at the moment, but I'd definitely like to help where I can.

Dale

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Janko Mivšek
Hi all,

To complement Nico's answer a bit: to run Aida on GLASS, you essentially
need just two steps:

        1. download, install and run "official" GLASS,
        2. load Aida in that GLASS and run Aida instead!

To load Aida you need to first load latest Swazoo, then load latest
Aida, both from http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/

I hope this helps

Janko

nico wrote:

> Le jeudi 20 novembre 2008 à 09:51 -0200, Germán Arduino a écrit :
>> Hi:
>>
>> I've heard Janko telling that Aida is already ported to Gemstone. I
>> want to know the status of the port, how to test it, features, plans,
>> etc.
>>
>> Any point about info about this topic will be useful to me.
>
> You can download GLASS from here:
> http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html
>
> The latest version of Aida is the stable 5.6, and can be downloaded from
> here: http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida
>
> and Swazoo2: http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/swazoo2
> (I don't know if Swazoo is already included in GLASS)
>
> Cheers!
>
> Nico

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Janko Mivšek
Dale Henrichs wrote:

> | I've heard Janko telling that Aida is already ported to Gemstone. I
> | want to know the status of the port, how to test it, features, plans,
> | etc.

> Janko did a port of Aida to GLASS at the beginning of this year and the packages are in http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida. It looks like Aida-5.6 is available there.

Yep, 5.6, a currently official release.

> If I'm not mistaken, the version of Swazoo that is used in GLASS is fairly old. I have just recently gotten the latest versions of Hyper and Sport from Bruce running in GLASS, so I would think that an updated version of Swazoo could be done as well.

While Swazoo needs just Sport and while I expect that Sport's API didn't
change but it was just extended, I don't see problem to run existing
Swazoo 2 on top of it. But yes, someone need to try and check that first ...

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

garduino
I'm not clear (yet) were/how fit Aida on GLASS image.

AFAIK Gemstone/S run as usual (as a server service) and Gemstone guys developed Squeak tools to access/work with to such server.

Then, if I have the Squeak image (GemTools) and if I load on such image a normal Aida, I will not have nothing related with Gemstone. The same if I connect from GemTools to Gemstone/S, open the Monticello of Gemstone/S and load Aida, except that exist an Aida version with some features to work with Gemstone.

I'm wrong?

Any clarification will be useful to me. (I've all these tools installed and working, I meant: The GLASS appliance on a VMWare running on an Ubuntu 64 bits, and also the Squeak tools and Squeak image with such Gemstone tools).

Thanks in advance.
Germán.

2008/11/20 Rob Rothwell <[hidden email]>
Let me know if you can get it running on GLASS...I tried back in...June?  July?  and wasn't able to get it running...

Rob

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 9:34 AM, nico <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le jeudi 20 novembre 2008 à 09:51 -0200, Germán Arduino a écrit :
> Hi:
>
> I've heard Janko telling that Aida is already ported to Gemstone. I
> want to know the status of the port, how to test it, features, plans,
> etc.
>
> Any point about info about this topic will be useful to me.

You can download GLASS from here:
http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html

The latest version of Aida is the stable 5.6, and can be downloaded from
here: http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida

and Swazoo2: http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/swazoo2
(I don't know if Swazoo is already included in GLASS)

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.aidaweb.si
           ___
         ooooooo
        OOOOOOOOO
       |Smalltalk|
        OOOOOOOOO
         ooooooo
          \   /
           [|]

Re: Aida on Gemstone

Dale

----- "Germán Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I'm not clear (yet) were/how fit Aida on GLASS image.
|
| AFAIK Gemstone/S run as usual (as a server service) and Gemstone guys
| developed Squeak tools to access/work with to such server.
|
| Then, if I have the Squeak image (GemTools) and if I load on such
| image a normal Aida, I will not have nothing related with Gemstone.

This is correct.

| The same if I connect from GemTools to Gemstone/S, open the Monticello
| of Gemstone/S and load Aida, except that exist an Aida version with
| some features to work with Gemstone.

This is correct.

| I'm wrong?

It is a little bit confusing. If you are doing development in both Squeak and GemStone, I would completely separate the two Squeak images. Use one for doing GemStone developement and only use the GemStone browsers. Use the other image for doing only Squeak-based work.

| Any clarification will be useful to me. (I've all these tools
| installed and working, I meant: The GLASS appliance on a VMWare
| running on an Ubuntu 64 bits, and also the Squeak tools and Squeak
| image with such Gemstone tools).

You should be able to use your GLASS appliance and load AIDA into the appliance using the GemStone/S Monticello browser. I would suggest that you use the version of Aida that's on GemSource (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida.html), since Janko was successful in getting it running on GLASS.

Once you have things loaded into GemStone, you will want to modify the startSeaside_Hyper scrip (in /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin) to launch Aida instead of Seaside. Then manually launch the script on the appliance using a port (say 9001). You should be able to aim a browser at port 9001 and see Aida served up.

If you hit problems send mail to this list and I'll help you work through the issues. When we've got it working, I'll include a startAida_Swazoo script in future releases of GLASS.

Dale

Re: Aida on Gemstone

garduino
Hia Dale:

Thanks by the points.

I will invest some time on Aida/Gemstone and be sure I will need help :)

Cheers.
Germán.

2008/11/20 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>

----- "Germán Arduino" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Hi:
|
| I've heard Janko telling that Aida is already ported to Gemstone. I
| want to know the status of the port, how to test it, features, plans,
| etc.
|
| Any point about info about this topic will be useful to me.

Germán,

Janko did a port of Aida to GLASS at the beginning of this year and the packages are in http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida. It looks like Aida-5.6 is available there.

If I'm not mistaken, the version of Swazoo that is used in GLASS is fairly old. I have just recently gotten the latest versions of Hyper and Sport from Bruce running in GLASS, so I would think that an updated version of Swazoo could be done as well.

I'm juggling a number of things at the moment, but I'd definitely like to help where I can.

Dale

Re: Aida on Gemstone

garduino
HI Janko:

As I've said before I will invest some time with Aida/Gemstone.

As far as I figure out how to build the puzzle, I will try to test latest Swazoo.

Cheers.

2008/11/20 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
Dale Henrichs wrote:

> | I've heard Janko telling that Aida is already ported to Gemstone. I
> | want to know the status of the port, how to test it, features, plans,
> | etc.

> Janko did a port of Aida to GLASS at the beginning of this year and the packages are in http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida. It looks like Aida-5.6 is available there.

Yep, 5.6, a currently official release.

> If I'm not mistaken, the version of Swazoo that is used in GLASS is fairly old. I have just recently gotten the latest versions of Hyper and Sport from Bruce running in GLASS, so I would think that an updated version of Swazoo could be done as well.

While Swazoo needs just Sport and while I expect that Sport's API didn't
change but it was just extended, I don't see problem to run existing
Swazoo 2 on top of it. But yes, someone need to try and check that first ...

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Aida on Gemstone

garduino
Hi Dale (again):

2008/11/20 Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]>

It is a little bit confusing. If you are doing development in both Squeak and GemStone, I would completely separate the two Squeak images. Use one for doing GemStone developement and only use the GemStone browsers. Use the other image for doing only Squeak-based work.

Do you means that independently of the machine on were I'm working I should use the Gemstone/S from the server and its tools to develop Gemstone applications? Sorry if the question look very basic, but....I'm newbie yet with Gemstone. But I've plans to invest time on Gemstone.

You should be able to use your GLASS appliance and load AIDA into the appliance using the GemStone/S Monticello browser. I would suggest that you use the version of Aida that's on GemSource (http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/Aida.html), since Janko was successful in getting it running on GLASS.

Ok, I tried and I've an error when I try to open the repository from the GemStone/S Monticello browser, but don't worry, I've a bit older version of the appliance. Need to download the newest, will try the weekend, being that is near 1GB.

Once you have things loaded into GemStone, you will want to modify the startSeaside_Hyper scrip (in /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin) to launch Aida instead of Seaside. Then manually launch the script on the appliance using a port (say 9001). You should be able to aim a browser at port 9001 and see Aida served up.

Ahh, ok. I was checking the script and saw that Swazoo is used to start Seaside (I don't were aware of so). That means that you aren't using Comanche and instead Swazoo on GLASS ?

If you hit problems send mail to this list and I'll help you work through the issues. When we've got it working, I'll include a startAida_Swazoo script in future releases of GLASS.

Thanks Dale! I will be asking surely!

Being that I'm newbie also with Gesmtone I've other doubts I will be asking on GLASS list.

Cheers.
Germán.